General Security Concerns - UPDATE: change email to PSN accounts ASAP

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Hey PS3 forum posters,

With the recent news about a type of security breach to your PlayStation Network account information, we'd like to make sure you are also considering all of your accounts you have on the web, which might also be easily accessible to someone with personal information about you.

You might have heard it before, but I'll repeat it again. If you have an email registered at a website, and you know that your password or information has been breached there, immediately take action on all of your personal accounts attached to that email. Do your best to never reveal an email that is attached to accounts that are important such as a credit card, bank account, and paypal type of service.

Never have the same password on one website or service as you have with another. Once an account has been breached, especially an email or instant messanger, it becomes easier to target other accounts you might have. For an example, it's quite easy to restore or reset passwords once someone has breached your email, If you'd like to brush up on what we've shared before, drop by this tip of the week.

There are other people who have shared concerns about identify theft, so drop by to read their experiences. Renzokucant made a thread here to give you some pointers, and Chilidragon also shared some general advice a while back.

Here are a couple of items worthy of considering from PSN's Official FAQ:

=========================

17. I got an email from you asking for my PSN/Qriocity sign-in ID and password. Is it really you asking for this information?
Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking.

18. What should I do to avoid having my personal information compromised?
For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, postal mail or other scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. Additionally, if you use the same user name or password for your PlayStation Network or Qriocity service account for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change the information for those accounts.

19. Why did Sony wait until now to tell PSN users that their personal information may have been compromised?
The nature of the intrusion required that we undertake an extensive and thorough investigation of the matter, which took considerable effort and time. We needed to make sure that we knew and understood the facts before providing the appropriate notice to PlayStation Network users.

=========================

UPDATE 5/18

REMINDER:Read through this Rumor Control news piece we have today, and don't forget to change your email so you're not such an easy target to hack. If you have to, create a new email that NOBODY knows.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Great idea Jody.
Canuck3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Canuck3k
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts

Has anyone else gotten an e-mail from sony about having their personal info taken? I just got one, and I want to know if they sent that to everyone, or just the people who did indeed have their info taken.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Has anyone else gotten an e-mail from sony about having their personal info taken? I just got one, and I want to know if they sent that to everyone, or just the people who did indeed have their info taken.

Canuck3k
sent to all emails registered to psn accounts
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

Canuck3k
Sony stated that they are in the process of sending all accounts emails.
Canuck3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Canuck3k
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts
Ah. Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts
[QUOTE="Canuck3k"]

Flame_Blade88
Sony stated that they are in the process of sending all accounts emails.

I haven't received one, is this because I'm in the UK or something?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#8 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I haven't received one, is this because I'm in the UK or something?DarthJohnova

I think it's because they're sending out the e-mails in batches. For instance: I received the e-mail yesterday but others are reporting just having gotten it today. Why they didn't do it all at once I don't know -- I'd wager that the PSN Network being down has something to do with it, though (perhaps it locked them out of the tools they use to send out a Network wide message?).

WhorrorLoLz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhorrorLoLz
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

When I called the credit card company, the dude knew I was calling about PS before I even said it. lolz

He also told me that I was safe, and the they're on watch for "suspicious* charges, and that I will be contacted and everything would be fixed if anything were to actually happen.

GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"] I haven't received one, is this because I'm in the UK or something?c_rake

I think it's because they're sending out the e-mails in batches. For instance: I received the e-mail yesterday but others are reporting just having gotten it today. Why they didn't do it all at once I don't know -- I'd wager that the PSN Network being down has something to do with it, though (perhaps it locked them out of the tools they use to send out a Network wide message?).

The latest us.playstation.com blog stated that every email address linked to a registered PSN account should recieve the email no later than April 28th, no specific time given.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Sucks for all those who have used their credit/debt cards on PSN. I've always have used PSN cards and will continue to do so in the future.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

So will Sony let us change our security question that we created when we first set up our PSN account?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

So will Sony let us change our security question that we created when we first set up our PSN account?Vari3ty

I would hope so. They would be stupid not to.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

My dad's still pretty frustrated about this whole thing.

