Dragon Age 2 demo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I was just playing the Dragon Age 2 demo. I don't see what the big deal is with this game? The game chugs and is choppy every couple of minutes. Everytime it goes from gameplay to cutscene, there is significant pause between the two. One time it actually said now loading when going from gameplay to cutscene. They certainly did not polish this game up at all. Why can't Bioware program for PS3?

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Good grief, the first Dragon Age had the worst freamerate I've ever seen on any console (And Gamespot actually gave a higher review score to the PS3 version than the other one), and now they can't even make a decent demo - which should have almost no loading times because you've downloaded the whole thing to the hard drive? That's absolutely pathetic.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamenerd15

Even without the issues, the game seems average. The environments are very plain. The character models are ok at best. The voice acting was a little annoying. I am really trying to like western RPG's but every one of them I play, I just get turned off.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Yeah, I might try this one on the PC but definitely not on console. I played the first on PC and PS3 and let me tell ya... It was made for PC. Beyond that, though, I didn't really care for the game. Bland environments, bland characters, a pretty bland story from what I saw (i never finished it), and the combat was pretty bland, too. Unless they did a major reboot I'm not sure I'll enjoy this one, either. And it sounds as if they haven't changed much at all. I'll have to go DL it and see.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

I'm playing through Origins right now, and the game is really a mess....the gameplay and story are really good, but there is ZERO polish. And DA2 is the same way? That's just lazy.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
meh its bioware i don't understand how they get so much love the first dragon age was boring i may try the demo to 2 but i'll most likely pass
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
If you don't like it on PS3, get it for PC. I didn't like the original on PS3 either for the same reason and it's basically a consensus that the PC version is vastly superior to the console version.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I thought it actually looked really good and played damn smooth on my PS3. It wasn't chugging, i know that and the graphics are a hell of a lot cleaner than they were on 360 (never played the first on PS3). The control system was really pretty simple to implement though I kept having a glitch where the game would pause with the command ring gone then unpause when the command ring appeared, fricking annoying! I'm sure they will fix this though, it was a pretty painful glitch since it made casting spells damn difficult.

The story seemed to be pretty ho-hum but the begining of the first was just as boring really. DA didn't get interesting until you picked up Shale really. Hopefully the story gets better. My main question is why does every woman in this game have an amazing rack, right in your face? It's a bit difficult to pay attention to anything else, just my opinion...

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
From what Ive seen it looks horrible for a 2011 game. How can they release a graphicaly beatufiul game like ME2 and then this ugly jaggy mess?
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrSelf-Destruct
Well, I just tried it on the PC. The graphics look much better as well as the artstyle (which I really like), but the environment I saw was still pretty bland. This games much more cenimatic, but I also had the constant "loading..." message between every transition. The combat is a lot faster, but its still the boring auto pilot style it was last go around. Garret is no Commander Shepard, either. I'm thinking I'll give this one a pass until further notice.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gamenerd15

Well, I just tried it on the PC. The graphics look much better as well as the artstyle (which I really like), but the environment I saw was still pretty bland. This games much more cenimatic, but I also had the constant "loading..." message between every transition. The combat is a lot faster, but its still the boring auto pilot style it was last go around. Garret is no Commander Shepard, either. I'm thinking I'll give this one a pass until further notice. MrSelf-Destruct

Even on PC they have loading between gameplay and cutscene? Whatever, I can't believe people actually like the game. I am not one to call out issues, but I have never played a game that had this many issues before. Even the game Lair had less issues than this demo.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frostybanana

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]Well, I just tried it on the PC. The graphics look much better as well as the artstyle (which I really like), but the environment I saw was still pretty bland. This games much more cenimatic, but I also had the constant "loading..." message between every transition. The combat is a lot faster, but its still the boring auto pilot style it was last go around. Garret is no Commander Shepard, either. I'm thinking I'll give this one a pass until further notice. gamenerd15

Even on PC they have loading between gameplay and cutscene? Whatever, I can't believe people actually like the game. I am not one to call out issues, but I have never played a game that had this many issues before. Even the game Lair had less issues than this demo.

Ok, so you're basically formulating an opinion of a game (an RPG no less) based off a demo that contains 3% of the actual game. Did you even play the first Dragon Age? Because it had similar loading issues as well as bugs and framerate problems that were patched and fixed after it's release. Nobody has said anything about Dragon Age 2 yet because nobody has PLAYED it yet so I don't know what people you're talking about. Moreover basing your opinion on a demo is the equivalent of hearing a demo track off an album and deciding the whole album is crap before you even listen to it. They will fix any bugs, framerate issues and things of that nature once it's released much like FO: New Vegas. Crying about the framerate issues on a DEMO is just ridiculous.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
So The Witcher 2 guy who was boasting about how their game looks so much better needn't have bothered as from what you guys say it's not like it was a massive achievement? :lol:
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I loved the demo. I'm even more excited for the game now.

