Do you think we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

Capcom annouced that they want to give the HD treatment to other older titles by March 2016 which is great news. Resident Evil 0 is a given, but what about full blown remakes of older Resident Evil games? I think the success of the Resident Evil Remake HD shows Capcom that this series is alive and well. I personally think the chances of a full blown remake of Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica is a given, but what does everyone else think? There are some reports that the RE 2 remake is already in developement, but who knows whats really going on.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

I don't know, Ud be surprised how stupid the decisions makers can be, so just cause we want it, don't be surprised when they refuse to give it to us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@i-rock-socks said:

I don't know, Ud be surprised how stupid the decisions makers can be, so just cause we want it, don't be surprised when they refuse to give it to us.

I think it is highly possible because it's not secret that Capcom has fallen off big time- they haven't made a Mega Man game in 5 years and while Monster Hunter is huge in Japan, it isn't quite a big deal here. Their next Street Fighter seems to be a PS4 exclusive so it would make me think that they would focus on their current best series which is definitely Resident Evil. Both Resident Evil Remastered HD and Resident Evil Revelations 2 got great reviews and sold extremely well; so well in fact that the sales drastically exceeded Capcom's expectations. Like I mentioned previously, I think it's a given that we are going to get Resident Evil 0 in HD, but I would not be surprised if future Resident Evil games used the same formula from past entries: Fixed camera angles, inventory management, and puzzles galore. If they did a full blown remake of Resident Evil 2, I personally think the game would sell like crazy and with a ton of success, what would stop Capcom from remastering 3 or Code Veronica? Resident Evil Remaster HD has sold over 1.1 million copies which is insane. These sales figures prove that there are still a ton of diehard fans out there that are willing to pay for older RE games. The first Revelations was Capcom's first step in the right direction because 4 was good, 5 was ok and 6 was terrible. People love to sing praises about RE 4, but I've always had a love hate relationship with that game because it systematically ruined the entire franchise. Instead of getting scary games with creepy atomospheres, we started getting action flick themed games that reminded me of the terrible movies.

REfan1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 REfan1987
Member since 2005 • 327 Posts

I really hope so. RE2 was my favorite of the series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@REfan1987 said:

I really hope so. RE2 was my favorite of the series.

The first Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 are tied in my book for my favorite games of the franchise.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

They should just go ahead and do a trilogy! RE3 was my overall favorite though.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I would love to see a RE 2 and RE 3 remaster, they are both really great games! I liked RE2, but man, RE3 with the random nemesis attacks was just awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Capcom has the potential to make a killing and I think the fan support it there for remasters of 2, 3 and CV. It would truly be epic.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Samslayer

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: I think Code Veronica could make an absolute killing, it has the RE name, but it seemed as if not as many people gave it a go. This would be like a new RE experience for many.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Samslayer said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: I think Code Veronica could make an absolute killing, it has the RE name, but it seemed as if not as many people gave it a go. This would be like a new RE experience for many.

Well a lot of people have experienced Code Veronica X or the terrible HD remaster which are both garbage. The best one was on Dream Cast and not a lot of people got to play it.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Samslayer

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: I agree the Dreamcast version is the one I have, it is a great game!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: No (for various technical and studio reasons), but it would be cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@SolidTy said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: No (for various technical and studio reasons), but it would be cool.

Studio and technical reasons? Care to explain? I think a remake of Resident Evil 2 is highly probable at this point given the success of the Resident Evil Remake.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SolidTy

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:
@SolidTy said:

Studio and technical reasons? Care to explain? I think a remake of Resident Evil 2 is highly probable at this point given the success of the Resident Evil Remake.

REmake 2 HD is not going to happen, but I wish it would.

Your question indicates that you don't know much about REmake's history, Shinji Mikami, and the many RE and talented developers that Capcom lost internally, including Clover.

Capcom cheaply ported a GC game and remastered it. They did NOT create a new game from the ground up with REmake remaster HD (lol) as they would have to do with an RE2 or RE3, but as I said, I wish they would. They also don't have the same talent intact, letting genius level talent like Hideki Kamiya of RE2 fame, Shinji Mikami of RE1/RE4 fame, and many others leave Capcom.

