fixing to buy ps3, question about updates.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

penalsiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 penalsiren
Member since 2005 • 278 Posts
im buying a ps3 this weekend, and i used to have a 360 and the updates on the 360 are automatic. Are the updates for the ps3 automatic or is it manually done? Also, is it automatic for the games, like when you put the game in it says there is an update needed, is that the same for the ps3?
devincl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 devincl
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
you have to manually update it
Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
Games, however, update automatically when you try to play online I believe. At least that has been my experience with Resistance and Motorstorm. After downloading the update you need to restart the game (not the console itself). For system updates, on the XBM, go the system settings and at the very top it will say something like system update. Just do that, the latest update is 1.60 I think.
soundthealarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 soundthealarm
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts
the ps3 will let you know when the next update is available,then you just go to system update and download it, simple as that
penalsiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 penalsiren
Member since 2005 • 278 Posts
alright, cool, thanks for the info guys.
Avatar image for xcoregamerskill
xcoregamerskill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xcoregamerskill
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
since we're talking about updates, does anyone know how I can get an update I download onto my PC to transfer to my PS3. My ps3 right now is offline because I don't have internet access at my apartment, but I'm online here every week, so any answer would be nice.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

since we're talking about updates, does anyone know how I can get an update I download onto my PC to transfer to my PS3. My ps3 right now is offline because I don't have internet access at my apartment, but I'm online here every week, so any answer would be nice.xcoregamerskill

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/network/updates/pc_update.html#update_PC

This will help you out.

svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
transfer it over a usb-drive / mp3 player etc
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

since we're talking about updates, does anyone know how I can get an update I download onto my PC to transfer to my PS3. My ps3 right now is offline because I don't have internet access at my apartment, but I'm online here every week, so any answer would be nice.xcoregamerskill

Use either some type of USB storage device (flash drive, MP3 player, etc.) or use one of the card formats (SD, Compact Flash, Memory Duo) and transfer the update file from that.  You can download the update file, I believe, at the official PlayStation website.  I've never tried it myself, so I don't know how to access and run the file once you're on the PS3, but I'm fairly certain that's how it's supposed to work.