Help me understand Folding@home.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
I just got my PS3 today, and idcided to check out that Folding@home. I seriously dont know whats going on in that. All I see is a bunch of twitching, moving atoms and thats it. Is that really all there is to folding@home? Seems very boring to me.
libthegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 libthegod
Member since 2006 • 1517 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

It's not a game ^^

HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

This is a network that Stanford University created. All of the lights that you see on the globe are PS3s that are hooked up to the network. The atoms you see are protein strands that are being calculated via your PS3.

Basically all home is--is you allowing SU to daisy chain your PS3 to other PS3s around the world. This allows them to use the amazing processor in the PS3 to make enormous calculations for the purpose of studying cancer, alzhiemers, and other diseases.

It is not a game, just a way to help out society when you are not using your PS3.

Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
What is there to understand? The purpose of F@H is to allow Stanford University to use the processing power of each PS3 connected to their main computer, to crunch some numbers, which in turn allows for their system to find cures for certain illnesses. That's pretty much all there is to it. It isn't something that's requiredof all PS3 owners to do. But, it does allow for peace of mind, to know that you are, at the very least, helping. Even if in some small, miniscule way.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
I thought you have to have you PS3 on and be connected online to do it? Also, how dI do ohter things while still running Folding@home. Say for instance I wanted to play resistence while Folding @home is happeing. How do I get it so it can do that?
Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
I thought you have to have you PS3 on and be connected online to do it? Also, how dI do ohter things while still running Folding@home. Say for instance I wanted to play resistence while Folding @home is happeing. How do I get it so it can do that?
black_awpN1

Cant
Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
You do need to have the system on so that F@H can work. As for multitasking while folding, it's not possible.
Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts

How many work units do you guys have completed? I have 11.