HDMI-DVI D to playstation 3, why isn't it working.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tidusjeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tidusjeff
Member since 2003 • 713 Posts
Just ordered a 10 ft HDMI to DVI D cord on the web and connected the HDMI componet from my playstation 3 and screwed in the DVI-D part into a acer AL1914 LCD monitor. Why the living hell isn't video coming out of it? On a side note I unpluged the audio and video cables that came with my playstation 3 and I even tried enableing HDMI setting buy using a regular TV to try to switch screens.
psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts
well, u have to change the video setting on ur ps3, and also be sure that your monitor is hdcp ready,
iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iamsickofspam
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

Your Monitor probably isnt HDCP compatible.

DARKCHOAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DARKCHOAS
Member since 2003 • 2100 Posts

You have to turn on the HDMI featues on the PS3. It's on the menu screen.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

Turn on the ps3 using the button on the right corner of the console. Press and hold (you should hear 2 beeps) then let go and it will reset the video settings so your tv will be able to show it. Your lcd might not be hdcp compatible.

gusnitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 gusnitro
Member since 2004 • 355 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my dell lcd moniter.I bought like a 40 dollar cord. And i tried everything it didnt work.So then i got my money back. Then from what i researched i guess my moniter wasnt hdcp ready. So if a dell lcd moniter isnt hdcp ready what moniter out there is hdcp ready?
tidusjeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tidusjeff
Member since 2003 • 713 Posts
That's got to be the case.
shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

Just ordered a 10 ft HDMI to DVI D cord on the web and connected the HDMI componet from my playstation 3 and screwed in the DVI-D part into my acer AL1914 LCD monitor. Why the living hell isn't video coming out of it? On a side note I unpluged the audio and video cables that came with my playstation 3 and I even tried enableing HDMI setting buy using a regular TV to try to switch screens. tidusjeff

I use an hdmi cable with dvi adaptor, and it works fine.

Dvi does not carry sound like hdmi, so i use the composite cables that came with the ps3, also i have a sound adaptor from my 360 vga cable so i have to plug the red and white sound cables into the adaptor then plug the adaptor intothe pc audio slot to get sound.

Make sure you have changed your settings in the display setting parts on the ps3's xmb,360 changes them automaticly so your going to have to use the standard composite cale to get the picture on screen then head to display settings change it to hdmi with custom settings check the boxes for 720 and 1080 depending on whatres you wat if you want 720 do not check the box for 1080i.

Then press ok or push right and you have 30 secs to change the av channel to dvi and accept the settings if its working.

Also you will need to change the sound from hdmi to av/scart composite, im not sure what its called in the u.s as its called av/scart in europe, but it will have a picture of the supplied leads next to the setting.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

Just ordered a 10 ft HDMI to DVI D cord on the web and connected the HDMI componet from my playstation 3 and screwed in the DVI-D part into a acer AL1914 LCD monitor. Why the living hell isn't video coming out of it? On a side note I unpluged the audio and video cables that came with my playstation 3 and I even tried enableing HDMI setting buy using a regular TV to try to switch screens. tidusjeff

My ps3 is plugged into a hd-tv that doesnt have an hdmi input, i bought a cheaper hd-tv for my gaming room as the 42" samsung i bought is downstairs and well my lass does;t allow me to play games downstairs since i spent so much money doing the gaming room and she wants the 42" tv downstairs so i have to use a 32" bush hd-tv, as you can tell my lass where the pants in this house.

Anyway i did not think it would work with ps3 in HD as it says nothing about being hdcp compatible i checked the entire manual the online site and nothing so i assumed it was not hdcp compatible but it still works fine displaying both 720p and 1080i.

So either my tv is not hdcp compatibe or it is and it doesnt mention it as a feature.

I was under the impression hdcp was only for hd movies, unless because ps3 games are on blu-ray hd-tv has to be hdcp compatible i thought it was some sort of piracy software for hd-dvd/blu-ray, although im really not sure.

Also i know theres 2 different type of dvi connectors dvi-d & dvi-i i really do not know the difference of these, maybe your tv is supposed to use dvi-i, i really do not know anything about dvi connections i just got a free dvi adaptor at pc world with my hdmi cable and hoped for the best and it worked.

Maybe someone else can tell you whats up with dvi-i and dvi-d.

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

If you like the monitor you currently have and arent interested in spending the money on a new monitor check out this is a great little device and for $150 its still cheaper than a new monitor...

I've used it with three different monitors and the video quality is great on all of them. Its just nice not having to worry about buying an HDCP compliant monitor.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Looks like that monitor isn't HDCP compliant so you need to geta new one. It sucks that the DRM is present even if you are not playing games.