Dualshock 3 is horrid, how can you play normally?

wallacom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 wallacom
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts

First off, After decades of being a PC gamer, I bought my first consoles ever, the PS4 an X1, and I love it. The problem is I wanted to play GTA V, so I borrowed my friends PS3, and it ruined my experience with GTA. the controller is so tiny like it meant to be played by 10 year old kids. The R2/L2 are slippery, and the feedback feel awful the thumb joysticks are so closed together is annoying. Maybe my hands are too big or maybe I got spoiled by the DS4/X1 controller, but even the 360 controller feels more solid.

Is there a way to connect DS4 to PS3?

Or any good third party controllers for PS3 ?

P.S. I know it sounds like a rant, but I was really waiting to play GTA V, and the DS3 just killed it.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I have a powerA tournament controller. It's exactly like a 360 controller I loved it. Only comes wired though. I too hated the DS3.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i had the same problem, unfortunately there aren't any third party controllers, that i found to be useful... i used to play with wireless logitech controllers on ps2 (with a dongle), however they only had wired ones for ps3, so i got used to playing with the ds3... :(

rgallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rgallard
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

I had to buy clip on triggers for the r2/l2 buttons, and grips for the thumb sticks. This is probably your cheapest option to make the most out of the ds3.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well PS3 games are loved for the story and cutscenes so naturally the controller reflects that.... :p

I'm just yanking your chain !

Anyway yeah I don't like the feel of it at all..... I'd actually rather use a Keyboard than deal with the Convex analogues and Triggers.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I use my PS4 controller when playing PS3 games. Feels better. I used a PS3 controller a few weeks ago and it felt unnatural and tiny.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Never bothered me, but yeah, just buy a third party controller then.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#8 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@rgallard said:

I had to buy clip on triggers for the r2/l2 buttons, and grips for the thumb sticks. This is probably your cheapest option to make the most out of the ds3.

I have those on my controller along with a grip. The size has never been a problem for me, but I imagine it would feel weird if you're used to a bigger controller. That's one thing that kind of worries me when I upgrade to a PS4.

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

@wallacom said:

First off, After decades of being a PC gamer, I bought my first consoles ever, the PS4 an X1, and I love it. The problem is I wanted to play GTA V, so I borrowed my friends PS3, and it ruined my experience with GTA. the controller is so tiny like it meant to be played by 10 year old kids. The R2/L2 are slippery, and the feedback feel awful the thumb joysticks are so closed together is annoying. Maybe my hands are too big or maybe I got spoiled by the DS4/X1 controller, but even the 360 controller feels more solid.

Is there a way to connect DS4 to PS3?

Or any good third party controllers for PS3 ?

P.S. I know it sounds like a rant, but I was really waiting to play GTA V, and the DS3 just killed it.

Plug your DS4 into your ps3, this will work for the majority of games, however some are not supported.

wallacom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By wallacom
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

@rgallard said:

I have those on my controller along with a grip. The size has never been a problem for me, but I imagine it would feel weird if you're used to a bigger controller. That's one thing that kind of worries me when I upgrade to a PS4.

Thanks man. Very helpful. Found these for $6 on Amazon will be here Friday.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@wallacom: Yep, those are the exact ones I have. The caps slip off occasionally, but have a nice feel to them. The triggers are great compared to a different set I've used. I don't think I've ever had those fall off during play, and they're easy to put on and off.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@rgallard said:

Yeah this is what I did. The clip-on triggers are a big help.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Did Somebody Say Strap-on ? :)

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes there is an after market Controller converter for Xbox 360 to Playstation 3 controllers. It is a USB dongle that will allow Xbox 360 controller to play on a PS3 console and vice versa. But you have to use the controllers charging cables in. Which defeats the purpose of wireless controllers. These didn't sell very well and were discontinued.

Other 3rd parties made Xbox 360 shaped controllers for use with the PS3 console. I never used these controllers as I always enjoyed the DualShock 3 controller. Which had changed very little since the Dualshock was introduced in 1997.

The Dualshock 4 will work on a PS3 in a limited fashion. The Dualshock 4 has a bit of a difference in form factor. It is more like the Xbox 360 in the controller thickness of the handles which you may like better than Dualshock 3. The share button and the touchpanel will not work.

So there are some options for Xbox 360 controls on a PS3.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Never bothered me until I got a PS4 and used the DS4, honestly tried to play my mate at Fifa at his using his DS3 and my god you just don't realize how bad of a controller it is, but even tho i'm a ps fan I'm still a massive fan of the 360 and even the X1 controller more.

cameroncr95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 cameroncr95
Member since 2014 • 41 Posts

I had an afterglow wireless controller. Very nice feeling and its designed like a 360 controller. The only downfall, is that the controller uses a dongle and is not actually blutooth, and has poor range. Sitting about 5 feet from the console under a blanket the controller would tend to lose signal.

However, play with the controller in clear view of the dongle and it will be fine. I only did that in the winter because my hands were freezing.