Does PS3 Play PS2 games well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts
I was wondering because I have a big high def tv now, and really want to play PS2 games still, but they look so blurry and bad that its hardly worth it. Does the ps3 upconvert them or anything? and is it backwards compatible with all of them? thanks.
Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Unknown_Hero3
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Yes if you ps3 is Backwards Compatible...when did you get your ps3 and what size did you get?
Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
The 20gb, 60gb, and current 80gb models are backwards compatible. They all upconvert the PS2 games, and also have a smoothing feature. So while it will never look as good as a PS3 game, it does get some improvement.
lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts

Well, i havent bought it yet, I was wanting to pick one up here pretty soon for the Blu-ray. I realize it has to be bigger than the 40GB version to play ps2 games.

michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 michaeltiger
Member since 2006 • 629 Posts

The 20gb, 60gb, and current 80gb models are backwards compatible. They all upconvert the PS2 games, and also have a smoothing feature. So while it will never look as good as a PS3 game, it does get some improvement.The_Pig_Hostage

SCEE never released the PS3 20GB, PS3 60GB with EE chip and PS3 80GB with backward compatible.

The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Pig_Hostage

Well, i havent bought it yet, I was wanting to pick one up here pretty soon for the Blu-ray. I realize it has to be bigger than the 40GB version to play ps2 games.

lordlunch2

No, it's not that it has to be bigger - in fact, the future 80gb models will have no backwards compatibility - it's just that certain models have the necessary hardware for playing PS2 games, and others don't. Here's a chart about the different models:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
I have a launch 60gb PS3 and generally it does play PS2 games well. The only problems I've had are frame rate issues with MGS3 (especially during the fury boss fight) and Wipeout Fusion crashed every time I try to play it. I've tested dozens of PS2 games though and problems like those are definately in the minority.
michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 michaeltiger
[QUOTE="lordlunch2"]

The_Pig_Hostage

No, it's not that it has to be bigger - in fact, the future 80gb models will have no backwards compatibility - it's just that certain models have the necessary hardware for playing PS2 games, and others don't. Here's a chart about the different models:

In the link you posted it doesn't say anything that NTSC will lose or discontinue the PS3 80GB with BC it still says yes.

georged_3112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 georged_3112
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts

SINCE PS2 GAMES ARE NOT DEVELOPED IN HD-DEF, ITS OBVIOUS YOU'LL NEVER GET THE SAME QUALITY AS FROM A NORMAL PS3 GAME...

SO DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH...

THOUGH THE BEST AND FULLY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE VERSION IS THE 60GB, WHICH IS QUITE DIFFICULT TO FIND RIGHT NOW...

Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Unknown_Hero3
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

I have a launch 60gb PS3 and generally it does play PS2 games well. The only problems I've had are frame rate issues with MGS3 (especially during the fury boss fight) and Wipeout Fusion crashed every time I try to play it. I've tested dozens of PS2 games though and problems like those are definately in the minority.manicfoot

same thing happened to my brother while fighting the fury in MGS3....made it alot harder, but every other game was fine...

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
depends on the game. My GTA:Vice city stories does not sound or look good on my HDTV.
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Pig_Hostage
[QUOTE="The_Pig_Hostage"][QUOTE="lordlunch2"]

michaeltiger

In the link you posted it doesn't say anything that NTSC will lose or discontinue the PS3 80GB with BC it still says yes.

I didn't claim that it was being discontinued. I just said that there will be future models of that size which won't have BC.

Um_Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Um_Wut
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts
good luck trying to play MGS3 on an 80 gig. Lag, freezes, data curruption...you name it. Best hold on to your ps2 just in case. Because not all ps2 games work that great on the ps3.
michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 michaeltiger

Some memebers said that NTSC will lose PS3 80GB with BC but no one has shown any proof of where they heard it. It won't be fair the NTSC still has PS3 with BC, 4 USB ect while Europe lost it more than 1 year ago.

Not only that but SCEE has removed the page of the BC list games of PS1 and PS2 and they stopped improving the BC in the PS3 60GB. SCEA and SCEJ still has the PS3 Backward compatible list in their page but SCEE has removed it.

FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
First be sure that the model you get is BC. I currently have the first of the 80g PS3s and have had no trouble playing PS2 games. FFXII looks awesome and SOCOM3 Navy Seals delivers. Just have to make sure that the model is BC but there are some games that do not play or play well. Be sure to check out Sony's web support for BC games for the PS3 first.
Cegaiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cegaiga
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
I heard that you get better quality on the ps2 when playing the ps2 games rather on the ps3.
Avatar image for mistergamer2006
mistergamer2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mistergamer2006
Member since 2006 • 988 Posts

SINCE PS2 GAMES ARE NOT DEVELOPED IN HD-DEF, ITS OBVIOUS YOU'LL NEVER GET THE SAME QUALITY AS FROM A NORMAL PS3 GAME...

SO DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH...

