Guitar Hero: World Tour vs. Rockband 2...its for real, now

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

Alright, it seems like this is gonna be a heated battle between the two this time around. With the just released news of a drum add-on for RBII, it seems as though ROCKBAND has the upper hand (with all the DLC being backward-compatible, also).

Post ur thoughts on what you'll be getting and why. thanks!

Bergstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bergstrum
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts
I'm leaning toward GH World Tour at this point. The Rock Band Fender Strat controller is just terrible. You can't hit streaks of fast notes in a row, and if you can't do that on 2 out of the four instruments (bass and guitar), then that pretty much ruins the game, at least for me. The preview of RB2 stated something like "less squishy strum bar" on the guitar. Less squishy? Just make it click like you should have done in the first place. I will wait for the reviews, and see if the new guitar is different enough or not. If it plays the same way (lame strum bar, weak wammy bar, tilt not working consistently) as the first guitar, then it doesn't matter to me how awesome the new drums will be. If they don't significantly improve the guitar controller playability, then their decision making process makes me wary of the whole game itself. Let's see what the previews at E3 reveal.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts
Even though I like RB better than GH3, I'm gonna have to side with the GHWT camp this time around. I think RB2's peripheral add-ons for the drums is just a lousy attempt to keep up with GHWT. And given RB's history of flimsy peripherals, I'm sure that there will be even more complaints this time around. GHWT drum set is way better than RB2's (IMO). But hey, you never know, I might end up liking RB2's better. I do have to say that I like RB's art direction more than GH's. I'm not a huge fan of the cartoony look the GH series is usually accompanied with. I'll be getting both in the long run anyways. Definitely RB2 because of how much money I've spent on DLC thus far.
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts
Definitely RB2, I'm a drummer so the hi-hat add-on alone wins this battle for RB hands down. The massive backlog of compatible DLC, that just keeps coming, is a huge plus as well.
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

GHWT all the way. I didn't like GH1, GH2, or RB but I loved GH3.

P.S. GHWT DLC will be BC to (any GH3 d/l'ed songs will carry over to GHWT).

thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts

theycallmeryan

where'd you hear this?

ask for the topic. i'm really indifferent. i liked gh3(even though it was crazy hard) and rock band. i think both will be good... but i'll probably end up buying neither like i did last year

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

I am probably one of the minority who have gotten tired of these games. I enjoyed them, but they consumed my life too much and are expensive lol

More worthwhile to learn and play the real stuff. But I think I would choose Rockband 2 anyways... I really enjoyed the DLC they released for numero 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
[QUOTE="theycallmeryan"]

thanos723

where'd you hear this?

ask for the topic. i'm really indifferent. i liked gh3(even though it was crazy hard) and rock band. i think both will be good... but i'll probably end up buying neither like i did last year

You have no idea how much digging I had to do to dig this up :P:

Here you go.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

theycallmeryan

They've actually already confirmed that GH3 DLC will NOT carry over to GHWT. Weird preferences though... I loved GH1 and GH2, as well as Rock Band, but hated GH3.

Obviously, I'm going for Rock Band. Particularly because I have quite a bit of DLC for that game and already own all the peripherals I need so I'll save $100 or so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
[QUOTE="theycallmeryan"]

Generic_Dude

They've actually already confirmed that GH3 DLC will NOT carry over to GHWT. Weird preferences though... I loved GH1 and GH2, as well as Rock Band, but hated GH3.

Obviously, I'm going for Rock Band. Particularly because I have quite a bit of DLC for that game and already own all the peripherals I need so I'll save $100 or so.

No I think you're think GHIII - GH: A. I have a link in my previous post that says that GHIII tracks in fact WILL be in GHWT.

FFF4N4T1C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 FFF4N4T1C
Member since 2005 • 925 Posts
Um...I'm getting Rock Band 2 because the instruments are backwards compatible and there is no way I'm paying for another game like this. I already threw out money for Guitar Hero III and Rock Band.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
I'm going to have to go with Guitar Hero: World Tour. I've always been a fan of GH, and I love what they are doing with this game.
maoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 maoman
Member since 2004 • 268 Posts
GUITAR HERO. rockband is to easy, it took me a lot of time to finish gh3 in expert, but in rockband playing in expert is like playing hard level in GH3.
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChiSoxBombers

GUITAR HERO. rockband is to easy, it took me a lot of time to finish gh3 in expert, but in rockband playing in expert is like playing hard level in GH3.maoman

True i like Guitar Hero's more challenging approach to the game, rather than making it just a pick-it-up party game.

Avatar image for CaptainSuperman
CaptainSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaptainSuperman
Member since 2008 • 480 Posts
**** RB and thier crappy hardware, and their easy songs. I'd rather get Guitar Hero, knowing that I'm gonna get harder songs, a better overall guitar, and the ability to create my own pieces (Or even someone elses [ERUPTION]).
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I'm going to have to go with Guitar Hero: World Tour. I've always been a fan of GH, and I love what they are doing with this game.Dragonblade01

I was always a fan of GH too. Which is why I went with RB instead of GH3 and will go with RB2 instead of GHWT. It's the people behind the game that make it great, not the name. Harmonix made GH1 and 2 awesome, and they made RB awesome. If you want to be loyal, being loyal to the devs makes a lot more sense than being loyal to a franchise name. If Konami sold the rights to MGS to (insert random developer here) and they made MGS5 which was nothing at all like previous MGS games, meanwhile Kojima struck out on his own and made a new IP Tactical Espionage Game, which would be better? Sorry, it's just been a pet peeve of mine ever since GH3 came out when people say 'I'm sticking with GH because the first ones were great.'

