Hard disk's file system corrupted? please help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigBoss712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BigBoss712
Member since 2005 • 13742 Posts

I turned on my PS3 this morning and I got an error message "the hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored"

If I restore I will lose all of my data right? did anyone else had this problem?

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

I think I had something like that a while back and it may have lost the data but it hasn't had a single problem after it did the restore, this could be from a game that had corrupted data on the disc or a glitch in a game.

A good rule is from time to time is back your data up on a flash drive.

BigBoss712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BigBoss712

Yes looks that way,I just restored it but it didn't delete anything so it all good. :)

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#4 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

Yes looks that way,I just restored it but it didn't delete anything so it all good. :)

BigBoss712

if you have the 60gb or 80gb i would recoment buying a small cheap sd card (512mb is fine) andevery now and thenbackup your gamesaves. i do i, i havnt needed to use them yet but if i ever have trouble they will allways be there

BigBoss712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBoss712
I have one, I guess I will start doing it, thanks.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 zeforgotten
Member since 2006 • 3918 Posts
People on other forums says that the main reason for this is when people shut of the PS3 while it's saving data to the HDD. but i'm not sure. only know that if you do in fact shut down something that's in the process of saving data. you have to have a lower IQ than a glass of milk. lol
big_boss4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 big_boss4life
Member since 2006 • 2633 Posts
u copy my nick name :( hehe yeah i had the same problem, it will delate all your date but after that everything should go back to normal
EXKgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EXKgam3r
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
What should I do if my PS3 has this same problem, but it won't restore. It acts like it's restoring, but it just ends up going back to the same error message
thehovisfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thehovisfamily
Please help: My son's PS3 has this message displaying "The Hard Disk's System is Corprupted and will be Restored" and when you press enter it says........."Restoring"................restarts...........then the message will display again afterit restarts. What do I need to do? He is disabled and doesn't understand why or what has happened to his system and epects mom to fix it.....please help. All advice is much appreciated and can be emailed to us at thehovisfamily@bellsouth.net. Thanks, :)
guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts
What should I do if my PS3 has this same problem, but it won't restore. It acts like it's restoring, but it just ends up going back to the same error messageEXKgam3r
Your HDD is dead. Either send the machine in to get the drive replaced or buy a new one and replace it yourself.
guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts
Please help: My son's PS3 has this message displaying "The Hard Disk's System is Corprupted and will be Restored" and when you press enter it says........."Restoring"................restarts...........then the message will display again afterit restarts. What do I need to do? He is disabled and doesn't understand why or what has happened to his system and epects mom to fix it.....please help. All advice is much appreciated and can be emailed to us at thehovisfamily@bellsouth.net. Thanks, :)thehovisfamily
Same answer as above.
philhilluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 philhilluk
Member since 2004 • 1007 Posts

[QUOTE="thehovisfamily"]Please help: My son's PS3 has this message displaying "The Hard Disk's System is Corprupted and will be Restored" and when you press enter it says........."Restoring"................restarts...........then the message will display again afterit restarts. What do I need to do? He is disabled and doesn't understand why or what has happened to his system and epects mom to fix it.....please help. All advice is much appreciated and can be emailed to us at thehovisfamily@bellsouth.net. Thanks, :)guyhunter
Same answer as above.

Its a good oppotunity to get a bigger harddrive for you PS3. There are lots of good instructions on how to swap the drives and the right drive to buy for your PS3 on the net if you google it :)

Otherwise return PS3 to Sony or the place you bought it for repair for free.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

People on other forums says that the main reason for this is when people shut of the PS3 while it's saving data to the HDD. but i'm not sure. only know that if you do in fact shut down something that's in the process of saving data. you have to have a lower IQ than a glass of milk. lolzeforgotten

I agree with Ze except the milk part, I love milk :)

There have been few indications for corrupted data when some folks would shut down their PS3 while the data is saving game progress. There is a reason why most games will warn you: "Don't shut down the console during the save".

