For those who bought their PS3 at Best Buy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for scoobiesnackarf
scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 scoobiesnackarf
Member since 2005 • 1559 Posts
For those of you who have a 2 year warranty with Best Buy, be it for the PS3, is there a limited # of times you can exchange it for a new system if need be? I read on the warranty that it seems after the manufacturer warranty is up (1 year) that you can only use the Best Buy warranty for a new system 1 time. Is this true?

Alan
jonkirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 jonkirst
Member since 2005 • 3213 Posts

I'm pretty sure that is how it works.  After you "use" your replacement warranty then I think you have to buy another one if you want the new unit covered.

Avatar image for scoobiesnackarf
scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scoobiesnackarf
Member since 2005 • 1559 Posts
so then whats the point of having a 2 year warranty since the manufacturer's only last one year? Shouldn't we be covered for a nother year after that if we have the extended warranty? Alan
jonkirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 jonkirst
Member since 2005 • 3213 Posts
The extended warranty carries you one year after the manufacturer's warranty is gone.
nascar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 nascar1
Member since 2005 • 2763 Posts

NO...you should call your local BB and ask them?

i purchased the 2 yr. replacement plan with my PS3 and asked the very same question and they said it's NOT a one time only replacement service...atleast that's what i was told !

and hopefully i they won't have to replace any...

Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
Uh...No...With the 2 year warranty, if any product is malfunctioning, and the item is still under warranty, then you are able to exchange it as many times as needed.  I've had to do that with several items before.  However, the item has to still be under the warranty bought for it.  Now, as for the Product Replacement Plan, ie; as the one offered by places like GameStop...Those, I have no idea how they work.  But, Best Buy warranties are as I stated above.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="scoobiesnackarf"]For those of you who have a 2 year warranty with Best Buy, be it for the PS3, is there a limited # of times you can exchange it for a new system if need be? I read on the warranty that it seems after the manufacturer warranty is up (1 year) that you can only use the Best Buy warranty for a new system 1 time. Is this true?

Alan

That is how all warranties work. Next time read first.
Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

It's not a warranty at all, it's not even called or considered a warranty, it is called a PRP or Product Replacement Plan.  It's not meant to be a service contract or extended warranty, it's just like what EB or Gamestop offers, if the system fails, it's a one way ticket to a hassle free replacement, you can even just call and get a voucher for whatever the PRP is for, and it doesn't degrade in value.  Meaning, if you buy your PS3 today, and it fails 18 months from now, and the cost of the PS3 has dropped to say 500 bucks, your PRP still is worth the original 600, so you can exchange your PS3, get a brand new 60 gig for 500, get a brand new PRP for 70 or 80 or whatever, and walk out of the store with a 20 dollar gift card on top of that, all because of the PRP, so it does have it's advantages. 

I did that with my PS2, I bought one at launch, with a PRP, I had 2 failures and I made 2 up to get replacements, but I got 3 new systems, and PRPs, and 110 bucks in store credit when they went from 300 bucks to 180 several years ago, and I got a voucher for 150 bucks from my last one towards the PS3, and I never spent one dime after my original investment.  So if you know how to use them, people **** that they are a rip off, but PRPs are fantastic if you take advantage of them.  They never check either, so if you make up a believable problem, you can always just exchange it or get credit. 

Shu76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shu76
Member since 2006 • 913 Posts
I bought my 20 GB PS3 at Best Buy (last one left) and the cute girl at the counter was trying to sell me the warranty,I turned it down and my PS3 has been running like a top since!.Â