Has anyone noticed graphical problems on RDR? (ps3 version)

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

Hey, i just want some honest opinions on the graphics of RDR. Ive heard that the ps3 version is inferior and i just want to know if there are

1. blurry textures

2. flat textures

3. things popping in the screen, and tearing in the screen

stuff like that. any input would be appreciated, thank you.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

Everything seems fine for me, after playing for over 3 hours.

Only issue I have noticed is a little bit of pop-in in distant objects, but no more than, maybe even less than GTAIV. But this is to be expected with the RAM limitations on these consoles.

Overall, the game is absolutely gorgeous and looks fantastic.

maxx1458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 maxx1458
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts

I havnt really noticed anything to crazy, a little pop in like the above guy said. \

Im not really one of those people who really actively looks for things like this though.

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GramDubs

is it blurry or smooth

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts
[QUOTE="GramDubs"]

is it blurry or smooth

Only noticed blur when spinning the camera 360 degrees. But that is intentional and was also part of GTAIV and UC/UC2.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i've been hearing talks about the PS3 version is rendered in "sub-HD".... is that true?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

i've been hearing talks about the PS3 version is rendered in "sub-HD".... is that true?

Jinroh_basic
technically. ps3 versions native resolution is 640p and the 360's is 720p... to normal people i would assume they look virtually the same.
xconbud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xconbud
Member since 2004 • 716 Posts

I have noticed what seems to be a sub-hd blur cast over the screen as if the game wasnt using all my tvs power...in comparison i play just cause 2(pc version) on the same tv and the crispness is mindblowing.feels like 1080p on my 720 bravia.Anyways i was able to set my tv to a cinema setting which warmed the brightness and enriched the color 10xfold.Now the game atleast looks playable but there is a definite stinch of non optimization.I dismissed all the topics of people complaining about rdr not being on pc but now i understand.The game itself is a masterpiece tho and with a some playing around with setting it can look near picture perfect but its not set good out of the box.

Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts

Sorry but real gamers play gameplay not graphics.8)

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jinroh_basic

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

MethodManFTW

technically. ps3 versions native resolution is 640p and the 360's is 720p... to normal people i would assume they look virtually the same.

so it's true then? i'm sorry but...... it's a pretty major gimp no matter how i see it. it's not just about the graphic quality, which as you said is probably a minute difference. it's more about respect. our system has better hardware and we pay just as much for the game..... it irks me that we have to suffer substandard product for no reason at all.

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GramDubs

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

Jinroh_basic

so it's true then? i'm sorry but...... it's a pretty major gimp no matter how i see it. it's not just about the graphic quality, which as you said is probably a minute difference. it's more about respect. our system has better hardware and we pay just as much for the game..... it irks me that we have to suffer substandard product for no reason at all.

oh well. i doubt you will notice any difference at all.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jinroh_basic

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] technically. ps3 versions native resolution is 640p and the 360's is 720p... to normal people i would assume they look virtually the same.GramDubs

no mate, it's not about that. first lemme get this outta the way - i'm not trying to dissuade people from getting/enjoying this game. it's your hobby and your money, not mine. but to me, this is very irritating. did you pay less? nope. is your system inferior? superior, in fact. so why do we have to settle for second best for no reason at all? while gameplay means alot in this hobby, there's something else that means even more to me personally. it's called respect, which i expect to receive fully when i deserve it. as it is, it's unlikely that i will get this game. :(

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GramDubs

[QUOTE="GramDubs"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

Jinroh_basic

no mate, it's not about that. first lemme get this outta the way - i'm not trying to dissuade people from getting/enjoying this game. it's your hobby and your money, not mine. but to me, this is very irritating. did you pay less? nope. is your system inferior? superior, in fact. so why do we have to settle for second best for no reason at all? while gameplay means alot in this hobby, there's something else that means even more to me personally. it's called respect, which i expect to receive fully when i deserve it. as it is, it's unlikely that i will get this game. :(

if you dont get the game your just going to cheat yourself from a great experience. and many many reviewers have said that they dont notice a difference between the 2 versions. in fact some have said that the ps3 version looks more realistic, and less hand drawn. im going to send you some videos of it.

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

Jinroh_basic

Good point, I own both a PS3 and 360.. I had no idea this was the case and I felt it while playing the beggining of the game, it doesn't look as good as GTA 4, not even close.... in terms of textures and the landscape. Actually looks like a 2007 PS3 release. Still supposed to be a great game.

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

good lord you folks need to chill out big time....(the complainers) RDR is a superb game...dont sell yourselfs short over nothing....the game has breathtaking visuals. no matter what console....good lord...

To the TC...no visual problems for me here.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Only thing I've noticed is pop-up objects and textures, but it's completely fine.

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

good lord you folks need to chill out big time....(the complainers) RDR is a superb game...dont sell yourselfs short over nothing....the game has breathtaking visuals. no matter what console....good lord...