It's a great idea to back up your save games/pictures/movies etc.. I have a Kingston 4GB USB memory stick that cost me 40$.

It's a size of my door key and honestly very handy. It might not be a good back up tool for tons of movies, but I'm more concerned with dozens of hours of game progress not to be lost. ^_^

frottobean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frottobean
well i installed linux and i ran it but accidentaly shut it off during the reboot and now it comes on but there is no sound or picture . what can u tell me about that?
big_boss4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 big_boss4life
Member since 2006 • 2633 Posts

well i installed linux and i ran it but accidentaly shut it off during the reboot and now it comes on but there is no sound or picture . what can u tell me about that? frottobean

u screwed it man ;( i dont know check out this www.yellowdog-board.com look for the ps3 session

keeko28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 keeko28
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

PERFICT SOLUTION FOR "The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored" Hi every one, I'm new here and this is my first post :). I experienced this problem before, it's very easy to solve and you don't need to send your PS3 console back to be fixed, you can fix it in your own and in just few minutes.

This problem always happen when you switch off your console while it is saving data or reading data from the HDD, so your HDD file system damaged, in order to solve this problem you need an external SATA 2.5 hard disk case, extract your PS3 hard drive and insert it in the SATA 2.5 case, plug your hard dist to a computer, you will find that the whale hard disk is unallocated, so format it with FAT32 or NTFS using your computer, after that return your hard disk to your PS3 console, now, your PS3 console will recognize it, and it will ask you to format it, say YES!!... congratulation your PS3 console is working now :D

BUT REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA IN THE HARD DISK INCLUDING YOUR SAVES, IMAGES, MOVIES AND ALL YOUR STUFF

_33_15_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _33_15_34
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi,my sons playstation 3 is doing the same thing its saying that the files are corrupted,so i went and bought a SATA 2.5 EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE DISK CASE but when he connects it to the usb nothing is happening and when he try's to look in files for it he cannot find it can you please tell me what to do as he's pulling his hair out not being able to play his new computer?

cheers,Kirsty x

Avatar image for UnderoathMan007
UnderoathMan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UnderoathMan007
I have this but if i restart will i lose all my online game achievements like on COD4
Thomas105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thomas105
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts
how do i fix the file cause i don't wanna start alover that would be really really really gay can anyone help em out how do i file the curropted data???
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
If a HDD is corrupted that bad the only and best thing is do a full format although you will lose anything saved on the drive. There really isn't much that can be done to save the files unless you find someone that disect the data on the drive and willing to pay dearly for this service.
itchyflop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#21 itchyflop
Member since 2008 • 3687 Posts

Hi all, i have an increasingly frustrating problem, while playing The Bourne Conspiracy (PS3), i saved the game to the hard disk after hours of getting achievements and play time, only to return the next day to find the files wont load. The saved files are visible at the home page registering my progression and i can open them there and i have only one user profile, but when the game screen loads and i proceed to continue my campaign i get put back to the beginning of the game. It will let me play chapters (levels) of the game to where i progressed to, but wont let me continue from my last save. Man that's annoying!! Please if someone can help i would be very grateful as i may have to start all over, very disappointing.

Thank you

LittleYoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 LittleYoshi
Member since 2004 • 1490 Posts

I turned on my PS3 this morning and I got an error message "the hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored"

If I restore I will lose all of my data right? did anyone else had this problem?

BigBoss712

There two messages one that everything in your HDD has been lost and another one (the one you got) Yea all you have to do is restore it....

KoolGam3rKiiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 KoolGam3rKiiD
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts
I turned on my ps3 and it says "cannot start. the correct hard disk was not found." Is there any way to fix that problem???
arnika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 arnika
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I had that problem with the "corrupted file system" as well. Thankfully, the PS3 restored it and I didn't lose anything. I wrote my experience in this post in my blog: http://the-finest-hour.blogspot.com/2009/06/headaches-with-playstation-3.html

Hope it helps someone!

