This topic is locked from further discussion.

JOE_PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 JOE_PS3
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts

Its happened.The so called myth labelled 'The yellow light of death' has happened to me. I rang sony and they said tough luck after i spent £5 on the phone to them. Apparently it happens to 1% of Playstation 3 owners and 0.2% of them are 40gb models. I am that 0.2%. I can no longer own noobs on call of duty 5 or resistance 2. I can no longer watch bluray and surf the internet. I can no longer play LBP. The thing that gets me though is song believe that there PS3 are going to last longer than the PS2. My PS2 is still working fine and has been ages. But a year after i get my PS3 is breaks.. Pfft, thanks sony :( Well.. goodbye ps3!

Dimb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Dimb
Member since 2005 • 1178 Posts
Well if you not going to get it repaired try to sell it or trade it in for store credit somewhere. Put it towards the purchase of a new one.
JOE_PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JOE_PS3

Well if you not going to get it repaired try to sell it or trade it in for store credit somewhere. Put it towards the purchase of a new one.Dimb

You mean try to sell it to someone who will happily buy a broken PS3 and then spend £180 to get it fixed ..

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

then get a new one! :)

although with the price, its easier said than done...

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Wait, they won't replace or repair it for free? I live in the UK and my PS3's disc drive recently failed just after owning it for 1 year. But Sony replaced it for free.
JOE_PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JOE_PS3

Wait, they won't replace or repair it for free? I live in the UK and my PS3's disc drive recently failed just after owning it for 1 year. But Sony replaced it for free.Floppy_Jim

I still have warrenty, but no proof on when i bought it. Sometimes you can get away with it by not saying anything about the receipt if they dont talk about it. But the man did talk about it.. so :(

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
:( man so sad for you. But what to do... i say u sell it and buy another one or repair it.
JOE_PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JOE_PS3

Quote from SONYS website:-

If you have attempted all troubleshootingand are still unable to resolve your query, you may have a non functional system. To reach us, pleasecall the PlayStation Careline on 08705 99 88 77 (National Rate) and a member of our team will be happy to help you.

Does anyone know what the nation rate cost is?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Where does this light appear on the PS3?
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
Where does this light appear on the PS3?SoNin360
It comes on where the red (standby) light is when you're not using the system. There's another yellow/amber light on the bottom that flashes when the HDD is being accessed.
psn_Jaimzl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 psn_Jaimzl
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts
this would be more suitable for a blog and if i was a mod id lock this.
HardcoreBunni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 HardcoreBunni
Member since 2008 • 643 Posts
this would be more suitable for a blog and if i was a mod id lock this.psn_Jaimzl
C'mon don't be such a pr!ck to the guy, he just lost his PS3. My simpathies, TC. Are you going to fix it or buy a new one?
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
just get it repaired.
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Its happened.The so called myth labelled 'The yellow light of death' has happened to me. I rang sony and they said tough luck after i spent £5 on the phone to them. Apparently it happens to 1% of Playstation 3 owners and 0.2% of them are 40gb models. I am that 0.2%. I can no longer own noobs on call of duty 5 or resistance 2. I can no longer watch bluray and surf the internet. I can no longer play LBP. The thing that gets me though is song believe that there PS3 are going to last longer than the PS2. My PS2 is still working fine and has been ages. But a year after i get my PS3 is breaks.. Pfft, thanks sony :( Well.. goodbye ps3!

JOE_PS3

Sorry to here that dude "but" it's a well known fact that the 40g models have the highest failer-rate out of all the PS3 models. My 60g is still working fine...I'm a U.S launch day owner.Why don't you get one of the new model PS3, I haven't heard to many horror stories about them.??

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

just get it repaired.Sk8ter_213

.....or you could do what SK8ter said!!! lol

acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
I just bought a PS3 but I'm a LONGTIME PC only gamer. This is another reason that the PC is a nice option. You can replace bad hardware on your own. The EVGA graphics cards all have lifetime warranties too.
Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts
wow... that's extremely unlucky. Try to find your receipt.
fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

I got a 20gig PS3 at launch and it's been working fine since. What is the yellow indicating failed? My first time hearing about it, mainly a PC Gamer.

seannn199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 seannn199
Member since 2008 • 1137 Posts
[QUOTE="JOE_PS3"]

MERC_RECONN

Sorry to here that dude "but" it's a well known fact that the 40g models have the highest failer-rate out of all the PS3 models. My 60g is still working fine...I'm a U.S launch day owner.Why don't you get one of the new model PS3, I haven't heard to many horror stories about them.??

actually its the 60gb that fail most often..
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
Lucky me, I just got the 60 Gig...
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
Stop whining. Pay for it to get fixed or buy another.
Doubl_j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Doubl_j
Member since 2004 • 171 Posts
your ps3 broke after a year, its a bad thing, sure... but if you would have bought an xbox this would have been your third broken one ;)
AxelStone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AxelStone74
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
wellyou know what i have to say? just get it fixed and go on with your life. Doyou have any idea how many people i know that have bought x box360's over and over again because their system failed? sony isnt half as bad as microsoft is my friend, and with th egames that are coming out next year your going to wish you had the system. but hey its your choice, oh and the other guy there had a good point, i myself havehad the 60 gig model now for over 2 years, never had a prob with it, try looking into that instead. if you feel like dropping the cash, though fixing your system would still be cheaper.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Wait, they won't replace or repair it for free? I live in the UK and my PS3's disc drive recently failed just after owning it for 1 year. But Sony replaced it for free.JOE_PS3

I still have warrenty, but no proof on when i bought it. Sometimes you can get away with it by not saying anything about the receipt if they dont talk about it. But the man did talk about it.. so :(

if you bought the system with a credit card the store will still have the receipt in it's database
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#26 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
That sucks.
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]Wait, they won't replace or repair it for free? I live in the UK and my PS3's disc drive recently failed just after owning it for 1 year. But Sony replaced it for free.JOE_PS3

My PS3 disc drive broke back in the summer of 07 and I called for a repair but had no receipt. I went to my local gamecrazy where I bought it and the manager gave me a written note signed by him that said I purchased it (it was in my account records, and the manager there is pretty cool). Sony didn't fuss about it because I got it replaced no problem. So try to see if you could go to the store where it was purchased and ask the manager. Of course it also depends on where you bought it, what the manager is like, and the if the Sony employee is nice or a jackass. . 

Avatar image for bareblackbottom
bareblackbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bareblackbottom
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

if you paid for it by check just use your carbon copy as a reciept if you paid by credit or debit get a copy of the statement and use that as a receipt.........hope that helps

codalloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 codalloo
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
That sucks man, well you can always get it repaired at a shop, if you Google some official Sony repair shops in your area they could do it for pretty cheap.