Gaming at college

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Unfortunately, summer vacation is almost over and I'll be moving back into college soon. So I asked myself the most important question about moving back into college earlier today. (lol, not really.) But that question was, what console do I bring with me? When I'm not hanging out with friends, I want something to do with my free time on the weekends. (Gaming isn't the only thing I do, but you get the idea. If I'm stuck in my room with nowhere to go, I'd rather not stare at the ceiling for hours.) I've narrowed it down the PS2, PS3 and Dreamcast.

I have the most games for the PS2, more than any other console. And most of my favorite games are on the PS2, it is true that I can play PS2 games on my PS3 because it's an old model, but I'd have to start my PS2 games over because I wouldn't be able to use PS2 memory cards.

I also fear that my PS3 is gonna get the YLOD soon, or break in some other way. I've had it for a long time and lately the fan has been getting really loud. It would suck if my PS3 broke while I was away at school, then I wouldn't be able to play any console games. So I'm not sure if being able to play PS3 games in addition to being able to play PS2 games is worth it. I won't be able to play White Knight Chronicles 2 or Sonic Generations until I get home for Holiday break if I don't bring my PS3.

I recently started playing my Dreamcast again, I've been playing games like Jet Grind Radio and Sonic Adventure. I thought that maybe I should bring that to college instead. But I thought about it some more and I realized that the only reason I liked the idea was because I would be different. I'd be like a video game hipster on campus. Everyone else would be playing Madden and Halo on their brand new Xbox 360s while I'm playing Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure and Shenmue on my "outdated" Dreamcast. XD

Regardless, I'd like to erase my progress and replay my Dreamcast games over again.

So what do you guys think? I brought my PS3 with me last year, but I think I'd like to change it up this year. For those of you who dorm at college, what console do you take?

roots225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 roots225
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts

i say take the ps3 with you to collage since it has bc. plus i don't want you to miss the awsome games coming out in the next three monthes.

p.s back up that ps3

bggato23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bggato23
Member since 2004 • 65 Posts

If you dont really plan on playing online I say take the ps2. There are so many games out there and you can find them for cheap at the store and you can still watch dvds if you get tired of playing games. I still play the ps2 a lot. I used to have a backward compatibility ps3 but it died so I connected my trusty ps2 and I am not worried about it dying on me.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I'd take the PS3. If you've beaten most games then you really have nothing else to do other then start over with them, and you could always transfer save files.

Avatar image for phantom_blade66
phantom_blade66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#5 phantom_blade66
Member since 2009 • 930 Posts

No one is going to see you as a "hipster" for having a dreamcast.

Girls will have no idea what that is and won't care. And guys won't care because its not the PS3 or 360.

Sorry to burst your hipster bubble.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeoffZak

i say take the ps3 with you to collage since it has bc. plus i don't want you to miss the awsome games coming out in the next three monthes.

p.s back up that ps3

roots225

The only games I'm interested in are White Knight Chronicles 2 and Sonic Generations. There's also Tales of Graces f, but that's probably not until the middle of next year.

I think I'm gonna bring the PS2 because it has the best games. And I'd rather not lose my progress on my PS2 games that I haven't finished yet.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GeoffZak

No one is going to see you as a "hipster" for having a dreamcast.

Girls will have no idea what that is and won't care. And guys won't care because its not the PS3 or 360.

Sorry to burst your hipster bubble.

phantom_blade66

:roll:

The idea isn't becoming a hipster. It would make me feel like a hipster because it's not the "mainstream" thing to do. The "mainstream" thing to do, at least at my college, when playing video games is to play games like Call of Duty and Madden on the 360 or PS3, not Jet Grind Radio or Shenmue on the Dreamcast.

I hate hipsters, they don't have any good reasoning behind being different, they just do so for the sake of being different. Then they become arrogant towards people who don't know about their obscure interests that they only like because nobody else does. But that's besides the point.

I like the idea of bringing my Dreamcast to college because then I might be able to show some people that there's a lot more to gaming than Call of Duty and Madden. Games like Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure and Shenmue are classics and it's a shame that those games have faded into obscurity even though they were very successful when they were first released.

I was joking around when I used the term "hipster."

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts
Why not bring them all? Or at least two of them. The dorms at the university I attended for the past 5 years had enough room for a few consoles. :P I say, make room for all three!
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
I'd say bring the Dreamcast. A lot of people might not know what it is and think it's pretty cool. Also, it has a lot of great fighting games for multiplayer. 8) Above all, it's really unique and is a heck of a lot of fun.