don't play MGS 4 if you......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kakaroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 kakaroot
Member since 2008 • 307 Posts

i will just tell you what in my mind

i suggest that anyone that has't played mgs from 1 until 3

don't play 4 i mean don't just get it because it got 10

you will say no it's bad why because you did't play it from 1

if you play 1 you will find 2 great and if you play2 you will find 3 amazing

and if you play 1.2 and 3 you will find 4 perfect

that's mean you love mgs from the beginning

and you will definitely love 4

well that's my point

am i right

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

hey you forgot MGS POs

yeha man to get teh feel of MGS play the very first 2 on the NES and then move on to MGS 1,2,3, POs, 4 or if you want to play the real way play it in this order

MGS 3, POs, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Soild Snake, MGS 1, MGS 2, MGS 4

Pyramat2584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Pyramat2584
Member since 2008 • 166 Posts
That's not true. I never played any Metal Gear before I got Metal Gear Solid 4 and i loved it! One of my favourite games.
itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

Boo HIckey!

YOu can read up on the series and get the jist of it. But if y ou want to play an earlier version you only neeed to play one of them and then you have the swing of it.

DString[] - brought to you by: tripletags.com

iesexywarden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 iesexywarden
Member since 2005 • 723 Posts

mgs4 has a good fanbase,

but kojima does a good job keeping you in the loop in nubmer 4 if u hadnt played anything...i suggest everyone to buy this game if u know what ur getting into

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

..umm, who are you?

Hi, welcome back to the real world where you can't dictate people's opinions. You're nobody on a message board thinking your word is absolute. Stop pretending like you matter and people care what you have to say.

ThaDirtySouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ThaDirtySouth
Member since 2003 • 559 Posts

well that's my point

am i right

kakaroot

Well considering they do a lot of flashbacks and semi explanations of the past events that lead up to MGS4, I think I would have to disagree with your "run on paragraph" that I sort of didn't even really understand.

alien100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alien100000
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
thats not true at all, i haven't really played mgs 1, 2, or 3 but i thought 4 was the best game ever.
ThaDirtySouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThaDirtySouth
Member since 2003 • 559 Posts
The only other game this Generation that I can honestly say that was on par with the storytelling and the visuals in MGS4 that I have played was Gears of War and considering the huge difference in release dates MGS4 is really one of the most awesome games I have ever played in my life, regardless of how many Metal Gears I have played.
ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
I pretty much agree with the TC. I've talked to several people who never played MGS 1,2 and 3 but played MGS4 and while amazed with the game, they regretted not playing the previous MGS games because a lot of it is story driven but also, character driven and what certain characters went through like Big Boss in MGS3 and there's a bunch of small things too. Looking these things up on the internet and reading them doesn't give the games justice and it doesn't give you the first hand experience if you were to play the game first.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Denji
MGS4 was well worth the wait I say
treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts

..umm, who are you?

Hi, welcome back to the real world where you can't dictate people's opinions. You're nobody on a message board thinking your word is absolute. Stop pretending like you matter and people care what you have to say.

Denji

dayum burn...But yeah Denjis right bro.

Also TC I find your reasoning a little off. Sure it's better to go into MGS4 with prior knowledge of the series, but if you actually know the series very well then you will really see just how imperfect MGS4 truly is. Mainly in the story department with all of its inconsistencies. MGS4 was filled with retcons, plot holes, over-connectivity and way too much fan service. Things that you wouldn't actually know if you haven't been a hardcore fan over the years. Even certain aspects of the game itself took a step back from what the previous titles established. Not really surprising as the series started doing this with MGS3. Really though if you knew the ins and outs of the MGS universe, then its like this. MGS3 was like Kojima shot you the bird. Portable Ops was a slap in the face. Then MGS4 came along and kicked you in the nuts.

I still absolutely love all the games, but you're a little off with your thinking there bud

Jester070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jester070
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts
well, i think anyone can enjoy mgs4, even without playing any previous games. playing the games before it just makes the experience much much richer. :P
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Denji
[QUOTE="Denji"]

..umm, who are you?

treelog82

Also TC I find your reasoning a little off. Sure it's better to go into MGS4 with prior knowledge of the series, but if you actually know the series very well then you will really see just how imperfect MGS4 truly is. Mainly in the story department with all of its inconsistencies. MGS4 was filled with retcons, plot holes, over-connectivity and way too much fan service. Things that you wouldn't actually know if you haven't been a hardcore fan over the years. Even certain aspects of the game itself took a step back from what the previous titles established. Not really surprising as the series started doing this with MGS3. Really though if you knew the ins and outs of the MGS universe, then its like this. MGS3 was like Kojima shot you the bird. Portable Ops was a slap in the face. Then MGS4 came along and kicked you in the nuts.

I still absolutely love all the games, but you're a little off with your thinking there bud

Actually, the way I see it. MGS4 is nothing but fan service. It's meant to tie in all the loose ends and have everything answered. MGS4 was a response to the fanbase demand. I'm fine with the story, but the who Naomi thing offing herself I felt was kind of pointless.

Ironhorse001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ironhorse001
Member since 2002 • 648 Posts

well that's my point

am i right

kakaroot

In other words, don't bother playing MGS4 just because it received a 10. Play MGS 1-3 first because you will get greater enjoyment from all 4 MGS games because of it's deep story.