They would need a visionary to take the task up and sadly internally they don't have the people to get RE2 Remake. For the record, REmake remake HD isn't the same as the PS1 RE1 classic, which also makes it special because those that beat RE1 on PS1 and then played the GC REmake got a lot of new surprises. CAPCOM will release RE0 though HD though, that's easy. It's just GC code they can reuse like they did for REmake HD.

I would recommend boning up on Capcom history and for the record, I own every single RE title across PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and the recent HD releases.

You seem defensive as if you think I'm personally against the game or I'm canceling the game. I'm not against you, I wish REmake 2 HD and more would happen...BUT i know too much about CAPCOM and I know better. I can tell you are very excited and would love better news, and I wish I wasn't the bearer of bad news...Don't kill the messenger.

What I wish and what I know are two different things. If you want, I could pretend to not know anything over the last twenty years and tell you that I can't wait for REmake 2 HD to release because the sales point to probability...but that's just not what I know. What I know about Capcom, I actively follow my favorite developers, and other franchises from Capcom could fill a book on stories and what I know. This is a tiny forum. Do you know who directed and developed RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV before my post? Don't answer, it's hypothetical. You aren't being shamed, most gamers I meet (99%) don't know jack about developers and follow brand names. Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Ball Z, Tekken, God of War, etc. Other than Miyamoto and Kojima, I don't hear a lot about developers from regular gamers. They love games, but they have no idea about the developers behind their favorite games (Unless marketing teams inform them, like "Titanfall, from the creators of COD!!!! or Destiny from the creators of HALO!!!!") Well, take it from me the talent that could make REmake 2 HD an amazing reality has left Capcom and I was sad years ago when it happened. Then add in the assets and time of recreating RE2 piece by piece as Shinji Mikami painstakingly did with his team for GC back then, and you have a giant job in store for a studio and no visionary to lead the pack. Remake 0 is another easy peasy port from GC that Capcom will release because the work is done and they just have to slap HD on it.

Hiring Platinum would be a great solution, but Capcom and Platinum have a huge history and it's been long enough that now Mikami is no longer at Platinum, and Kamiya is busy with Scalebound (not to mention he may never work for Capcom again depending on how he feels).

Capcom is going to work on RE7 instead with the few resources they have in place.

I'm just telling you politely that based on the many pieces of evidence we have since the 1990's for RE fans that have been paying attention to the news all those years (if you were a child in the 1990's, I wasn't, you weren't watching the news intently the way you as an adult would follow the news today), saw the transformation of Clover to Platinum, and many other situations internally like Capcom outsourcing their games to western studios...it doesn't look good. CAPCOM has gone cheap, they are hurting. One of my all time favorite companies have gone down so low, like Konami, and the REmake remaster was just a nice way for Capcom to get some extra $$$ because they have the GC code laying around.

Personally, I would LOVE REmake 2, REmake 3, REmake Code Veronica X, etc. Especially REmake 2 as it was my favorite of the franchise for many years. However, I came in this thread to answer your question posed at the top of the screen (Do you think we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake?). I answered it. I would tell you to expect RE0 HD though, since that's easy money just like REmake HD is. The work is done by the previous amazing Capcom developers and all they have to do is port it for easy dough.

Assuming Capcom got the talent and visionary in place, considering the amount of time, money, and resources it would take to craft REmake 2, the game would have to sell as a full retail game at $60. People just got an HD REmake for $20 and quite frankly those consumers aren't going to want to pay $60 for REmake 2 (and that's under the dubious hypothetical Capcom had the talent to do REmake 2 HD justice which they don't). It's way to risky trying to explain to consumers why REmake 2 HD was more expensive.

It's much easier to get RE7 pumped out the door for $60 with DLC options and call it a day. If you haven't noticed though, RE6 wasn't the bees Knees due to the talent exodus.

This is already too long and I shortened it. Bottom-line, I answered your question, "Do you think we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake?"