(No, I'm not in middle school or something, I'm in high school. Shut up. :P)

We talked about it several times, and he's blaming Sony for latencies in their server software. Of course it's the hacker's fault, but that's like blaming a tornado for property damage instead of the building contractors who promised to make near-indestructible buildings.

GEE_WIZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GEE_WIZZ
Member since 2010 • 428 Posts

They are probably going to make you change your security question. They are definetly forcing us to change our password. Q: When or how can I change my PlayStation Network password?
A: We are working on a new system software update that will require all users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. We will provide more details about the new update shortly. -Playstation.Blog

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

My dad's still pretty frustrated about this whole thing.

(No, I'm not in middle school or something, I'm in high school. Shut up. :P)

We talked about it several times, and he's blaming Sony for latencies in their server software. Of course it's the hacker's fault, but that's like blaming a tornado for property damage instead of the building contractors who promised to make near-indestructible buildings.

KillerWabbit23
The Tornado analogy is pretty terrible, because a Tornado doesn't do anything on PURPOSE and it is not a living entity. Tornadoes are a force of nature, hackers are just asshats.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I haven't received anything from Sony yet.
psycho_chan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 psycho_chan13
Member since 2005 • 173 Posts

Thanks Jody. This whole thing has made me ticked off, like everyone else. Luckly I didn't have any credit card info on my account, normally when I shop on steam or any other virtual store, I add my info, buy what I want, then delete it off my account. Changed my passwords to my email and steam account, so I am now set.

Hopefully this or these hackers are caught and put to justice. I am so sick of hackers and truely don't understand why people do it in the first place.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I got the email finally. Thanks for this post Jody. :D
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Finally someone who sees what Sony sees, not just blaming Sony all the time. Two annoying things to hear: "OMG Sony how could you let someone get my information?!?!?" - You gave them it, nough said. "I want compensation!" - You get free service, go to Xbox if it bothers you, people on PSN+ are the only ones who have the right to want a refund, at best you'll get a few free months of PSN+(maybe even free users).
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
So did the hackers get CC info or just the other stuff?
blakout3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blakout3
Member since 2005 • 985 Posts

It's because sending 70 million e-mails at once would crash their system...

gamebacker2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamebacker2011
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Thanks! nice idea for security.
djseebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 djseebee
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts

did not take any email from sony yet, but take care from scammmers, but shall we change the password of our account or the old one is safley ???

MajinSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MajinSquall
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

Canuck3k
i got it twice which is a bit weird so i deleted them both just to be safe but from what i understand everyone with a PSN account will get one
verbalizeray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 verbalizeray
Member since 2009 • 764 Posts
Received an email by Sony yesterday, telling me things that I've already know. Now I'm anticipating another email from them reassuring that everything's fine agian...hopefully.
AceCometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 AceCometh
Member since 2004 • 1419 Posts

Thanks, chica! I've followed most of those ideas you've mentioned, but it's good to know I was on the right track. In protecting my identity, I mean.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

did not take any email from sony yet, but take care from scammmers, but shall we change the password of our account or the old one is safley ???

djseebee
you'll be required to make a new password once psn comes back up
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts
So did the hackers get CC info or just the other stuff?Deathtransit
The recent news says that it was encrypted.
djseebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 djseebee
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts

[QUOTE="djseebee"]

starwarsjunky

you'll be required to make a new password once psn comes back up

so i will change it as soon as coming back, thanks

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

So they pretty much just have to break encryption to get all our CC details?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

OmenUK
just call your bank and say that due to the PSN attack, you think your information may have been compromised and request a new card. they'll be more than happy to issue you a new one.
OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OmenUK

[QUOTE="OmenUK"]

starwarsjunky

just call your bank and say that due to the PSN attack, you think your information may have been compromised and request a new card. they'll be more than happy to issue you a new one.

