Help with PS3 sound?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sha1gon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sha1gon
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hello, hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I recently hooked my PS3 up to my new tv via HDMI cable, all works well except I have no sound at all. I changed the input on the TV to HDMI and I also changed the sound setting on my PS3 to HDMI...but I still don't have any sound. The only cable I have hooked up is the HDMI, the component cables aren't plugged in. I know the ps3 recognizes the cable because every time I plug it in it pops up asking me if I want to run sound/video via HDMI etc. The ps3/tv/cable are all new so being worn shouldn't be the issue. Does anyone have any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Help is appreciated!
Sugar_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sugar_Bears
[QUOTE="Sha1gon"]Hello, hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I recently hooked my PS3 up to my new tv via HDMI cable, all works well except I have no sound at all. I changed the input on the TV to HDMI and I also changed the sound setting on my PS3 to HDMI...but I still don't have any sound. The only cable I have hooked up is the HDMI, the component cables aren't plugged in. I know the ps3 recognizes the cable because every time I plug it in it pops up asking me if I want to run sound/video via HDMI etc. The ps3/tv/cable are all new so being worn shouldn't be the issue. Does anyone have any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Help is appreciated!

you either have to use the HDMI for sound or video, you can't use one HDMI cable for both. So if you are using the HDMI for video, you should get a sound cable for the other, maybe optical or something, that is what I use. using HDMI for sound is really not necessary, just use it for video if you must.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="Sha1gon"]Hello, hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I recently hooked my PS3 up to my new tv via HDMI cable, all works well except I have no sound at all. I changed the input on the TV to HDMI and I also changed the sound setting on my PS3 to HDMI...but I still don't have any sound. The only cable I have hooked up is the HDMI, the component cables aren't plugged in. I know the ps3 recognizes the cable because every time I plug it in it pops up asking me if I want to run sound/video via HDMI etc. The ps3/tv/cable are all new so being worn shouldn't be the issue. Does anyone have any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Help is appreciated!Sugar_Bears
you either have to use the HDMI for sound or video, you can't use one HDMI cable for both. So if you are using the HDMI for video, you should get a sound cable for the other, maybe optical or something, that is what I use. using HDMI for sound is really not necessary, just use it for video if you must.

not true.. hdmi transmitts both sound and video...

when i connected my ps3 through hdmi i never had any message pop up or nothing....seems wierd that your ps3 does that? is your ps3 connected straight to your tv or are you going to a reciever?

Sha1gon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sha1gon

[QUOTE="Sugar_Bears"][QUOTE="Sha1gon"]Hello, hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I recently hooked my PS3 up to my new tv via HDMI cable, all works well except I have no sound at all. I changed the input on the TV to HDMI and I also changed the sound setting on my PS3 to HDMI...but I still don't have any sound. The only cable I have hooked up is the HDMI, the component cables aren't plugged in. I know the ps3 recognizes the cable because every time I plug it in it pops up asking me if I want to run sound/video via HDMI etc. The ps3/tv/cable are all new so being worn shouldn't be the issue. Does anyone have any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Help is appreciated!KBFloYd

not true.. hdmi transmitts both sound and video...

when i connected my ps3 through hdmi i never had any message pop up or nothing....seems wierd that your ps3 does that? is your ps3 connected straight to your tv or are you going to a reciever?

I don't see why I'd need an additional cable, I've never needed one before. The ps3 is connected directly to the TV. I've tried using the HDMI for video and the component (red/white) cables for sound but I'm still not getting anything. I don't understand why it's not working..I've tried pretty much every 'fix' people have suggested for this problem and none of them have worked.
bpw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bpw8
Member since 2002 • 558 Posts
hdmi is both, but how do you normally get sound? do you have a receiver? or just using tv speakers? did you go through the sound settings where it automatically detects to sounds your device will support?
Sha1gon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sha1gon
hdmi is both, but how do you normally get sound? do you have a receiver? or just using tv speakers? did you go through the sound settings where it automatically detects to sounds your device will support?bpw8
Just through the tv speakers normally. I've tried auto and manual sound settings in the PS3.
Sha1gon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sha1gon
Nobody? =/
Sugar_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sugar_Bears
well, my HDMI is hooked up to the TV & PS3 then use another cord from the PS3 to the receiver. so that's probably why, I should have read this a bit more carefully. lmao
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Try a new HDMI cable!

Go_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Go_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

This happened to me when I moved my PS3 with the HDMI cable I would reccomend you resetting your ps3 by holding down the power button until you hear 2 beeps..worked for me. good luck

Sha1gon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sha1gon
I assure you I have tried all the 'normal' fixes. I've tried different cables and resetting but it's just not giving me sound and I don't understand why.
321orez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 321orez
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts
It's not really a fix, but you can always just use HDMI for video and use your standard audio cable at the same time. I have to do this because my TV has no speakers, so I have to hook the audio cables up to my stereo.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

HDMI carries both video and sound.

One of the following is faulty :

- Your PS3

- The HDMI cable

- The HDMI socket on the TV

1. Plug the HDMI cable into a different HDMI socket on the TV, if available

2. Swap out the HDMI cable

3. When turning on your PS3, keep the power button pushed down until it beeps twice, that will reset its input/output to factory default

4. At this point either the HDMI socket on the TV is faulty, or the PS3 is faulty. Troubleshoot until you figure out which, and use the Sony warrenty service if necessary.