Everyone should Boycott buying Used games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolidSnake1810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidSnake1810
Member since 2005 • 192 Posts
And letting these scammers continue this modern day theft, Gamestop etc... giving about 18 dollars for a game that you paid $65 for, let me know what you guys think
Avatar image for NoFanboyzPlease
NoFanboyzPlease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NoFanboyzPlease
Member since 2007 • 266 Posts
That's why you should use ebay
waferlawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 waferlawrence
Member since 2008 • 138 Posts

For one, I'll never quit buying used games, in fact, 90% of my games were bought used.

For two, you have multiple options in selling games. Gamespot offers just one. There's craigslist, ebay, word of mouth.

For three, you're lucky there's anyone to rebuy those games at all. When you paid $65 dollars for it, you bought it to own it, right? Now you're getting money back. You don't buy a pizza and try to sell the box and the three fly-riden pieces left.

eregol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eregol
Member since 2006 • 416 Posts

It's similar to buying games second hand from someone in free ads to be honest.

But, I never buy used games. I always buy new as the quality of used games is questionable at times. But, I do not have a problem trading games in. Without wanting to sound up myself I always take care of my games and they are of basically brand new quality when I trade in.

Stupid really as this doesn't get me any more money for my trade in.

:-(

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
yea!! lets all stand in front of gamestop and protest!! yea!!
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
Even though I am not big on buying used games for myself, this is beneficial to a lot of people. I understand that you disagree having you games bought for $20 when you paid $65 but no one is forcing you to sell your games to gamestop for $20. You can sell you games for a decent amount on eBay or craigslist.
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
Ebay rocks for selling games, I dont lose much money at all buying then selling the game back on ebay once ive finished it
Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Prisoner1137
Member since 2008 • 1213 Posts

Even though I am not big on buying used games for myself, this is beneficial to a lot of people. I understand that you disagree having you games bought for $20 when you paid $65 but no one is forcing you to sell your games to gamestop for $20. You can sell you games for a decent amount on eBay or craigslist. GranReyUno

agreed my friend.

I buy used games on other place, NEVER would I buy from Gamestop. I'll pre-order there, but won't pick up a used game for myself. If it's for my son, yeah I'll get it cause he only plays PS2 and most of there games are dirt cheap.

For his games I go Gamecrazy or ebay.

TC should of been ALOT smarter.

pseudocaesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pseudocaesar
Member since 2008 • 494 Posts
All of my games apart from Assassins Creed, GTA, F.E.A.R (came with console) and MGS4 are second hand. Never had any problems, i just cant afford to pay full price all the time. I can get two (sometimes 3) games 2nd hand for the price of one brand new. Go figure.
LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LORDDICE1
Member since 2007 • 1263 Posts
heres a solution dont sell it! I buy used games all the time. once they get cheap enough that is. I never sell a game I buy. If I know its going to be a short game then I wait and buy it off gamefly for half price 2 months after its been out.
And letting these scammers continue this modern day theft, Gamestop etc... giving about 18 dollars for a game that you paid $65 for, let me know what you guys thinkSolidSnake1810
And letting these scammers continue this modern day theft, Gamestop etc... giving about 18 dollars for a game that you paid $65 for, let me know what you guys thinkSolidSnake1810
War_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 War_Martyr
Member since 2007 • 598 Posts
Seriously, why all the GameStop hate? Am I really the only one who's cool with the employees? lol. And I tend to like buying used games...I'd say my collection is a 50/50.
Carnikoid85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12 Carnikoid85
Member since 2005 • 534 Posts
I buy only new games because I'm not tradin them, i keep all of them as a collection, but if someone wants to trade his game, why he must be stopped?
Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Prisoner1137
Member since 2008 • 1213 Posts

Seriously, why all the GameStop hate? Am I really the only one who's cool with the employees? lol. And I tend to like buying used games...I'd say my collection is a 50/50. War_Martyr

Used games (brand new ones that just came out) become used around the price of $55.99

New games= $59.99

I don't hate Gamestop, but sometimes you'll get that ONE jerk that thinks he knows everything, when truthfully.....he doesn't.

mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

Consider this.

Where I live new games are around 110 dollars. I can find new game from some guys for around 70 dollars. The cheapest used games are around 30-40.

So I will not boycott anything. I will buy used.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
i don't mind, have found lots of old PS1 and PS2 clasics that I wasn't able to get when they were released.
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

[QUOTE="War_Martyr"]Seriously, why all the GameStop hate? Am I really the only one who's cool with the employees? lol. And I tend to like buying used games...I'd say my collection is a 50/50. Prisoner1137

Used games (brand new ones that just came out) become used around the price of $55.99

New games= $59.99

I don't hate Gamestop, but sometimes you'll get that ONE jerk that thinks he knows everything, when truthfully.....he doesn't.

