Getting books onto the PSP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mig-fulcrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mig-fulcrum
Member since 2004 • 260 Posts

Is it possible to get eBooks onto the PSP?  I'm not talking about digital novels.  Just regular books.  I have a converter that can take a Microsoft Reader files (.lit) and convert them into various format (.html, .txt, .rtf, and many more).  I was wondering if anyone had tried something like this before.  I know there is a browser for the psp; however, I haven't tried it as I am unfamiliar with this kind of stuff.  I thought that someone here who uses their psp for more than just games might have an idea whether this is possible or not.  Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers. 

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
I've read somewhere you can. When i was looking at what i can run on my custom firmware.
mig-fulcrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mig-fulcrum
I'm not too keen on custom firmware.  I'm always afraid I might brick my system.  I was hoping for a more straightforward method.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
You can try converting them into html and use the web browser to read it.  I do that with text files.  Mind you the browser only uses the PSP internal memory so your books can't be too big.
telorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 telorn
Member since 2002 • 2203 Posts

But the internal buffer allows 2-4 megs and that would be a huge txt file. A 2MB adobe ebook is around 600 pages.

If you convert large books to html you'll want to set up bookmark links to each chapter..otherwise you'll have to scroll through the whole thing to go back to where you left off.

I really wish Sony would support an ebook format myself.

skye144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skye144
Member since 2006 • 832 Posts

from Auri Rahimzadeh great book "hacking The psp 2nd edition"               "Even though there is no "official" eBook reader for the PS, you can still attempt to transfer text files, Word documents, PDFs, eBooks, and more to the PSP just by "printing" them out as images. There are a few different approaches to this, of course:            Use the PSP's image viewer to read your book using an image builder such as PaperlessPrinter or JPEGBook. Ther benefit to this approach is you can use it anhwere because all you need is a Memory Stick with your "book" on it. The drawback is the books are huge."

I thought he could say it better than I so I spent 2min typing this out. Hope it helps 

mig-fulcrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mig-fulcrum

Thanks all for the helpful comments.  I'll give your suggestions a try to see what works best for me.  Hopeful Sony will soon start supporting text files like PDF natively.  Well, here's to hoping.

sk8terdude24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sk8terdude24
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts

huh thats very interesting i think if i put books on my PSP it would make reading funner!!!im going to try it!

thx!

tha904mack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tha904mack
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

How do you get the books on to your computer