hey guys what in the world am i doing wrong? 4th ps3 to die!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

im not sure what i could be doing to cuase this but last week my 4th ps3 has died. all 3 fied of bluray drive failure, they would play dvd and cds but not blurays. my first was a 40gig fat that lasted about a year to a year and a half,my 2nd and 3rd were 120gig slims and they dies with in 6 months and now my 160gig slim has died after a little more tha 2 years. i cant figure it out.Im the only one in my house that uses it or goes near it so i know its not been knocked over ect. i keep my room very cold year round thx to my window unit ac. the ps3's are in a good location with max air flow. I keep them clean. i dont leave them on for exteended time. 3 or 4 hour at a time MAX game sessions, normaly a couple hours at the most. Whn i use the system i cut it on via the controller,click on the disk icon and play the game, when i get done i hold down the home button on the controller to exit the game and then shut the system off the same way and leave it in stand by/off. iv tried leaveing game disk in the system as well as makeing sure i take the disk out each time with my past systems. iv even tried with one of my past systems to keep it covvered with a pillow case when not in use. Im just at my witts end. i just bought my 5th ps3 today and i about to hook it all up. Im so frustrated i almost bought a 3ds instead and figured to just game on a poratable for the rest of this gen lol. i just dont get what the problem. I even went so far as to buy one of those fancy and pricey battery back up surge protectors systems when i bought the last system thinking i might be the victim of brown outs or something. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? what i migt be doing wrong. And i swear im not trolling or any thing. Id just give up and move on to something else but my health is not so good and im stuck in my room most of the time and this ps3 is one of the few things i have to enjoy, but it still frustrates me that this keeps happaning. And when it happens it happens all of a sudden, no real warrning signs. this last time i had been playing ME2, every thing was working great, the next morning i went to play and the system would not loud the disk, it would make a clunky sound about a min after i put the disk in then nothing.

every now and then i could get it to load the game as the little disk icon would show up on the xlb but when i clicked it it would go to a black screen like it was going to load, but then it would just kick be back to the xlb. i even tried turning the system on its side and even upside down like i used to do with my ps1 but it didnt help. most of the time it would not even load the game on the xlb, just make a clunking sound. yet would play DVD and cds fine as well as psn games. i even tried a bluray disk cleaner that was supposed to clean the laser lens in the bluray player. didnt help ether. Any way im open to suggestions.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
do u clean it from time to time? use a small powered vacuum to clean the vents. does it have a lot of room to breath? for the hot air to escape. is ur room hot/humid to the point where ur ps3 might get hotter faster? im not sure what u doing maybe its bad luck, maybe its something ur doing and not noticing it. but im on my 60gb ps3 which i upgraded to a 1tb hdd. i have had that ps3 since launch of 2006 when it was released and honestly i havent had not one single issue with it, of course it freezes on certain games from time to time but thats the games fault most of the time. but what i do i have a separate area for my ps3 alone nothin around it, and cool air always hitting it and i clean the vents once a week, and once a week i also let it rest and not use it at all. but most of the time its running 24/7
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wild_Card

rgr that, yea iv got it a well vented area, i keep my room super cold becuase iv always liked it cold. i have a window AC That runs 24/7 set on 65f dagrees in the summer and on vent in the winter so it cant be a heat issue. The ps3 is set on a small table next to my TV stand, its all by itself out in the open. not in any kind of a cabnit ect.Its got almost a foot of room rear and to the sides. with my first 2 i was just like you, vac'ed it out a couple times a week ect. the last two i just kept dusted with a feather duster. no real dust build up in the vents at all. Also on my first 3 i had bought a WD brand 320 gig HDD that i put in, but just on a hunch i figured maybe that was the problem so on my last ps3 i didnt put it in, just kept the stock 160 gig drive wich of course didnt seem to help:( . Thank you for the reply though.

JamesHarden98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JamesHarden98
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts

Before you I have never heard of someone who has consistent problems with the ps3

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Are you purchasing your systems at Gamestop? A friend of mine used to work there and he said they'd frequently put used systems in nice boxes and sell them as new products.

Do you play a lot of Call of Duty games? I remember when I was playing MW2, my system would get very hot.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Do you have trouble with the electricity at home? Outages?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I say you should just chalk this up as a coincidence and one hell of a streak of bad luck.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Are you purchasing your systems at Gamestop? A friend of mine used to work there and he said they'd frequently put used systems in nice boxes and sell them as new products.

Do you play a lot of Call of Duty games? I remember when I was playing MW2, my system would get very hot.

Bigboi500

No offense, but neither of the scenarios you specify above can be verified as fact, and therefor rather on the irresponsible side as far as advice or trouble-shooting goes. I don't work at GameStop, nor do I own stock, so I have no vested interest here and still, the idea of passing along what your amoral "friend" may or may not have done as an employee there, when someone is looking for an actual, verifiable cause of electronic failure, is spurious at best.

