Dragon Age or Oblivion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scass319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 scass319
Member since 2008 • 480 Posts
A few of my own questions to begin... Which game will take me longer if I decide to do the side quests AND the main quest? Which game has the better story? Which game has more replay value? Which game has more customization? Those are my main questions. Anything else you can add, maybe your own opinion on why one game is better than the other or whatever, would be greatly appreciated. I'm just having a tough time deciding between the two. I've heard great things about both and have also done some research, but I thought I could get some answers from the GS community. Thanks guys.
dalscowboys22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dalscowboys22
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
A few of my own questions to begin... Which game will take me longer if I decide to do the side quests AND the main quest? Which game has the better story? Which game has more replay value? Which game has more customization? Those are my main questions. Anything else you can add, maybe your own opinion on why one game is better than the other or whatever, would be greatly appreciated. I'm just having a tough time deciding between the two. I've heard great things about both and have also done some research, but I thought I could get some answers from the GS community. Thanks guys.scass319
1- Oblivion 2- Dragon Age has the better main story 3- Dragon Age because of the difference in how character classes play 4- Kind of a tie really, but i guess you have more freedom in Oblivion kind of. Personal- I like Dragon Age > Oblivion but they are both great games.
dragonzw2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dragonzw2c
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts

i played oblivion on pc,which is better than console for all the free mods...so i would recommend it for pc before console (cheaper on pc too)...for example there is a mod called Midas Magic that adds over 200 spells along with sum quests and all u do is download it to pc and follow directions....adds to replay value

mod site http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/top/check it out

Dragon Age- just ordered it myself,waiting for it to be delivered....with all the dlc i'm guessing this is a higher quality game by it being newer, but oblivion is a great game also (been at least a year since i played it though)...

scass319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 scass319
Member since 2008 • 480 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Can anyone else throw in their opinions?
Elementguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Elementguy13
Member since 2005 • 2950 Posts

oblivion for everything.

ivan98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ivan98
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

oblivion baby

yourmate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 yourmate
Member since 2010 • 165 Posts
iv been trying to make the same decision, after reading reviews and watching gameplay footage etc , iv decided to go oblivion when the times right :)
dalscowboys22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dalscowboys22
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Can anyone else throw in their opinions?scass319
And i am playing Oblivion right now lol, though i like Dragon Age more the teaser for ESV: Skyrim built up the hype for me to where i am anticipating that over Dragon Age II. I dont think you will regret your decision either way though. but if you go with Oblivion i reccomend you buy the GOTY edition for the extra DLC.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="scass319"] Which game will take me longer if I decide to do the side quests AND the main quest? Which game has the better story? Which game has more replay value? Which game has more customization?

