Dragon Age Origin Mage Or Rogue Archer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CodyTwoHottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CodyTwoHottie
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
this is my first playthrough and im having troubling picking either a mage or a rogue who's a archer so pretty much i enjoy attacking people at a range magic seems powerful but at the moment the spells don't seem that great but i know its just the begining and the archer seems fun and since im leveling up cunning i can unlock stuff getting gold and stuff quite easily in your playthrough which one did you enjoy and why cause i they both seem fun but im not too sure what to pick also which race would be best for a archer or a mage if you don't mind me asking
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

if you like range invest in a mage. fire/Frost combo is devastating. Level up mana pool mostly and don't worry much about health. Have a good tank and healer. :)

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

Since it's your first playthrough, I'd recommend Mage. An Archer can be a bit of a late bloomer in comparison to the other builds. Also, while the archery tree has some talents for blasting away at people from afar, it's mostly focused on debuffs and crowd control overall such as Pinning Shot to keep an enemy stuck in place for a short time, a shattering shot to lower an enemies armor rating, a scatter shot that stuns everyone in a large proximity, etc.

CodyTwoHottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CodyTwoHottie
is being an archer really that ugh bad is a way of saying cause i was sorta thinking on being a archer and help out my teammates :/
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

is being an archer really that ugh bad is a way of saying cause i was sorta thinking on being a archer and help out my teammates :/CodyTwoHottie

Not a fan of either classes to be honest as I found melee to be much better and more fun. But if you're going range then yeah start a mage, an archer starts REALLY bad until high levels where you basically kill everything that moves with a hit or two. Rangers have high learning curve and unless you know the game I wouldn't recommend them at all, if you were starting Awakening then I'd tell you go ahead an play an archer but for now stick to the mage. Also a mage can help much, much more than a ranger can as mages have many buffs and can heal.

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

is being an archer really that ugh bad is a way of saying cause i was sorta thinking on being a archer and help out my teammates :/CodyTwoHottie

It's not that they're bad. They're just underwhelming compared to other classes until later in the game. As far as debuffs go, they're slightly useful in the beginning but aren't that useful in the long run because the other classes/builds can do what they do pretty well, even without debuffing enemies. And as far as crowd control goes, Pinning Shot holds an enemy in place but it instantly wears off the moment they're attacked so it's uses are limited. That leaves you with Scattershot, which does good crowd control but can't be gotten until level 14ish. Arrow of Slaying is one of the most powerful talents/spells in the game, capable of doing 1000+ damage in a single shot but again, locked out until level 14ish.

CodyTwoHottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CodyTwoHottie
so you think i should just be a mage kinda sucks im gonna be missing out on all those chests at the begining that are locked well i could always have a teammate whos a rogue i suppose :/