Does the Ps3 use much power when the little red light is on(standby mode)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killantro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 killantro
Member since 2005 • 328 Posts
My friend swears to me that his light bill went down when he started turning the ps3 off from the back. is this true? as a person who just bought a ps3, i would like to know. THanks!
djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts

yeah thats something interesting to know?

bump^

joelejuif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 joelejuif
Member since 2003 • 1667 Posts

If you let Folding@Home open a hole month (24/7)...it'll cost you 12.25$ (that's the average in the U.S)...So if 12$ is really huge...

But I don't think it uses some power...I means nothing'S on except a little red light! 

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
The PS3 uses about 2 watts of power while in standby mode or about $.20 a month.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts
It shouldn't cost you much.
BeNOwNz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BeNOwNz
Member since 2006 • 2942 Posts
What if you play it daily, should you turn it off from the back or just leave it on standby? isn't just turning it off better?
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

I asked that question with PS2.

Dude543211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dude543211
Member since 2004 • 2790 Posts

What if you play it daily, should you turn it off from the back or just leave it on standby? isn't just turning it off better?BeNOwNz

if you play daily then you would leave it on standby. there's no particular advantage. 'cept more convenience. 

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

My friend swears to me that his light bill went down when he started turning the ps3 off from the back. is this true? as a person who just bought a ps3, i would like to know. THanks!killantro

Does no one else see what wrong with this statement? Of course on standby it will use more power than when its turned completely off, that's just obvious. 

That's like saying my light bill went down when I didn't use any electricity for a month.  My analogy is extreme, but come on people. 

RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts

[QUOTE="killantro"]My friend swears to me that his light bill went down when he started turning the ps3 off from the back. is this true? as a person who just bought a ps3, i would like to know. THanks!The_Rick_14

Does no one else see what wrong with this statement? Of course on standby it will use more power than when its turned completely off, that's just obvious.

That's like saying my light bill went down when I didn't use any electricity for a month. My analogy is extreme, but come on people.

:P Hey... Theoretically they now want you not only to turn your electronics off- but to unplug the from the outlet. 

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]

[QUOTE="killantro"]My friend swears to me that his light bill went down when he started turning the ps3 off from the back. is this true? as a person who just bought a ps3, i would like to know. THanks!RoganSarine

That's like saying my light bill went down when I didn't use any electricity for a month. My analogy is extreme, but come on people.

:P Hey... Theoretically they now want you not only to turn your electronics off- but to unplug the from the outlet.

"They" also want us to stop butchering animals, hunt, use fertilizer, and tons of other things that actually help our world.  So I don't very much care for the opinions of "they". lol 

rhyumavampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rhyumavampire
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
Eh...if anybody knows anything about physics...leaving a device that isn't running plugged in doesn't use any energy. The flow of electrons have nowhere to go, so they don't just keep flowing. Unplugging everything that's not in use isn't going to do anything.
unebrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 unebrion
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts
I like to leave it on standby because if you push the PS button on the sixaxis it turns on the ps3.  It doesnt always work usualy only works if i turned the system off with the controller..
rahzel54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 rahzel54
Member since 2004 • 1732 Posts
I like to leave it on standby because if you push the PS button on the sixaxis it turns on the ps3. It doesnt always work usualy only works if i turned the system off with the controller.. unebrion
the ps button should always turn on the ps3. it does for me anyway. to whoever said it uses 2watts in SB mode, i actually thought it used virtually none; only what the little red light uses. many devices have a red light to signify that its "off". 2 watts isnt much, but that still seems too high for a little red light. edit: not sure if they meant off, as in completely off (but if its off, it should mean that it uses none, right?) anyway, according to this, the ps3 uses 0-1w when its "off". http://www.digitaldisplacement.com/?p=1907
Telomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Telomar
Member since 2004 • 189 Posts
[QUOTE="unebrion"]I like to leave it on standby because if you push the PS button on the sixaxis it turns on the ps3. It doesnt always work usualy only works if i turned the system off with the controller.. rahzel54
the ps button should always turn on the ps3. it does for me anyway. to whoever said it uses 2watts in SB mode, i actually thought it used virtually none; only what the little red light uses. many devices have a red light to signify that its "off". 2 watts isnt much, but that still seems too high for a little red light.

2 watts isn't too bad for standby.  Some things get
junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 junk56
Member since 2003 • 1748 Posts

[QUOTE="rahzel54"][QUOTE="unebrion"]I like to leave it on standby because if you push the PS button on the sixaxis it turns on the ps3. It doesnt always work usualy only works if i turned the system off with the controller.. Telomar
the ps button should always turn on the ps3. it does for me anyway. to whoever said it uses 2watts in SB mode, i actually thought it used virtually none; only what the little red light uses. many devices have a red light to signify that its "off". 2 watts isnt much, but that still seems too high for a little red light.

2 watts isn't too bad for standby. Some things get

its because when you put it on standby, little magical elves in your ps3 start working in workshops which require 2 watts of electricity.  

