DVI-D connection?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Thomas-Crown (30371 posts) -

My PC monitor has DVI-D input connection... is that compatible with the PS3?

Thanks in advance.

:D

#2 Posted by Thomas-Crown (30371 posts) -

Anyone?

:(

#3 Posted by Killer_Cyborg (2814 posts) -
We can't say by the connection if it is compatible or not. Check if it has HDCP.
#4 Posted by hazuki (3959 posts) -
Since its dvi-D, it probably can be used since its digital. Now if its not hdcp compatible, later down the line you probably can't play some blu-ray movies, but it should work on all ps3 games and menues. 
#5 Posted by andrewwg94 (1107 posts) -
Since its dvi-D, it probably can be used since its digital. Now if its not hdcp compatible, later down the line you probably can't play some blu-ray movies, but it should work on all ps3 games and menues. hazuki
i use dvi to hdmi connection too, yep it will work.
#6 Posted by Miguel16 (6065 posts) -
Since its dvi-D, it probably can be used since its digital. Now if its not hdcp compatible, later down the line you probably can't play some blu-ray movies, but it should work on all ps3 games and menues. hazuki
negative...if its not hdcp compliant you cannot use it ever on that monitor...not for games not even to look at the xmb...you cannot use it at all
#7 Posted by Thomas-Crown (30371 posts) -

[QUOTE="hazuki"]Since its dvi-D, it probably can be used since its digital. Now if its not hdcp compatible, later down the line you probably can't play some blu-ray movies, but it should work on all ps3 games and menues. Miguel16
negative...if its not hdcp compliant you cannot use it ever on that monitor...not for games not even to look at the xmb...you cannot use it at all

How do I find out if my DVI-D connection is HDCP compliant?

Is there a site where I could get that kind of information?

:P

#8 Posted by Killer_Cyborg (2814 posts) -

[QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="hazuki"]Since its dvi-D, it probably can be used since its digital. Now if its not hdcp compatible, later down the line you probably can't play some blu-ray movies, but it should work on all ps3 games and menues. Thomas-Crown

Search the for the specifications of your monitor.
#9 Posted by LiquidMetal14 (8196 posts) -

[QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="hazuki"]Since its dvi-D, it probably can be used since its digital. Now if its not hdcp compatible, later down the line you probably can't play some blu-ray movies, but it should work on all ps3 games and menues. Thomas-Crown

My Gateway 22" LCD says it on the box and the stickers on the front...... DVI-D with HDCP input.
#10 Posted by Thomas-Crown (30371 posts) -

My monitor is a Sony TFT LCD monitor. SDM-E76D. It appears one web-site said is HDCP supported. But on the Menu and the box, it doesn't say anything about that.

My friend told me that back then, it wasn't an issue so they probably didn't write it down. Which worries me.

#11 Posted by Miguel16 (6065 posts) -
hmmm well hes right....mainly since its a pc monitor back then it wasnt important but now it is because the digital inputs are being put to use....and after looking at the product page i do not believe its hdcp...that plus the fact its a 17 inch and the only company i know with hdcp compliant monitors under 20 inches is samsung with the syncmaster series and their 941bw/940bw monitors which are 19 inch

My monitor is a Sony TFT LCD monitor. SDM-E76D. It appears one web-site said is HDCP supported. But on the Menu and the box, it doesn't say anything about that.

My friend told me that back then, it wasn't an issue so they probably didn't write it down. Which worries me.

Thomas-Crown
#12 Posted by rahzel54 (1732 posts) -
few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.
#13 Posted by Miguel16 (6065 posts) -
few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.rahzel54
misinformation man...hdcp applies to EVERYTHING
#14 Posted by rahzel54 (1732 posts) -
[QUOTE="rahzel54"]few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.Miguel16

not quite, however i did make a mistake (as i typed that at 5am). there is NO HDCP in games, only blu-ray movies. a component connection will play ANY PS3 game fine. however, some blu-ray movies will require HDCP compliant connection (DVI and/or HDMI). i'm not sure if an HDCP compliant set will be required for games, as i know for a fact that ps3 games do not have HDCP.
#15 Posted by Thomas-Crown (30371 posts) -

[QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="rahzel54"]few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.rahzel54

not quite, however i did make a mistake (as i typed that at 5am). there is NO HDCP in games, only blu-ray movies. a component connection will play ANY PS3 game fine. however, some blu-ray movies will require HDCP compliant connection (DVI and/or HDMI).

