Heavenly sword sold better then many people think

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whacker40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 whacker40
Member since 2007 • 311 Posts

so i was just surfing the net, as per usual, and came upon this.

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6978

Not sure if everyone already knows this, but sure shocked me! It seems it sold a lot better then some people think. good for sony. looks like sales in other regions really saved this game from being a complete flop. the game deserved the sales.

if they made the game about 6-7 hours longer, bet it could of sold even more.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts

To be quite frank, I haven't even touched Heavenly Sword (new PS3 owner, too many good games out right now), but it is definitely in my "To-Buy" list when price goes down.

Any game that has sold at least a million copies, especially a PS3 exclusive, is, in my book, a best-seller that didn't flunk in sales to my eyes.

Too bad I'm too preoccupied with MGS4 at the moment though.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

That's what I have said in another one of these no heavenly sword 2 posts. It sold pretty well considering the userbase at the time. A million copies worldwide aint that bad, unless it is an ultimate exclusive game like MGS4 or FF13. For a new IP and with quite a bit of negativity against the game, it fared well. The only thing I could think of is that ninja theory didn't have a lot of money to begin with and so that is what they are complaining about. PS3 can sell if done right. GTA 4 raised sales of PS3 and it doesn't even have the exclusive content like the 360. Developers should definitely reevaluate whether or not they can sell on the system.

We have:

Heavenly Sword

Ratchet and Clank

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Resistance

Motorstorm

GT 5 Prologue

Devil May Cry 4

GTA 4

COD 4

Need For Speed Prostreet

Guitar Hero 3

MGS 4

All of those games reach close to or above a million worldwide on PS3 alone .

The whole argument about "no one will buy it, if it is on PS3" is over.

Deominator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deominator
Member since 2003 • 852 Posts
I bet that it only selling 60,000 copies in Japan is what got the sequel cancelled. Since it busted over one million worldwide it should have been given another shot. I plan on buying it when I can get it for $20-$30. The lowest I have had a shot at it for so far is $40 and that's too much for such a short game. Length could have been addressed in the sequel, but now that is not really an issue unless another publisher picks it up and Sony doesn't hold some crazy license to the IP that wouldn't allow that.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamenerd15
The combat system itself seemed cool. It was also nice how you could switch styles in mid combo as well. The only thing I gather is that there was not enough enemy diversity and the game was too short. The a.i. was also a bit dumb. Dynasty Warriors could learn a thing or two from this game.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamenerd15

Japan doesn't buy anything anymore anyway other than the casual Wii stuff, Mario and JRPG's. They like to play the samething over and over. That is why Dynasty Warrios 6 sold like half a million alone over there and Pokemon still comes out with the exact same game again and again. Wii Fit and Sports are still topping the charts. Let us not forget that Wii does not come with the Wii in that region. Anyway, most games are failures in Japan, so that isn't really it. Sony needs to have a stronger userbase in North America. I think in NA PS3 has four and half million users, while the 360 has 11 million. I am not saying leave Japan out, but I mean let's face it they like DS and Wii more than PS3. The PS3 basically sells about 10,000 or so a week. I mean sure there will be the occasional game that makes sales spike up for a week or two like MGS 4, but PS3 and especially 360 are dead horses in Japan. I think Sony needs to start treating Europe better and letting games come out over there first and not last. Japan has a lot of things we don't like PS1 games on the store and quite a few games that have yet to come out in english like Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles. They also get demos and actual games before anybody else too.

I got a little off topic, but HS was going to fail there anyway and that isn't the reason most likely.

jblazesolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jblazesolid
Member since 2008 • 177 Posts
heavenly sword is a cool game i loved it
AaronHullLfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AaronHullLfc
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

That's what I have said in another one of these no heavenly sword 2 posts. It sold pretty well considering the userbase at the time. A million copies worldwide aint that bad, unless it is an ultimate exclusive game like MGS4 or FF13. For a new IP and with quite a bit of negativity against the game, it fared well. The only thing I could think of is that ninja theory didn't have a lot of money to begin with and so that is what they are complaining about. PS3 can sell if done right. GTA 4 raised sales of PS3 and it doesn't even have the exclusive content like the 360. Developers should definitely reevaluate whether or not they can sell on the system.

We have:

Heavenly Sword

Ratchet and Clank

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Resistance

Motorstorm

GT 5 Prologue

Devil May Cry 4

GTA 4

COD 4

Need For Speed Prostreet

Guitar Hero 3

MGS 4

All of those games reach close to or above a million worldwide on PS3 alone .

