Final Fantasy 13 EB Games vs Bestbuy Price Difference

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by haseeb_1989 (1322 posts) -

I just went to preorder this game for some reason at ebgames its listed as $69.99 (all prices are in Canadian) and at bestbuy it is for $59.99. I asked the store cleric at eb about the price difference and he was not sure. Whats with these price differences? I mean this is not the first time this has happened to me. With modern warfare 2 I got it $10 cheaper at walmart(bestbuy had same price). Since ebgames is closer to my house I went with a flier and asked for a price difference they refused. Each time I go to this store their service seems to get worse and worse. Their prices are always higher. Now that other stores such as futureshop and rogers sell used games I go there as their prices are better. The only reason I used to go to ebgames was because of the preorder bonus but to be honest $10 plus tax difference is too big for me to even consider eb any more.

Anyways does anyone else know what is going on with the price difference between eb and all their competitors. Everyone except for eb is selling at the American price which is lower.

#2 Posted by Shidira (943 posts) -

I just went to preorder this game for some reason at ebgames its listed as $69.99 (all prices are in Canadian) and at bestbuy it is for $59.99. I asked the store cleric at eb about the price difference and he was not sure. Whats with these price differences? I mean this is not the first time this has happened to me. With modern warfare 2 I got it $10 cheaper at walmart(bestbuy had same price). Since ebgames is closer to my house I went with a flier and asked for a price difference they refused. Each time I go to this store their service seems to get worse and worse. Their prices are always higher. Now that other stores such as futureshop and rogers sell used games I go there as their prices are better. The only reason I used to go to ebgames was because of the preorder bonus but to be honest $10 plus tax difference is too big for me to even consider eb any more.

Anyways does anyone else know what is going on with the price difference between eb and all their competitors. Everyone except for eb is selling at the American price which is lower.

haseeb_1989

That's really interesting, I'm not sure why it's being sold that high. I live in the US, but I paid the $59.99 price at my local GameStop (ebgames). I used to work at a GameStop and to be honest, we weren't allowed to give people price differences, since the prices were set at the corporate level, so please don't take it out on the clerks, because if they did do that, they would be very likely to get fired or reprimanded heavily. I know that typically, Canadians pay a bit higher of a price for games just because of monetary value, but your situation seems to be weird. I would say just get your copy at BestBuy, then, and save a copy of the adds that state it was on sale for $59.99 for proof.

#3 Posted by haseeb_1989 (1322 posts) -

[QUOTE="haseeb_1989"]

Shidira

That's really interesting, I'm not sure why it's being sold that high. I live in the US, but I paid the $59.99 price at my local GameStop (ebgames). I used to work at a GameStop and to be honest, we weren't allowed to give people price differences, since the prices were set at the corporate level, so please don't take it out on the clerks, because if they did do that, they would be very likely to get fired or reprimanded heavily. I know that typically, Canadians pay a bit higher of a price for games just because of monetary value, but your situation seems to be weird. I would say just get your copy at BestBuy, then, and save a copy of the adds that state it was on sale for $59.99 for proof.

The thing is I have been noticing this for months. I got assassins creed 2 for $41 at bestbuy but again eb had it at regular price. For some reason the last couple of months best buy, futurehshop, and walmart are all selling games for $59.99 but not eb. Your rite about not taking it out on employees. I at one point worked at a gas station back in high school. So I had customer who yelled at me when their credit or debit card was rejected. As an employee I understand that I dont call the shots but still this whole price thing is really unfortunate. Ebgames is close to my house but if I want to go to other stores I actually have to drive pretty far. I can bare the inconvenience but just wanted to inform other Canadians to take their dollar to best buy instead.

#4 Posted by finalstar2007 (27863 posts) -

Thank you for the news, i thoguht FFXIII is going to be retailed at $69.99 everywhere.. i have already placed a pre-order on EBgames since its closer to my home but hearing Bestbuy or Wallmart will probably sell it for $59.99 is enough for me to cancel the one on EB and go for Wallmart.. i really hate EB's prices as well but their the only place i can buy used games from and because the store is close

#5 Posted by haseeb_1989 (1322 posts) -

For used games look into futureshop and rogers plus stores. Call then a head of time if your purchases are preplanned. I noticed that their used games stocks are becoming just as good as eb. They usually even offer better prices for used games than eb does.

