For How Much Longer Will The PS3 Live After Fixing The YLOD Problem Myself?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 RustedTruck650
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

Sorry for other posts in which i have expressed my frustration as a result of the stupid YLOD problem. Anyway i was thinkg about fixing the unit myself in order to save a few bucks, but one thing i havent seen is for how much longer will the system work after a repair? Are there some repairs that will make it function for a longer period of time?

FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

I've read people post anywhere from 3 months to 9 months depending on use. Maybe others might have longer luck.I would fix it, transfer/backup your data and start saving up for a new one.

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RustedTruck650

is it worth to take it to "play n trade" where they'll fix it for 160 or should i do it myself and hopefully not mess something up? And yes i will buy a new one when i can so i can transfer some Demons Soul data which is copy protected with the"data transfer utility" to the the new system. But now repairing it is the best thing, but i cant even afford that now.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Don't take it to play n trade. If anything just give it a quick fix, back up your data, and sell it while it is still working. It's a dick move, but whatever.
RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RustedTruck650

Don't take it to play n trade. If anything just give it a quick fix, back up your data, and sell it while it is still working. It's a dick move, but whatever.MethodManFTW
Thx for the advice but no thx. I just cant do that.

FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

is it worth to take it to "play n trade" where they'll fix it for 160 or should i do it myself and hopefully not mess something up? And yes i will buy a new one when i can so i can transfer some Demons Soul data which is copy protected with the"data transfer utility" to the the new system. But now repairing it is the best thing, but i cant even afford that now.

RustedTruck650

You can do it yourself. Its really not that hard. Buy the thermal paste and then watch a couple of youtube videos on it. Once you watch them a couple of times you should get it no problem.

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RustedTruck650

i think ill just resolve to that. So how much for the heat gun and the thermal compound?

smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 smsnsimba
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts

i think ill just resolve to that. So how much for the heat gun and the thermal compound?

RustedTruck650
Gun is about $20-$40, depending on the features and accessories you want. The thermal paste and lead free "no clean" flux run about $9 each.
RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RustedTruck650

lead free flux? what is that? i thought i only needed the gun and the thermal compound.

also i heard that doing something to the cooling fan makes things even better, but wat is it?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Don't take it to play n trade. If anything just give it a quick fix, back up your data, and sell it while it is still working. It's a dick move, but whatever.RustedTruck650

Thx for the advice but no thx. I just cant do that.

Fix it yourself and just ensure you keep it dustfree and well ventilated, if you keep it cool enough it should lanst a long time but it's a lot of care for it not to YLOD again...
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
If you do it like a professional would, then it should last you 2-3 years, or at least as long as you had it before it YLOD.
smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smsnsimba
If you do it like a professional would, then it should last you 2-3 years, or at least as long as you had it before it YLOD.jack00
Unfortunately the equipment to do it like a professional would(reballing) costs about as much as a PS3 anyway, and is very technique sensitive. You can probably get about 6-12 months using the above recommended items properly.
RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RustedTruck650

[QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

smsnsimba

Gun is about $20-$40, depending on the features and accessories you want. The thermal paste and lead free "no clean" flux run about $9 each.

im still confused as to what "lead fre reflux" is, i juststarted opening the thing:| :cry:so i want to be as clear as possible. As mentioned earlier i only thought i needed thermal compound and a heat gun.

smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 smsnsimba

[QUOTE="smsnsimba"][QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

RustedTruck650

im still confused as to what "lead fre reflux" is, i juststarted opening the thing:| :cry:so i want to be as clear as possible. As mentioned earlier i only thought i needed thermal compound and a heat gun.

There's some great guides online on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo) as to how to properly use the flux but If this is your first YLOD, flux isn't required. If you do use it, the repair will more than likely last longer. You want to use it prior to the thermal compound. See the link I provided and watch all his videos before doing anything. He talks about flux and a few other things(like bending brackets, etc.) He also has a PDF guide available that's free. You can buy all the supplies he talks about at Radioshack. Good luck to you. If you're just trying to get it running so you can back up your data and buy a new PS3 then you don't need it.
smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smsnsimba

PS3 fix on youtube---Here it is in link form.

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RustedTruck650

im gonna watch the one w/ the reflux thing...

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RustedTruck650

Alright i just took the whole thing apart and cleaned the gpu and cpu. Thought i had striped the blue screws head for sure, it gave me a good scare so after trying a few times i headed over to walgreens next door and got the right screw driver and finally did it.It took me like 2.5 hrs to dismantle everything bcuz i was being extrememly carefull and i even took the fan out of its base to dust off the blades with a rag. Tomorow ill get the compound at my work place and find a cheap heat gun somewhere. I just dont understand why is it that a fixed ylod systems will only last a few months, i mean if the only things that went wrong was the thermal compound then why cant it last a few xtra yrs if a new compound was re-applied?