To the TC...no visual problems for me here.

hawk549

Nah, PoP TFS looks much better imo, by a mile.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

You only really notice these things if your going to compare them in the first place. Why does it matter that theres a few blurry textures? The game looks amazing on the PS3. That is all that matters really.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I've been playing it for over 6 hours and have no complaints on how it looks, I think it looks fantastic.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I have noticed absolutely nothing worth complaining about. I went into it expecting a mess because people hyped up the differences, but so far I've encountered nothing. And the game looks fantastic when you're traversing the land in the bright afternoon sun. It's not the PS3's best obviously, but to say it looks bad in any way would be false.
Snake3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Snake3232
Member since 2005 • 735 Posts
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/read-dead-redemption-360-vs-ps3-our-thoughts.ars
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] technically. ps3 versions native resolution is 640p and the 360's is 720p... to normal people i would assume they look virtually the same.CleanNJerk

Good point, I own both a PS3 and 360.. I had no idea this was the case and I felt it while playing the beggining of the game, it doesn't look as good as GTA 4, not even close.... in terms of textures and the landscape. Actually looks like a 2007 PS3 release. Still supposed to be a great game.

GTA IV looks horrid, probably the worst looking game in my library. Even the God of War collection looks better because of it's higher resolution.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Thank god I got it on the machine that displays it 720p. Anyways, if people are avoiding this game because it runs @ 640P it's really your loss.
SILVER_X_AMMO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SILVER_X_AMMO
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

nope dont worry game runs fine

Falconthefirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Falconthefirst
Member since 2010 • 80 Posts

You're not the only one who thinks this way. I'm sick of developers making Xbox 360 versions of games superior. Almost every multiplat out there is in some way superior on the 360. If it's developed on the 360 and then ported to PS3 it's somewhat understandable, since most developers are lazy asses. But if a game is built from scratch on both consoles like RDR there is absolutely no excuse to gimp the PS3 version. It's ridiculous.

Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts
so then 360 has better graphics than ps3? like on a whole. Oh well, i only have ps3 so i'll get it for that. i know some people who have modded 360's and will get their copy either for free or about 5 bucks
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
Here's my question to the people who noticed graphical problems: Are the graphical problems as bad as the Assassin's Creed II PS3 graphical problems? I found ACII's problems to be VERY annoying - especially the foreground pop-in. You'd have to get so close to an area before the textures popped in! So there was constant movement and changes to textures right up close, which was extremely distracting to me. Still, it was playable. So I want to know is it like that, worse, or better?
Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

For what I've read, I'm not probably picking this game, at least until it gets reeeeeaaaally cheap :P

I'm still catching up with some PS3 exclusives and by the looks of it, I'm not planning to pick up too many multiplats since devs aren't exploiting the most pwerfull console of this gen.

BTW, this rumor I've read that most multi plats only use the main PS3 core, is this also one of those cases?

Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bow-T_88
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]Here's my question to the people who noticed graphical problems: Are the graphical problems as bad as the Assassin's Creed II PS3 graphical problems? I found ACII's problems to be VERY annoying - especially the foreground pop-in. You'd have to get so close to an area before the textures popped in! So there was constant movement and changes to textures right up close, which was extremely distracting to me. Still, it was playable. So I want to know is it like that, worse, or better?

that was annoying for real, the grass would pop in and out , at no point did it remain when u move. god send me a 360 so i can start buying games for it lol, i think the trigger buttons feel better on 360 too.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
[QUOTE="Bow-T_88"] that was annoying for real, the grass would pop in and out , at no point did it remain when u move. god send me a 360 so i can start buying games for it lol, i think the trigger buttons feel better on 360 too.

You should get this :)
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bow-T_88
do you have it? I definitely will get it
GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GramDubs

so then 360 has better graphics than ps3? like on a whole. Oh well, i only have ps3 so i'll get it for that. i know some people who have modded 360's and will get their copy either for free or about 5 bucksBow-T_88

no the ps3 has better graphics then 360, just games like this are easier to develop on DVD's instead of blu rays, therefore they are made on the 360 and then ported onto a blu ray, this isnt true with all multiplats, like FF13, and RE5 to name a few. i have seen footage of both versions and dont see much difference, oh well

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

It looks great I haven't noticed anything wrong so far.

Meowmixxvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34 Meowmixxvi
Member since 2008 • 2243 Posts
yes i notice quite a couple issues. like my characters and npc turning invisible online...
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

So it's true then? i'm sorry but...... it's a pretty major gimp no matter how i see it. it's not just about the graphic quality, which as you said is probably a minute difference. it's more about respect. our system has better hardware and we pay just as much for the game..... it irks me that we have to suffer substandard product for no reason at all.

Jinroh_basic

It's pretty damned ridiculous - 5 years and 100 million dollars and they can't make the game in high-def. Yet other developers do it all the time with far less money and time.

