HELP ..... 110V - 220V Power for north american ps3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaclough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gaclough
Member since 2005 • 214 Posts

In order to be able to use my North American (110V) ps3 in Australia (240V) do i need a step down converter? I have heard conflicting reports and want to hear from anyone who may have been in a similar situation.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated..... many thanks.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts
Well I use a Japanese PS3 and I live in Europe, all I needed was a european power cable and it worked flawlessly
huriona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 huriona
Member since 2003 • 361 Posts

I bought an American PS3 (110V) and I only have 220V where I live. I've been using a converter since July last year and haven't had any problems at all. Just make sure you buy a converter with enough power (in watts). I don't remenber what I got but I can PM you later.

One other thing, if you're worried about warranty you might want to check if using a voltage converter voids the warranty. Some companies have certain rules, I'm not sure about Sony, though.

psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts
i dont know what model u have but i think the 20 and 60 have the capability to work under 110 and 200 with no probs
WalterPeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WalterPeck
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts

i dont know what model u have but i think the 20 and 60 have the capability to work under 110 and 200 with no probspsyum

Nope. My 20Gb is rated at 120V ONLY. If the bottom of your PS3 says 120V~240V, all you will need is a new power cable to interface with Australian wall outlets. If it only says 120V, you'll need a stepdown transformer to go from 120V to 220V. Said transformer should come with the Australian wall plug as an accessory.

gaclough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gaclough
Member since 2005 • 214 Posts

UPDATE: I just got back to OZ and plugged my system in without the converter and it worked flawlessly. My 80 GB system says only regulated for 120V but I callled Sony and they said it will work with out any power converter. Actually the guy told me NOT to use the step down converter because it might cause the power flow to be unstable and could damage the system.

Thanks everyone for your help

dope2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dope2u
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
hi guys, i have just got the MGS4 bundle from the states n came back 2 the UK....i contacted sony n they havnt given me a straight yes or no answer furthermore on the sony knowledge centre they clearly state "do not take your north american ps3 and use it abroad as it only supports a power supply of 120v 60hz and we have no information regarding the use of converters".....i am extremely puzzled and pissed...please help a guy in need...cheers
zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 zaid55
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
Well i used to use a step down transformer for my 110v xbox for 220v.
A quick question.. If i buy a ps3 from japan will it display everything in english. Like the menus,etc. And how much cheaper is it
dope2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dope2u
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
where did u get ur step down transformer can u post a link..thx