Does the Ps3 play Multi-region DVD's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sycosi (327 posts) -

Looking into ordering a few DVD's that I want, and can't get on Blu-Ray, and was wondering if the Ps3 is multi-region on DVD play back? I know that Blu-Rays discs are region coded and games aren't.

Cheers

#2 Posted by Deihmos (7819 posts) -
No.
#3 Posted by Ipik_Fenris (3627 posts) -
i think it CANT play multiregion DVDs...only Blu-Ray multiregion
#4 Posted by WalterPeck (371 posts) -
If you mean can it play DVD's and Blu-Ray movies that have a different region than the PS3, No. It can't. The only multi-region playback it does is PS3 games.
#5 Posted by Sycosi (327 posts) -

If you mean can it play DVD's and Blu-Ray movies that have a different region than the PS3, No. It can't. The only multi-region playback it does is PS3 games. WalterPeck

Boo! As I want to order South Park season 8 and 9 and they're not region 2. So that's out the window then! I know that the games aren't coded and that Blu-ray disc's are I just thought that regular DVD's from the USA etc might work. Oh well!

#6 Posted by jdang307 (1512 posts) -

i think it CANT play multiregion DVDs...only Blu-Ray multiregion Ipik_Fenris
It can't even play blu-ray mutliregion.

Note that Japan and US are in the same region for blu-ray, not DVDs.

#7 Posted by Sycosi (327 posts) -
Sorry guys but you're wrong. I've put x-men 3 and south park both of which are NTSC region 1 into my ps3 and they worked perfectly!! My ps3 is UK pal format too so by rights it shouldn't work. I guess ps3's are multi regional DVD players then!
#8 Posted by unr2 (52 posts) -
I ordered Planet Earth on Blu Ray and The Blue Planet on DVD, both from Amazon. So they both have US region coding, however, once I received the package, the ps3 only played the Blu rays, but for the dvd a message came up saying that the region is not compatible with the ps3, i have a PAL Australian ps3.
#9 Posted by rhythm2345 (25 posts) -
so can ps3 play regular dvds or what..cause im confused
#10 Posted by ultrassjstuart (25 posts) -

As far as i know it works like this:

PS3 Games: Region Free

PS2 Games: Region Locked

PS1 Games: Region Locked

Bluray Movies: Region Locked

DVD Movies: Region Free

I know this cause ive ordered and played several games from the US for PS3 and also some Region 1 DVDs (just watched Evangelion 1.0 which is region 1 and worked fine)

#11 Posted by veitnamdragon (25 posts) -

can the ps3 play the smaller disk the come with blue tooth, or smaller disk that comes with mp3 players an so on

#12 Posted by chris811 (25 posts) -
all usb drives work if you format the drive for fat32 ps3 cant read NTFS only FAT32
#13 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Hmmm... It would be sweet if my North American PS3 plays Region 3 DVD, I used to have a region unlock for my original PS2 and I used to buy Godzilla films from Hong Kong because they were English subtitled without the horrid dubbing (for awhile, it was the only way to get copies of certain G films). I shall have to try them when I get home. I would be VERY happy if they can be played. I never even thought to try!

#14 Posted by GTR12 (12563 posts) -

Stop bumping old threads.