So you can all complain about the PS3 version, but I'll be loving it!

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

Just so everyone knows, the demo is from an old build, which is why there's an issue with loading during cutscenes. Of course, there's no way of knowing it's fixed now for sure until the first reviews come out.

jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

I loved the demo. I'm even more excited for the game now.

So you can all complain about the PS3 version, but I'll be loving it!

I agree completely. Anyone that really loved the first one will have no problems with the second. Under two weeks now...
Steyrvolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Steyrvolt
Member since 2009 • 1762 Posts

Just so everyone knows, the demo is from an old build, which is why there's an issue with loading during cutscenes. Of course, there's no way of knowing it's fixed now for sure until the first reviews come out.

RurouniSaiyajin
I hope it is, because the slowdown was annoying. Aside from that and the highly unprofessional voice recording/sound editing, the demo was decent. I'll probably buy it just for Isabella's... personality... and a possibly good story once it picks up, but I'm waiting for a price drop so it'll be awhile.
Niv-Vigorous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Niv-Vigorous
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

I really didn't have ANY of the technical problems that some of you guys are describing (on the PS3 at least). The frame-rate didn't slow down once, and combat flowed very smoothly, even when enemies were swarming and the screen was pretty full.

Definately a buy for me, BioWare is consistenly churning out great games.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#19 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

It does load a lot, but besides that it runs well I thought.

SgtNumNum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SgtNumNum
Member since 2008 • 1172 Posts

I just finished playing the demo and didnt have any problems with it what so ever. I liked how they changed the combat system better then the first game. I think i might just pre-order this game. I got in to even tho its just a demo.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]Well, I just tried it on the PC. The graphics look much better as well as the artstyle (which I really like), but the environment I saw was still pretty bland. This games much more cenimatic, but I also had the constant "loading..." message between every transition. The combat is a lot faster, but its still the boring auto pilot style it was last go around. Garret is no Commander Shepard, either. I'm thinking I'll give this one a pass until further notice. frostybanana

Ok, so you're basically formulating an opinion of a game (an RPG no less) based off a demo that contains 3% of the actual game. Did you even play the first Dragon Age? Because it had similar loading issues as well as bugs and framerate problems that were patched and fixed after it's release. Nobody has said anything about Dragon Age 2 yet because nobody has PLAYED it yet so I don't know what people you're talking about. Moreover basing your opinion on a demo is the equivalent of hearing a demo track off an album and deciding the whole album is crap before you even listen to it. They will fix any bugs, framerate issues and things of that nature once it's released much like FO: New Vegas. Crying about the framerate issues on a DEMO is just ridiculous.

It doesn't matter if it gets patched. The game should not have to be patched in the first place. Bioware should have learned from their mistakes from the first game and polished the game up. Demos are there to give you a general idea of what a game is like. I highly doubt that the rest of the game runs significantly better than the part that is the demo. What did bioware decide "hey let's make 97% of this game run well and 3% not run so good." No I am not saying I know the game sucks as a whole, but once again demos are supposed to give you a good impression of what the full experience is. If the demo is any indication of what the final product is, than screw it. Games should not run like this demo. Demos should not run like this demo did. Fallout should not have run the way it did when it first launched either. Developers should get out all the bugs before releasing the game. By saying "it doesn't matter if the game has issues, they can just patch it" your basically telling developers it is ok to be lazy, or to rush out a product.

Aside from the loading and the chugging issues, the game has other issues that aren't really technical. I am not one to complain graphics but these graphics at this time in the console's life cycle are unacceptable. It's 2011 not 2007 early 2008. The voice acting was also not that good. When you have games like Demon's Souls, FF13, Eternal Sonata, and Valkyria Chronicles that look great. Even Trinity Souls of Zill oll looks better than Dragon Age and that is a Koei game. That is just bad.