Cheers.

shhbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shhbob
Member since 2008 • 1035 Posts

yes i had this problem after i upgraded my 60GB to 250GB...

however i got another problem where it didnt restore it just got to 100%, system restarted and then kept getting the same message over and over again...

so what i had todo was to pull the HDD out quickly when it was still at 0% then after about 2 hours i get a message to reformat, stick the HDD back in and a way i go lol...

OMG that was so much trouble !?!?!? :evil:

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
Wow...such an old thread...even has Zeforgotten...:cry:
Rmeister007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rmeister007
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
My PS3 also said The hard disc's file system is corrupted and will be restored, and I flipped out because after I restored it, I had a frozen screen. I was about to send it back to Sony for them to replace it, but then I went on youtube and discovered how to remove my HDD. I discovered a quick solution that doesn't require having to buy anything. Remove the HDD from the PS3, and then blow on it where it connects (like the old school NES games). Reconnect it, and voila! It will at least buy you time to back everything up if you haven't already done so. For me, the problem happened when God of War glitched out on me. Lame!!!
metallicra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 metallicra
I have same problem but I can't restored it!! How can I repair it!! PLEASE HELP!!!
almasi65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 almasi65
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I faced this problem. You need to push power button for 10 seconds! and after it turns off u need to put your dear finger about 7 seconds on it again, you shoud hear 2 continous beep sounds and it will go to a menu! chosee last option " restore" and it is ok now! you only dont have any saved data! sorry

megajet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 megajet

I also had this problem. What I did was start up sys. in safe mode and instead of reformat of restore hdd just select to fix file system. I had to do it twice but it worked and I did not lose any saved data.

gothikboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gothikboi
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Ok I changed the hdd a couple of months ago, it was working fine, I never turned it off while was saving data or anything, but today when I wanted to play, it gave the black screen and I can't play anymore, do you guys think if I restore the data or reformat the hdd it will be ok? So i can back up everything on my ipod and reformat the ps3 and then restore all my data from the ipod to the ps3... You guys think this will work?
Rootbeer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rootbeer95
Member since 2010 • 490 Posts
I had this problem two years ago and yes, I think you lose all your data. If you choose 'no' you cannot access your PS3, I don't think. Sorry bud, unless you saved all your data onto a memory stick then I think it's gonna have to go.
hussey123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hussey123
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Although I do agree with your post, I have my own reservations.
seands9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 seands9
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I had that stupid loop and found the answer on the Sony technical support forum: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=441 . I simply reformatted my harddrive and it restarted just fine. The article tells you how to start your PS3 up in Safe mode, and definitely saves a trip to the store, buying a new harddrive, or shipping off your system.
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts
I had that stupid loop and found the answer on the Sony technical support forum: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=441 . I simply reformatted my harddrive and it restarted just fine. The article tells you how to start your PS3 up in Safe mode, and definitely saves a trip to the store, buying a new harddrive, or shipping off your system.seands9
Why did you bump this thread?
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#36 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
[QUOTE="seands9"]I had that stupid loop and found the answer on the Sony technical support forum: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=441 . I simply reformatted my harddrive and it restarted just fine. The article tells you how to start your PS3 up in Safe mode, and definitely saves a trip to the store, buying a new harddrive, or shipping off your system.Cheesehead9099
Why did you bump this thread?

It appears on the front page of a simple google search...
dannymeegan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dannymeegan
Member since 2008 • 431 Posts
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Hard-Drive-Error-Game-Saves-Disappeared/td-p/11770072 Can anyone help me fix this^^^
starky1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 starky1221
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i just got mi ps3 corrupted n it said restore n i did that 100 time litteraly over and over n it jus keeps show the error message wat do i do plz help
maries84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 maries84
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
hi I have a ps3 and every time I play a game it turns off my ps3 but when im on Netflix it does not turn off.. What could be the problem its telling me to restore my file system where do I find that??