Free games previously "purchased" as part of PS+ are getting deleted from our accounts!

max3290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By max3290
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

Just wanted to provide a public service announcement for PS+ users out there.

For those of you that may not be aware, Sony has removed "purchased" games that were offered for free with PS+. Specifically, Prototype 2 which was available in Jan 2015 though there may be more. Unfortunately, Sony provides no notification which would allow users to download the game to their system. The game, Prototype 2, is no longer available because a newer bundle version came out which costs ~$30. Evidence of the purchase was also deleted from the account. If not for an email receipt of the purchase, no one would know that the item was purchased. The purchase history should still be in the account with a note saying the content is no longer available. They could not even tell me if any other games have been removed.

In my opinion, it is unethical that Sony does not notify customers that content will no longer be available. When I asked the manager if anything could be done, he quoted the terms and conditions saying "We reserve the right to remove any content and communication from PSN Services at our sole discretion without notice". However, after I spoke with him and looked at the terms and conditions, this statement only applies to content and communications as it relates to violations of the code of conduct. This is not a customer focused practice and I am very disappointed in Sony. How many other digital purchases have been deleted? There is no way of knowing.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Wow never expected this, wonder if its a 4yr old thing, games given away before 4 yrs are deleted.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

They’re deleting a game you downloaded to your hard drive? Or are they making it unlaunchable?

Either way that’s terrible customer service. Luckily I’m not a customer of anything sony related so I’m unaffected.

max3290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By max3290

@GTR12: I checked a few other games from that time and it just seemed like that one game, from Jan 2015. Might be others though. No way to tell.

@Sevenizz: No. They are not deleting games that are downloaded, but they are deleting games from the cloud so that you are no longer able to download them.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12

@max3290: Don't reply to him, he's a troll.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I'm guessing you just "added it to your library"? If the game is removed on the PS store, you can't download it. I tried downloading the PT demo again and couldnt even though it's in my library.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

As a huge Sony fan I find this a pretty terrible practice. I would understand if they were wiping access to Prototype 2 across the board for some contractual reason but removing only the free PS+ version while leaving the more expensive bundle for PS3 is a little shady to say the least.

However, I am not particularly outraged. If I really wanted to play it now I would have and the game will more than likely be on sale for a deep discount anyway. This one stands out because I actually purchased a used copy from GS which didn't work.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

I'm guessing you just "added it to your library"? If the game is removed on the PS store, you can't download it. I tried downloading the PT demo again and couldnt even though it's in my library.

I've also been just adding games to my library without downloading. OP has a valid request in Sony at least giving a heads up when they are removing titles from the store to give individuals an opportunity to download it to their system.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

That is strange. Can't remember if I "bought" Prototype 2 when it was on PS+, but either way it doesn't show that I have it. However, I do have a PS+ game that has since been removed from the store (Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition) that I was still able to download from my download list. I figure that's how it should work in cases like these, but perhaps not.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

@SoNin360: Its exactly like PT, even if you "bought" it, if its not on your HDD already, you cant download it all, its like the game never existed.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Damn this is bad. I dont care about the game but I do care that Sony may do this again in future.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

That's why I don't buy anything digitally, cause you do not own the game, only the license to use it, and that license may be revoked after some time. Physical copies all the way.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@SoNin360: Its exactly like PT, even if you "bought" it, if its not on your HDD already, you cant download it all, its like the game never existed.

That's why I've kept it on my HDD, not like it takes a lot of space.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

This is pretty disgusting. You've got people like @ProtossRushX thinking Sony, left alone without competition, would be great. This is stuff they are doing WITH competition on the field. Give a big faceless corporation an inch, and it will take a mile, I tell ya

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I noticed this morning that Sony removed the PS+ titles from the PS3 PSN store, and didn't display the cross-play titles in the PS4 PSN store.

This is concerning behaviour.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12

@shellcase86 said:

I noticed this morning that Sony removed the PS+ titles from the PS3 PSN store, and didn't display the cross-play titles in the PS4 PSN store.

This is concerning behaviour.

There are like 2 titles with cross-play.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shellcase86

@GTR12: True. It used to be that the cross play titles were featured in the main landing page for the current month's PS+ landing page. I noticed last month that you had to go look for them instead.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GTR12

@shellcase86 said:

@GTR12: True. It used to be that the cross play titles were featured in the main landing page for the current month's PS+ landing page. I noticed last month that you had to go look for them instead.

Who the **** cares about what has/doesn't have crossplay.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shellcase86

@GTR12 said:
@shellcase86 said:

Who the **** cares about what has/doesn't have crossplay.

You're missing the point. It's the behavior that is the problem. Sony previously made it easy and simple to redeem those titles, whereas last time I checked it now requires an extra step.

If they're behavior shows that they're willing to remove games and making the user experience less convenient - should we expect further anti-gamer/consumer actions to follow next?

I'm not all that alarmed, but it's something difficult not to notice.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12

@shellcase86 said:

You're missing the point. It's the behavior that is the problem. Sony previously made it easy and simple to redeem those titles, whereas last time I checked it now requires an extra step.

If they're behavior shows that they're willing to remove games and making the user experience less convenient - should we expect further anti-gamer/consumer actions to follow next?

I'm not all that alarmed, but it's something difficult not to notice.

So you want Sony to go back to every single crossplay game (going back to PS2) and add that crossplay is enabled with [insert system]?

And on top of that, update the description of games that have an update (no pun intended) to enable crossplay?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Not as bad as cancelling games, releasing shit ones and not making a single decent exclusive title. Besides, this is not exclusive to Sony, it is the nature of digital content, your problem if you sign up to it, no sympathy here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#22 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@Random_Matt: I hope you get nominated Cow of the year for 2019, that's quite a statement.

shialzsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shialzsan
Member since 2019 • 8 Posts

did not expect that

max3290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By max3290

Well, it looks like Black Ops 3 for PS4, which was part of the PS+ Free games in June 2018 has also been removed from my digital library. So damn frustrating. I wonder how many other games disappeared.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

This is Sony shooting themselves in the foot again. Their recent policies around refunds on digital games, the ongoing censorship of games, the removal of ps3 and vita games from psplus and now this?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

It seems like publishers may have had Sony wipe out PSN licenses for PS3 games that have a PS4 version.

Ex. Prototype 2 (PS3 version) was given out as part of PSN+ but, the PSN Store only currently sells the PS4 version.

I can still access the PSN+ / PS3 version of Saints Row 2, and Vanquish but not Sleeping Dogs (it has a PS4 version). Heck, I still access the PS1 games they were giving out for PS3 like Crash Bandicoot. But, I can't remember if I downloaded others ( a lot of the early PSN+ games were whack lol).

Here's a list I hope helps folks:

https://www.finder.com.au/gaming/playstation-plus-free-games

Steps: Find the game on the PS Store and see if it's marked as purchased for you: https://store.playstation.com

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Very interesting read.