EA's taint ruined Bioware and now it's doing the same to Insomniac!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by porkchopxp (1181 posts) -

Sorry, couldn't resist an EA cheap shot. Real or perceived, selling a fruitful developement studio to a giant publisher seems to kill off the family "we're in this together" atmosphere, which definitely ruins the . Shame, Sony should have bought Insomniac before EA stepped in. Looks like Insomniac's 1st multi-platform effort is less than their usual good standards :(

#2 Posted by gamenerd15 (4529 posts) -

I do not really see how EA did anything.  People have been complaining about Insomniac since All 4 one.  People are not going to stop until Insomniac makes a singleplayer cartoony adventure game again.  People think that Overstirke would have been a better game despite there being no gameplay of the original title at all.  People claim that Fuse looks generic, but didn't Overstrike seem like Ratchet and Clank with spy weapons?  If Overstrike would have come out, people would have just called it a poor man's Ratchet and Clank.  I do not think EA runied anything.  Insomniac has been trying to push multiplayer Co-op since Resistance 2.  Having co-op beyond two players is very difficult.  I have not played Fuse, so I cannot say anything about it.  It does seem reviewers are being too harsh on the singleplayer portion of the game.  Fuse is supposed to be played with multiple people, so I do not really see the story not being up to snuff with other games that much of downer.  The story could not have been told through cutscenes due to the multiplayer centric nature of the title.  To be honet, people did not give the game a chance once it went from Overstrike to Fuse.  People want Insomniac to make the same thing over and over again.  Insomniac wants to do more than make Ratchet and Clank.  I love the series, but I can see where the company is coming from.  The studio has made nine games between PS2 and PS3.   

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#3 Posted by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

Thats bs. EA only published the game through EA partners. It had almost nothing to do with the development process. Insomniac was overrated only because of R&C and Spyro series, wich, imho, arent even that good to begin with. They are an average developer, thats why Sony never bought them. They saw their mediocrity

#4 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -

Thats bs. EA only published the game through EA partners. It had almost nothing to do with the development process. Insomniac was overrated only because of R&C and Spyro series, wich, imho, arent even that good to begin with. They are an average developer, thats why Sony never bought them. They saw their mediocrity

Vatusus
Publishers always have some say in how the game turns out. They have their name on the box too and always have some input.. usually it ends up with deadlines and pushing a game out before its ready.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
#5 Posted by deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6 (6176 posts) -

EA has been churning out a lot generic crap lately.  FUSE is no exception.

#6 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

The head games guy at EA said he hasn't given the go-ahead for any game without multiplayer in over a year.  Looking at IGN's review, the very first thing they say is that you're punished if you try to play it single player.

#7 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

I do not really see how EA did anything.  People have been complaining about Insomniac since All 4 one.  People are not going to stop until Insomniac makes a singleplayer cartoony adventure game again.  People think that Overstirke would have been a better game despite there being no gameplay of the original title at all.  People claim that Fuse looks generic, but didn't Overstrike seem like Ratchet and Clank with spy weapons?  If Overstrike would have come out, people would have just called it a poor man's Ratchet and Clank.  I do not think EA runied anything.  Insomniac has been trying to push multiplayer Co-op since Resistance 2.  Having co-op beyond two players is very difficult.  I have not played Fuse, so I cannot say anything about it.  It does seem reviewers are being too harsh on the singleplayer portion of the game.  Fuse is supposed to be played with multiple people, so I do not really see the story not being up to snuff with other games that much of downer.  The story could not have been told through cutscenes due to the multiplayer centric nature of the title.  To be honet, people did not give the game a chance once it went from Overstrike to Fuse.  People want Insomniac to make the same thing over and over again.  Insomniac wants to do more than make Ratchet and Clank.  I love the series, but I can see where the company is coming from.  The studio has made nine games between PS2 and PS3.   

gamenerd15

Agreed. People have been whining about EA ruining Fuse after it made its palette swap from Overstrike. But we never saw gameplay for Overstrike, only one little trailer. Who's to say it wouldn't have turned out the exact same way as Fuse, just with cartoony character models?