My answer was:

No (for various technical and studio reasons), but it would be cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

it is true that they have lost a lot of their talent, but losing their old talent wouldn't really mean that they couldn't do a remake of Resident Evil 2. I was a business major and I can tell you that Capcom was testing the market with the Resident Evil Remaster HD release. They were trying to see if a game in the style of the Resident Evil remake was still relavent and it became their fastest selling digital release in history. I am guessing within the next near that they will bring us a Resident Evil 0 HD remaster as well and then they probably plan on one of two things: They will either make a new Resident Evil game in the style of the older games i.e. fixed camera angles, inventory management etc, or they will remake one of the older titles which I can only assume would be Resident Evil 2. Think about it- The story and core gameplay didn't really change in the Resident Evil remake. All they really did was redesign parts of the mansion, add an insane amount of detail and drastically beef up the graphics, which by all means does not require genius level talent. Resident Evil is Capcom's biggest franchise of all time so it would be dumb at least from a business point of view not to make money off of it. Resident Evil 2 has sold over 6 million copies and is one of Capcom's highest selling games of all time. If they made a remake similar to how they made the Resident Evil remake it would make a killing. If it made a killing I am sure other remakes would follow. Capcom really needs to make a statement because even though Resident Evil was a comerical success, it was panned by critics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@SolidTy said:
@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:
@SolidTy said:

REmake 2 HD is not going to happen, but I wish it would.

Your question indicates that you don't know much about REmake's history, Shinji Mikami, and the many RE and talented developers that Capcom lost internally, including Clover.

Capcom cheaply ported a GC game and remastered it. They did NOT create a new game from the ground up with REmake remaster HD (lol) as they would have to do with an RE2 or RE3, but as I said, I wish they would. They also don't have the same talent intact, letting genius level talent like Hideki Kamiya of RE2 fame, Shinji Mikami of RE1/RE4 fame, and many others leave Capcom.

They would need a visionary to take the task up and sadly internally they don't have the people to get RE2 Remake. For the record, REmake remake HD isn't the same as the PS1 RE1 classic, which also makes it special because those that beat RE1 on PS1 and then played the GC REmake got a lot of new surprises. CAPCOM will release RE0 though HD though, that's easy. It's just GC code they can reuse like they did for REmake HD.

I would recommend boning up on Capcom history and for the record, I own every single RE title across PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and the recent HD releases.

You seem defensive as if you think I'm personally against the game or I'm canceling the game. I'm not against you, I wish REmake 2 HD and more would happen...BUT i know too much about CAPCOM and I know better. I can tell you are very excited and would love better news, and I wish I wasn't the bearer of bad news...Don't kill the messenger.

What I wish and what I know are two different things. If you want, I could pretend to not know anything over the last twenty years and tell you that I can't wait for REmake 2 HD to release because the sales point to probability...but that's just not what I know. What I know about Capcom, I actively follow my favorite developers, and other franchises from Capcom could fill a book on stories and what I know. This is a tiny forum. Do you know who directed and developed RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV before my post? Don't answer, it's hypothetical. You aren't being shamed, most gamers I meet (99%) don't know jack about developers and follow brand names. Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Ball Z, Tekken, God of War, etc. Other than Miyamoto and Kojima, I don't hear a lot about developers from regular gamers. They love games, but they have no idea about the developers behind their favorite games (Unless marketing teams inform them, like "Titanfall, from the creators of COD!!!! or Destiny from the creators of HALO!!!!") Well, take it from me the talent that could make REmake 2 HD an amazing reality has left Capcom and I was sad years ago when it happened. Then add in the assets and time of recreating RE2 piece by piece as Shinji Mikami painstakingly did with his team for GC back then, and you have a giant job in store for a studio and no visionary to lead the pack. Remake 0 is another easy peasy port from GC that Capcom will release because the work is done and they just have to slap HD on it.

Hiring Platinum would be a great solution, but Capcom and Platinum have a huge history and it's been long enough that now Mikami is no longer at Platinum, and Kamiya is busy with Scalebound (not to mention he may never work for Capcom again depending on how he feels).

Capcom is going to work on RE7 instead with the few resources they have in place.

I'm just telling you politely that based on the many pieces of evidence we have since the 1990's for RE fans that have been paying attention to the news all those years (if you were a child in the 1990's, I wasn't, you weren't watching the news intently the way you as an adult would follow the news today), saw the transformation of Clover to Platinum, and many other situations internally like Capcom outsourcing their games to western studios...it doesn't look good. CAPCOM has gone cheap, they are hurting. One of my all time favorite companies have gone down so low, like Konami, and the REmake remaster was just a nice way for Capcom to get some extra $$$ because they have the GC code laying around.