Ok, with that said, here's a few more points regarding the arguements I've seen.

As for the DLC compatibility. When Rock Band offers it, they're saying you have access to a couple hundred songs the day RB2 comes out. When GH says it, you have access to like 30. I could care less if GH DLC is cross-compatible, because they don't ever put any out. As opposed to RB, where there are at LEAST 3 new songs to try every week.

And finally, as far as RB adding cymbals being an attempt to copy GH... Seriously? What do you think GH adding drums and a mic was? Oh, that's right GHWT is the FIRST time you've had drums, vocals and guitar in the same game, like that guy from Activision said. I must've been confused.

tomkat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tomkat2
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
ghwt all the way rock band sucks
Ambrosia666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ambrosia666
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts
Gotta be GH:WT being in the UK and owning a ps3 can u actually believe rock band one isnt out here for ps3 yet:O:O i think GH will b more dependable an hopefully more difficult than what rock band looks
420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 420Token420
Member since 2007 • 5173 Posts
Neither ..
Avatar image for SamcottsPSWii60
SamcottsPSWii60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SamcottsPSWii60
Member since 2008 • 428 Posts

I've never played Rockband, but owned and loved Guitar Hero 2 and 3. So I guess I'll probably get Guitar Hero: World Tour.

I don't like how Rock Band kept us waiting ages just to get it over here for the 360, the PS3 Rock Band hasn't even been released yet over here in England:shock:

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts
Either RB2 or neither it depends really on the song list for each i guess. But i don't feel like shelling out more money for the add-ons in GHWT
jamie365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jamie365
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
guitar hero:world tour. the drums look amazing, the guitar will be great and the create your own song mode will be great i cant wait to make my own songs with my brother and mates :)
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
i'm thinking of getting Guitar Hero: World Tour
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiSoxBombers
wait has RB 2 even been confirmed for the ps3 yet?
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

GHWT DLC will be BC to (any GH3 d/l'ed songs will carry over to GHWT).

theycallmeryan

AH...so my wealth of GHIII songs will transfer:roll:

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I already have the Rock Band bundle and Guitar Hero III bundle, so I'm just going to buy the stand alone games for Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour.

I'm not into drums much at all, and I never use the mic, so the games will suffice.

At most I'll buy guitar bundles just to have the fresh new guitars. Any more then that I highly doubt.

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiSoxBombers
[QUOTE="theycallmeryan"]

GHWT DLC will be BC to (any GH3 d/l'ed songs will carry over to GHWT).

sam_nintendo

AH...so my wealth of GHIII songs will transfer:roll:

Yeah im hoping GHWT doesnt pull that GHIII s*** in terms of DLC...how bout some weekly updates on songs and shtuff like that

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
RB2. I wont need to buy new intruments, I can use all my previous DLC songs, and the first one had imo a better track list than GH and from what Ive seen of the second one (already Motorhead and Megadeath) Im expecting an even greater song list. I dont care about the challenge, since I only play with friends, and all we want to do is have a good time. And RB did that, unlicke GH which turned boring in the past really fast.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts
Rockband 2 for sure! All I need to do is buy the disc this time. I was gonna buy Guitar Hero III back in the day but compatibility issues snuffed that idea. I was even gonna buy GHWT since it seemed like they were doing things right but then RB2 ultimately won me over due to old DLC being compatible. Seriously, around 300 songs compared to around 100.
Foffity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Foffity
Member since 2004 • 622 Posts

Rock Band 2 definitely. Activision have ruined the GH franchise, IMO. And their continual abuse of their customers is disgusting. Admittedly, EA screwed over us here in Europe (in particular my native England with regards to the PS3 version), but I just imported from NA, and paid £40 less than what I would if I'd waited for the PAL release. Also, I have GHIII and the DLC support is abysmal, whereas, as has been mentioned, Rock Band gets DLC EVERY WEEK without fail.

Oh, and Rock Band 2 has Dream Theater.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
GHWT for me.
Gamezster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gamezster
Member since 2008 • 346 Posts

I can tell the arguements are gonna get more heated than this. I have never played Rock Band. Ever. But I've played GH2, loved it, played GH3, and loved it! World Tour looks incredible! Awesome drums, new guitars, and a mic. It's a dream come true.

And rockstar creation! That has always been my dream! I can just rock out as myself on GH this time!

Song creation seems cool, as well as DLC, but I doubt I'll get involved. Seems far to complex for me. But anyways, I'll gladly accept it for later times.

GH World Tour for sure.

TheSonOfUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheSonOfUgly
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts

Guitar Hero World Tour

Oh snaps its tied at 48% to 48$

Avatar image for T3h_M3tal_Biggz
T3h_M3tal_Biggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 T3h_M3tal_Biggz
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
I'm going to read the reviews for the game & instraments and i will pick & choose. I'm not a fan of rock(wishing they'd come out with DJ Hero already.) so i'll choose one with the good mainstream songs and the hardcore ones like MotorHead
lamplan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lamplan
Member since 2006 • 1135 Posts

i'll have a million Rb songs by then... rb.

I hope they both are great games.

tohuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tohuman
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts

i'll be buying guitar hero world tour with instruments

rock band2 just the game

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
I'll be buying the guitar bundles for both GH:WT and RB2
THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts
Im sticking with rock band. I just cant afford a new set of instruments, and I dont have any more room in my basement for instrument crap.....but i really hope they do something about the guitar....it really sucks......doesnt matter to me too much though, I mostly drum and sing (at the same time)
punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts
both