THOUGH THE BEST AND FULLY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE VERSION IS THE 60GB, WHICH IS QUITE DIFFICULT TO FIND RIGHT NOW...

georged_3112

dude u gotta fix ur caps key! lol feel like ur screaming at us all!

berhaneric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 berhaneric
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts
yea it is better quality on the ps2 for ps2 games then ps3
Avatar image for mistergamer2006
mistergamer2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mistergamer2006
Member since 2006 • 988 Posts

yea it is better quality on the ps2 for ps2 games then ps3berhaneric

no u gotta mess with the settings... its actually better on the ps3

erica1633

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 erica1633
Member since 2005 • 210 Posts

Some memebers said that NTSC will lose PS3 80GB with BC but no one has shown any proof of where they heard it. It won't be fair the NTSC still has PS3 with BC, 4 USB ect while Europe lost it more than 1 year ago.

Not only that but SCEE has removed the page of the BC list games of PS1 and PS2 and they stopped improving the BC in the PS3 60GB. SCEA and SCEJ still has the PS3 Backward compatible list in their page but SCEE has removed it.

michaeltiger

Dude the 60 gb is fully Backwards compatible, i'm not sure what you're talking about the 20 gb and the 80 gb used emulation software so they are not fully backwards compatible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

I was wondering because I have a big high def tv now, and really want to play PS2 games still, but they look so blurry and bad that its hardly worth it. Does the ps3 upconvert them or anything? and is it backwards compatible with all of them? thanks.lordlunch2

If you buy the 80 gig that is out right now, it is PS1 and PS2 backwards compatible. The 40 gig is only PS1 compatible.

However, sony is going to be adding an 80 gig hard drive to the 40 gig sku, and then getting rid of the backwards compatible 80 gig model that is out now. So, by the end of the year there will only be one PS3 sku available...it will have an 80 gig HDD and NO BC for PS2 games.

The rumour is that Sony is phasing out BC and then will eventually add PS2 games to be downloaded via PSN. This way, if you want to play PS2 games, you either keep your PS2 or rebuy them on PSN. Then Sony saves money on hardware and possibly makes more money off PS2 digital downloads.

Granted, this is just a rumour, but the no more PS2 bc is legit.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

[QUOTE="berhaneric"]yea it is better quality on the ps2 for ps2 games then ps3mistergamer2006

all i know is the ps2 games look better on the ps2 when ur playing on an SDTV..if ur playing on an HDTV the games are gonna suck no matter if u play them on the ps2 or ps3(i was messing with the setting for like 20min doing different combinations an still looked blurry) and i haave a samsung HDTV with a "game mode" feature soo..

michaeltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 michaeltiger
[QUOTE="michaeltiger"]

erica1633

Dude the 60 gb is fully Backwards compatible, i'm not sure what you're talking about the 20 gb and the 80 gb used emulation software so they are not fully backwards compatible.

Ok I make it even more easier

NTSC
PS3 20GB NTSC only - has the full BC but missing wireless internet so you need wired internet, USA and Japan only
PS3 40GB out world wide - no BC, 2 USB, no card reader
PS3 60GB NTSC only - has full BC since it got the EE chip and graphich syncronizer
PS3 60GB PAL - SCEE removed the EE chip so we have worse BC than USA and Japan and here is the link where Sony says it http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/europe-gets-new-ps3-hardware-limited-backwards-compatibility/70087/?biz=1

PS3 80GB NTSC - the same like the PS3 60GB in the PAL region but they still had the choice to get the BC while SCEE removed BC in Europe for good which is why its not fair
PS3 80GB worldwide new - the same like the PS3 40GB

Europe has been without BC for more than 1 and a half year while USA still gets it, even though SCEA and SCEJ are going to stop making PS3 with BC they had many years with PS3 with backward compatible unlike Europe.

When USA stopped making the PS3 80Gb and then SCEA and SCEJ made the PS3 80GB return with the metal gear solid bundle SCEE should of gave us the PS3 80GB like USA with BC but no SCEE are the most stupid, annoying place I know SCEE don't want Europe to have the same thing like USA.

Sony is a great company game console but SCEE spoils it since they are stupid and annoying.

io7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 io7
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts
I tried ffxii on mine and it looks awful even with the ps2 data etc and all. I blame my tv not being able to be low tv lolz
io7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 io7
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts
[QUOTE="mistergamer2006"]

[QUOTE="berhaneric"]yea it is better quality on the ps2 for ps2 games then ps3LP4EVA2005

agreed!!!!! been there done that. No way in hell to make it look good. I even got a ps2 on the hdtv and its baad. Kinda sad if you think about it? Man I wish I would have kept my old sd tv =(

all i know is the ps2 games look better on the ps2 when ur playing on an SDTV..if ur playing on an HDTV the games are gonna suck no matter if u play them on the ps2 or ps3(i was messing with the setting for like 20min doing different combinations an still looked blurry) and i haave a samsung HDTV with a "game mode" feature soo..