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RustedTruck650

I was thinking what if i put a fan right next to the PS3s intake vent so in this way it might help the ps3 last a little longer for those of us who dont live in the north pole? No really that sounds like it might actually work, s you guys have any personal experiences?

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RustedTruck650

no fan....maybe...no..yes? i guess its not a good idea?!

smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 smsnsimba

no fan....maybe...no..yes? i guess its not a good idea?!

RustedTruck650
You don't need a fan. Overheating is not one the PS3's problems. It's the fact that the thermal compound gives out after a while and the components don't maintain an adequate conductive connection surface. If you do want to place a fan, make sure the air blows past the PS3 and not directly into the vent that way it pulls the heat out of the system rather than blowing the warm air back in.
erickb1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 erickb1983
Member since 2010 • 315 Posts

Sorry for other posts in which i have expressed my frustration as a result of the stupid YLOD problem. Anyway i was thinkg about fixing the unit myself in order to save a few bucks, but one thing i havent seen is for how much longer will the system work after a repair? Are there some repairs that will make it function for a longer period of time?

RustedTruck650

its toast

done

not gonna work

broken

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RustedTruck650

[QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

erickb1983

its toast

done

not gonna work

broken

WTF r u talking about justin beiber?

erickb1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 erickb1983
Member since 2010 • 315 Posts

[QUOTE="erickb1983"]

[QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

RustedTruck650

its toast

done

not gonna work

broken

its broken get a new one what else do you want me to say lol. what does YLOD stand for

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RustedTruck650

[QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

[QUOTE="erickb1983"]

its toast

done

not gonna work

broken

erickb1983

its broken get a new one what else do you want me to say lol. what does YLOD stand for

aint got no money...wish i did though..i really do

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RustedTruck650

YLOD ---->"You Lame Old Doodohead", You Landed On a D**k", (had to delete it myself bcuz gamespot wouldn't do it)...or the more comonly known meaning Yellow Light Of Death.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
It's been over a month since I stuffed the PS3's mobo in an oven and it worked fine up until recently when it suddenly shut off after 5 minutes. I was able to turn it back on though, no YLOD yet. If it does break again I'll just throw it out and buy a new one when they're $200 and hopefully not crap
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
[QUOTE="FIREKNIGHT19"]

[QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

You can do it yourself. Its really not that hard. Buy the thermal paste and then watch a couple of youtube videos on it. Once you watch them a couple of times you should get it no problem.

First thing, that is if that is the reason you have YLOD. It is a prompt for a few errors. It could be a corrupt HDD as well which is easy to test if you have one available. But back to the fixing topic, if you look at some of the guides on YouTube, some say dont spread the thermal paste. That is not correct thermal paste is suppose to cover the entire surface evenly, to create an even flow of heat from the processor to the heat sink.
smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 smsnsimba
It's been over a month since I stuffed the PS3's mobo in an oven and it worked fine up until recently when it suddenly shut off after 5 minutes. I was able to turn it back on though, no YLOD yet. If it does break again I'll just throw it out and buy a new one when they're $200 and hopefully not crapistuffedsunny
Lol. I've never heard of it being done that way but yeah, I guess it would work.
RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RustedTruck650

[QUOTE="FIREKNIGHT19"]

[QUOTE="RustedTruck650"]

wooooode

First thing, that is if that is the reason you have YLOD. It is a prompt for a few errors. It could be a corrupt HDD as well which is easy to test if you have one available. But back to the fixing topic, if you look at some of the guides on YouTube, some say dont spread the thermal paste. That is not correct thermal paste is suppose to cover the entire surface evenly, to create an even flow of heat from the processor to the heat sink.

Yeah woody ive been watching some youtube videos and that is the way i will go with, you know the past evenly spread out on the cpu anf gpu and hopefully thiswill fix the ylod.

RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RustedTruck650

YLOD ---->"You Lame Old Doodohead", You Landed On a D**k", (had to delete it myself bcuz gamespot wouldn't do it)...or the more comonly known meaning Yellow Light Of Death.

RustedTruck650

by the way justin beiber i was just joking ok....just in case u didnt get it:)

grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
i had ylod of death and had sony fix it. i guess its been about 2 years since then and i use it alot
grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
justin bieber doesnt know what hes talking about, if your car blew a tire would you get a new car? lol
RustedTruck650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RustedTruck650

justin bieber doesnt know what hes talking about, if your car blew a tire would you get a new car? lolgrand17
lol..thats not a right comparison of the situation.

smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 smsnsimba

How did the repair go rusted?