So... if my DVI is not HDCP compliant, would it still be able to connect to my ps3 and play the games?

#16 Posted by rahzel54 (1732 posts) -
i'm not quite sure. i know for a fact that PS3 games do not have HDCP. however, it may be required to get a signal at all. 1:1 pixel mapping is another issue you may need to be worried about.
#17 Posted by Thomas-Crown (30371 posts) -

i'm not quite sure. i know for a fact that PS3 games do not have HDCP. however, it may be required to get a signal at all. 1:1 pixel mapping is another issue you may need to be worried about.rahzel54

How do I found out if my Monitor is 1:1 pixel mapping?

It is the Resolution?

#18 Posted by LoboSolo (1136 posts) -
Get an HDMI to DVI cable and try it. It'll work or not, and if not return the cable.
#19 Posted by Killer_Cyborg (2814 posts) -
[QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="rahzel54"]few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.rahzel54

not quite, however i did make a mistake (as i typed that at 5am). there is NO HDCP in games, only blu-ray movies. a component connection will play ANY PS3 game fine. however, some blu-ray movies will require HDCP compliant connection (DVI and/or HDMI). i'm not sure if an HDCP compliant set will be required for games, as i know for a fact that ps3 games do not have HDCP.

An HDCP compliant set is required for everything if you want to connect via HDMI on the PS3

[QUOTE="Playstation 3 manual"]If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/video.html

#20 Posted by rahzel54 (1732 posts) -

[QUOTE="rahzel54"]i'm not quite sure. i know for a fact that PS3 games do not have HDCP. however, it may be required to get a signal at all. 1:1 pixel mapping is another issue you may need to be worried about.Thomas-Crown

How do I found out if my Monitor is 1:1 pixel mapping?

It is the Resolution?

its a fairly hard spec to find because most PC monitors don't have it as they're mainly used as PC monitors where 1:1 pixel mapping is not really necessary. frankly, theres a very good chance it will not work with your monitor either way. i think if you use a digital connection, HDCP is required to get a signal, even if the content is not HDCP protected. if that works, i really doubt your monitor has 1:1 pixel mapping.
#21 Posted by rahzel54 (1732 posts) -
[QUOTE="rahzel54"][QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="rahzel54"]few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.Killer_Cyborg

An HDCP compliant set is required for everything if you want to connect via HDMI on the PS3

[QUOTE="Playstation 3 manual"]If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/video.html

yeah, thats what i thought. even if games are not protected (which they're not) an HDCP compliant display is required when using a digital connection. an analog connection will work with games just fine, though.
#23 Posted by Miguel16 (6065 posts) -

sorry YOU ARE WRONG...hdcp has nothing to do with the games or the movies...it has to do with the digital connection if used...it is sent through the hdmi cable used...to use hdmi the maker(sony) must agree to the hdcp protocols used...this they did with the ps3...because of this the user must have an hdcp compliant hdmi/dvi connection what you are doing is confusing hdcp for ict...they are two completely different things...hdcp has to do with the connection while ict has to do with bluray movies where if the connection used is not digital, it is downsampled to 480
#24 Posted by rahzel54 (1732 posts) -
[QUOTE="rahzel54"][QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="rahzel54"]few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.Miguel16

sorry YOU ARE WRONG...hdcp has nothing to do with the games or the movies...it has to do with the digital connection if used...it is sent through the hdmi cable used...to use hdmi the maker(sony) must agree to the hdcp protocols used...this they did with the ps3...because of this the user must have an hdcp compliant hdmi/dvi connection what you are doing is confusing hdcp for ict...they are two completely different things...hdcp has to do with the connection while ict has to do with bluray movies where if the connection used is not digital, it is downsampled to 480

calm the f*** down buddy. read my later posts as i have corrected myself.
#25 Posted by Miguel16 (6065 posts) -
[QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="rahzel54"][QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="rahzel54"]few things you need to look for. 1. if its HDCP complaint. and 2. if it has 1:1 pixel mapping. HDCP only applies to blu-ray movies, not games. 1:1 pixel mapping is needed to keep the aspect ratio of the game/movie. if there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, the image will be stretched to fill the screen.rahzel54

calm the f*** down buddy. read my later posts as i have corrected myself.

ay man im calm though my bad for not reading the other responses before replying...really didnt see it
#26 Posted by rahzel54 (1732 posts) -
its ok. thanks for the info though. i was a little unsure of that.