Dualshock 3 analog stick problems!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by n_anirudh18 (25 posts) -

Well i just bought my ps3 slim 250gb (God Of War 3 bundle) about a month ago and my left analog stick is totally beginning to wear out!

There's a circular depression on the stick (which is occuring due to constant brushing of the stick on the sides I suppose..) and it's continously deepening over time.

There's also some powder near the stick base indicating constant wear of the controller.

Is this a common problem with all ya' DS3 users or is this a manufacturing defect with my controller?!

Please help me as soon as possible. Thanks:)

#2 Posted by MasterKingMP (1740 posts) -

I've never had a problem with my PS3 controllers. You might just have gotten a bad controller. You can either try to unscrew it and fix it yourself, or buy a new one.

#3 Posted by hxczuner (2672 posts) -

Well i just bought my ps3 slim 250gb (God Of War 3 bundle) about a month ago and my left analog stick is totally beginning to wear out!

There's a circular depression on the stick (which is occuring due to constant brushing of the stick on the sides I suppose..) and it's continously deepening over time.

There's also some powder near the stick base indicating constant wear of the controller.

Is this a common problem with all ya' DS3 users or is this a manufacturing defect with my controller?!

n_anirudh18
I know there are a lot of stick spinning qte's in GoW but bro, what the hell are you doing?
#4 Posted by superiorNilly (547 posts) -

Never heard of that happening, ive had my DS3 for a while now and its still in excellend condition. I dont know, maybe your putting to much pressure on your analog sticks :P.

#5 Posted by azzezino (4570 posts) -
On my DS3 the L3 button is not working as it once did. It's hit or miss now a days. Is there a way to fix this?
#6 Posted by Bow-T_88 (1544 posts) -
hey i have this problem too. Mine is deepening more and has a lil hole like a chunk inside is broken out, are these controllers rubber or some crap, because I just bought a blue dual shock and it has this problem. 360 controller is the best , even tho i dont even own a 360
#7 Posted by NatsumeKonno (350 posts) -

I have 2 DS3 controllers they dont have that problem. I even have FPS freek on my joystick.

#8 Posted by robmonga2 (1193 posts) -
Ok couple things 1. the sticks deepen naturally after a while, so it's nothing to be concerned about. 2. the crap under the stick isn't wear, it's your dead skin cells 3. if you play a lot of FPS games where L3 is run, stop, you're controller will be completely worn. If you don't want to stop, then I'd advise getting another controller, so you have one worn one for FPS games and a good one for games that don't need run ie GOW.
#9 Posted by AgentZero225 (1718 posts) -

n_anirudh18
I have the same problem. But mine is a result of playing MW2 for 26 days of play time. Its only the natural wear and tear of the controller from long term use. Nothing to worry about.
#10 Posted by hawk549 (1220 posts) -

Yes, as agentzero said, it is normal wear and tear. I baby everything i own, including my DS3's, and they still wear in the exact same spot you mentioned. Nothing to sweat. The people saying it did not happen to them just did not even bother to look or notice.

#11 Posted by Tony2519 (752 posts) -
ive got stick problems....but mines because of pressing L3 and R3 a lot
#12 Posted by n_anirudh18 (25 posts) -

Yeah..even I try my best to keep it in mint condition...nothing of the sort happened to my DS2 though. DS3's sticks feel more loose and wiggly!

#13 Posted by n_anirudh18 (25 posts) -

Yes, as agentzero said, it is normal wear and tear. I baby everything i own, including my DS3's, and they still wear in the exact same spot you mentioned. Nothing to sweat. The people saying it did not happen to them just did not even bother to look or notice.

hawk549

Yeah i agree although the DS2 for the ps2 didnt have any such problem and was short, sturdy and reliable.

#14 Posted by trav_have (5707 posts) -
My controllers haven't had a problem, besides one of them the bluetooth went insane and I had to take it away from my PS3 because it did stuff on it's own. Maybe you're playing UFC too much...a lot of my friends spin the stick too fast and it screws up the analog sticks.
#15 Posted by hxczuner (2672 posts) -

So I know I gave you crap about your Analog stick problem, but I just got the GoW colleciton/red controller bundle and after beating the first one and half of the second one there's a groove on my shiny new controller.... consider me pissed. I even thought about this before I played.

#16 Posted by NoobisMaxcimus (2893 posts) -

Cod4 absolutely nuked my sixaxis.

#17 Posted by iRecoil (198 posts) -

n_anirudh18

I had the same issue. I purchased a launch 250gb slim model and my controller crapped out within a month (L3 stopped working). I just bought a new controller.

#18 Posted by n_anirudh18 (25 posts) -

Crap ..now even my L3's startin to give me problems. I purchase a costlier bundle and what I do get bundled is a **** of controller problems. Way to go Sony!

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
#19 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -
Mine has a slight groove and some white powder as well.. but i've had my DS3 for 2 years and i play about 20-30 hours a week.. just how hard were you using the controller!?
#20 Posted by T-Machine99 (1848 posts) -

Easy on the controller buddy.

#22 Posted by Kane04 (2115 posts) -

n_anirudh18
i have the same controller since i bought my PS3 (euro release) and yours sound in worst shape, maybe you are going too hard on it, remember, its pressure sencitive but its doesn't take that much pressure. PS. i can put things in autopilot now because the left stick no longer has the force to back to 0, only goes like 98% of the way back to 0 :P anyone else with this problem?
#23 Posted by budboarder (2304 posts) -
I game ALOT and I wear out a sony controller in about a year. Ive gone through 3 so far, and my DS3 analogs are starting to stick.