Getting a PS4, need some pointers!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Alright alright, I'm a cranky old jerk who's finally coming around to PS4 because Silent Hills looks like a sweet love story that may bring tears to my wrinkly eyes. I'm in.

So - does the PS4 come with an HDMI cord? If not, I plan on hooking it up to my receiver with an optical cord so I guess the 5-plug cord will be fine? I dunno. I also see ads for this little stand that charges the controllers, so do I need one of those too? I'm a lonely old grump and won't need a second controller so does the PS4 itself not charge one???

Also, I'm ordering a 50" Sceptre HDTV (1080p) to go with the PS4, but it's only $378 at Walmart so I'm a little skeptical, like old men always are. Lemme know what good/bad you know about the damn thing.

Also give me any recommendations you can think of for me to get the best results out of setting the PS4 up, I'd appreciate it. You can play on my lawn without getting yelled at, I won't even let my pitbull loose on you. Thanks in advance, sonny...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Yes, it comes with an HDMI cord.

Yes, the PS4 can charge controllers and comes with the charge cable in the box.

That TV doesn't sound so great, but I don't have time to look it up. I never bought a Walmart TV before I never heard of Sceptre. You may want to look into reviews at the very least. 1080p is nice, but make sure it's not a 60hz TV otherwise skip it.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

@SolidTy: It needs to be 120 Hz!? Damn, I thought I found a great deal on a cheap 50" HDTV...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@trollop_scat:

It doesn't HAVE to be 120Hz, my 60Hz 1080p TV is fine, but its a brand-name TV (Pioneer), Sceptre is an off-the-shelf brand, its basically crap.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@SolidTy said:

That TV doesn't sound so great, but I don't have time to look it up. I never bought a Walmart TV before I never heard of Sceptre. You may want to look into reviews at the very least. 1080p is nice, but make sure it's not a 60hz TV otherwise skip it.

Also wanted to add that the PS4 can charge controllers even when in standby mode which is a nice addition from the PS3 and echo the suggestion to check out the reviews on Sceptre. I am not familiar with that brand which tends to be a bad sign when it comes to TVs.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidTy

@trollop_scat said:

@SolidTy: It needs to be 120 Hz!? Damn, I thought I found a great deal on a cheap 50" HDTV...

I never said 120hz, I just said avoid 60hz (especially for a new PS4 and in 2014 HDTV shopping). I've been through this with family helping them choose HDTVs. I've walked them through HDTV retailers and electronic stores showing them the differences as they couldn't trust sales people and I enjoy technology. Plasmas are in the 600hz range for instance, and there are LEDs/LCDs in the 240hz-480hz range, far above 120hz. I just wanted to let you know I've seen some cheap HDTVs that seem like a good deal but have poor specs like either:

1. 720p, 120hz (Low resolution, decent enough refresh rate)
  2. 1080p, 60hz (Higher resolution, low refresh rate)

I always see sales on HDTVs and they retailers try to either hide the refresh rate or the resolution. They put "HD" in big lettering though, and maybe advertise ONLY the refresh rate, but more often they advertise ONLY the resolution on the box/label since '1080p' is a buzzword that even Joe Sixpack has come to recognize and look for. Avoid both the LOWEST resolution and the LOWEST refresh rates. Companies are compromising HDTVs to get low, cheap prices. Such a low quality HDTV would fail to prepare you for your PS4. It's also a poor purchase especially in 2014 since prices are now reasonable for at least middle ground HDTVs. No need to get the absolute worst since prices have come down so low. It's certainly not good for PS4 gaming. I'm not suggesting getting the best (4K, 3D, or 600hz), I'm just suggesting not settling for the worst for your new PS4...especially in 2014.

I can't stand 60hz, it's motion blurry, horrible and laggy when watching action Blu-Ray movies or playing fast video games. I can always tell when I go to a special friend's house he has a 60hz HDTV. It's rough. You can get used to it if that's all you know, but if you ever play on better TVs it's a night and day comparison. I don't even watch movies or game at my friends house who has a 60hz HDTV. We were playing SF4 and it was not a fun day. He got cheap HDTV for under $400 way back then (aka not 2014), but watching action movies and playing fast games is the worst on that setup unless you don't compare. The motion blur was horrendous. You can always tell if you came from the 1980s-1990s CRT gaming (refresh rates weren't an issue with the old CRTs). He doesn't notice the difference since he doesn't game on anything else and he hardly games as it is. The frequency at which you game should also be considered. Gaming is a fast medium and something like 60hz I couldn't tolerate in the PS360 generation, so for the PS4 generation you would be not setting yourself up right for an entirely new PS4...unless you see yourself buying yet another HDTV in two years (and who wants to do that?).

Also, my friend has had that terrible HDTV since the PS3 was new and he's upgraded his HDTV (Plasma like myself) more recently when he got his PS4.

I came from HDTVs CRT and a longtime arcade gamer, so I needed a much better refresh rate. I played a lot of twitchy games like FPS and Fighting games, so blur was NOT acceptable for me. Blur wasn't an issue with old CRT HDTVs, but the move to LCDs/LEDs presented a new problem. Luckily, it's been solved, but you just have to pay attention to the specs.

Yes, you can get some guy that will swear by his super low spec HDTVs in almost any forum, but he's not buying a HDTV in 2014 and you are. That person is coasting on his last bad purchase and is dealing with the choices he made to save a penny. Saving money is awesome, but I just wanted to help you avoid some of the pitfalls of buying an HDTV these days. Lucky for you, in 2014, prices are much lower than what I paid.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I'd recommend either a Samsung, Phillips or Sony HDTV. Yes there is a HD cord, and yes the controllers are chargeable.

I personally have a 40'' HDTV Samsung and it has a great picture. Got it for $400 at Fred Meyer, totally worth it.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I think your best spending your money on a better TV, do research even type in google top 10 tvs under what ever price, it will give you a good idea of whats good and what's not, it's better to have a great TV to appreciate the graphics of the PS4, I was one of them went with the hype and bought a huge TV but the colours aren't amazing, nor is the refresh rate, great for blu rays but games are ok but not nearly as good as if i bought I better TV.

PS4 comes with a
HDMI Cable
Controller and Charging Wire (which you can charge your controller up whilst in standby mode)

Good luck

PS - Honestly cannot stress on doing some research on Tv's and looking round for great prices, your'll be amazed in picture quality from 1 to the other

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SolidTy said:

pretty much this

AzNaLaN15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By AzNaLaN15
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

Controller and Charging Wire (which you can charge your controller up whilst in standby mode)

Mmm I've heard diff things. So can the controller charge while the system is off?

One of the gripes I've been hearing is the low battery life of the controller which is a little bit of a deal breaker for me if I have to be tethered to the system...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy

@AzNaLaN15 said:

@bezza2011 said:

Mmm I've heard diff things. So can the controller charge while the system is off?

One of the gripes I've been hearing is the low battery life of the controller which is a little bit of a deal breaker for me if I have to be tethered to the system...

The PS4, like the Vita, has a standby sleep type mode, and in that mode the PS4 charges controllers while the machine is off.

AzNaLaN15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 AzNaLaN15
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

@SolidTy: Sweet thanks for the info.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points