Personally, I would LOVE REmake 2, REmake 3, REmake Code Veronica X, etc. Especially REmake 2 as it was my favorite of the franchise for many years. However, I came in this thread to answer your question posed at the top of the screen (Do you think we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake?). I answered it. I would tell you to expect RE0 HD though, since that's easy money just like REmake HD is. The work is done by the previous amazing Capcom developers and all they have to do is port it for easy dough.

Assuming Capcom got the talent and visionary in place, considering the amount of time, money, and resources it would take to craft REmake 2, the game would have to sell as a full retail game at $60. People just got an HD REmake for $20 and quite frankly those consumers aren't going to want to pay $60 for REmake 2 (and that's under the dubious hypothetical Capcom had the talent to do REmake 2 HD justice which they don't). It's way to risky trying to explain to consumers why REmake 2 HD was more expensive.

It's much easier to get RE7 pumped out the door for $60 with DLC options and call it a day. If you haven't noticed though, RE6 wasn't the bees Knees due to the talent exodus.

This is already too long and I shortened it. Bottom-line, I answered your question, "Do you think we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake?"

My answer was:

No (for various technical and studio reasons), but it would be cool.

Yeah I realize what has been going on, but I still believe that we will get a remake before we get Resident Evil 7, I know that's a bold statement, but it is just something that I believe in. Resident Evil 6 made a ton of money, but the problem was that everyone hated it. I am not being defensive, but you are pointing out all of the reasons why Capcom won't do it and I am pointing out all of the reasons why they will. We seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum here and you must realize that I am a huge optimist. The Resident Evil Remake was a disaster when it was first released because of Capcom's exclusive deal with Nintendo. They literally could have sold 5 times more if it would have been on PlayStation 2, but Capcom made one of the worse business deals of the century by developing a heavy Mature rated game on a console designed for kids. (Resident Evil 0 Also suffered from this deal and I think it only sold like 1.5 million units or something close to that). You keep saying they need a visionary, but the truth is that they don't. The team that made the Resident Evil remake was a completely different team from the people who made the original with the only similarities being that Shinji Mikami directed both and that Makoto Tomozawa was one of the many composers for both games. All they really need to do is hire an amazing director and the rest will fall into place. Also, even though I would take them with a grain of salt, there have been reports that Capcom is considering a remake because of the success of the Resident Evil Remaster HD. I am really not trying to argue with you, but I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about who loves the Resident Evil franchise more, but all I am going to say is that you gotta have hope man. Resident Evil is my favorite franchise of all time and I have been playing and following these games since 1998 when I was 12 years old. I've played all of the games (even Resident Evil Gaiden), I have read all the books and I am also writing my own Resident Evil novel. We both love this franchise and we are both are entitled to our own opinions, but the fact of the matter is that none of us really know what is going to happen. We are just using the evidence before us to make educated guesses, but both of us could be way off. I personally think Capcom knows that the Resident Evil name is where the money is and that they will do whatever it takes to make this franchise great again by doing everything short of a franchise reboot and we both know that a remake is a more likely scenario then a reboot.

