FPS Crosshair Acceleration?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 p4ddym
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts

I have been playing Far Cry 2 on the PS3 and i cant stand the cursor acceleration.

The crosshair should move at a constant speed. Far Cry 2's cursor just accelerates. Fallout 3's cursor travels at a constant speed. Which is so much better and more accurate.

Avatar image for 224385652654335052701865008979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 224385652654335052701865008979
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts
Hmm.. I have both. I can't tell the difference. Not to say that you're not seeing something but I haven't noticed. I'm curious to compare now! :)
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

THANK YOU!

Oh man, I kept forgetting to make this thread.

I absolutely HATE cursor acceleration.

In fact, you just saved me $60.

I was going to get Farcry 2 eventually, but I won't pick it up at all now that I know about this.

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 p4ddym

THANK YOU!

I was going to get Farcry 2 eventually, but I won't pick it up at all now that I know about this.

Scianix-Black

Sorry Ubisoft, lol

I seriously despise cursor acceleration. It put me off playing Turok.

I just dont understand why they have this acceleration. It should be a steady movement so you can judge it. Devs are sometimes really stupid.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

THANK YOU!

p4ddym

Sorry Ubisoft, lol

I just dont understand why they have this acceleration. It should be a steady movement so you can judge it. Devs are sometimes really stupid.

WHY does it exist in the first place?

I mean JEEZ.

It's one of the main reasons that I hate Warhawk, too.

There was another PS3 FPS that had it, I think, and it really made me hate the game.

Gabe11cap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gabe11cap
Member since 2003 • 1796 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

THANK YOU!

p4ddym

Sorry Ubisoft, lol

I agree with you that devs sometimes make some really bad mistakes. They think they have come up with some grand idea while all of us are going, "WTH have you done?!"

Despite the acceleration I still like Far Cry 2.

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 p4ddym
[QUOTE="p4ddym"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

THANK YOU!

Scianix-Black

Sorry Ubisoft, lol

I mean JEEZ.

There was another PS3 FPS that had it, I think, and it really made me hate the game.

I think Warhawk was a TPS but yeah. That is one of the reasons i didnt like Warhawk. It just feels that you have less control over your aiming. Pretty sure COD4's aiming was good. Far Cry 2 is probably the worst example of this that i have played.

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 p4ddym

Yeah. Me too. But it really holds it back in my mind. It is a good game but with no acceleration it would be a great game.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="p4ddym"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

THANK YOU!

p4ddym

Sorry Ubisoft, lol

I mean JEEZ.

I think Warhawk was a TPS but yeah. That is one of the reasons i didnt like Warhawk. It just feels that you have less control over your aiming. Pretty sure COD4's aiming was good. Far Cry 2 is probably the worst example of this that i have played.

CoD4's aiming is perfect.

Besides, it's not like PC FPS games have acceleration.

That'd be stupid.

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 p4ddym
[QUOTE="p4ddym"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="p4ddym"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

THANK YOU!

Scianix-Black

Sorry Ubisoft, lol

I mean JEEZ.

CoD4's aiming is perfect.

Besides, it's not like PC FPS games have acceleration.

That'd be stupid.

On the PC you have much more control over the cursor anyway. You can move the mouse slow or fast. But why in a console game would they give you less control over your aiming. It really pisses me off.

I am praying that Killzone 2 doesnt have this. That would really be annoying.

Gabe11cap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gabe11cap
Member since 2003 • 1796 Posts
p4ddym

Yeah. Me too. But it really holds it back in my mind. It is a good game but with no acceleration it would be a great game.

Yeah that's true. When I first started playing it I went, "Waaaaaiiiiit a second, somethin's not right here." I got used to it but at least now I know what it is.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Scianix-Black

When I have to adjust my view in the ironsights a couple centimeters to the left, it should be moving at the same speed as if I were to spin all the way around to the left.

Crosshair acceleration kills any form of accuracy, unless you're used to it.

babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts

Ugh... This is a touchy subject. Halo was the first console game that got it right, and nothing else has quite matched it in my opinion. I think that console shooters MUST have cursor acceleration in some form. Nothing is as frustrating as not being able to turn around fast enough to see someone attacking me from behind.

I've been playing the Resistance beta and have had a hard time in competitive multiplayer because the cursor doesn't accelerate. The controls areextremely precise, but the lack of acceleration makes quick turns pretty difficult. I like how SOCOM gives you the option to adjust the speed and acceleration separately.

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 p4ddym

When I have to adjust my view in the ironsights a couple centimeters to the left, it should be moving at the same speed as if I were to spin all the way around to the left.

Scianix-Black

That is one of the many problems with Far Cry 2. It is so hard to be accurate because the aiming feels so inconsistent.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Scianix-Black

Ugh... This is a touchy subject. Halo was the first console game that got it right, and nothing else has quite matched it in my opinion. I think that console shooters MUST have cursor acceleration in some form. Nothing is as frustrating as not being able to turn around fast enough to see someone attacking me from behind.

I've been playing the Resistance beta and have had a hard time in competitive multiplayer because the cursor doesn't accelerate. The controls areextremely precise, but the lack of acceleration makes quick turns pretty difficult. I like how SOCOM gives you the option to adjust the speed and acceleration separately.

babystapler

I can understand that, but if that's the case, then turn up the sensitivity.

Reticle acceleration really doesn't do anything and it isn't needed, so why does it exist?

If you absolutely needed to make that turn so quickly, wouldn't it make sense to have the reticle move as fast as you need it to as soon as you touch the analog stick?

Of course.

So, acceleration isn't needed because you'd just be spending a fraction of a second to get your reticle up to full speed, and by the time you're all the way turned around, you get shot.

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 p4ddym

babystapler

Turning around in an FPS has never really been a problem for me. Sure if there is some way of balancing it so that the only way it accelerates is when i need to turn around sharply. But i think it is more frustrating not being able to judge the acceleration. Look at CoD4. I think it got the aiming controls perfect and i dont have any problem turning around. I always just find the balance of sensitivity.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Scianix-Black

Bottomline: Crosshair acceleration isn't a good thing and it helps no one.

People who are used to it just don't notice, while the rest of us are stuck with trying to adapt to a horrible decision.

Silverdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Silverdragon17
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
I hate mouse acceleration on computers so I know I'll hate it on consoles.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
Yeah it kinda sucks.. although you get used to it fairly quickly...
bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

I hate mouse acceleration on computers so I know I'll hate it on consoles. Silverdragon17

Reminds me of my sisters Mac *Eye twitch* I hate that thing. I want it dead. I didnt seem to notice any whacky aiming in Warhawk though...

americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 americahellyeah

Scianix-Black
i must be used to it then.. i can headshot basically every guy i come across with a short burst in Far Cry 2 :P
p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 p4ddym
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

americahellyeah

i must be used to it then.. i can headshot basically every guy i come across with a short burst in Far Cry 2 :P

What is your sensitivity level?

americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 americahellyeah
[QUOTE="americahellyeah"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

p4ddym

What is your sensitivity level?

just above about 5/6ths of the way to maximum.. why does that matter?