I hear you on that one, Prisoner. Why go in there and pay $5 bucks less for a used game than a new one LOL. I dont even pre-order from them any more because they always would get the game 3-4 days after Best Buy. Also, Gamestop will rip you bad if you buy a game and dont like it. I bought Ferrari Challenge Trafeo Pirelli, hated it, and 3 days later Gamestop wanted to give me $20 bucks for it...20 BUCKS FOR A 3 DAY OLD GAME!!! The guy even remembered me buying it. LOL I got Uncharted used for around $40 from them a week before I got Ferrari Challenge, and traded it back in for around $20. That was a month ago. Funny...a year old game got the same trade in value as a brand new game at the time. I do buy used games from them for PSP. I usually wait a long time and get them at about 75% off. Ive never been able to bring myself to pay full price for games for the PS3s "wee little brother" lol
ZOnikJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZOnikJJ
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts
No. Used games is the only way to buy games that are out of print if they don't become a greatest hits title. Without the sale of used games, gamers would miss out on older games. It is true that used games don't help the game companies, and the price that GameStop charges for used games is often times outrageous, you have to realize that once it goes out of print, there is little other choice in the matter. Besides, if don't want to sell your games for that price, then don't. Keep it or eBay it.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I dont play buy/sell games anymore.... but Im more carefull about buying new games becuz I make sure only buy good games.
Avatar image for lions_rock_2008
lions_rock_2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lions_rock_2008
Member since 2005 • 1121 Posts
here is what im gona do, im gona play my games, and when i am done playing those games im gona want another game, so i will trade that gamme in and get the new game. yes its a shatty way to do it but i dont care, ebay will take to long and pawn shops give you less money. plus buying used games is something i do frequently so i am not on this ban-wagon
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
yea, but that's with every place of work---it still doesn't explain the hate.

[QUOTE="War_Martyr"]Seriously, why all the GameStop hate? Am I really the only one who's cool with the employees? lol. And I tend to like buying used games...I'd say my collection is a 50/50. Prisoner1137

New games= $59.99

Patch5129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Patch5129
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts

I dont understand all the Gamestop hate either. The only REAL problems I ever had with them are some clerks not knowing any information on a game they were promoting. I'm not demanding thier employees know everything about games, just dont promote something you have no idea about.

As for selling used games to them. You ever think that maybe they just dont want the games you have? You walk in there, and they got like 15 used copies of Madden 08 on the shelf, of course they are going to only offer 5 bucks for your copy. I am pretty sure by thier corporate rules they have to buy the games that are offered, within some guidelines. but the one thing you all need to remember, the want to make a PROFIT on what they sell. So if they buy my used copy of whatever for 7 bucks, turn arround and try to sell it for 15.99, more power to them.

Same with movies and cars, any car Salesman, or one that is no longer a salesman, will tell you that when someone buys a brand new car, the second it leaves the lot, the value decreases. Why? cause its no longer brand new, no matter the condition.

Movies? I have worked in a movie rental place before, we had this program where we said we would buy used movies, mainly for the intention of filling in the older libraries of titles. Many times somone would want to sell a movie to the store, that we already have 5-8 copies of, and that paticualr movie doesnt rent all the often, sure we're only going to offer 2-5 bucks for it. Because honestly, we didnt really owe them anything.

Of course if it was an older, harder to find movie, I've seen the store offer the guy 15 for it.

Quality and Quanity.

At the end of the day, I wont boycott Gamestop, I will continue to preorder from them, and, when I need to, buy used games.

ZOnikJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZOnikJJ
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts
here is what im gona do, im gona play my games, and when i am done playing those games im gona want another game, so i will trade that gamme in and get the new game. yes its a shatty way to do it but i dont care, ebay will take to long and pawn shops give you less money. plus buying used games is something i do frequently so i am not on this ban-wagonlions_rock_2008
You might as well just use gamefly if you're going to continually trade in your games. and btw... GameStop is a pawnshop.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I agree. I wonder if these are the same people who go up in arms when they buy a 'used car' or anything else that's used and they feel like they're ripped off. :) Feel free to boycott Gamestop, but at the end of their fiscal year, I guarantee that they'll make just as much money as last year, if not better.

I dont understand all the Gamestop hate either. The only REAL problems I ever had with them are some clerks not knowing any information on a game they were promoting. I'm not demanding thier employees know everything about games, just dont promote something you have no idea about.

As for selling used games to them. You ever think that maybe they just dont want the games you have? You walk in there, and they got like 15 used copies of Madden 08 on the shelf, of course they are going to only offer 5 bucks for your copy. I am pretty sure by thier corporate rules they have to buy the games that are offered, within some guidelines. but the one thing you all need to remember, the want to make a PROFIT on what they sell. So if they buy my used copy of whatever for 7 bucks, turn arround and try to sell it for 15.99, more power to them.

Same with movies and cars, any car Salesman, or one that is no longer a salesman, will tell you that when someone buys a brand new car, the second it leaves the lot, the value decreases. Why? cause its no longer brand new, no matter the condition.

Movies? I have worked in a movie rental place before, we had this program where we said we would buy used movies, mainly for the intention of filling in the older libraries of titles. Many times somone would want to sell a movie to the store, that we already have 5-8 copies of, and that paticualr movie doesnt rent all the often, sure we're only going to offer 2-5 bucks for it. Because honestly, we didnt really owe them anything.

Of course if it was an older, harder to find movie, I've seen the store offer the guy 15 for it.

Quality and Quanity.

At the end of the day, I wont boycott Gamestop, I will continue to preorder from them, and, when I need to, buy used games.

Patch5129