I also want to add that your asumptions about consumers are incorrect. Consumers, especially fans of Resident Evil, would be more than willing to pay $60 for a Resident Evil 2 remake because it would be a completely different game. When Doom 3 was released it was essentially a reboot of the franchise and it was sold at the full retail price for a game. When Tomb Raider got remade, it was sold at $60. In additon, the Resident Evil remake was sold for the full retail price, but the only reason it was lacking in sales was because it was released on the GameCube. The GameCube, like I have mentioned previously, was geared towards children and Capcom should have known better. The GameCube was the least successful home gaming console of that generation and it only sold 22 million units vs the Sony PlayStation 2 which sold over 150 million units. Prior to the GameCube release of the Resident Evil remake, Capcom released Resident Evil 2 on N64 and Resident Evil Gaiden on Gameboy which both flopped. (I think Gaiden didn't even break 10k units sold.) Capcom screwed up by releasing exclusive Resident Evil games on a Nintendo platform and they are dumb for scratching their heads trying to figure out what happened. (If it was a multi-platform release, we would have had the Resident Evil 2 remake already). I am sure you know this, but since the Resident Evil remake was such a commercial failure, Capcom decided to stray away from its survival horror roots and the Resident Evil that we know and loved changed into a dumb action game. With the current release, its true that consumers paid $20 for the Resident Evil Remaster HD, but I'd be willing to bet that they would pay $35 (possibly even more) for that game which is 13 years old. The bottom line is that consumers are willing to pay a full retail price for a remade game, but an HD remaster is a different story. Now after Resident Evil 6, consumers would probably be less willing to pay for Resident Evil 7 so at least from a business point of view, a Resident Evil 2 remake is a safer bet. Give consumers something that you will know they will love and you will get money. Let's just say Capcom does a full blown remake of Resident Evil 2 and they release it on XBox One, PS4, Wii U and PC. It would probably be the best selling Resident Evil game of all time.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

yes i do.. Resident Evil HD Remake sold incredibly well and is now Capcom's fastest selling digital title. I think we will see Resident Evil Zero happen first though.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19561 Posts

I think we are more likely to see more cheap ports of last-gen titles (last gen consoles had versions of REmake, RE0, RE4, RE5 and RE6).

Capcom is struggling financially. I can see them doing more episodic games, more ports, or the ocassional big shooter chasing the mass market (like the most recent RE games)...but I can't see them investing a lot of money remaking a pure survival horror game from scratch.

The HD port of REmake (if it sold well) suggests more ports, not remakes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Planeforger said:

I think we are more likely to see more cheap ports of last-gen titles (last gen consoles had versions of REmake, RE0, RE4, RE5 and RE6).

Capcom is struggling financially. I can see them doing more episodic games, more ports, or the ocassional big shooter chasing the mass market (like the most recent RE games)...but I can't see them investing a lot of money remaking a pure survival horror game from scratch.

The HD port of REmake (if it sold well) suggests more ports, not remakes.

Capcom's financial struggles are more of a hyperbole than anything else. 10 months ago they reported good profit margins even though they hadn't released any major title around that time. They are killing it with the Resident Evil HD Remaster (over 1 million units sold) and they are killing it with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (which has already surprassed 3 million units sold). In additon, Resident Evil Revelations 2 is also doing fairly well. Also the HD remaster isn't a port. A port is taking a game using the exact same code and transfering it from one console to the next. It is extremely cheap and in the process the game is not changed at all. HD remasters are quite different, people actually go into the game itself and upscale the textures and character models to (or close to) HD. The graphics in the new HD version of the remake when compared to the original are drastically improved.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/02/resident-evil-ps4-vs-gamecube-graphics-comparison#

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3630 Posts

I love RE2 and think it would be awesome as long as it plays like REmake with the option for a control setup like RE4. It would look amazing in HD and updated graphics even voice acting.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Re drawing all that stuff seems like a big effort--new game size effort.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Heirren: It would be a tremendous effort, but it could be one of the best selling video games ever. The orginal Resident Evil 2 is one of Capcom's best selling video games of all time and to date has sold over 6 million copies.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

No, while I see Capcom giving the HD treatment to more games doing so with a PS1 game would be a lot of work. I only see them doing Xbox/PS2/GC and up.

While RE HD has done well, I don't think it's enough for Capcom to start remaking other RE games(and other PS1 titles like Dino Crisis 1-2, etc) from the ground up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

No, while I see Capcom giving the HD treatment to more games doing so with a PS1 game would be a lot of work. I only see them doing Xbox/PS2/GC and up.

While RE HD has done well, I don't think it's enough for Capcom to start remaking other RE games(and other PS1 titles like Dino Crisis 1-2, etc) from the ground up.