I'm quite happy to wait until it goes on sale. Probably a pretty big sale.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#36 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

No, its fine

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

Played for 5 hours, game looks dandy to me

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Well this is on the 360 version. My horse turned from "tan" color to "dark brown."
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#39 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="Bow-T_88"]so then 360 has better graphics than ps3? like on a whole. Oh well, i only have ps3 so i'll get it for that. i know some people who have modded 360's and will get their copy either for free or about 5 bucksGramDubs

no the ps3 has better graphics then 360, just games like this are easier to develop on DVD's instead of blu rays, therefore they are made on the 360 and then ported onto a blu ray, this isnt true with all multiplats, like FF13, and RE5 to name a few. i have seen footage of both versions and dont see much difference, oh well

The media the game comes on has nothing to do with how a game is developed.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

Ive noticed all kinds of artifacts and a crazy amount of aliasing. All that is forgiveable though, its the framerate that has a hard time staying above 20 fps that really bugs me. What is the excuse for this on a closed platform, do they not test these games at rockstar?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]Here's my question to the people who noticed graphical problems: Are the graphical problems as bad as the Assassin's Creed II PS3 graphical problems? I found ACII's problems to be VERY annoying - especially the foreground pop-in. You'd have to get so close to an area before the textures popped in! So there was constant movement and changes to textures right up close, which was extremely distracting to me. Still, it was playable. So I want to know is it like that, worse, or better?

its not quite as bad, I thought AC2 was completely unplayable on ps3.
Avatar image for X-Jlagerwaard-X
X-Jlagerwaard-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 X-Jlagerwaard-X
Member since 2009 • 253 Posts

So is the framerate good or not good? that's my only question.:D

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts
[QUOTE="GramDubs"]

[QUOTE="Bow-T_88"]so then 360 has better graphics than ps3? like on a whole. Oh well, i only have ps3 so i'll get it for that. i know some people who have modded 360's and will get their copy either for free or about 5 bucks-Unreal-

The media the game comes on has nothing to do with how a game is developed.

I believe the PS3 is harder to make games for because it has more cores or something like that. This is why some PS3 exclusives look so darn good when multi platform games look worse.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TerrorRizzing

X-Jlagerwaard-X
its not good, it doesnt stutter but it gets pretty low.
mythochondria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mythochondria
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts

Rockstar surely makes great games, but they completely fail when working on ps3 games, they develop for 360 and that's a fact, they have always done it. I don't own gta IV and will wait to purchase read dead. I was thrilled about this game but someway i agree with the OP. It's a matter of respect. Playstation 3 has a lot of power and capacity, more than the 360, and games like uncharted 2, god of war 3, metal gear solid 4, final fantasy 13, infamous and killzone 2 shows it pretty clear, no 360 games can achieve a graphic like that.

Sad but true, rockstar games will always look better on the 360, it's not a matter of power, rockstar's developers just focus more on the 360 version. period.

But for istance, final fantasy 13 looked worse on 360 (almost in the same way as red dead does on ps3) but 360 owners still bought the game, and I think this makes sense, it won't be a slightly more blurred texture to ruin my gaming experience, sure, I will still stick to ps3 exclusives first, before buying read dead.

sad sad story dude.

Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bow-T_88
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"]Here's my question to the people who noticed graphical problems: Are the graphical problems as bad as the Assassin's Creed II PS3 graphical problems? I found ACII's problems to be VERY annoying - especially the foreground pop-in. You'd have to get so close to an area before the textures popped in! So there was constant movement and changes to textures right up close, which was extremely distracting to me. Still, it was playable. So I want to know is it like that, worse, or better?

which has more framerate problems, AC2 or Red Dead? Its 13 days until i get my copy of RDR and im starting to think i wont be able to enjoy it. Did any one of you experience framarate problems THAT WERE HIDEOUS in gta iv when you are exploding the vehicles? Man its not right to feel like u wanna take a crap or u made a huge mistake, whenever you get a game for ps3 instead of 360 , i thought ps3 was way better
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="Bow-T_88"][QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"]Here's my question to the people who noticed graphical problems: Are the graphical problems as bad as the Assassin's Creed II PS3 graphical problems? I found ACII's problems to be VERY annoying - especially the foreground pop-in. You'd have to get so close to an area before the textures popped in! So there was constant movement and changes to textures right up close, which was extremely distracting to me. Still, it was playable. So I want to know is it like that, worse, or better?

which has more framerate problems, AC2 or Red Dead? Its 13 days until i get my copy of RDR and im starting to think i wont be able to enjoy it. Did any one of you experience framarate problems THAT WERE HIDEOUS in gta iv when you are exploding the vehicles? Man its not right to feel like u wanna take a crap or u made a huge mistake, whenever you get a game for ps3 instead of 360 , i thought ps3 was way better

well on one hand i think the average fps is lower in rdr, on the other ac2 has more drops, screen tearing and pop in.
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bow-T_88
lol damn man, ok then thanks for the info
3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

[QUOTE="X-Jlagerwaard-X"]

TerrorRizzing

its not good, it doesnt stutter but it gets pretty low.

I have had no issues with the framerate. I do see some popping textures and I can where some of the game is a bit blurry and not as sharp but overall the game has no issues graphically that make playing it on the PS3 any less of an experience.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

My goodness there are a lot of whiners on this thread. I can say RDR looks excellent on my TV (even when set to 1080p), it runs smooth (definitely more than "20 fps") and I see only minor graphical pop-in. You will see the pop-in on the 360 version to, you guys realize this right?

Yesterday my sister stopped by while I was riding the horse around and the first thing she said was "Damn, I thought you were watching a movie!".

+1 for blowing everything out of proportion.