Has multiplayer in general lost its appeal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spicoli420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spicoli420
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

I've been multiplayer gaming for many many years, starting of course with split screen and then graduating to internet gaming on the pc.I was really into soldier of fortune, bf1942, day of defeat (original), etc. and really felt these multiplayer experiences were fresh and exciting. I've enjoyed a few multiplayer games over the years on the different consoles but have felt they are severely lacking in the creative department. I would much rather fire up a game I bought from the psn than a blockbuster game like MW2. I feel the single player experience is where it's at and until the industry re-examines the multiplayer aspect, I thinkit will be a dying breed.

I am however looking forward to Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, and the new Zelda game......all single player games:)

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
depends what your favorite genre is. personally, when i bought modern warfare 2, i only played like 2 levels of the single player, then went to play multiplayer
Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
It lost its appeal for me a LONG time ago. Actually, it never really had much appeal for me. Single-player games forever!
bm1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 bm1212
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Get Uncharted 2, amazing single player campaign and then it throws an amazing multiplayer mode at you.

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
It lost its appeal for me a LONG time ago. Actually, it never really had much appeal for me. Single-player games forever!The_Pig_Hostage
I feel the same SP>MP
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
i can't say that it lost its appeal, i enjoy both online mp and sp games equally... however i try to finish the sp mode of a game first and then jump onto the online mp... :)
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

never really cared about competitive multiplayer but I like co-op

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
It lost its appeal to me, because I'm no strong online fan. That said: Modern Warfare 2 says "lolno".
Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
not so much, i like it i just find my self board with it really fast from game to game. i guess i haven't really found that one true awesome online game. fir me i really think it would be a mmorpg. like the upcoming FF online. or like if oblivion was that way i would play the crap out of that stuff. the appeal for me seems to fade quick because i mean come on how many different ways can you make a shooter game play. no matter what shooting is shooting. it still early in the GEN so i think we should see some good stuff come soon. i a huge Rpg player thats what sells me. we have a few good ones coming. hey like Heavy Rain. GOW 3 (sorta) and yes FF 13. (so close)
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Pig_Hostage"]It lost its appeal for me a LONG time ago. Actually, it never really had much appeal for me. Single-player games forever!-Hoax-
I feel the same SP>MP

Me 3! The only nice thing about recent mp is co-op mp, which can be a lot of fun. The biggest problem with mp is playing with dozens/hundreds of people you don't know, and most likely don't care about. Now if you played with friends, and are able to talk about the awesome night you guys had playing together, then you get the most out of it. Sadly most of my friends don't play games, and those that do mostly have an xbox. Plus online gaming gets way to repetitive for my liking. I'll stick to SP games for a while longer. I'm quite happy to let MP go.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
SP > MP for me, always. MAG and BF: BC have got me back into MP though. Many people use tactics and don't run around like headless chickens in small, cramped maps. That's why MW 2 soon got old.
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
[QUOTE="-Hoax-"][QUOTE="The_Pig_Hostage"]It lost its appeal for me a LONG time ago. Actually, it never really had much appeal for me. Single-player games forever!Sphire
I feel the same SP>MP

Me 3! The only nice thing about recent mp is co-op mp, which can be a lot of fun. The biggest problem with mp is playing with dozens/hundreds of people you don't know, and most likely don't care about. Now if you played with friends, and are able to talk about the awesome night you guys had playing together, then you get the most out of it. Sadly most of my friends don't play games, and those that do mostly have an xbox. Plus online gaming gets way to repetitive for my liking. I'll stick to SP games for a while longer. I'm quite happy to let MP go.

Add me to four. :P Well, counting Floppy_Jim, that makes me 5.
ks1990steelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ks1990steelman
Member since 2009 • 1418 Posts
I used to play COD2 multiplayer on PC. Then COD4:MW on PC, too. Also, COD:WAW on PS3 was great. But after MW2, IDK, I got bored with MP. I prefer SP much more now. There are so amazing SP games on PS3... Uncharted 2, Infamous, MGS4, God of War III, Dante's Inferno... But I miss these days 5 years ago when I and my friends went to an Internet cafe and played COD2 MP till morning.
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

I was all about Muli Player,,,,,,but now I think its annoying......Single is cool with me,,,,,,

Nazi ZOmbies was the ony thing that got me into muti again,,,,,,,somthing what seems like an easy task, but challenging as hell and promotes team work.....I liked it cause it was a quick and fun pick me up and play.,,,especitally if time is tight.....

Leon_Kennedy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Leon_Kennedy1
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
I don't care about multiplayer anymore, I rarely play any multiplayer matches, but I still play co-op in Demon's Souls and multiplayer in Blazblue from time to time. SP's the best!
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
imho, balancing the sp and mp options is the best choice, nothing gets old that way... :)
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It never had any appeal in the first place to me. No story, no characters - all elements of gameplay except shooting have been removed. Huge meh from me.

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

MP is for the hardcore competitive crowd, u either are arisk taker or play safer lol, no offense

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I love MW2 online, but rarely play it. I much prefer to play single player

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

well, i still like to play resident evil 5 multiplayer.

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Pig_Hostage"]It lost its appeal for me a LONG time ago. Actually, it never really had much appeal for me. Single-player games forever!