Resident Evil is Capcom's flagship franchise. People ask, what happened to Dino Crisis, Devil May Cry and Onimusha? Well those games never really sold that great. The entire Dino Crisis series did the worst and sold just under 4 million units. The entire Devil May Cry franchise sold just over 14 million units, and the Onimusha series has just sold around 7 million units. As an entire franchise, Resident Evil has sold over 60 million units worldwide which is crazy. Hell alone, Resident Evil 2 sold over 6 million units. If you look at the numbers and from what the fans are asking, there isn't a want for Resident Evil 7, there is a want for remakes, especially a Resident Evil 2 remake. I am not saying it is going to be easy, but I know it will make Capcom a ton of money. If they did a true remake of Resident Evil 2, 3 and possible Code Veronica in the style of the Resident Evil remake, they would be critically acclaimed games and they would sell well period. I know I always point to the Resident Evil Remaster HD, but that game is some 13 years old and it has sold well over 1 million units. People are tired of the action Resident Evil games, and even though the sales are great, from a critic standpoint, the reviews have been getting worse and worse. Resident Evil 6 was an embarassment and Capcom knows this.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

RE 5/6 are still the best selling games in the series though with 6.8/6.2 million though. I hope it could but I don't think an RE2 remake would match that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

RE 5/6 are still the best selling games in the series though with 6.8/6.2 million though. I hope it could but I don't think an RE2 remake would match that.

Globably Resident Evil 5 sold over 8 million copies between 3 major systems. Resident Evil 2 sold just over 6 million units, which is extremely impressive for a game that came out in 1998. Resident Evil 6 has only sold just over 5 million units and it did not outsell Resident Evil 2. Resident Evil 6 is considered the worst Resident Evil ever created and that's why we haven't gotten Resident Evil 7 yet. Capcom is most likely thinking about a lot of decisions that need to be made right now, and I am willing to wager that some are those decisions include remakes or making new games with older mechanics.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I really hope so. Would love to play RE again since the new ones suck.

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

What makes you think its going to take too much money? They already got most of the resources... I think its more than likely it will happen...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@hyksiu: People are just in denial I guess. When they remade Resident Evil, 70% of the original game was still intact. If they did something similar to the Resident Evil 2 remake, that would be a lot cheaper than making Resident Evil 7 from the ground up. Information is scarce, but it is assumed that Resident Evil 6's budget was in the 100 million dollar range.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I hope yes i buy Re Zero next year i miss old RE gameplay and atmosphere

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-is-planning-more-hd-remasters/1100-6427410/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@MethodManFTW said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-is-planning-more-hd-remasters/1100-6427410/

Yeah I know that, but I am not talking about HD remasters here, I am talking about full blown remakes of past entries.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Interesting answers. I agree with the sentiment that it's unlikely to happen even though I would love to see it. The Re-make was created back when HD updates of older games were still more fashionable and Nintendo was looking for ways to flesh out the Gamecube's library (Twin Snakes, the MGS 1 HD update, came out around the same time). These are not in vogue as they once were, and RE2 is one of the pre RE4 games that has the anachronistic gameplay that Capcom has been trying to move away from. As mentioned, we got the recent RE1 HD RE-make because the heavy lifting had already been done. There's no benefit to Capcom to make an updated version of this game. If they were to make an updated version and keep the existing gameplay it would appeal to a limited audience. If they actually did create a remake of RE2, they'd probably update it to be more like a "modern" RE game at which point it would end up bearing little to no resemblance to the original and would lack appeal for fans of the original. RE2 was an awesome game but it didn't have some great story that needed to be told, so if they don't carry the gameplay forward into a remake then there's not that much there worth remaking.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Byshop said:

Interesting answers. I agree with the sentiment that it's unlikely to happen even though I would love to see it. The Re-make was created back when HD updates of older games were still more fashionable and Nintendo was looking for ways to flesh out the Gamecube's library (Twin Snakes, the MGS 1 HD update, came out around the same time). These are not in vogue as they once were, and RE2 is one of the pre RE4 games that has the anachronistic gameplay that Capcom has been trying to move away from. As mentioned, we got the recent RE1 HD RE-make because the heavy lifting had already been done. There's no benefit to Capcom to make an updated version of this game. If they were to make an updated version and keep the existing gameplay it would appeal to a limited audience. If they actually did create a remake of RE2, they'd probably update it to be more like a "modern" RE game at which point it would end up bearing little to no resemblance to the original and would lack appeal for fans of the original. RE2 was an awesome game but it didn't have some great story that needed to be told, so if they don't carry the gameplay forward into a remake then there's not that much there worth remaking.

