Games that need to or should have stayed single player

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 Brawler-Dude
Member since 2008 • 1418 Posts

Becuase of a thread recently made, Multi-player possible be added to God of War 4, a game I think has no need for multi-player, got me think. What gameds do you think should never get multi-player or should have stayed single player.

Games that should never get multi-player: inFAMOUS, God of War, Mass Effect, Batman:AC, others I really can't think of right now

Games that should have stayed Single Player: ASSASSIN'S CREED really why did that game ever and I mean ever need multi-player, Dead Space, any Final Fantay online game, still other but don't feel like thinking

mywii1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 mywii1999
Member since 2007 • 165 Posts

Should stay single player: portal 2

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

OMG I could go on forever on this topic. There were and are so many games that don't need the online aspect and actually killed the franchise or experience.

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 Brawler-Dude
Member since 2008 • 1418 Posts

OMG I could go on forever on this topic. There were and are so many games that don't need the online aspect and actually killed the franchise or experience.

ItsBriskBaby

*cough* Assassin's Creed *cough* don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but for single player not multi-player, while it is a creative way of doing multi-player, it was truly not needed in the game

Maluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maluk
Member since 2004 • 175 Posts

Bioshock.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

Should stay single player: portal 2

mywii1999
I 100% disagree with this. Portal 2's co-op was every bit as good as the single player.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Bioshock, Uncharted and Metal Gear.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#8 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Uncharted 2, AC Brotherhood, Bioshock 2,GTA IV. Plenty more to, but then again some people found them to be fun.
MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 MoNsTeR_zAcH
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts

I think that warhawk and MAG needed a single player

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

assassin creed, games that do have single player with a tacked on multiplayer doesn't bother me (Bioshock, Uncharted, Dead Space) but Assassin creed had a whole game devoted to its multiplayer and that irked me. I was so excited to try it out too but i did not find it fun and honestly don't see how the masses did either, wow your just running around playing tag with each other, wooow. I don't know i'm a big fan of the series and skipped on brother hood but am excited for assassin creed 3

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts
One's that I personally thought would have been better as singleplayer were MGS4, uncharted2 and portal2, but was shocked to find out how fun online they actually were...on a sidenote though, bioshock 2 multiplayer was a letdown
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Bioshock, Uncharted and Metal Gear.Fightingfan

lol metal gear is one of my all time favorites!

Steel_Rain777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Steel_Rain777
Member since 2007 • 1776 Posts

I didn't mind UC2's multiplayer because the single-player was still awesome. All I can think of at the moment is Bioshock 2, The Darkness, and Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Bioshock, Uncharted and Metal Gear.23Jarek23

lol metal gear is one of my all time favorites!

MGO was a complete joke, though. If it were even decent, I would have loved it. Too bad this whole Konami ID and separate from PSN thing was disastrous IMO. But MGS4, as in the core game, remains one of my favorites ever!
Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
what's wrong with uncharted's multiplayer? it's my most played online game this gen next to team fortress 2(pc).
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

yeah, i actually like uncharted 2's multiplayer. however, chronicles of riddick should never have had online, same goes for the red faction one (it was decent at best), and singularity.

I'd say Assassin's Creed didn't need multiplayer, but I don't think Ubisoft cares about it anymore since they're in the current mindset of cranking one out every year (truely a shame).

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MoNsTeR_zAcH
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts

yeah, i actually like uncharted 2's multiplayer. however, chronicles of riddick should never have had online, same goes for the red faction one (it was decent at best), and singularity.

I'd say Assassin's Creed didn't need multiplayer, but I don't think Ubisoft cares about it anymore since they're in the current mindset of cranking one out every year (truely a shame).

blueboxdoctor

Assassin's Creed: Revelations!

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

I like Uncharted 2's online although i was against it when it was announced, shame on me for thinking naughty dog would release something half-assed lol..

Dead Space, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid are ones that i played and was like why even add this.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
Bioshock Metal Gear Assassin's Creed Dead Space GTA but seems like everyone has mentioned these already
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Bioshock, Uncharted and Metal Gear.Fightingfan
UC2 has great MP

piis3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 piis3
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

... The Darkness...

