Downloading pictures for my avatar? help!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I was wondering if its possible that you can download pictures for your profile picture. And if this is possible, what sites are the best ones?
nocturnized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nocturnized
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts
You can't add your own picture for your avatar.
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts
You can use custom pics for your Users but not for your display for PSN in the friends list. You are stuck with the provided avatars there.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

You can use custom pics for your Users but not for your display for PSN in the friends list. You are stuck with the provided avatars there.lyndonAPI

...And they suck.

huriona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 huriona
Member since 2003 • 361 Posts
You can use custom pics for your Users but not for your display for PSN in the friends list. You are stuck with the provided avatars there.lyndonAPI
Why is that? Is Sony afraid everyone will have an obscene picture as their avatar? Or is it because of copyright issues? Anyway, I think Sony should implement some system where you can submit your pic for approval and then be able to use it as your online avatar.
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lyndonAPI

No arguement about the majority of the avatars, imapirate.

Huriona, it's a combination of the two, i think. There would be the immature ones out there that would put an icon of somewhat "questionable" nature up there plus some do get quite antsy if something of theis that is copyrighted is used without permission, even if just for something as harmless as an avatar (you'd think they would like the free advertising). All that can be done is keep at Sony to allow the use of custom avs and, if enough keep at it, they will eventually bring it.

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 YourDaddy88
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts
Yeah, it sucks we cant do our own, but it also wouldnt surprise me if someone sued Sony for one of us putting innapropriate content or illegal advertisment/copyright infrigement on the PSN. And in this country, they would probably settle with Sony for a nice little jackpot...one thing I don't get is why doesn't Sony allow us to do this and just make us sign an online agreement putting all liability on us and none on Sony? That would be sweet. Each is responsible for his own avatar and all laws.
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lyndonAPI
YourDaddy, you know as well as I do those "agreements" are not even read and most click the yes just to get past it and keep on going, just like when people review the TOS for here and other sites. :roll:
hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts

YourDaddy, you know as well as I do those "agreements" are not even read and most click the yes just to get past it and keep on going, just like when people review the TOS for here and other sites. :roll:lyndonAPI
Yes, but it is still a good idea... At least it is a defense from a legal point of view. And those agreements are common in the industry because of that reason.

I don't know why they didn't include this feature. It would be easy enough... But I guess this goes to the bag of "maybe in the future" together with in-game XMB.

Foffity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Foffity
Member since 2004 • 622 Posts

I think there's too many obstacles to overcome for custom avs to be used in the forseeable future.

Maybe in time it'll become more likely.

huriona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 huriona
Member since 2003 • 361 Posts

I think there's too many obstacles to overcome for custom avs to be used in the forseeable future.

Maybe in time it'll become more likely.

Foffity

Are they really? I mean, look at the avatars/icons in GS or any other gaming site. I've seen not only video game characters, but TV/movie actors, musicians, etc. and I haven't heard anyone is suing GS or CNET. I also think game publishers will be happy to provide avatars (for free) for PSN of their ganes; and it's just a tiny JPEG, so how hard can it be?

Oh, well. We just have to be patient.