-Byshop

You do realize that it wouldn't just be an updated version of the game right? The Resident Evil Director's Cut was an updated version to the original Resident Evil. The Resident Evil remake was a full blown remake that not only changed the story, but added in a ton of new elements. All of the problems with the orignal title where completely fixed and even though about 60-70% of the game was based on the original game, everything was built from the ground up. If you compare the original with the remake they look like two completely different games (which they are).

The next Resident Evil title that Capcom makes will not be heavily influenced by action like Residnet Evil 4, 5 and 6 and surprisingly they are trying to get back into their horror roots. They have said this in multiple interviews. Also I disagree with you because Resident Evil 2 is worth revisiting. It was the longest Resident Evil with the most content (minus 6, but we all know that was terrible). It featured 4 completely different scenarios, 2 special hidden scenarios and and more unlockables than you could shake a stick at. Resident Evil might have been the title that created survival horror, but Resident Evil 2 is the game that made the series popular and put it on the map. It is the 2nd highest rated entry in the entire series (second only to RE4) and it also has the most sales in the history of the franchise second only to Resident Evil 5.

Also when they made the remake HD updates were not popular, they were unheard of because high definiton was not around during the GameCube generation.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Byshop  Moderator

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

You do realize that it wouldn't just be an updated version of the game right? The Resident Evil Director's Cut was an updated version to the original Resident Evil. The Resident Evil remake was a full blown remake that not only changed the story, but added in a ton of new elements. All of the problems with the orignal title where completely fixed and even though about 60-70% of the game was based on the original game, everything was built from the ground up. If you compare the original with the remake they look like two completely different games (which they are).

The next Resident Evil title that Capcom makes will not be heavily influenced by action like Residnet Evil 4, 5 and 6 and surprisingly they are trying to get back into their horror roots. They have said this in multiple interviews. Also I disagree with you because Resident Evil 2 is worth revisiting. It was the longest Resident Evil with the most content (minus 6, but we all know that was terrible). It featured 4 completely different scenarios, 2 special hidden scenarios and and more unlockables than you could shake a stick at. Resident Evil might have been the title that created survival horror, but Resident Evil 2 is the game that made the series popular and put it on the map. It is the 2nd highest rated entry in the entire series (second only to RE4) and it also has the most sales in the history of the franchise second only to Resident Evil 5.

Also when they made the remake HD updates were not popular, they were unheard of because high definiton was not around during the GameCube generation.

Well, there were some updates in RE:D but much of the content was just stuff that was cut from various localized releases (hence the name). Yes, the Re-make was a full blown remake but my point is that they had already put that effort in back when creating modern remakes of older games was more popular. My point is that the reason we got this recent HD version of that remake is because they had already done the heavy lifting. If they had to make it from scratch today, I doubt they would have bothered. When I said "HD updates" I just meant remaking for current (at the time) platforms, although if you want to get really semantic the GC supported 480p. High Def television absolutely was around in the early 2000s. Even the original Xbox supported up to 1080i.

RE-make was a complete overhaul but in a lot of ways it was still the same game. Much of the layout was the same, the story played out pretty similarly, the core mechanics were largely unchanged (tank controls, fixed camera angles, the same limited inventory system, ink ribbons, item crates, etc). The new stuff they added like the body burning mechanic was pretty cool and it was awesome that they redid literally every asset in the game

I do think RE2 could be awesome remade, I just don't think Capcom has enough incentive to create a new one from scratch because doing so would basically cost the same amount of money that they'd put into a brand new game. I think we'll probably see an HD Update of RE0 because that would be pretty easy for them to do but a full remake of a game like RE2, Nemesis or Veronica I don't think is all that likely (as much as I would enjoy them).

RE2 had an A and B scenario that could be played in different orders with different characters but the scenarios were largely the same (both As were pretty similar as were both Bs). You could power through each of those scenarios in a couple hours each, too. Also, it only had one hidden scenario that could be played with two characters. As for "more unlockables that you could shake a stick at" perhaps you could brush up on your stick shaking. RE2 had three unlockable weapons, or five unlockables if you count the Hunk/Tofu scenarios (which again were both the same thing but with different characters). Oh, plus the extra comstumes with the key you got from Brad. That's really not a lot.