But hey, it's your money. If you want to buy a technical mess then more power to you.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
I just finished the demo and though it was awesome. The combat is exactly what I was expecting it to be in DAO. So glad they made it more of an action RPG. Now I'm really excited for the full game. I'm curious how one thing will play out though when I carry over my decisions from DAO: [spoiler] I killed off Flemeth in DAO so I wonder how that will change in DA II. She obviously won't be able to save the paty and fly them out of there so I wonder if they'll have some way of reviving her (and there better be a damn good explanation as to how and why) or if they substitute her with someone else. Maybe Morrigan? [/spoiler] Also, Isabella is hot.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Only problem I really had was that you have keep ****ing hitting the X button to attack.:x I miss just having to hit it once to wail on some dude.:P Also I miss numbers flying up when anyone touches someone else!:cry:

Other than that I liked it. Rogues and Warriors have some pretty badass skills now.:P

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

It doesn't matter if it gets patched. The game should not have to be patched in the first place. Bioware should have learned from their mistakes from the first game and polished the game up. Demos are there to give you a general idea of what a game is like. I highly doubt that the rest of the game runs significantly better than the part that is the demo. What did bioware decide "hey let's make 97% of this game run well and 3% not run so good." No I am not saying I know the game sucks as a whole, but once again demos are supposed to give you a good impression of what the full experience is. If the demo is any indication of what the final product is, than screw it. Games should not run like this demo. Demos should not run like this demo did. Fallout should not have run the way it did when it first launched either. Developers should get out all the bugs before releasing the game. By saying "it doesn't matter if the game has issues, they can just patch it" your basically telling developers it is ok to be lazy, or to rush out a product.

Aside from the loading and the chugging issues, the game has other issues that aren't really technical. I am not one to complain graphics but these graphics at this time in the console's life cycle are unacceptable. It's 2011 not 2007 early 2008. The voice acting was also not that good. When you have games like Demon's Souls, FF13, Eternal Sonata, and Valkyria Chronicles that look great. Even Trinity Souls of Zill oll looks better than Dragon Age and that is a Koei game. That is just bad.

But hey, it's your money. If you want to buy a technical mess then more power to you.

Right, so by everything you said you DIDN'T play the first one and if you did you didn't like it. Yet you're sitting here and judging it like you know what the whole game is like. In any case, MOST people I've talked to since you've posted this have said they haven't had any technical problems with it. I haven't played it myself but from what I've seen it looks fine. The graphics are THAT much a problem for you? I really dislike that attitude to be frank. Graphics should always be a secondary concern to actual substance and content. If you want something pretty to look at, go watch Avatar. Most people who played the original DA and enjoyed it on PC or console were willing to look past the graphics which weren't great because the game, god forbid, actually had a plot, depthful combat and character development both within the narrative and the actual character customization and hours upon hours of actual content. As for the loading issues, that was there with the original DA. That's not because of the game, that's because the PS3 has dated memory. The load times on PC were fine. The game isn't the most pretty thing in the world, that's a given. It's not really a CONSOLE game to begin with. If you're that bent on harping on the graphics then no, this game isn't for you. So pass on it. But graphics =/= substance.
Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#26 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

@Texas2089

[spoiler] In DAO after fighting Flemeth, Morrigan says she probably isn't dead. Also that part in DA2 takes place during Origins. [/spoiler]

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

The gameplay felt like .HACK series. But it looks great and feels great since it's a demo i expect the real game to be better. Minus the hitches of course

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Texas2089

@Texas2089Zathic

[spoiler] Oh yeah. She did say that she was probably still alive, but without her Grimoire she wouldn't be able to do it anymore. Thanks for reminding me :P [/spoiler]

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Texas2089

Only problem I really had was that you have keep ****ing hitting the X button to attack.:x I miss just having to hit it once to wail on some dude.:P Also I miss numbers flying up when anyone touches someone else!:cry:

Other than that I liked it. Rogues and Warriors have some pretty badass skills now.:P

Vyse_Legends
There's an option to turn on the damage numbers but it was disabled in the demo for some reason.
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

I've done a few plays of the demo, on both PC and PS3. Biggest difference between the two is that the ps3 version is a lot more action oriented because you have to constantly attack. In the pc version, your character auto attacks after a single order. Other then that, the ps3 version ran smooth during combat for me, the only hiccups being cutscene transition (which also happens in the pc demo) and slow-downs while sifting through the main menu (don't recall it being an issue with the pc version). Hopefully these issues aren't in the final game.

The ps3 version is kinda fun if you play it in a hack n slach way, with the added bonus of being able to control/order teammates. My only worry is having only 6 quickslots for skills, though I guess you should only place skills that are 'activated' in those slots. Still, it's just easier to use skills with the pc version. Which probably means bigger battles/boss battles will be more tactical on the pc version.

One thing the ps3 version has over the pc is an easier camera to control. A lot of people have complained about camera for the pc, especially with tactical view taken out. I myself found it hard to control the camera whilst controlling my character on pc. I didn't notice this issue at all with the ps3 version. I used tactical view a lot in DA:O, so I will miss it for DA2.

