Does anyone else just get burnt out by these giant open-world games?

#1 Edited by elysse77 (2 posts) -

Hello everyone,

So I recently started playing AC Odyssey, and it just is too overwhelming. I open up my quest log and I just see menial tasks again and again; none of it is enjoyable or worth my time as a player; it feels like just busy work with awkward dialogue and characters I have no interest at all in. The gameplay is great sure, and the game looks beautiful, but the game in some way just feels boring, almost lifeless.NoxVidMateMobdro

I guess what I'm trying to get at is these AAA open-world games are just getting so repetitive year after year... how many bandit camps or fetch quests can I do before I just give up? It's weird because I absolutely love the open-world genre, but developers need to make me invested in why I'm even playing your game. Every environment looks the exact same, the map is just gigantic for the sake of it, not for any reasonable gameplay decision to respect the player's time. It's come to the point where I don't even want to start up the game because it's just content overload. Odyssey is the video game equivalent of modern superhero movies (no offense to Marvel fans).

Unpopular opinion I know, but we've reached a point where games are sacrificing quality for quantity... I'd 100% rather have half the amount of side quests and main missions and a much smaller map if that meant content I actually care about.

Thank you!

#2 Posted by Sevenizz (3633 posts) -

I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t like RPGs. Open world or not (aren’t they all open world?).

#3 Posted by Coolyfett (5975 posts) -

The games are designed to steal a lot of your time. They create games hoping to keep you from playing other games. Rockstar & Bioware are to blame. All the other devs are attempting to do what they do. Create a world you dont want to leave and one you want to accomplish a lot in. Often times players want to play as many games as they can, but these new open world RPG games prevent this.

#4 Posted by DaVillain- (36052 posts) -

I been playing open-world games for years and still not even getting burned out. To be honest, open-world games adds more value for the money I pay for and take Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt for example, it took me 3 months to beat it when it launch. Now that's what I called a true value for the money and I want to play more of an even bigger open-world games like that. Even Horizon: Zero Dawn gave me the satisfaction value for the money.

#5 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18697 posts) -

@elysse77: I absolutely agree... I'm very turned off by open world games nowadays.

#6 Posted by DoomNukem3D (172 posts) -

I'd rather play a game that's short but refined and trimmed of fat, than one thats long, full of content, but a good chunk of it is busy work and needles wandering around thrown in just to extend playtime.

#7 Edited by DoomNukem3D (172 posts) -

@Sevenizz: They are not all open world and rpg can be a bit of a loose term since you have turn based RPGs, action RPGs, and games that try to be a blend of both.

Also not all open world games are rpgs.

#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18697 posts) -

@doomnukem3d said:

I'd rather play a game that's short but refined and trimmed of fat, than one thats long, full of content, but a good chunk of it is busy work and needles wandering around thrown in just to extend playtime.

Exactly.

The perfect example I've brought up before is that I got just as much enjoyment/satisfaction out of a 2-3 hour game like Inside, as I did a 60-70+ hour game like Red Dead 2. As much as I really liked RDR2, I think it would've been a better game if they just trimmed the fat a little.

#9 Posted by DoomNukem3D (172 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: Also personally I've probably put more time in a lot of my favorite shorter games than I have longer games since I tend to replay them a lot more.

#10 Posted by SoNin360 (7071 posts) -

While it's generally my go-to genre, I understand the sentiment. They often boil to just running around a map, collecting things, and completing variations of the same type of activity. Sometimes, I don't mind doing that. Other times I need to switch up genres, but overall I like having the freedom to explore games. I don't find anything inherently wrong with more linear games, I just prefer to explore games and complete them at my own pace. And open world games are perfect for that. Some are obviously better than others, but I'll take a mediocre open world game over a mediocre linear game.

#11 Posted by cyberpunk_2077 (588 posts) -

I think they are overdone nowadays. There are certain ones that are done well and as such I don't mind them.

However, Ubisoft generally has the more tedious and meaningless games based on open world platform these days.

I do agree however that you certainly get your monies worth in 'quality' playtime.

I don't play games hours on end and tend to play here and there which probably also makes a difference.

#12 Posted by SaltSlasher (1003 posts) -

The last few big games like that, yes I got burnt out towards the end.

In AC Origins, I was playing game with intention of getting every achievement, and basically cleaned up majority of the map doing all that basic work, and started avoiding side missions. Then I got to this point where I had to head north into an area I haven't been and basically butt rushed the last 10% of the game and finished that night, cause I just didn't want to bother anymore.

#13 Edited by Coolyfett (5975 posts) -

@davillain- said:

I been playing open-world games for years and still not even getting burned out. To be honest, open-world games adds more value for the money I pay for and take Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt for example, it took me 3 months to beat it when it launch. Now that's what I called a true value for the money and I want to play more of an even bigger open-world games like that. Even Horizon: Zero Dawn gave me the satisfaction value for the money.

Are you able to focus on other games while playing these are do you only concentrate one game at a time? Just curious about this with other players as well.

#14 Posted by Robbie23 (319 posts) -

I feel like God of War did the open world style perfect. I usually get bored of open world games quickly, but GoW had me engaged the whole way through even the side quests were pretty much full levels.

#15 Posted by npiet1 (2090 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@doomnukem3d said:

Exactly.

The perfect example I've brought up before is that I got just as much enjoyment/satisfaction out of a 2-3 hour game like Inside, as I did a 60-70+ hour game like Red Dead 2. As much as I really liked RDR2, I think it would've been a better game if they just trimmed the fat a little.

I havn't played RDR2 but if its anything like the first, I could have a cig and just be almost there. It's horrible.

#16 Posted by DoomNukem3D (172 posts) -

@npiet1: I didnt like the first RDR either and despite the massive praise RDR 2 is getting I'm not in a hurry to play it, it sounds like it suffers from the same issues based on what I've heard.

#17 Edited by DaVillain- (36052 posts) -

@Coolyfett said:
@davillain- said:

Are you able to focus on other games while playing these are do you only concentrate one game at a time? Just curious about this with other players as well.

It really depends what I'm in the mood playing but on my PC, I only install 20 games at a time though and I have bad habits of playing multiple games but I only do heavy gaming during my days off work. Gaming is my only hobby making it easier to get my games complete while not being distracted despite I have a family to care for.

If it's a game I'm really engaging and it's way more fun, I tend to focus on that game first before I do anything else. But at times, I'll take a break maybe 3 days and return playing were I left off and Witcher 3 for example took me 3 months to beat because I kept exploring the maps and I was hardly playing anything else but Witcher 3 so I can complete it. Gaming is my passion, so it's normally not that hard to be distracted cause I'm good at doing multiple stuff on my PC. I own a Switch as well and I only play it when I'm out of the house making it much easier to play the exclusive without being distracted at home.

You just gotta learn to balance how you play and playing other games that works for you.

#18 Posted by Solaryellow (4809 posts) -

RDR2. As of yet I am still progressing because there is so much to do borderline too much to do. As such I can only play it for an hour or two because every time I am appearing to progress, more things appear side mission or not. IMO it is 10x's what it was in GTA IV & V.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#19 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (221 posts) -

I played too many of them, and now have burned out so I am anything for the nice and linear lol, but a good open world rpg can't escape my eye. Spiderman I think was the last of them that I was going to play, looking at indies now.