Game of the Year??!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Phantasm
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Of all the video games that came out this year, THE LAST of US is the one that received ''Game of the Year'' from numerous sources. Usually, GAMESPOT is the one place that I trust most because of their accurate and honest reviews. They named this GOTY too, but I HATED THIS GAME! I'm not much of a stealth gamer first of all, and I just don't have the patience to play the game slowly and carefully, then make a single mistake, and start over again. Either I was simply bored with no enemies around or swamped by a troop of them...not to mention the numerous cutscenes every few minutes (but the story is the best part of the game though). I had to try certain areas 20-30 times before passing the area and almost put it down completely after awhile...the gameplay was just too frustrating for me. How this beat out GTA V, Beyond, and other games I don't know but I'm warning any gamers who haven't played this yet DONT GET YOUR HOPES UP!

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

so you're saying its bad because the game just isn't your style? makes sense.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@phantasm:

Not knowing anything about you, it's hard to take your recommendation seriously. Maybe you only like sports games...or are a hardcore Pokemon gamer, who knows?

It's your opinion and "to each his own". But to dismiss various games sources and their vote for GOTY because it doesn't mirror yours is silly.

DenzelFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DenzelFreeman
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts

Just because you don't like this game doesn't mean it's not game of the year. It may not be your game of the year and may not be your style but you cannot deny it's success. It has not gained this much popularity simply because the public is wrong, it is a good game whether it's your cup of tea or not.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Another guy passing off his OPINION as fact.

It was my game of the year. My friends have GTA5 as their game of the year. It's an opinion. See the difference?

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

@phantasm:

You are in a very very very small percentage. I actually have the last of us, bioshock infinite, grand theft auto v, assassins creed black flag and dmc: devil may cry. My vote for game of the year is the last of us. There is a reason why it got 95 metascore because it deserves it.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#6 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

TLOU is a terrible example for a stealth game. If you want great stealth, hitman, dues ex and dishonored.

I personally think Ni No Kuni should have claimed goty.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

TLOU is a terrible example for a stealth game. If you want great stealth, hitman, dues ex and dishonored.

I personally think Ni No Kuni should have claimed goty.

Ni No Kuni is absolutely superb. Just started the post game stuff after 65 hours and it absolutely flew by. Great, great game but IMHO not as good as TLOU which was a masterpiece.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

You could have just lowered the difficulty setting.

rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts

TLOU is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever played. I'm not sure how much of my opinion of it was because I was just so sick of the run-and-gun games I played for so long and the change of pace was nice, but most of it is just because it really is a that great of a game in my opinion.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@whiskeystrike said:

You could have just lowered the difficulty setting.

My gut tells me that he probably already had it on the lowest setting.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

The last of us was more then deserving of GOTY.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

You don't HAVE to like the most popular game of the year, but I just want to address a few things you said. First of all, The Last of Us isn't strictly a stealth game. It has stealth elements, sure. But as someone who also doesn't care too much for stealth games, I loved playing The Last of Us. It's best to use stealth in most situations, but it's not like you have to. I have a hard time believing someone could struggle that much getting through this game. I mean, you can use listening mode to SEE ENEMIES THROUGH WALLS. Even if all goes to hell, you should have enough ammo to take care of any enemies running at you on lower difficulty levels. Also, I think the cutscenes and moments when you're in control were well balanced and transitioned well, but that's just my opinion.

So yeah, it's fine you didn't like the game as much as most people did, but I'm going to be a dick and say it's mostly your fault for not adjusting to the gameplay well. The whole GOTY stuff is arbitrary crap that really doesn't mean much. It's your personal GOTY that matters.