does oblivion really deserve its ratings?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

im thinking twice on purchasing oblivion goty edition, it has great reviews, but im not convinced when it comes to gameplay vids... so i need your advice on this matter...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
I hated it. Alot of people like it.
tidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tidan
Member since 2003 • 369 Posts
Meh i didn't like it, to each their own but i got about 10 hours in and was bored of it. I think because its so long its one of those games you have to probably play for 20 hours before you start getting really into it. I would recommend renting it first just to see if you like it, reviews are not always the best thing to go by.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

For 2 years ago? Sure it does. It was a great game when it came out, even with all the bugs. I have it for PC and PS3, but I must be honest....I only bought it on PS3 because the console was suffering a MAJOR game shortage at the time and I felt the need to support it. Keep in mind, you are probably having issue with the game since there are many other superior titles available now. Try to keep it in perspective. But if you don't like the game, there is nothing I can do to change that. To each his own they say.

EDIT: My bad, sometimes it makes sense to read the TC's post eh? You have not owned the game yet. Why not give it a try man? It is rather cheap these days. IF you don't like it then ...meh, whatever. But you may find that you love it. Keep an open mind and make the choice for yourself!

Aerest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aerest
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
Despite the petty, loathsome, poor, absymal, pathetic combat system, the game's pretty good.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Meh. Its middle of the road for me. Dont Love it, dont hate it.
Handsome-Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Handsome-Dead
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts
A worthwhile investment I reckon, especially considering how cheap you'll be able to get it now. I had a lot of fun with it, still do on occassion, it's definitely value for money!
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
Oblivion was 250 of the best hours i've ever gamed.. worth every penny.
McMJ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9 McMJ3
Member since 2008 • 2441 Posts
From all the 'good' things I've heard about it I would probably buy it if there was nothing to play. But looking at 2009, that won't be anytime soon.
SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
I bought into the ratings also. I tried and tried to like this game, and some parts are good, but overall the game gets repetitive and boring. I'm having the same problem with Fallout 3. The only reason why people play these games for soooo many hours is because of traveling around and talking to people. There's some good to be had, I never finished the game, but will finish Fallout 3 because its not quite as boring.
Ekoh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ekoh13
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
imo its really boring, it may because of the crap combat, it may be because of the lack of direction i dunno i tried to like this game so many times but i just get bored so fast. I can see why some people love it but its just not my thing.
biribis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 biribis
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
no, it seriously doesn't deserve them. I was also tricked by its high ratings and ended up buying it. Now my copy of the game is getting dust and as its name says it is literally in the "oblivion":)
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Great action adventure game.Mediocre RPG.The whole 'The world levels up with you' thing was not the best thing in the world.Morrowind was alot better on an RPG standard.Better places to visit.Oblivion.And in Morrowind you got a feeling of acomplishment because the areas were alot harder to get past.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Absolutely.

Oblivion is one of the best and most value-packed games ever, and is very deserving of all of the praise lavished upon it.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 K1LLR3175

Absolutely.

Oblivion is one of the best and most value-packed games ever, and is very deserving of all of the praise lavished upon it.

nyc05
That spot is reserved for the Orange box.Oblivion may be ok,but it has nothing on the BOX.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts
[QUOTE="nyc05"]

Absolutely.

K1LLR3175

That spot is reserved for the Orange box.Oblivion may be ok,but it has nothing on the BOX.

I said Oblivion is 'one of the most...'. There is no "one and only spot".

Oblivion has nothing on The Orange Box? Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 K1LLR3175
[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"][QUOTE="nyc05"]

Absolutely.

nyc05

I said Oblivion is 'one of the most...'. There is no "one and only spot".

Oblivion has nothing on The Orange Box? Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yeah opinions.Oblivion was fun but like I said nowhere near as good as Morrowind.The whole game seemed so damn dumbed down and easy.I believe morrowind had more skills,spells and interesting places to see.You are right.Oblivion is a good deal especially for 40 bucks..
ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts
i dunno if its just me, but i liked it, alot... for the first hour or so. then i just got bored with it.
baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

I hated it. Alot of people like it.avataraang1
this...

I mean there IS ALOT TO DO... but to me it was so boring to do them

swoosh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 swoosh18
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts
when i first got it i was addicted for months. then randomly quit for a year. the all of a sudden recently got addicted again and finally created a new player after finally beating the story mode. incredible game
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

it's definitely worth it, tons of things to do, and you'll find your self at 150 hours in no time.

mack10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mack10
Member since 2002 • 12394 Posts

im thinking twice on purchasing oblivion goty edition, it has great reviews, but im not convinced when it comes to gameplay vids... so i need your advice on this matter...

taplok
I hate the game personally and my main gripe with it was gameplay (i played it over 50 hours and this is my opinion). I can name a lot of good things about the game, but gameplay drags it down big time for me because its just too simplistic and not fun at all + the bad guys level up with you and the game gets harder and harder as you level up (so its technically easier to stay at level one instead of levelling up and you have that choice in the game).
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
It's awesome.
Avatar image for XPrivateRyan22X
XPrivateRyan22X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 XPrivateRyan22X
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

taplok
Its one of the best games ever made, but it isn't for everyone.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
It's not for everyone, I really think it's a love it or hate it game, no middle ground. I personally loved it, clocked over 200 hours on it.
jay_883

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jay_883
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
It's a fine game indeed, definitely deserving of it's high scores. But who cares about scores, if you like wrpg's at all I'm sure you will like this game.
Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

it's definitely worth it, tons of things to do, and you'll find your self at 150 hours in no time.

supa_badman
I dunno I found it a good base game lacking the final touchs to make it a worthwhile game. For me it was way too repetitive. I liked it for abou the first 30 hours then i felt like there was nothing left for me to do, i had awesome weapons, the money became useless. I will say I was wowed when i first came out of the sewers, first time ive been wowed in many years But I would say give it a go, you will either love it or hate it.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 K1LLR3175
[QUOTE="taplok"]

mack10
I hate the game personally and my main gripe with it was gameplay (i played it over 50 hours and this is my opinion). I can name a lot of good things about the game, but gameplay drags it down big time for me because its just too simplistic and not fun at all + the bad guys level up with you and the game gets harder and harder as you level up (so its technically easier to stay at level one instead of levelling up and you have that choice in the game).

Exactly.It made no sense why they did it.That was the worst part about the game.The leveling up system and the gameplay.It seemed more button masher.Just hit the right trigger until the enemy goes down. There really was no reason for Skills.Like Why was there a security skill if the mini game was simplistic as heck.Same thing goes for Speechcraft in oblivion.Most of the time it was just so much easier to bribe people.Alot of things they could have done better.