This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GEARSpartan0415
GEARSpartan0415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 GEARSpartan0415
Member since 2006 • 403 Posts

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect your ps3 to a computer monitor that isn't HDCP ready? I'm not sure if mine is, but if anyone knows a way or if my monitor is HDCP ready (Hanns-G JW199D) please tell me.

svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts

It is fine and will work fine as long as the content doesn't require HDCP - the PS3 has no issue requiring HDCP, but the content may or may not

Think most games are fine since people are playing them with component

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

It is fine and will work fine as long as the content doesn't require HDCP - the PS3 has no issue requiring HDCP, but the content may or may not

svenskamerikan

HDMI is always HDCP.
I suggest you read the link in my sig Spartan041
bitedcurbnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bitedcurbnow
Member since 2004 • 1065 Posts

I believe the DVI-D is the only kind of DVI input that supports HDCP, and if that's the case all you will need is a HDMI->DVI-D adapter. I'm not sure if that monitor has DVI-D, but if it doesn't you can use a transcoder like the X2VGA. I've read some reviews of the X2VGA transcoder and it works well for people who want HD at a discount price.

http://www.x2vga.com/

edit: I just looked at your monitor's specs and it indicates that your monitor does indeed have a DVI-D input, so try the HDMI->DVI-D adapter.

Dan2002sk8er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Dan2002sk8er
Member since 2006 • 172 Posts
You need a Component to VGA adaptor since it is an analogue connection there is no need hor HDCP.DVI-D and HDMI are Digital connections and therefore need HDCP to make sure you don't steel HD content I guess??? I'm not sure why, but they just do. you can also find good prices on NewEgg check out some Acer moniters should only run about $200 for a 22 inch 1680x1050 like mine. only problem with hooking a video game to it is that the screen on computer moniters are 16x10 not 16x9. It is weird, it distorts you picture sliightly I've tried it before. the Hard Part is hooking up the Audio you need Suround Sound with Optical Audio so you can have sound.
Dan2002sk8er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Dan2002sk8er
Member since 2006 • 172 Posts
[QUOTE="svenskamerikan"]

moshakirby

HDMI is always HDCP.

HDMI in NOT always HDCP, it depends if your monitor Supports HDCP. like DVI alone doesn't suport HDCP but DVI-D does support HDCP. I know some Cheap TV sets not to name any *cough*visio*cough*olivea*cough* excuse me. they don't support HDCP on many of their models but they do have HDMI inputs.

svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
[QUOTE="svenskamerikan"]

moshakirby

HDMI is always HDCP.

Read my post again where did I talk about HDMI? He doesn't state that he is using the hdmi port etc - so I answered his post saying the ps3 doesn't require hdcp compliant monitors - the material may or may not. Since a lot of people are playing with component cables they obviously doesn't need hdcp compliance for those games....

So I suggest you read my post instead of me reading your link.....

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
[QUOTE="moshakirby"][QUOTE="svenskamerikan"]

svenskamerikan

HDMI is always HDCP.

Read my post again where did I talk about HDMI? He doesn't state that he is using the hdmi port etc - so I answered his post saying the ps3 doesn't require hdcp compliant monitors - the material may or may not. Since a lot of people are playing with component cables they obviously doesn't need hdcp compliance for those games....

So I suggest you read my post instead of me reading your link.....

I was telling Spartan to read the link.
I'm saying that anything coming out HDMI is HDCP, it's not what content is on the disk it's what connection you are using.
Lum_Yatsura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lum_Yatsura
Member since 2004 • 506 Posts
All PS3 systems worldwide require HDCP on the connected device, for any audio and/or video to output from its HDMI port. No exceptions. Even games and the XMB will get no signal whatsoever if HDCP is not present. This affects HDMI-DVI cables as well.