Downloading games off of PSN is a joke.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

User Lists: 0

#1 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Apparently if something happens to your connection then you'll have to restart your entire download. I've been trying to download Shadow of the Colossus now (about 6 gigs) for past few hours and everytime I reach a significant margin an error pops and I have to restart the entire download.

I don't know if this is because of PSN.

H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts

Apparently if something happens to your connection then you'll have to restart your entire download. I've been trying to download Shadow of the Colossus now (about 6 gigs) for past few hours and everytime I reach a significant margin an error pops and I have to restart the entire download.

SpinoRaptor24
Are you sure you have to restart? Sounds pretty harsh if that's the case, what if you choose 'download in background' would that make a difference? I've nearly finished downloading Crysis and I did note that in the morning, the download speed was fast but slightly slower late afternoon, not that slow, but it was kind of.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

SpinoRaptor24

Does your ISP have a data cap on your service, perhaps (some folks do, and they don't know about it until something like this happens)? Or, possibly is your router timing out or otherwise hiccupping? I really don't think it's a problem on the PSN side of things... I could be wrong, but...

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
it sure is ive had problems in the past with random disconnects but upgraded to cable and while it never disconnects the psn downloading is pretty slow even with open ports, not sure how to do a DMZ on my currently router tho.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Bummer dude. I've downloaded loads of games off PSN no problem. Some over 10GB's like DC Universe Online, Mass Effect 3, etc.. Just downloaded RE4 HD today with no issues.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Use Download in Background. Even if your PS3 turns off somehow you can turn it on and pick up where you left off. :D
ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts

SpinoRaptor24

How is it Sony's fault that your internet is horrible. Blame your internet provider.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Sounds like an ISP problem instead of a Sony problem

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

You're doing it wrong.

Katzenbalger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Katzenbalger
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts

Use Download in Background. Even if your PS3 turns off somehow you can turn it on and pick up where you left off. :DThe-Apostle

This. Whenever i download something off PSN i always choose the Download in Background option. Then you can turn off your PS3 whenever you want to and it'll keep your DL at whatever percentage it was. You can also play games as it downloads, instead of just sitting there in the PSN store watching it download.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Use Download in Background. Even if your PS3 turns off somehow you can turn it on and pick up where you left off. :DKatzenbalger

You can also play games as it downloads, instead of just sitting there in the PSN store watching it download.

Wait... You can? I'll have to remember that next time I get a game off Plus.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#15 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Use Download in Background. Even if your PS3 turns off somehow you can turn it on and pick up where you left off. :DThe-Apostle
That seems to work. Much appreciated.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
No...I've never had this problem. I've got DS2 from PSN, and that was 11 GB over three days.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've always been able to carry on where I left off...

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Exactly ...seems like more of a TC issue not knowing what they are doing than a PSN issue
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Use Download in Background. Even if your PS3 turns off somehow you can turn it on and pick up where you left off. :Drawsavon
Exactly ...seems like more of a TC issue not knowing what they are doing than a PSN issue

Pretty much. I just figured I'd give him the only real answer. >_>
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

SpinoRaptor24
I call BS. I have had the PS3 from launch and that has NEVER NEVER NEVER happened for me.
_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
I am also pretty upset with downloading games or even demos of PSN. MY internet connection is top notch, and when I am surfing(as I do now, on my laptop), internet is flawless, but the internet on my Ps3 is so crap; MIND when downloading stuff. Internet is stabile when gaming also.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="Katzenbalger"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Use Download in Background. Even if your PS3 turns off somehow you can turn it on and pick up where you left off. :DThe-Apostle

You can also play games as it downloads, instead of just sitting there in the PSN store watching it download.

You can download in background any game or DLC, and the download resumes even if you turn off your PS3. It has ALWAYS been that way. You don't have to be a member of plus. I have no idea what the OP is doing, or talking about, if he's tryig to buy a game and can't figure out how to download it.

The advantage to PSN+ is that you can also set it to automatically downlod overnight. This applies to game updates, or to stuff you already had in your queue from purchases.

That being said, with game patches and firmware UPDATES what the OP said is correct. Maybe it is the patch he is trying to download, and not the game itself It is a very unfortunate thing. When I first got my PS3 I had some problems with getting disconnected and having to restart some VERY LARGE updates. But then I figured out how to disable the "media server", which seemed to be a big culprit for me in interrupting downloads. That took care of 95% of the issue, and of course now that I"m PSN+ and do automatic updates, I can't even remember the last time I had to worry about waiting for a patch.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]

[QUOTE="Katzenbalger"]

2Chalupas

You can download in background any game or DLC, and the download resumes even if you turn off your PS3. It has ALWAYS been that way. You don't have to be a member of plus. I have no idea what the OP is doing, or talking about, if he's tryig to buy a game and can't figure out how to download it.

The advantage to PSN+ is that you can also set it to automatically downlod overnight. This applies to game updates, or to stuff you already had in your queue from purchases.

That being said, with game patches and firmware UPDATES what the OP said is correct. Maybe it is the patch he is trying to download, and not the game itself It is a very unfortunate thing. When I first got my PS3 I had some problems with getting disconnected and having to restart some VERY LARGE updates. But then I figured out how to disable the "media server", which seemed to be a big culprit for me in interrupting downloads. That took care of 95% of the issue, and of course now that I"m PSN+ and do automatic updates, I can't even remember the last time I had to worry about waiting for a patch.

Actually, my response was to someone who said we can play games while they download. I guess I read it wrong. I read it as "We can play the actual game we're downloading while it's downloading." You know, like we can movies?
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#25 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I always download everything in the background to avoid any potential connection problems, and so if something does happen, the download simply pauses, and continues when you start your PS3 up again.

Rootbeer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rootbeer95
Member since 2010 • 490 Posts
Just download the content in the background? I take that option and sometimes download the same piece of content over a month in the background without any issues!
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I always download everything in the background to avoid any potential connection problems, and so if something does happen, the download simply pauses, and continues when you start your PS3 up again.

Venom_Raptor

This^^^, for sure. I've never NOT used "Download In Background", and I've had no troubles even when my Net was from AT&T (translation: "Sh!t-ernet" :lol: )

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

with a title like that I expected a good joke..leaving disappointed..

ca5albert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ca5albert
Member since 2012 • 92 Posts
That's right.But a little....whant can I say?
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Ive never had problems of having to restart my download in the four years I've had my PS3.:?