I would be more inclined to the theory of improper electrical service being the cause of the trouble, but even then, it's a stretch.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JoKeR_421

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

MonkeySpot

No offense, but neither of the scenarios you specify above can be verified as fact, and therefor rather on the irresponsible side as far as advice or trouble-shooting goes. I don't work at GameStop, nor do I own stock, so I have no vested interest here and still, the idea of passing along what your amoral "friend" may or may not have done as an employee there, when someone is looking for an actual, verifiable cause of electronic failure, is spurious at best.

I would be more inclined to the theory of improper electrical service being the cause of the trouble, but even then, it's a stretch.

not only that, but i work at GS and that is NOT true. we dont put in used products in new boxes and sell em as new. whoever told u that is just lying or plain hates gs. which i dont blame, cuz the few thigns i can say gs sucks at is when u trade in a game u barely get anything for it, yet we sell it for almost 3x the amount u paid for it. but when u buy a new system or game, they are brand new.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

JoKeR_421

not only that, but i work at GS and that is NOT true. we dont put in used products in new boxes and sell em as new. whoever told u that is just lying or plain hates gs. which i dont blame, cuz the few thigns i can say gs sucks at is when u trade in a game u barely get anything for it, yet we sell it for almost 3x the amount u paid for it. but when u buy a new system or game, they are brand new.

True, I cannot verify what he said to be true or false, but I do know for a fact they open games, remove the content and then sell them as new products. People who have worked there also say some employees are allowed to take those games home and play them, then bring them back and sell them as new, allegedly

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoKeR_421

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"][QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Bigboi500

True, I cannot verify what he said to be true or false, but I do know for a fact they open games, remove the content and then sell them as new products. People who have worked there also say some employees are allowed to take those games home and play them, then bring them back and sell them as new, allegedly

yea, the open copies u see on the shelf the disks are tucked away in different drawer, thats why if they ever offer u that, u can deny it and ask for a sealed one. sometimes depending on who is helpin u can be a prick and give u the opened one
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

im not sure what i could be doing to cuase this but last week my 4th ps3 has died. all 3 fied of bluray drive failure....

Wild_Card

Stop buying refurbished systems ;)

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wild_Card

[QUOTE="Wild_Card"]

im not sure what i could be doing to cuase this but last week my 4th ps3 has died. all 3 fied of bluray drive failure....

Kravyn81

im not buying refurbs, every system i bought was brand new.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wild_Card

Do you have trouble with the electricity at home? Outages?

valium88
only during storms, and then i usualy unplug my stuff, but even still ting with the last system iv been running my ps3 on a very pricy battery back up surge protector. when the power does go out my ps3,TV and PC run on the battery back up. it can run for about 30in on the battery but i always run them just long enough to shut them down.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wild_Card

I say you should just chalk this up as a coincidence and one hell of a streak of bad luck.

Vari3ty
There is no doubt that i have bad luck lol.B 4 systemsin 4 years or less going badeems treach even for my luck...or lack of.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wild_Card

Thanks for all the replies y one. if any one else can think of any thing please feel free to let me know.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Is your room really hot? Do you play an extraordinary number of hours per day? It seems pretty extreme to burn out 4 systems. I feel like my PS3 has had the worst possible conditions (extended gaming sessions, poor airflow, subtropical climate) and it's still going strong for 3 years. Now under these circumstances I could see a system burning out, but seems like something extreme has to be going on to go through 4 systems in 4 years.
Bladex2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bladex2k
Member since 2003 • 2755 Posts

why buy new systems just buy a bd drive off of ebay and swap them

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

you're saying that your ps3 is one of the few things you use in your spare time? it may just be overworked, even if they arent all day sessions.

beyond that, it seems like you take really good care of your consoles (not saying that using them is bad for them :P ). the only thing you didnt mention in your post is humidity. your air conditioner should reduce it, but it could still be a factor if you live in a particularly humid climate.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonkeySpot

you're saying that your ps3 is one of the few things you use in your spare time? it may just be overworked, even if they arent all day sessions.

beyond that, it seems like you take really good care of your consoles (not saying that using them is bad for them :P ). the only thing you didnt mention in your post is humidity. your air conditioner should reduce it, but it could still be a factor if you live in a particularly humid climate.

LoG-Sacrament

I'm going to say that could be possible, but HIGHLY unlikely. My Slim has been powered up and connected to the Net pretty much every day, 24/7/365, without any problems. Humidity CAN indeed be a multiplier for corrosion and eventual break-down of electronics, however, and you have a good point there.

;)

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
[QUOTE="Kravyn81"]

[QUOTE="Wild_Card"]

Wild_Card

im not buying refurbs, every system i bought was brand new.