Steel_Rain777

The Darkness should have remained a zero player game.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Bioshock, Uncharted and Metal Gear.spookykid143

UC2 has great MP

I don't think people are really commenting on the quality of the MP as much as the necessity for MP. Some games just doesn't need MP and those resources could be better spent giving the single player replay value. Uncharted I don't think should of had a traditional deathmatch, capture the flag etc multiiplayer, I think a co-op mode that was completely separate from the single player, but played like it, would be great. And a game that immediately comes to mind that needs to ditch the extra players is RE, RE5 already lost a ton of the horror aspect, adding a second person just killed it completely. On top of that, a lot of those co-op mechanics were annoying, like needing the partners to save each other when low on health.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Resident Evil should be a single player experience, I would not mind Merc mode but the story should be played alone.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Yeah, Resident Evil is definitely something that should have stayed Single Player, because RE5's multiplayer DLC was godawful. Also, Dead Space. I would say Bioshock too, but I personally believe that adding multiplayer is what forced the devs of Bioshock 2 to make the feel of the shooting substantially better than the first game. In the first bioshock shooting just was not fun.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#25 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

I don't care as I just see multiplayer as an extra as your not forced into playing multiplayer. The only thing I hate is when developers put more time into multiplayer and end up cutting down the single player campaign.

Srenjy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Srenjy
Member since 2010 • 307 Posts
yeah you got a point TC.. i rather have 5 more hours of campaign than a multiplayer for games like uncharted, DEADSPACE and red dead redemption, just think about it man, those games dont need to be multiplayer games, we have plenty of games already that has multiplayer and should be played multiplayer, just look at al the shooters
Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

yeah you got a point TC.. i rather have 5 more hours of campaign than a multiplayer for games like uncharted, DEADSPACE and red dead redemption, just think about it man, those games dont need to be multiplayer games, we have plenty of games already that has multiplayer and should be played multiplayer, just look at al the shootersSrenjy

But given that assessment, which would you rather have: A pointless multiplayer component or 5 hours of pointless single-player padding? One you can ignore, the other you can't.

Out of the games you mentioned, all three were amazing single player experiences despite adding multiplayer. Of the three though, I feel like Uncharted did the best job of making the MP feel like a welcome addition and not just tacked-on. Dead Space's MP, while fun and kind of niche, was very limited on scope in terms of maps and what you could do. I feel like it suffered the same fate as BioShock 2's MP: Cool idea in theory, but not enough to keep you coming back and not what people are buying the game for in the first place.

Red Dead's MP is great in concept, but it feels like a letdown compared to what I was expecting. I feel like a large part of this is due to the shooting mechanics. If a shooter doesn't "feel" right whether it's third-person or otherwise it's going to affect your enjoyment of the game. Uncharted, Dead Space, and SOCOM 4 are all games that I feel have better feeling mechanics than RDR. I'm not saying it's terrible. It's a vast improvement over GTAIV and it's great for the SP and co-op. But for competitive play I feel like the gunplay should've been tighter.

Out of all those games though, I feel like Uncharted was the exception, not the rule.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

The Darkness, Bioshock 2, Prey, Fable, and to be quite honest: Gears of War.

I could just imagine Gears of War being an incredible game if it just had a lengthy campaign with a satisfying story. Even co-op would be fine, but just not that awful multi player..

FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

Bioshock

Dead Space (Even though I did enjoy playing it, the game didn't need it)

Bulletstorm (Again, enjoyed playing, was new and different but got old and boring real quick)

And please, for goodness sake leave my Batman: AC and possibly God Of War 4 alone. There is no need for multiplayer here. Time for developers to stop jumping on the multiplayer bandwagon. The good games stand on their own merits, and if it a single player game that is good with no multiplayer, then leave it alone.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts
I've been saying this for years: Bring back Shadowrun!!! And no, not the multiplayer garbage that was made a few years back. :)
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I'll take a good single player experience over multiplayer any day.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some fun experiences online and I'm looking forward to Battlefield 3, but I think multiplayer is far overrated and it's disappointing to see the single player campaigns of many games suffering because of multiplayer being tacked on by devs all the time. If it's done well, multiplayer can be a really fun addition, but in most games it just feels like an afterthought or it's become so mainstream and generic that it never improves from one game to the next *cough* COD *cough*.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Because the multiplayer components are optional, I feel that this thread is pointless. Don't want multiplayer? Then don't click the button mapped to logging online to play multiplayer. Instead of knocking multiplayer, how about making suggestions to improve on the systems already in place, or just stick to playing offline.
Ian_K2772

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ian_K2772
Member since 2010 • 812 Posts

[QUOTE="ItsBriskBaby"]

Brawler-Dude

*cough* Assassin's Creed *cough* don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but for single player not multi-player, while it is a creative way of doing multi-player, it was truly not needed in the game