The whole argument about "no one will buy it, if it is on PS3" is over.

gamenerd15
Pro street sold a million or over, Im baffled
Steelpoppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Steelpoppy
Member since 2008 • 371 Posts
Heavenly Sword was a really fun game, but it was just too short for me to buy it for a full $60, let alone $40
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
I love HS, paid 60 for it when it came out and i dont regret it one bit.
ShamrockRovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShamrockRovers
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts

Sony might add trophies to this game (when the trophies are made available:P)

People might buy it just for the trophies

VengenceZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VengenceZero
Member since 2004 • 277 Posts
I loved the demo, but I wasnt about to pay sixty buck for a short game. I might when the price falls some.
fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#13 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
I bet that it only selling 60,000 copies in Japan is what got the sequel cancelled. Since it busted over one million worldwide it should have been given another shot. I plan on buying it when I can get it for $20-$30. The lowest I have had a shot at it for so far is $40 and that's too much for such a short game. Length could have been addressed in the sequel, but now that is not really an issue unless another publisher picks it up and Sony doesn't hold some crazy license to the IP that wouldn't allow that.Deominator
Sony approached Ninja Theory to make Heavenly Sword 2 and they declined. so the sequel wasn't technically canceled because it never existed.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Heavenly Sword was really hyped as a system mover, that is why it was widely considered a failure, because the game didnt sell consoles. The game itself underperformed from what was expected and thats why I am baffled that it is still at full price, Sony needs to give it up and lower the price because I know there are alot of people like me waiting on a price drop.
Maverick128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maverick128
Member since 2006 • 950 Posts

I bet that it only selling 60,000 copies in Japan is what got the sequel cancelled. Since it busted over one million worldwide it should have been given another shot. I plan on buying it when I can get it for $20-$30. The lowest I have had a shot at it for so far is $40 and that's too much for such a short game. Length could have been addressed in the sequel, but now that is not really an issue unless another publisher picks it up and Sony doesn't hold some crazy license to the IP that wouldn't allow that.Deominator

The sequel hasn't been canceled. It was never announced. Ninja Theory canceling HS2 and moving out was just a rumor.

Personally, I loved Heavenly Sword (beaten it 3 times) and hope that one day we will get a sequel.

Blayde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blayde-
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

[QUOTE="Deominator"]I bet that it only selling 60,000 copies in Japan is what got the sequel cancelled. Since it busted over one million worldwide it should have been given another shot. I plan on buying it when I can get it for $20-$30. The lowest I have had a shot at it for so far is $40 and that's too much for such a short game. Length could have been addressed in the sequel, but now that is not really an issue unless another publisher picks it up and Sony doesn't hold some crazy license to the IP that wouldn't allow that.Maverick128

The sequel hasn't been canceled. It was never announced. Ninja Theory canceling HS2 and moving out was just a rumor.

Personally, I loved Heavenly Sword (beaten it 3 times) and hope that one day we will get a sequel.

I believe it has been confirmed that NT will not be making the sequal so right now the series is in limbo. However, I do think that the IP is strong enough to get a sequal.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Well unfortunately for the HS audience Sony doesnt agree with you.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamenerd15

while were going off of vgchartz for sales. Someone commented they didn't believe me about prostreet selling over a million on ps3. http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=12754

there it is.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I passed on it for $30 yesterday, just too short.
AaronHullLfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AaronHullLfc
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

while were going off of vgchartz for sales. Someone commented they didn't believe me about prostreet selling over a million on ps3. http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=12754

there it is.

gamenerd15
OMFG miracles do happen, somebody pinch me
Maverick128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maverick128
Member since 2006 • 950 Posts
I felt the first was worth every penny of the $109.375 worth of Euros I spent on it.
Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts
Ninja Theory did hold a focus group about a sequel. Some of the ideas kicked around were: a male lead, different fighting styles that must be learned, and interactive environments. You can try Googling "Ninja Theory Heavenly Sword Focus Group" to get to the article. I am on 56k :( so it takes forever to link articles for people.
ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts
Ninja Theory did hold a focus group about a sequel. Some of the ideas kicked around were: a male lead, different fighting styles that must be learned, and interactive environments. You can try Googling "Ninja Theory Heavenly Sword Focus Group" to get to the article. I am on 56k :( so it takes forever to link articles for people.Prinze
yeah i heard, a sequel is possible but it depends on future sells and if the fans really want another Heavenly Sword. I for one do wish to see a part 2 of this great adventure and do hope that they continue with the project. I mean, they said they already have a whole trilogy planned so why dont they just finish it. If they add hours to the gameplay and storyline, im sure it would be a successful sequel that would sell well.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
i want HS2 and if Ninja theory wont make it sony let someone else do it