God of War 3 Loud fan issue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AJV91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AJV91
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

I have a 40GB. It's been repaired for the lens and they fixed the thermal compound and such. About 3/4 months ago. Anyways, the only games I've played since were Killzone 3 and Bad Company 2. Those games didn't make my fan run loud. I rented LA Noire and my fan sounded like a hairdryer, 15 minutes into the game. It stopped when I quit the game and went back to the PS menu. Same thing happened with God of War 3. I played for about 90 minutes and the fan was on for about 75 minutes. Then it stopped when I went back to the PS menu.

Is this normal? I could watch blu rays without the fan going crazy. Just wondering if I should worry. If you have links to forums regarding this, that'd be nice. Thanks

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#2 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
yea its normal enough. the newer games are pushing the ps3 a lot harder and because of that the cpu is producing a lot more heat than it would have with older games. sounds scary sometimes but its nothing to worry about. the ps3 gets loud sometimes but if its overheating you will know all about it. i think the system shuts down before it can overheat and damage itself but ive heard the fan on my old 60gb before it died in top gear and it was really loud but back on topic there isnt anythin to worry about the system is fine the fans just doing its job its built to handle that kinda heat
Bujikan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bujikan92
its not an issue, its normal on all fats. Mine does it for every game now, and even on the XMB after 10mins that I turn it on. It use to do it for some games and it would stop by its self, now it never stops even after I quit a game and I have to turn off my PS3 to make it stop, but it always does it no matter wat. I just keep on playing for hours on end with the fan on blast, it doesnt over heat or freeze, the fan could be blasting all day (and it has) and my PS3 stays fine
Avatar image for DrJekyll8MrHyde
DrJekyll8MrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DrJekyll8MrHyde
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

There have been reports that L.A. Noire overheats older PS3s. Rockstar blamed the 3.61 firmware update, but then there were reports of the 360 having the same problem. If you goggle "L.A Noire overheating" you'll find some articles.

People have also said the fan kicks in a lot sooner for God of War 3, again for older models.

Overall I wouldn't worry about it. And like the above poster said, if the system gets too hot it will automatically shut down.

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
if you read your ps3 manual it says right under trouble shooting that its normal and some guys will cause it, some will not
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
Even the Slim models do that.
SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SummerHillard
Member since 2011 • 414 Posts

That's why I only play these games in the winter. GTA IV, L.A. Noire, God of War III ... these games are not fit for summertime play, especially if you aren't using AC.

Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

I have a 40GB. It's been repaired for the lens and they fixed the thermal compound and such. About 3/4 months ago. Anyways, the only games I've played since were Killzone 3 and Bad Company 2. Those games didn't make my fan run loud. I rented LA Noire and my fan sounded like a hairdryer, 15 minutes into the game. It stopped when I quit the game and went back to the PS menu. Same thing happened with God of War 3. I played for about 90 minutes and the fan was on for about 75 minutes. Then it stopped when I went back to the PS menu.

Is this normal? I could watch blu rays without the fan going crazy. Just wondering if I should worry. If you have links to forums regarding this, that'd be nice. Thanks

AJV91

It's normal. Especially for God of War 3. You should never worry if fan speed reduces when you stop playing. That's a sure sign that everything is working properly. Working hard... But, working properly ;)

However, don't expect your PS3 to last too much longer. If it does, great. But, repairs typically only last 6 - 12 months.

AJV91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AJV91

[QUOTE="AJV91"]

Amir29

It's normal. Especially for God of War 3. You should never worry if fan speed reduces when you stop playing. That's a sure sign that everything is working properly. Working hard... But, working properly ;)

However, don't expect your PS3 to last too much longer. If it does, great. But, repairs typically only last 6 - 12 months.

6-12 months? Had it repaired about 4 months ago. So I should have maybe 2 more months, maybe. I go to Boot Camp, Marines, in September, I just need it to continue working until then. Haha