Final Fantasy main characters always look kinda girly?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

i love ff games and ff10 is my favourite game of all time. but i never understood why the main characters always look like girls. ff13 obviously being the exception cuz the main character is a girl. now that they released footage of ff13-2 and all that the main character dude also looks girly. same with the dude from versus 13. i mean they look cool and all and it doesnt bother me that much or anything but im just curious why its always like that. its not like they're not capable of making manly looking dudes. they've had many like Auron from ff10 and Basch and Balthierfrom ff12 to name a few. why do you think they always have girly dudes as main characters?

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

Thats just your personal view of them. If you grew up in japanese society, perhaps you would think of them otherwise. Its easy to forget that everyone lives around the world grows up in varying societies that change the way they view things and holds certain things more valuable than others. Its odd that here in America overly huge space marines that have no emotion other than anger is the norm for main characters.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#3 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan

^to the guy above me, they do look feminine, even if you grew up with it.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

^to the guy above me, they do look feminine, even if you grew up with it.

Zathic

But certainly not out of the ordinary. Everyone seems to make japanese characters as the odd man out, but had you grown up in japan then certainly it would be the norm.

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts

Certain features are considered appealing in Japanese culture. High cheekbones, narrow face, light skin tone and large eyes are an asset for both men and women. FF even uses Gackt as a reference for many characters (and he's the face-model for Genesis) because he's the 'hottest' guy in Japan... achieved by anorexia, insomnia and botox

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

And I assure you that if the main character looked like Sev or something similar it wouldn't sell nearly as well.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

In the newer ones, yes. From FFX - FF 13, it was like the main characters were gradually morphing into a full-fledged female. They weren't so feminine in some of the older ones, though. In FFVII, Cloud just looked like a punk rocker (though his newer depictions look more feminine than the original), Squall looked plenty masculine and Zidane just had moderately long hair.

pac1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pac1987
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

lol think its so they look more attractive

WhiteStormy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WhiteStormy
Member since 2007 • 243 Posts

The Japanese culture prefers feminine males in the lead rolls. The original protagonist of FFXII was going to be Basch, but they felt that he was too masculine, so we got Vaan shoehorned into the game as the "hero".

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#10 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

The Japanese culture prefers feminine males in the lead rolls. The original protagonist of FFXII was going to be Basch, but they felt that he was too masculine, so we got Vaan shoehorned into the game as the "hero".

WhiteStormy

Dang that would've been a way better choice waaaaaaaaaaaaay

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
It's a Japan thing. I don't like it, but I prefer it to the bald roid-raging freaks they got in Gears.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

Besides Vaan and how he dresses, how exactly do they look feminine? And who? Cloud? Why, cause he has no facial hair? He doesn't look like a girl to me. Tidus? Not at all to me. Who are you talking about.

Besdies Hope, who looks like he isn't even at puberty yet, but still he looks like a kid, not a girl.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#13 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

Besides Vaan and how he dresses, how exactly do they look feminine? And who? Cloud? Why, cause he has no facial hair? He doesn't look like a girl to me. Tidus? Not at all to me. Who are you talking about.

Besdies Hope, who looks like he isn't even at puberty yet, but still he looks like a kid, not a girl.

gotdangit

If cloud didn't look like a girl he wouldn't have crross dress to try to save Tifa.

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

It's pretty funny, actually. Whenever you see a big, buff, dude coming to fight you in a Final Fantasy game, they're usually a joke character. A skinny, pretty boy shows up? Prepare to get wiped out.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

They've always looked girly, but in XIII-2, good grief...I honestly could not tell if that was a guy or a girl.

I dunno, some weird Japanese thing I guess. I'm not terribly interested in knowing the specifics behind it. :?

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The art style of Final Fantasy is supposed to be that way. but until you mentioned it, I didn't pay attention to the charater design butYes the male characters are somewhat morefeminine.

But the Final fantasy games are not Gears of War which requires a more normal tough look for the Male characters. I guess that creaters of FF series wanted it this way for some reason?

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

It's pretty funny, actually. Whenever you see a big, buff, dude coming to fight you in a Final Fantasy game, they're usually a joke character. A skinny, pretty boy shows up? Prepare to get wiped out.

stizz-

HAHA. LOL. that is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. But yea, you're definately right.

To the TC, there's no doubt FF Male leads are feminine. I remember a forum post about a year ago about this same question. Supposedly, if the male characters looked like females then more girl gamers would play the game, therefore you get you typical guy gamer and a new audience in girls. IDK if true but i remembered that. But as another poster already said, it wouldn't look right if Sev/Cole/GeoW (all characters)/Shepard were in as lead characters. More masculine but definaltely not another bald headed marine.

The_Ronin129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Ronin129
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts

Thats just your personal view of them. If you grew up in japanese society, perhaps you would think of them otherwise. Its easy to forget that everyone lives around the world grows up in varying societies that change the way they view things and holds certain things more valuable than others. Its odd that here in America overly huge space marines that have no emotion other than anger is the norm for main characters.

tutt3r
And yet, Starcraft seems to sell so well over there... (I kid)
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Ah, I see you are new to Japanese games and/or anime.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

Skinny with no facial hair and medium length hair means feminine now?

WhiteStormy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WhiteStormy
Member since 2007 • 243 Posts

Skinny with no facial hair and medium length hair means feminine now?

gotdangit

Yes. Skinny, baby faced, long haired, whiney teenage, pretty boys = feminine. Granted Cloud wasn't a teenager, but he still fit the mold. The only time I've seen Square make a game with a manly main character was Vagrant Story, and even that one came dangerously close to being feminine. Ashley Riot was a little too "pretty" and he did have a girl's name.

Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts

I think JRPGs in general have feminine looking male main characters not just Final Fantasy, and often I noticed they wear clothes showing their bellies which just doesn't look right on males.

Some culture thing I guess but sometimes I wish they would look more masculine.