#8 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -
Sony didnt own Insomniac, they were free to do whatever they wanted. EA didnt do anything, Insomniac came to them, EA said ok.
#9 Posted by MethodManFTW (26516 posts) -
I'd say Insomniac is going a fine job of that themselves lately.
#10 Posted by blaze_adeel (933 posts) -

Crossel777
totally agree. EA ruined Army of Two, Dead Space, Crysis, MoH
#11 Posted by gamenerd15 (4529 posts) -

There is timed trial for Fuse on PSN for PS Plus members.  I think that people should actually try the game for themselves. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#12 Posted by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

There is timed trial for Fuse on PSN for PS Plus members.  I think that people should actually try the game for themselves. 

gamenerd15

Played the demo. Was enough for me. Generic cr4p

#13 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -
or insomniac could just be a one trick pony... and they need to stick with their usual game genres rather than doing shooters....
#14 Posted by Geminon (1177 posts) -
[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

blaze_adeel
totally agree. EA ruined Army of Two, Dead Space, Crysis, MoH

dead space was associated with EA from the very beginning.... so clearly they didnt ruin anything. army of two was mediocre from the first game, so you can blame the devs for just not being that talented.... crysis has always just been a tech demo.... sooooo MOH hasnt been relevant in 15 years.... you are kind of a dumbass huh?
#15 Posted by MethodManFTW (26516 posts) -
As someone who doesn't really like any of the Dead Space games but can see and understand why people are really into them, it is pretty easy to see how EA could of been a detriment to the series of games. 2010's Medal of Honor was awesome.. The MP was pretty bad but I really really enjoyed the campaign. I've owned Warfighter for awhile now but haven't got passed the first few hours.. Really like that first racing sequence though.
#16 Posted by wwefanforlife (3248 posts) -

I haven't played the demo to Fuse and I probably won't as it's an FPS game.  As for Insomniac I think Insomniac have been coming out with poor games lately which are the Ratchet & Clank games as I do love the Future series as for All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault/Q-Force those 2 games are garbage.  I really don't like seeing multiplayer getting pushed into every game and games like the Ratchet & Clank games should be single player.

#17 Posted by firefox59 (4530 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

Rattlesnake_8
Publishers always have some say in how the game turns out. They have their name on the box too and always have some input.. usually it ends up with deadlines and pushing a game out before its ready.

That isn't the case here. This is just people bashing EA at of ignorance like always. Insomniac wasn't rushed, they actually had time to make adjustments and change things and that what led to Overstrike becoming Fuse. If EA had pushed a deadline funny enough, we probably would have gotten something much closer to the '12 E3 demo. Plus, there are multiple sources within Insomniac claiming that EA wasn't involved at all. They owe EA nothing, it was their decision. As a general thought and not a direct address to whom I am quoting, it's ridiculous that so many people are hating on this game just because of a change in art style. All of the abilities and gameplay is the same. The game still has new ideas and concepts. To say a game went from a 'must buy' to a 'complete pass' just because of a tweak in the visuals is plain dumb and you gamers should feel embarrassed about it.
#18 Posted by BLBxLakers24 (1716 posts) -
the EA hate is comical sometimes, Activision is far worse imo.
#19 Posted by YoshiYogurt (6008 posts) -
lol insomniac. The company that made spyro and then left him to die...
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
#20 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -
Maybe Fuse is just a bad game because Insomniac made a bland, generic, garbage shooter like everyone else
#21 Posted by Soilworkcob (626 posts) -

Vatusus

^^^^^ Been saying that too. Insomniac is pretty mediocre.

#22 Posted by svaubel (4138 posts) -

It depends on the game. I had a friend recently ask me about the R&C series, and the simplest answer was that A Crack in Time was the last good one.

Really hope that Insomniac isnt under the EA umbrella of generic crap now. They were one of my favorite dev houses.

#23 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
HAHA EA'S TAINT. Ahem. Yeah it looks focus tested to hell and looks worse for it. Had it been the Pixar-like shooter, I'd be interested.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#24 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9201 posts) -
Insomniac is still independant. EA just published Fuse(which Insomniac finally owns their own IP, like this one will do them any good lol).
#25 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25855 posts) -
I think Sony did try to acquire them but Insomniac wanted to remain independant. Don't be surprised if they come crawling back for another Ratchet & Clank in 2015 though. They now have 3 teams in total.
#26 Posted by Coolyfett (6055 posts) -

the EA hate is comical sometimes, Activision is far worse imo. BLBxLakers24
Its warrented sometimes though. People just dont like big corporations.