Avatar image for The_Dark_Jester
The_Dark_Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Dark_Jester
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts

[QUOTE="Telomar"][QUOTE="rahzel54"][QUOTE="unebrion"]I like to leave it on standby because if you push the PS button on the sixaxis it turns on the ps3. It doesnt always work usualy only works if i turned the system off with the controller.. junk56

2 watts isn't too bad for standby. Some things get

its because when you put it on standby, little magical elves in your ps3 start working in workshops which require 2 watts of electricity.

See that's what I thought but when I tore mine apart I found nothing but electronical looking gizmos and doodads. Did the elves hide or something? 

chacas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chacas
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

Eh...if anybody knows anything about physics...leaving a device that isn't running plugged in doesn't use any energy. The flow of electrons have nowhere to go, so they don't just keep flowing. Unplugging everything that's not in use isn't going to do anything.rhyumavampire

As an electronics engineer i must say that the microprocessor enters idle mode or stand by mode when you "turn off" the system which is what consumes that little energy of 2 watts, the energy flows but at very low rates because nothing is working, the system is just waiting for an "stimulation" like the press of the PS button or the ON button on the front. the energy consumed is a little for the microprocessor and a little more for the bluetooth receiver waiting for the controller PS button signal.

Am i making myself clear or im just talking nonsense in my second language??

GerrywithaG15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GerrywithaG15
Member since 2007 • 999 Posts
[QUOTE="RoganSarine"][QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]

[QUOTE="killantro"]My friend swears to me that his light bill went down when he started turning the ps3 off from the back. is this true? as a person who just bought a ps3, i would like to know. THanks!The_Rick_14

"They" also want us to stop butchering animals, hunt, use fertilizer, and tons of other things that actually help our world.  So I don't very much care for the opinions of "they". lol 

yea tru dat, "they" are some of the biggest hypocrites

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MotherSuperior
[QUOTE="unebrion"]I like to leave it on standby because if you push the PS button on the sixaxis it turns on the ps3. It doesnt always work usualy only works if i turned the system off with the controller.. rahzel54
the ps button should always turn on the ps3. it does for me anyway. to whoever said it uses 2watts in SB mode, i actually thought it used virtually none; only what the little red light uses. many devices have a red light to signify that its "off". 2 watts isnt much, but that still seems too high for a little red light. edit: not sure if they meant off, as in completely off (but if its off, it should mean that it uses none, right?) anyway, according to this, the ps3 uses 0-1w when its "off". http://www.digitaldisplacement.com/?p=1907

The little red light is not the only thing that is working or "on." There are sensors for wireless devices such as bluetooth remotes and controllers that are constantly running when in standby. That is why pushing the PS button on the controller turns the system on when in standby mode. EDIT: You are right when you said the system uses 0-1 watts when shut off from behind.
yoyodan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yoyodan92
Member since 2005 • 251 Posts

"They" also want us to stop butchering animals, hunt, use fertilizer, and tons of other things that actually help our world. So I don't very much care for the opinions of "they". lol

umm how does hunting help the world? how does deforestation help the world?  how does testing on animals by cutting dogs eyes open while they are alive and not under anesthisia helping the world? is anyone saying using fertiliser is bad? these things dont help the world, they help humans. Humans arent the world mate, theres more to it than that. 

bluegender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bluegender
Member since 2006 • 1145 Posts

Are people on here really that lazy?.Just shut the system off when not in use...smh.

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MotherSuperior
yoyodan92

"They" also want us to stop butchering animals, hunt, use fertilizer, and tons of other things that actually help our world. So I don't very much care for the opinions of "they". lol

umm how does hunting help the world? how does deforestation help the world? how does testing on animals by cutting dogs eyes open while they are alive and not under anesthisia helping the world? is anyone saying using fertiliser is bad? these things dont help the world, they help humans. Humans arent the world mate, theres more to it than that.

"They" really cut dogs eyes open while they are alive? I feel sad now...
wolfblademusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 wolfblademusic
Member since 2003 • 1047 Posts

Are people on here really that lazy?.Just shut the system off when not in use...smh.

bluegender

1. Yes we are that lazy.

2. Well... if you shut it off on the back... your'e most likely going to end up lowering your console's life expectancy by causing power spikes.

kal915

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kal915
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

yoyodan92

umm how does hunting help the world? how does deforestation help the world? how does testing on animals by cutting dogs eyes open while they are alive and not under anesthisia helping the world? is anyone saying using fertiliser is bad? these things dont help the world, they help humans. Humans arent the world mate, theres more to it than that.

He said OUR world, not THE world. He was talking about our everyday life. Hunting helps control animal populations. In my opinion, testing on animals is always better than testing on humans.

topchefhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topchefhoe
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Mine is always off when I dont use it XD. It doesnt matter tho.
Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts

At the end of the day it's still using un-needed power so i turn it completely off.

PvtGump8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PvtGump8
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

[QUOTE="yoyodan92"]

kal915

Whats up with the necropost.