In my opinion the MP was absolutely fantastic, I personally cannot wait for what they do with Revelations. Hopefully some different gameplay...
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
Because the multiplayer components are optional, I feel that this thread is pointless. Don't want multiplayer? Then don't click the button mapped to logging online to play multiplayer. Instead of knocking multiplayer, how about making suggestions to improve on the systems already in place, or just stick to playing offline.JKnaperek
i completely agree with you
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 should never had had multiplayer. They didn't need it, and its inclusion did not improve the games in the slightest. Same with Condemned 2, Chronicles of Riddick, and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

GTA IV, Bioshock 2, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, Dead Space 2, Uncharted 2 etc. All tacked on in my opinion and they are all crap. They should have atleast invested time into them to make them decent instead of just throwing it in the game just for the sake of having multiplayer just to further sell their games. Stupid.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Foulcry
Because the multiplayer components are optional, I feel that this thread is pointless. Don't want multiplayer? Then don't click the button mapped to logging online to play multiplayer. Instead of knocking multiplayer, how about making suggestions to improve on the systems already in place, or just stick to playing offline.JKnaperek
These companies could have invested their time into making the SP even better instead of wasting pointless time on crappy extra content. Maybe you like wasting your $60 dollers that you earned on games that should have better elements in them then the half attempted and poorly designed multiplayer that doesn't need to be in the game but I sure don't.
Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

Uncharted 2, AC Brotherhood, Bioshock 2,GTA IV. Plenty more to, but then again some people found them to be fun.bigd575

could of not said it better. But, Uncharted 2's multiplayer was fun, but very pointless.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Id say Uncharted. Really, games like Uncharted, Infamous, and God of War would be really good for co-op, but not a straight up multiplayer.
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I agree with everything you said, so I guess I don't have anything to add.

blahsalt48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blahsalt48
Member since 2010 • 208 Posts
These companies could have invested their time into making the SP even better instead of wasting pointless time on crappy extra content. Maybe you like wasting your $60 dollers that you earned on games that should have better elements in them then the half attempted and poorly designed multiplayer that doesn't need to be in the game but I sure don't.Foulcry
How do you know they didn`t have an entirely diffirent team specializeing in multiplayer working on it. Or, maby they finished the game and decided to add a multiplayer to it after the campin is wraped up and ready to go. Just because there is multiplayer (tacked on or not) doesn`t mean they sacrificed any part of the campain. P.S. Awsome sig, I am playing FF8 again while I wait for PSN to come back. (trying to 100% it for the first time)
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Foulcry
[QUOTE="Foulcry"]These companies could have invested their time into making the SP even better instead of wasting pointless time on crappy extra content. Maybe you like wasting your $60 dollers that you earned on games that should have better elements in them then the half attempted and poorly designed multiplayer that doesn't need to be in the game but I sure don't.blahsalt48
How do you know they didn`t have an entirely diffirent team specializeing in multiplayer working on it. Or, maby they finished the game and decided to add a multiplayer to it after the campin is wraped up and ready to go. Just because there is multiplayer (tacked on or not) doesn`t mean they sacrificed any part of the campain. P.S. Awsome sig, I am playing FF8 again while I wait for PSN to come back. (trying to 100% it for the first time)

Very true but most of the time it is known that they sacrifice development time for the single player to add in other features. Thanks man yea I finished it about a month or two ago I have been going back and playing all of them. I finished FFVII about 5 months ago then FFVIII and now I'm wrapping up FFIX. Next is FFX and then I still have to finish FFXIII.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

There are so many games that would've been better without multiplayer.

usermikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 usermikey
Member since 2008 • 506 Posts

inFAMOUS, God of War, Mass Effect, Batman, and Assassin's Creed. though Bioshock and Uncharted made it work I guess, but Assassin's Creed I feel is a tiny bit stretching it. But hey oh well. :D Darn them online trophies though!!!!

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

GTA IV. bigd575
Disagree majorly there. GTA IV's multiplayer was absolutely fantastic. It was the saving grace of the game. The single player was extremely underwhelming, especially when compared to San Andreas. The multiplayer on the other hand was surprisingly awesome, and really enhances the GTA experience. Just messing around in the open world is a big appeal of GTA. Add in loads of players online to mess around with and the experience gets 10 time more fun and crazy. I cant wait to see what Rockstar come up with for the online in GTA V.

Avatar image for bostadskontrakt
bostadskontrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 bostadskontrakt
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Bioshock, Uncharted and Metal Gear.spookykid143

UC2 has great MP

Uh, well tastes differ I guess. I think Uncharted should've stuck to singleplayer as well. I feel like it doesn't even matter if its is good mp, it shouldn't be there.
ken8659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 ken8659
Member since 2005 • 942 Posts

well the way i see it if it doesnt alter the single player in any way and doesnt force you to play online etc who cares