Well I don't know what you want me to tell you except you have broken the law of averages. There's no way that should happen to the same person four times on brand new systems. My advice: Invest in one of those extended warranties they offer.
Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1578 Posts
Your PS3 sounds like an XBOX :/, my Fat PS3 had the same problem, the Blu-ray drive had errors on it, it wouldnt play Blu-ray discs but only normal dvds. My PS3 is on the PS2 on top of the computer. I use it a lot at the moment, but mainly DVD's.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Electrical wiring in your home if you have had 4 PS3's die on you. Could be a short circuit in that plug that you have been using.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Could just be bad luck, btw i'm on my 4th PS3 (launch model ylod, replacement from that had some HDMI trouble, still have the 80gb replacement from that but I bought a slim because the Wireless is really weak on the 80gb model, I went from 30% to 90% wireless signal when i got the slim) and 7th 360 (Launch, Replacment Launch, bough an Elite after the other RROD, Elite replacement from MS after RROD, Elite Replacement that had the audio go out, bought a Slim and then it's HDMI died 2 years later and I purchased another slim.) while still having the same Launch Wii. I have had more replacement consoles this gen then any previous gen. I did have 3 PS2 units over the course of 7 years too. Original Xbox and Gamecube still work fine.

Dust is also a killer, when I was in a College apartment I would dust them and the very next day the dust would be back. Couldn't have been good for them to intake all that dust.

If your keeping it cool and letting it have good airflow all I can think of is dust or bad luck. Electronics can just randomly go for no reason some times. More than likely your just getting really bad luck.

But seriously, these companies should replace their products free of charge as long as theirs no accidental damage. Its not our fault they cheap out on parts and can randomly die easily.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

Could just be bad luck, btw i'm on my 4th PS3 (launch model ylod, replacement from that had some HDMI trouble, still have the 80gb replacement from that but I bought a slim because the Wireless is really weak on the 80gb model, I went from 30% to 90% wireless signal when i got the slim) and 7th 360 (Launch, Replacment Launch, bough an Elite after the other RROD, Elite replacement from MS after RROD, Elite Replacement that had the audio go out, bought a Slim and then it's HDMI died 2 years later and I purchased another slim.)

ryangcnx-2

Oh my GAWD, man... And you still game on this gen???

:?

... You're a better man than I, Gunga-Din.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]

Could just be bad luck, btw i'm on my 4th PS3 (launch model ylod, replacement from that had some HDMI trouble, still have the 80gb replacement from that but I bought a slim because the Wireless is really weak on the 80gb model, I went from 30% to 90% wireless signal when i got the slim) and 7th 360 (Launch, Replacment Launch, bough an Elite after the other RROD, Elite replacement from MS after RROD, Elite Replacement that had the audio go out, bought a Slim and then it's HDMI died 2 years later and I purchased another slim.)

MonkeySpot

Oh my GAWD, man... And you still game on this gen???

:?

... You're a better man than I, Gunga-Din.

Yeah...... lol, I have collected way to many games to just not replace the system (this gen exceeds previous gens in amount of games). I am one of those that never trade in anything and like to go back to older games, and my PC doesn't cover all the genres that I love (or certain games that I just prefer on consoles). I pretty much love all types games aside from sports games (with the exception of snowboarding and racing).

So yeah, I replaced them a couple of times, but I honestly put pretty much most of my freetime into gaming so in reality I have ton's of hours wrapped up into these systems. But thats the #1 reason I Love Nintendo, they make durable reliable hardware, I have never had to replace a Nintendo Console, I have my NES, SNES, N64 and GC all in working order along with my Wii.

I do feel though that this gens hardware hasn't been..... lets say long lasting. Which is why I pray for Backwards Compatability for the next gen consoles.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
leave it in 1 spot and dont move it around. Make sure it has room to breathe...so nothing surrounding it.. thats pretty much what i do with mine and its still kicking after 4 years
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I had the same problem with the blu-ray drive. I replaced it and everything worked fine. After that my HDD failed. Replaced that and I haven't had any problem since.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Maybe try getting a surge protector / power conditioner. Supposedly they smooth out the flow of electricity to whatever you've got plugged into them.

Might be worth a try - sounds like you're doing everything else possible.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

I don't know why people are talking about wiring and surge protectors, the bluray drive won't fail as a result of that, the power supply or hard drive would, especially if DVD's still play, but Bluray's don't. It's not even the whole drive thats failing, its the lens, the slim models all have 2 lenses, one for DVD and one for Bluray.

You need to stop buying a new console everytime this happens, just go on ebay and buy a new lens for $30 and replace it yourself. There are great guides on youtube to help you through the process.

My best suggestion would be to make sure you quit the game to the main menu, then quit to the XMB, then leave it on for a minute or so before powering down. Also, if the majority of the games you play are COD, then that could also be causing the issue because those games don't have an install, compared to something like uncharted that has a big install, it doesnt work the disk constantly because a lot of the files are on the harddrive. Games like COD have no install and if you pay attention when you play you'll notice that you can always hear the disk going crazy.

I'm not saying thats this is the cause of your problem, just trying to help you think of a solution.