#6 Posted by Shidira (943 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shidira"]

[QUOTE="haseeb_1989"]

haseeb_1989

The thing is I have been noticing this for months. I got assassins creed 2 for $41 at bestbuy but again eb had it at regular price. For some reason the last couple of months best buy, futurehshop, and walmart are all selling games for $59.99 but not eb. Your rite about not taking it out on employees. I at one point worked at a gas station back in high school. So I had customer who yelled at me when their credit or debit card was rejected. As an employee I understand that I dont call the shots but still this whole price thing is really unfortunate. Ebgames is close to my house but if I want to go to other stores I actually have to drive pretty far. I can bare the inconvenience but just wanted to inform other Canadians to take their dollar to best buy instead.

No, I completely agree with you. It's great that you're informing other Canadians of this, because honestly, it's a bunch of crap and it does make it inconvenient. As an American, I had no idea that was happening, and I'd be extremely angry as well. Thank you for the valuable information.

#7 Posted by haseeb_1989 (1322 posts) -

By the way MAG, white knight chronicles, uncharted 2, god of war 3 and gran turismo 5 are all at 59.99. Actually Wet is the only game at bestbuy that I noticed was above this price.

#8 Posted by Denji (12757 posts) -

I've been noticing a lot of price increases with EB/Gamestop lately. Even with used PS2 games FFS.

But I've always looked at Walmart (in the same mall) if I feel if the price is BS.

I don't think it's our rising dollar though. They've pushed a campaing so that our prices would match the Americans a couple of years ago and it's been fine for a little while. Until recently of coarse. Now some games are at the regular $59.99 price and some are $69.99. It's almost like to two tier pricing system now.

#9 Posted by haseeb_1989 (1322 posts) -

I've been noticing a lot of price increases with EB/Gamestop lately. Even with used PS2 games FFS.

But I've always looked at Walmart (in the same mall) if I feel if the price is BS.

I don't think it's our rising dollar though. They've pushed a campaing so that our prices would match the Americans a couple of years ago and it's been fine for a little while. Until recently of coarse. Now some games are at the regular $59.99 price and some are $69.99. It's almost like to two tier pricing system now.

Denji

With tax our prices are ridiculous. Almost $80 for 69.99 games. If I am not wrong werent games once $49.99?

#10 Posted by finalstar2007 (27863 posts) -

[QUOTE="Denji"]

haseeb_1989

With tax our prices are ridiculous. Almost $80 for 69.99 games. If I am not wrong werent games once $49.99?

Exactly, with tax your paying $80 for one game.. what makes me sad more is that in Feb 4 great games are coming and each is worth day 1 buy.. i'll start looking more into cheaper places, i'll start first wallmart.. by the way yeah all games that are made by Sony or Published by Sony reatail for $59.99

#11 Posted by JKnaperek (2023 posts) -
Gamestop continuously sucks all day everyday.
#12 Posted by haseeb_1989 (1322 posts) -

[QUOTE="haseeb_1989"]

[QUOTE="Denji"]

finalstar2007

Exactly, with tax your paying $80 for one game.. what makes me sad more is that in Feb 4 great games are coming and each is worth day 1 buy.. i'll start looking more into cheaper places, i'll start first wallmart.. by the way yeah all games that are made by Sony or Published by Sony reatail for $59.99

Most of the time walmart also has the 59.99 thing like bestbuy but if they dont at least you can get them to do a price match.

With this being said there are a few times where ebgames has nice deals but its mostly for older games. I mean the ones that retail for $29.99 sometimes they go for $19.99. But again as for newer games they suck.

#13 Posted by KrazyC18 (1535 posts) -
Well i live here in Canada, work at bestbuy, and that too gaming department, and i found that for most blockbuster titles we sell them for $59.99, and being an avid gamer myself i ask myself the same question you do, Why is it cheaper than most stores now? i remember around this time last year all new games were $69.99 with no exceptions, but now more and more stores, other than bestbuy are going back to $59.99... im sure though, eventually, all stores will go back to the regular price of $59.99, all it requires is time.
#14 Posted by Denji (12757 posts) -

Well i live here in Canada, work at bestbuy, and that too gaming department, and i found that for most blockbuster titles we sell them for $59.99, and being an avid gamer myself i ask myself the same question you do, Why is it cheaper than most stores now? i remember around this time last year all new games were $69.99 with no exceptions, KrazyC18

Yet (at the time), every other store was $59.99 including EB:|

#15 Posted by istuffedsunny (6989 posts) -
I don't see why you'd order it from GameStop anyway unless there's a nice bonus. So don't worry about it :)
#16 Posted by haseeb_1989 (1322 posts) -
I don't see why you'd order it from GameStop anyway unless there's a nice bonus. So don't worry about it :)istuffedsunny
To be honest though half of the time preorder bonuses are not even worth it. I was one of those gamers that used to collect them and get collectors edition with everything. But soon I realized that its not worth getting a bonus that I dont even use or look at.