I have all 4 of them but I don't plan on playing any of them until the end of the year. :D

treelog82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 treelog82
Member since 2008 • 608 Posts
[QUOTE="treelog82"][QUOTE="Denji"]

..umm, who are you?

Denji

Actually, the way I see it. MGS4 is nothing but fan service. It's meant to tie in all the loose ends and have everything answered. MGS4 was a response to the fanbase demand. I'm fine with the story, but the who Naomi thing offing herself I felt was kind of pointless.

Yeah granted MGS3 and MGS4 are still some of my fav games of all time, I still think Kojima should have quit after MGS2 like he wanted, and come back when hes ready. Hes voiced so many times over the years how sick he is of making MGS and it shows in his work. The games were great, but you know they could have been better. He even mentioned in an interview with Famitsu shortly before 4's release that his biggest worry was that the hardcore fans would enjoy the game and want more. That's pretty sad. That said, they did do a decent job rapping up such a complex series.

As for Naomi, yeah I could have done without that along with many other ass backwards things they did, but whatever. I just hope that if and when a new MG series comes around, they find a director that is passionate about making the games and not just doing it out of fan demand.

johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
the best way to play mgs4 is on big boss extreme mode, I enjoyed it more after getting the big boss emblem
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts

the problem is if you play all the previous games before msg4 you'll be so burned out.

i want to get my big boss emblem but i can't even get to the little robot dude, unless i crawled all the way there or something but that would take forever :(

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
Its called RETROSPECTIVES and they're very effective to noobs of a series. take me, for instance. i love mgs4, and was glad to have watched the retrospectives beforehand (and purchase the collectors edition 1-3 and play it first, of course).
Pusha_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pusha_A
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts
To the person who started this topic, your opinion is as wrong and mis-informed as your spelling and puncuation, I've played all of the MGS series and I still found MGS4 a little confusing so unless you played mgs1 to 4 back to back you will get a little lost at some points but it all comes together, and theres always the Metal Gear database you can download to brush up on all the history and back story, so be quiet and let people make up there own minds.
mgkennedy5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 mgkennedy5
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
I played them all and loved them all so yeah i kinda get what you say
SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SonyMarksman70
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts

the problem is if you play all the previous games before msg4 you'll be so burned out.

i want to get my big boss emblem but i can't even get to the little robot dude, unless i crawled all the way there or something but that would take forever :(

machiavell8x8
It shouldn't take that long to get to the MKII.................:| It's a sneaking game. The soldiers aren't even supposed to know.............................. Cuz your there in secret after the Prologue.
fnd461

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fnd461
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts
it's tough to not get spotted. :(
michelle341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 michelle341
Member since 2008 • 734 Posts
In my opinion u r wrong..... mgs4 was my first mgs game I have played and I really enjoyed it
joopyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 joopyme
Member since 2008 • 2598 Posts
The only other game this Generation that I can honestly say that was on par with the storytelling and the visuals in MGS4 that I have played was Gears of War and considering the huge difference in release dates MGS4 is really one of the most awesome games I have ever played in my life, regardless of how many Metal Gears I have played.ThaDirtySouth
no offense man but please dont compare gears storyline with MGS series... thats just insulting.....O.O gears is just like starship stroopers without them BOOBS!!!!!!!O.O
ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts
The MGS Database says you're wrong.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts
Not true, I havent played MGS1 or 2, only 3 and 4. I find MGS4 perfect, I give it a 10/10. But because I didn't know the story, and MGS4 is heavy on story telling and cutscenes, I reviewed the history of the whole metal gear series online from sites like wikipedia so I'm not lost and confused during cutscense. Metal Gear Online is also very fun.
Arcxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arcxe
Member since 2008 • 376 Posts

"MGS3 was like Kojima shot you the bird."

That's the biggest lie I've heard in my life. MGS3 was the best game I've ever played.

More on topic, why do you get to decide whether or not people get to play a game or not? Why can't I just decide that If you never played the origional Final Fantasy, you can't play any of the other FF games? Is it because I'm not dictator of the world...?

YES!

metalgear-s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 metalgear-s
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
No, MGS4 is still awesome. And you can always just watch the GT Retrospective.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
TC is kinda right. Most gamers who didn't play MGS1-3 bought MGS4 because it got 10/10. IMO, that's just wrong.
Hiddren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Hiddren
Member since 2008 • 1146 Posts
I love MGS4 !
Gameslave_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gameslave_
Member since 2008 • 389 Posts

a good friend of mine tried to get into the story but he really couldnt.

he likes action games so he played it that way, had a much harder time but because its so versatile its totally possible to go rambo like its cod4. hes not all about thinking toooo much and being super stealthy (i like that)

but at the end, he agrees that its a very good game, the graphics were amazing, and the only complaint was the cut scenes.

but he wants to get resistance 2 due to all of the hype so returned mgs4 last week (he bought it the week it was released) and picked up RFOM. i never played that so i'm over his house playing the co-op mode through the game with him and i must say, this game ROCKS, i think GameInformers 9.5 score was correct. and the online is incredible intense. wow.

Nayifq8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nayifq8
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
`but the game is good