A couple of other things: I hate the conversation wheel. Hated it in ME, and hate it here. From what I played in the demo, you only get 3 responses and they're very specific in their nature. I wish it stayed the way it was in DA:O. It seems a sacrifice to allow voice acting for your character. And touching on that, I'm liking female Hawke a lot more than male Hawke. Male Hawke got on my nerves a few times. He just sounds out of place with everyone else. Perhaps a tad old too. Female Hawke sounds more in place, and the subtle differences of spoken lines, to me, favour her too. It doesn't hurt that default female Hawke looks like Morrigan too :P

I tend to play the male character in these games, but I may just go for the female version this time.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#31 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

The demo actually restored my faith in the game. Sure the graphics and character models suck but I don't know how anybody who played Origins could expect otherwise. And I found the demo to be really fun.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I've done a few plays of the demo, on both PC and PS3. Biggest difference between the two is that the ps3 version is a lot more action oriented because you have to constantly attack. In the pc version, your character auto attacks after a single order. Other then that, the ps3 version ran smooth during combat for me, the only hiccups being cutscene transition (which also happens in the pc demo) and slow-downs while sifting through the main menu (don't recall it being an issue with the pc version). Hopefully these issues aren't in the final game.

The ps3 version is kinda fun if you play it in a hack n slach way, with the added bonus of being able to control/order teammates. My only worry is having only 6 quickslots for skills, though I guess you should only place skills that are 'activated' in those slots. Still, it's just easier to use skills with the pc version. Which probably means bigger battles/boss battles will be more tactical on the pc version.

One thing the ps3 version has over the pc is an easier camera to control. A lot of people have complained about camera for the pc, especially with tactical view taken out. I myself found it hard to control the camera whilst controlling my character on pc. I didn't notice this issue at all with the ps3 version. I used tactical view a lot in DA:O, so I will miss it for DA2.

A couple of other things: I hate the conversation wheel. Hated it in ME, and hate it here. From what I played in the demo, you only get 3 responses and they're very specific in their nature. I wish it stayed the way it was in DA:O. It seems a sacrifice to allow voice acting for your character. And touching on that, I'm liking female Hawke a lot more than male Hawke. Male Hawke got on my nerves a few times. He just sounds out of place with everyone else. Perhaps a tad old too. Female Hawke sounds more in place, and the subtle differences of spoken lines, to me, favour her too. It doesn't hurt that default female Hawke looks like Morrigan too :P

I tend to play the male character in these games, but I may just go for the female version this time.

Sphire

Well said, I had the similar experience. The only problem I have is constantly hit X button while the PC version retains the auto-attack. Either way, the combat is faster.

I had no issues with PS3 version, it run great and as you mention, camera control was more natural. For some reason I found myself pausing the game (PC) much more often then in Origins.

The voice acting (French/UK) part really doesn't set well with me, especially Hawk.. I have absolutely nothing against those languages but for some reason it didn't felt natural to me. DA: Origins for example was completely different in voice overs. Maybe its just me.

I haven't decided yet which version to get, however I have a hard time associating Dragon Age as action-rpg..

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Jeez, if all this is true then that's awful. I was kinda interested in picking this one up because it's Bioware and I LOVED Mass Effect 1 and 2 and I did enjoy Dragon Age Origins, but it sounds like zero improvements were made.. bummer. And demos always resemble the feel of the full game.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="Sphire"]

You can still get a tactical view on the PC version. You simply hold down the right mouse button and move it overhead then let go. The camera will stay in that position. Then you zoom out with the mouse wheel and rotate with A and D keys. I liked the camera controls a lot.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="Vyse_Legends"]

You may want to try the PC version then if you can run it. The PC version still has the auto combat. That's actually the main thing I was disappointed about, because I'd rather play hack n slash style then auto. As awesome a game as The Witcher was I still really disliked the combat. I want to pummel these dudes to the ground not just click on them and watch my character do it for me. lol
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

You can still get a tactical view on the PC version. You simply hold down the right mouse button and move it overhead then let go. The camera will stay in that position. Then you zoom out with the mouse wheel and rotate with A and D keys. I liked the camera controls a lot. MrSelf-Destruct

Hmm, sounds like a bit of a hassle to constantly change it, but I'll have to give that a try.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrSelf-Destruct
Okay, I just tried the demo on a console. The controls are much better. I just like feeling like I'm in total control of combat. I say, for consoles at least, this game is a definite step up from the last game.