I feel ya man. I loved the days where it was fun to play MW and Gears of War. Fast forward two years later and it lost its appeal. I prefer single player games now because I don't have much time to dedicate to online gaming. Too much Dragon Age, I would say haha.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
It hasn't lost it's appeal in a game like Bad Company 2, or the idea of racing Grand Turismo online. I just don't that now it seems almost EVERY game has to have multi-player. You would think by putting the time in for multiplayer, Developers are just taking resources away that could have gone into improving the single player game. Look at a game like Bioshock? Why bother with multiplayer? Just seems like a waste. Even Uncharted 2 I haven't ever played the multiplayer. It might be good, I just haven't bothered with it. Thankfully in those two games the single player campaign's did not suffer.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
I love a good singleplayer experience but with games like Bad Company around I will love the multiplayer aspect of games just as much.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
multiplayer, as far as this generation goes, has always been overrated, but no, I don't think it's lost its appeal... I would think the number of people playing MP is still growing...
romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

"Has multiplayer in general lost its appeal?"

Not for me, I always enjoyed a good co op game, not so much the every man for himself type of games, that's why I always liked team deathmatch and never really got into pure deathmatch modes. Also, I have found memories of playing those rare co op games on the SNES with my brother and friends.

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
It lost its appeal for me a LONG time ago. Actually, it never really had much appeal for me. Single-player games forever!The_Pig_Hostage
I couldn't agree more
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

Since the PS2 era, I've been an avid online player but lately (and I never thought I would say that), I'm indeed slowly getting bored by online play in general. Fortunately, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is just around the corner and I know I'll have a blast with it.

I wish I was more interested in single player games but my problem is that after I beat the campaign, I can't be bothered playing the exact same maps with the exact same enemies popping out at the very same places. That's why I'm a huge fan of sandbox games. I can't wait to get my hands on Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

MW2 kinda killed Multiplayer in general for me, but im thinking going back to my counter-strilke roots will help.

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

I prefer single player but still enjoy playing games with other people every now and then.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

I like Single player, wished that it was better implamented with better AI, untill then I played MP games but they just suffer from Really Bad People I have played with.

Co-op is good but again its hard to find people to play with. I need to find people to co-op with but that is still dependent on finding people who have the same schedule as myself.

4player co-op will be great, and 2 on 2 games where you compete to complete objectives and not simple FPS objectives will be even better. But many people like simple objectives that they can finish in 5-20 minutes =^(

So Im back to Hoping beyond hope that AI development will increase and I can have a really nice long involving imence, game. Not a repeat action game, or simplistic game. ,,,,, Think Heavy Rain meets the Sims, meets Sim city, meets Demon Soul, .... Really interactive game with a great branching story and GREAT A.I.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Yeah, I haven't been seriously playing online since early 2008. I am and always will be a single player gamer.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
Multiplayer has never lost its appeal for me. It manages to constantly stay unpredictable, and that keeps me entertained much longer. More and more games are leaning towards multiplayer too. Being able to play with a friend just makes the game more fun. Single player is like a movie to me: once you see it, the second experience isn't as good and you lose interest quickly.
xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

I go through phases. I do get sick of most multiplayer games after a short bit, but certain ones I really love and play for a long time. So far in recent years, the first modern warfare had me hooked, then Uncharted 2, and my most anticipated game Bad company 2. Other than Uncharted 2, I was getting really sick of MP, but after playing the demo for BC2, it reignited my love for MP. The same thing happened when MW1 came out- I was bored with MP, but then it came out and I loved it! For the last couple years, it has been a lot more SP for me though.

sh1vers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sh1vers
Member since 2007 • 230 Posts

will modnation racers have offline mp? if so = awesome , if not = fail

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm into singleplayer more, not so much as of choice but just because my internet connection is terrible. That said, I'm not a huge multiplayer fan. I like COD MW2's splitscreen multiplayer, don't care for the online though. I really don't think this game gets enough credit for having splitscreen though, probably because most people play online all the time. But my cousins and I play it together all the time.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#38 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

This. I never really got into multiplayer that much (excluding co-op, I love a good co-op game) and now it seems that there's never anything new.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#39 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

I don't mind multiplayer but a don't play a lot I've always been more for single player and I do like a multiplayer game which has CO-OP like the CO-OP on Uncharted 2 which I do like and I've got just back to playing Saints Row 2 online which I'm trying to get my King of Kingpins rank. I'll only buy a game if it offers a single player mode.

rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

I am another with the view that Single Player is more than Multiplayer. If a game's SP is lackluster and the MP is stellar, I won't buy the game.

A lot of Multiplayer's are very stressful. I hate Teamkillers and Teabaggers. I will admit that in MP, after I kill an opposing player, I like to tell 'em, "you have the right to remain silent".

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I have always disliked it by default since i could never get over the fact that i was probably missing out on stuff in the SP portion because the game had MP tacked on.

I despise the trend of " 2 hr long solo campaign but its cool cuz we put MP in the game!!11"

Shoooryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shoooryuken
Member since 2009 • 969 Posts
I like playing with others more, but single player is good too. Co-Op is awesome sauce if implemented well, and competitive 1 on 1 (Fighting Games) is just awesome.
mfarris2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mfarris2006
Member since 2005 • 335 Posts

Lol . I never play single player games. They get repetitive and boring to me. I prefer multi only.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Multiplayer never had any appeal to me in the first place.
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

MaG is great.

Anyways, you haven't truly played multiplayer until you have done some competitive gaming IMO.

Did it back in the counter-strike days and it is just as intense as doing competitive sports (which I also did).

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
I think multiplayer FPS have lost its appeal to me. I'd like to see more multiplayer games that arn't shooters, heck even co-op games that arn't shooters would be nice. Companies churn out FPS like its going out of style and that is what is starting to lose its appeal to me.
newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

yeah, what he said.

Soapweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Soapweed
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

I prefer multiplayer. Too competitive for my own good. When I want a good singleplayer game though I usually go to games that truly dedicate themselves to that experience: Uncharted 2 or inFamous.