1) oblivion, but both are very sizable. 2) dragon age 3) dragon age. you can complete basically every quest in every guild on a single play through of oblivion, but you really have to make choices in dragon age. 4) both really, but dragon age reacts better to your input. whenever this thread comes up, i always do a big run down of all the things dragon age does better than oblivion. i wont do that this time. ill just say that oblivion is an admirably ambitious game that just didnt implement its many as ideas as well as it could have. dragon age isnt quite as ambitious it it does nearly everything it sets out to do better than oblivion. i certainly know which game id prefer.
Mister-Mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mister-Mike
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts
I know people are gonna give me crap about this but instead of Oblivion and Dragon Age Origins I would say get TWO WORLDS 2. imo Two worlds was a good game content wise- dragon age is a different style of rpg than oblivion- instead of exploring a seemless world you explore decent sized areas that you get to pick from a map. Oblivion is one world that you have free range to explore with about 20-40 seconds loading here and there. Two Worlds 2 plays more like oblivion in which you have one huge world to play in. Which game will take me longer if I decide to do the side quests AND the main quest? Oblivion- 20-40 hours (really depends on how fast you play through it. Dragon Age: 20-40hours (once again depends on how fast you play through it. Two Worlds 2- 20- 40 hours (depends how fast you play through it)...WAIT- IF you factor in online play i would add an additional 20-infinite (because you can play online till you get bored) Which game has the better story? Story wise- (I havent finished TW2) But would have to say oblivion more than likely has the best story. Grading Scale of Story: Oblivion 9.2/10 (I have beatin it twice on xbox 360 and have the Game of year edition on PS3) D.A.O 8.7/10- (The story is pretty indepth just got a little stale for me). Two Worlds 2: 8.4/10 Which game has more replay value? Two worlds 2- I havent beatin it yet but it has a single player campaign, so does Obl. and DAO but this has ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!!!!- the other 2 do not...You can PVP and Explore the world with your friends- Thus questing alone plus being able to play online you can put more than enough time into the game and not just creature a crazy character that you cant test in head to head combat with your friend who thinks he has a better character, lol Which game has more customization? Two Worlds 2 (you can change color of outfits, you can upgrade the same amount of skills as in oblivion with a few extras, Examples: Oblivion you can only summon one creature at a time, just upgrade able for a longer duration or higher class creature, TW2 you can do the same but also upgrade the amount of creatures you want to summon at once (up to a max of 10 creatures at a time) In short- I would say your best bet is Two Worlds 2- 1) Graphics better than Oblivion and Dragon age. 2) Dragon age has the smallest world out of all 3, Two worlds and Oblivion have a big world, 3) Online play, 4) Good Story (definetly above average story line) Some people will shoot down this game because of the first one but this is something you will have to play for yourself and decide but if you like oblivion I promise you will like this game as much if not a little more Ohh yea- I imported it from UK cuz it doesnt hit the states till sumtime in january (if they dont change the release date again)
Mister-Mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mister-Mike
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts
EDIT: i meant to say 2-4 second loading on oblivions areas
rupes1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 rupes1986
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Personally, I'm still more inclined to play Oblivion. I agree that Dragon Age is quite impressive, but it's really linear as far as exploration goes. In this day and age of free-roaming and do-what-you-will gameplay, it felt like a step backwards. Though the story is much much better, and there's a lot more to be done and decided upon, I just can't get past the feeling of being told where to go. I like to find my own way through a game. A lot of my disappointment stems from the fact that Bioware developed the NWN franchise, which, in my opinion, is a masterpiece of role-playing games.

Merits given, Dragon Age will last longer as far as playthrough, but Oblivion's open endedness reigns supreme.

They're both cheap, why not just snatch them both up?

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#13 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Which game will take me longer if I decide to do the side quests AND the main quest? Oblivion is probably the most time consuming RPG on the PS3.

Which game has the better story? Dragon Age. No competition here really. DA:O has an amazing story that you get to shape while Oblivion's story is more of an excuse to put you in the world. Not to mention Dragon Age also has some pretty tough choices to make.

Which game has more replay value? Both have good replay value. In DA:O you'll enjoy replaying it again to see how the story folds out this time around while in Oblivion your character is highly customizable and can solve quests in a variety of ways. There's also no way you'll discover everything in a single Oblivion playthrough.

Which game has more customization? I'd say Oblivion. There's hundreds of different objects across the world to use or wear as well as the leveling system. DA:O has a more complex leveling system but isn't as customizable overall.

They're both fantastic games but I like Dragon Age slightly better because of its story and world that it takes place in. It's also probably the most old school WRPG on the PS3. You can't go wrong with getting either game though.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

yeah u got a lot of great responses here. i put a crap load of hours into oblivion, its a great game because of the freedom and open world and also has a lot of quests and side quests to do, although the story isnt all that great. i think a mixture of dragon age's story structure (u know how u have cutscenes and a bunch of choices) and oblivion's gameplay would make an awesome game. with oblivion there isnt really any scenes, its always u just see the person's face when u talk to them the same view everytime and they seem kinda lifeless. awesome game though gameplay wise, and yeah its much better on pc with all the mods. one of my favourite things to do in oblivion was just where some glorious looking armour and ride through the land on my horse while listening to the soothing music and taking in the scenery lol. dragon age was great cuz of its story but i pretty much only played it thought because of the story, cuz i really thought the battle system sucked.