Game stuck in YLODed PS3, help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

justifythegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 justifythegame
Member since 2003 • 475 Posts

So my ps3 YLODed for like the 100th time. I'm not paying$150 to sony to get another refurb piece of crap. Im just going to buy a ps3 slim. But my game is stuck in the console. The fan test method to eject disk doesn't work as my console is a launch 60gig. So i decided to open it up and get the disk out. But i couldn't even start on that because the faceplate screw head (the screw under the warrantly sticker) is stripped! I even went to the hardware store and got the exact screwdriver that was slim enough to fit down the long hole and i still cant get a grip on the screw,

Now i dunno what to do anymore. Any suggestions? My bro told me to just destroy the faceplate/console as i wont be using it anymore and get the disc out, but i want to keep it because i spent so much money and it is a launch console/collectors item that might be worth something in the future. And i don't want to spend another $60 buying madden again which is the game thats stuck in...it will be worth nothing next year anyway.

n e ways ur opinions r appreciated.

Nerkle01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Nerkle01
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts

So my ps3 YLODed for like the 100th time. I'm not paying$150 to sony to get another refurb piece of crap. Im just going to buy a ps3 slim. But my game is stuck in the console. The fan test method to eject disk doesn't work as my console is a launch 60gig. So i decided to open it up and get the disk out. But i couldn't even start on that because the faceplate screw head (the screw under the warrantly sticker) is stripped! I even went to the hardware store and got the exact screwdriver that was slim enough to fit down the long hole and i still cant get a grip on the screw,

Now i dunno what to do anymore. Any suggestions? My bro told me to just destroy the faceplate/console as i wont be using it anymore and get the disc out, but i want to keep it because i spent so much money and it is a launch console/collectors item that might be worth something in the future. And i don't want to spend another $60 buying madden again which is the game thats stuck in...it will be worth nothing next year anyway.

justifythegame
um do the temporary ylod fix and get it out. Maybe cut around the stripped screw and pop the face plate off. My 60 gb launch ylod'd on me too the day after I got MOH and that's stuck In my ps3. So I'm in the same boat as you. Imma attempt the temp. Ylod fix to get my game n data back so wish me luck..
justifythegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 justifythegame

um do the temporary ylod fix and get it out. Maybe cut around the stripped screw and pop the face plate off. My 60 gb launch ylod'd on me too the day after I got MOH and that's stuck In my ps3. So I'm in the same boat as you. Imma attempt the temp. Ylod fix to get my game n data back so wish me luck..

Temp YLOD fix!? How the heck do u do that? I never heard if this. Anyways i stuck a flat screwdriver in between the faceplat and just popped it off. It broke off the screw tho so now the faceplate will always be loose... SUCKS! Anyway when u open it up u gotta open up the blu ray drive like twice to get to the disc. (youtube it). Good luck getting MOH out.

PS3s are built like crap, after opening it up you notice all the cheap crap they use to build it. 1 thing people have noticed it the cheap thermal paste they used which its YLODing in the first place. Then you got the rest of it, right down to the 1cent worthless screws that strip easy. I spent $600+ plus 150 each on like 4 refurbs but these things are built so cheap. I haven't heard anything bad about the slims so hopefully it will be the end of my isses. Maybe my fat will be worth something 1 day.

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
flip the switch in the back of the ps3, hold the eject button, while holding eject flip the switch to on. Turn on the ps3 and repeatedly tap the eject until it gives you a disc. Ive seen this work.
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

Temp YLOD fix!? How the heck do u do that? I never heard if this. Anyways i stuck a flat screwdriver in between the faceplat and just popped it off. It broke off the screw tho so now the faceplate will always be loose... SUCKS! Anyway when u open it up u gotta open up the blu ray drive like twice to get to the disc. (youtube it). Good luck getting MOH out.

PS3s are built like crap, after opening it up you notice all the cheap crap they use to build it. 1 thing people have noticed it the cheap thermal paste they used which its YLODing in the first place. Then you got the rest of it, right down to the 1cent worthless screws that strip easy. I spent $600+ plus 150 each on like 4 refurbs but these things are built so cheap. I haven't heard anything bad about the slims so hopefully it will be the end of my isses. Maybe my fat will be worth something 1 day.

justifythegame

The fix is basically involves heat gunning the motherboard and praying the solder resets and fixes it. There are screwdriver heads that are specifically made to get out stripped screws, but if the thing is toast already and it's already been fixed that many times just rip it off it's probably not going to be repairable and it's not going to be collectible in the future... if an original NES isn't worth more than $20 if it doesn't work, this thing would be just as worthless.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

justifythegame

If you honestly think that a launch PS3 (something that millions of other people bought) is going to become a collectors item I think you need to stop lying to yourself. Yes you dished out the $600 for it, and it was expensive, but honestly its only a piece of electronics. I'm not sure what game you have in there, but if I were you I'd listen to your brother: tear that thing apart! :D In all honestly though, once you do that and buy a slim you'll feel much better, as the slim is half the price of what your YLOD console was at launch, not to mention about 10x better.

justifythegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 justifythegame
thx for the advice guys. i ended up opening it up and getting the disc out. it went ok and i put it back together. but you guys made some good points about it being worthless. i ordered a ps3 slim... but who is to say it won't have ylod problems down the road so im going to try and fix the broken ps3 with the heat gun method b4 i open the slim since its worthless as u say. or i think i'll try to sell it on craiglist maybe.
justifythegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 justifythegame

flip the switch in the back of the ps3, hold the eject button, while holding eject flip the switch to on. Turn on the ps3 and repeatedly tap the eject until it gives you a disc. Ive seen this work.budboarder

That trick doesn't work on certain models. but i got it out thx