Faulty laser on my 60gb ps3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cedmonds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cedmonds
Member since 2005 • 56 Posts

Last night my ps3 decided to die, it appears to be a faulty laser as it reads no disks what so ever.

From looking on the internet i see this is a known problem, and was wondering what sony will do? (in the uk) i am aware that in the us they can repair it for around $15, is this the same for the uk?

Fiorina161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fiorina161
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts
No no no my friend it's around 200$ to repair believe me the same thing happened to me a week ago.
weasel2788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 weasel2788
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yeah, Sony is definitely going to charge you more the $15.00. Mine went out two weeks ago and it cost me $168.00 (shipping charges included) to get it repaired. On a positive note though, the turn-around time was really quick. I got mine back in ten days from the day I sent it in.
danaustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 danaustin
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Hi guys,

This puts me off buying a PS3, at those prices anyway. I just have a PS2 at the mo, though considering getting a PS3 soon, haven't bought one as I haven't been playing much the past year.

On my Ps2 I used a repair guide to fix the laser, basically moving a dial backwards inside the console until it worked again, is there any way you can do the same thing with the PS3? I'll have to check online, see what a search comes up with, but I doubt it though unfortunately.

$168 is a lot of cash just to fix a laser, hopefully the price will come down, and I don't know why it costs only £60 to fix a PS2 laser and a lot more to fix a PS3 laser.

Anyway, just my thoughts,

Dan

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
In the UK you get a 2 year warranty ( I think). The same thing happened to me recently, it wouldn't read discs anymore. It was after 13 months of ownership, but Sony still replaced it for free.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts

Hi guys,

This puts me off buying a PS3, at those prices anyway. I just have a PS2 at the mo, though considering getting a PS3 soon, haven't bought one as I haven't been playing much the past year.

On my Ps2 I used a repair guide to fix the laser, basically moving a dial backwards inside the console until it worked again, is there any way you can do the same thing with the PS3? I'll have to check online, see what a search comes up with, but I doubt it though unfortunately.

$168 is a lot of cash just to fix a laser, hopefully the price will come down, and I don't know why it costs only £60 to fix a PS2 laser and a lot more to fix a PS3 laser.

Dan

danaustin
Those are the launch 60 gb models that are faulty not the newer 40 and 80 gb ones.But even i have a 60gb.Its two years old now and i havent got any problems yet but anyway the failure rate of a ps3 is 1-2% so dont worry.go get urself one.
Evildude683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Evildude683
Member since 2009 • 445 Posts
In the UK you get a 2 year warranty ( I think). The same thing happened to me recently, it wouldn't read discs anymore. It was after 13 months of ownership, but Sony still replaced it for free.Floppy_Jim
I wonder why Sony doesn't give the American customers the same warranty period that of those in the UK?...BIAS?
cedmonds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cedmonds
Member since 2005 • 56 Posts
I did mean 150$, missed a 0. I called sony tonight, they said to try a full format, if that didn't fix it they said they would repair it free of charge. (the console is about 15 months old, (in the UK).
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]In the UK you get a 2 year warranty ( I think). The same thing happened to me recently, it wouldn't read discs anymore. It was after 13 months of ownership, but Sony still replaced it for free.Evildude683
I wonder why Sony doesn't give the American customers the same warranty period that of those in the UK?...BIAS?

because 2 years in UK is equal to 1 year US time

Evildude683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evildude683

[QUOTE="Evildude683"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]In the UK you get a 2 year warranty ( I think). The same thing happened to me recently, it wouldn't read discs anymore. It was after 13 months of ownership, but Sony still replaced it for free.machiavell8x8

What!? LMAO:lol:
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Floppy_Jim
[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]

[QUOTE="Evildude683"]I wonder why Sony doesn't give the American customers the same warranty period that of those in the UK?...BIAS?Evildude683

He's right, you know. :)
weasel2788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weasel2788
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="danaustin"]

Hi guys,

Dan

conistant

Those are the launch 60 gb models that are faulty not the newer 40 and 80 gb ones.But even i have a 60gb.Its two years old now and i havent got any problems yet but anyway the failure rate of a ps3 is 1-2% so dont worry.go get urself one.

Actually, I've had two separate PS3 consoles crap out because of a faulty laser... and they were both the 40GB models. Luckily one of the consoles was still under warranty. The other was an Ebay purchase that I got screwed on (that'll teach me!) Still, I'd recommend anyone who may be thinking of purchasing a PS3 to get one. I kow that these failures are few and far between. I chalk up both of my console failures to just plain ol' bad luck on my part.

Evildude683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Evildude683
[QUOTE="Evildude683"][QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]

Floppy_Jim

Plzzz explain yourself....
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Floppy_Jim
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"][QUOTE="Evildude683"]What!? LMAO:lol:Evildude683

Nah, we're just kidding :P In Europe, I think there is a standard 2 year warranty for electronics or something.
Evildude683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Evildude683
[QUOTE="Evildude683"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"] He's right, you know. :)Floppy_Jim

Nah, we're just kidding :P In Europe, I think there is a standard 2 year warranty for electronics or something.

You don't know how funny is to read your post while looking at your sig....LMAO...:lol
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Floppy_Jim
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"][QUOTE="Evildude683"]Plzzz explain yourself....Evildude683

You don't know how funny is to read your post while looking at your sig....LMAO...:lol

Haha, thanks :P A lot of people like this sig.
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 machiavell8x8

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"][QUOTE="Evildude683"]What!? LMAO:lol:Evildude683

its kinda like how you can earn $20 in the US and go over to africa and buy a bag of diamonds with it. but since were dealing with time, it has to do with how americans tell time and how others use military time. us americans go to bed when the clock strikes 12:00

but to foreaners they are eating lunch at 12:00 and go to bed at 24:00!!!!!, so you see their days are twice as long as are's. hence twice the warrenty

Evildude683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Evildude683

[QUOTE="Evildude683"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"] He's right, you know. :)machiavell8x8

its kinda like how you can earn $20 in the US and go over to africa and buy a bag of diamonds with it. but since were dealing with time, it has to do with how americans tell time and how others use military time. us americans go to bed when the clock strikes 12:00

but to foreaners they are eating lunch at 12:00 and go to bed at 24:00!!!!!, so you see their days are twice as long as are's. hence twice the warrenty

Where are you from anyway?...
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 machiavell8x8
the land of hope, the land of change
Evildude683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Evildude683
the land of hope, the land of changemachiavell8x8
Oh don't tell me you're also buying that....
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 machiavell8x8
everyone bought it, every 150million dollars worth for just 1 day, which if he was really about change it would have went to the people on the streets begging for change, and thats not even counting all the money wasted on the campain, but i guess thats all for another thread
trxsleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trxsleeper
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
hi guys changed my laser last nite brand new one........ put the cd in and now its going beep beep beep and not letting me take the disc back out? before i was able to remove disc but now i can't? before and now its still not showing the icon whats going on lol any help would be great cheers! i'm hoping this will be simple to fix...
Fiorina161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fiorina161
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts
How did you get a new lens?
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#24 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
My warranty is 3 years, I live in Sweden and I have pay 499SEK more to get 3 years warranty. :P
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

Hi guys,

Dan

danaustin
then don't buy one.. we really don't car either way...
Gregoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gregoric
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
I got a special 2yr insurance thing with my PS3 from GAME..means if my PS3 breaks I can just get a replacement from the shop without having to give it back to Sony.