Have done but with having my name, address, postcode, DOB, and then potentially my CC details, they have everything they need to access my account even though I have changed my card

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Canuck3k

I have no idea cause I forgot the password of my connected email adress, so I created a new one, meaning this whole identity theft scandal has virtually nothing to with me other than my youtube and gamespot accounts, and obviously psn.

blakout3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blakout3

For crying out loud, the hackers don't give a damn about personal or CC info, it's a personal thing between them and Sony. crymoar

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OmenUK

Your wrong, the hackers may not care about the information, but others do, and the hackers know this, and could, and probably will sell it to the highest bidder,meaning every single detail on that list of PSN users could be in the hands of someone willing to make money by defrauding companies using false details gained by buying our information.

blakout3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blakout3

^FBI and Dpt of Home Security releasing the banhammer...Win

nicko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nicko44
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts

so should i cancel my credit card?

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts

nicko44
This is my question also.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#42 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

[QUOTE="nicko44"]

Mochyc

I would just to be safe. If my current debit card was in, I would but my old one was (dunno if canceling a debit card is different from canceling a credit card, too young to know since I don't have one yet :P )

AudioPrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43 AudioPrison
Member since 2008 • 1620 Posts

Finally someone who sees what Sony sees, not just blaming Sony all the time. Two annoying things to hear: "OMG Sony how could you let someone get my information?!?!?" - You gave them it, nough said. "I want compensation!" - You get free service, go to Xbox if it bothers you, people on PSN+ are the only ones who have the right to want a refund, at best you'll get a few free months of PSN+(maybe even free users).JohnF111

Yeah I agree with you there. Yes I would have liked Sony to have upped their security measures BEFORE hand - they do have 77 million people registered to PSN after all. But technology advances all the time, the hackers must have gotten a hold of some damn good tech to do this.

So stop blaming Sony and be annoyed at the Hackers, their the ones that caused this.

AudioPrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AudioPrison

[QUOTE="Mochyc"][QUOTE="nicko44"]

bbkkristian

I would just to be safe. If my current debit card was in, I would but my old one was (dunno if canceling a debit card is different from canceling a credit card, too young to know since I don't have one yet :P )

I don't think it matters what kind of card it is, i've never had to cancel one before but thay can't refuse to cancel it could they? "No sir/madam we're not canceling your card" :lol:

But if you have any doubts id cancel it and get a new one just to be on the safe side. I've checked my account a few times and everything seems to be ok so... Just up to you really.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OmenUK

So stop blaming Sony and be annoyed at the Hackers, their the ones that caused this.AudioPrison

Thanks, but I will blame Sony for having outdated security to begin with that allowed the hackers just to stroll right in and take what they wanted.

AudioPrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AudioPrison

[QUOTE="AudioPrison"]So stop blaming Sony and be annoyed at the Hackers, their the ones that caused this.OmenUK

Thanks, but I will blame Sony for having outdated security to begin with that allowed the hackers just to stroll right in and take what they wanted.

I don't understand the need for the thanks there, but each to their own.

Mafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Mafty
Member since 2003 • 74 Posts
I had a email from my bank today asking me to update my information on my online bank account. It seems odd that I would get this right after PSN was hacked. I obviously did not goto the link, since my bank would never send me anything like this via email as its widely known these are scams. FWIW im in Canada and the bank is TD.
OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OmenUK

I had a email from my bank today asking me to update my information on my online bank account. It seems odd that I would get this right after PSN was hacked. I obviously did not goto the link, since my bank would never send me anything like this via email as its widely known these are scams. FWIW im in Canada and the bank is TD. Mafty

The best thing to do would be either to look in your local directory for the phone number of your nearest branch, or find the telephone number from a letter or statement that you have received and know to be legitimate, and to check with them directly and to check your account. Also if your able to give themm any information about the e-mail (IE the sender, return address, wording of it, etc) as you never know if they may be able to use some of this not just to warn others, but maybe as evidence should they ever get those people sending them out.

Avatar image for DeathRaiderut2k
DeathRaiderut2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 DeathRaiderut2k
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts

[QUOTE="AudioPrison"]So stop blaming Sony and be annoyed at the Hackers, their the ones that caused this.OmenUK

I completely agree Sony should have taken better care with all of our private information, i lost full respect for them! at the same time i dont understand what hackers gain with ruining online play for everyone? people need to go out into the sun once in a while!
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

i'm good so far since i changed all my passwords