Also, RE1 didn't invent the genre. It wasn't even the first pre-rendered backdrop with 3d figures horror game, although it start to popularize the genre. Alone in the Dark followed a very similar formula and had it beat by almost a decade.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Byshop said:
@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

Well, there were some updates in RE:D but much of the content was just stuff that was cut from various localized releases (hence the name). Yes, the Re-make was a full blown remake but my point is that they had already put that effort in back when creating modern remakes of older games was more popular. My point is that the reason we got this recent HD version of that remake is because they had already done the heavy lifting. If they had to make it from scratch today, I doubt they would have bothered. When I said "HD updates" I just meant remaking for current (at the time) platforms, although if you want to get really semantic the GC supported 480p. High Def television absolutely was around in the early 2000s. Even the original Xbox supported up to 1080i.

RE-make was a complete overhaul but in a lot of ways it was still the same game. Much of the layout was the same, the story played out pretty similarly, the core mechanics were largely unchanged (tank controls, fixed camera angles, the same limited inventory system, ink ribbons, item crates, etc). The new stuff they added like the body burning mechanic was pretty cool and it was awesome that they redid literally every asset in the game

I do think RE2 could be awesome remade, I just don't think Capcom has enough incentive to create a new one from scratch because doing so would basically cost the same amount of money that they'd put into a brand new game. I think we'll probably see an HD Update of RE0 because that would be pretty easy for them to do but a full remake of a game like RE2, Nemesis or Veronica I don't think is all that likely (as much as I would enjoy them).

RE2 had an A and B scenario that could be played in different orders with different characters but the scenarios were largely the same (both As were pretty similar as were both Bs). You could power through each of those scenarios in a couple hours each, too. Also, it only had one hidden scenario that could be played with two characters. As for "more unlockables that you could shake a stick at" perhaps you could brush up on your stick shaking. RE2 had three unlockable weapons, or five unlockables if you count the Hunk/Tofu scenarios (which again were both the same thing but with different characters). Oh, plus the extra comstumes with the key you got from Brad. That's really not a lot.

Also, RE1 didn't invent the genre. It wasn't even the first pre-rendered backdrop with 3d figures horror game, although it start to popularize the genre. Alone in the Dark followed a very similar formula and had it beat by almost a decade.

-Byshop

I don't know what you were trying to get with the GC supporting 480p because that is not HD resolution. It is true some Xbox games supported up to 1080i, but it was only a handful of games. It also didn't matter because the Xbox didn't support HDMI so in theory you couldn't get a picture above 480p.

The RE-Make was a complete overhaul, and even though the story and core gameplay was there, it was a completely brand-new experience. It was similar to the style of the original, but its hard to say that they are "still the same game" when everything changed.

After Resident Evil 6, Capcom went back to the ol' drawing board and while the game was a commerical success, there was a huge backlash from fans and critics alike. Some fans have called it the worst Resident Evil ever made and for good reason. As I am sure I mentioned somewhere in this post, from a business point of view, it appeared that Capcom was testing the market with the Resident Evil Remaster HD, to get a sense if a game of its style was still popular. Capcom got their answer and they annouced that they would be doing a lot more HD remasters. Capcom has also made many statements saying that the series will "return to its survival horror roots". Sure we got Resident Evil revelations 2 (which I still haven't played yet, but I am looking forward to) and I hear it is better than the first game which I really liked, but it is still missing that spark. They have also held various Q&A sessions with fans and all the fans say the same thing; give us a Resident Evil 2 remake. I think it is likely that we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake, but if we don't, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom made an HD remaster of RE 2, since it is one of their best selling games of all time. However, I have obviously heard of HD remasters or remakes where they have turned PS2/Xbox games and brought them over to the next generation (or generation after in Resident Evil remake's case), but I have never heard of them remastering a game from the PSone area. I don't know if that would even be possible or cost effective and I would think that the game would be so uneven (gameplay looks better, but the cineamatics still look bad) that it could possibly just force them into a remake.

Anyways, RE2 had 4 campaigns: Leon A/B, and Claire A/B. You had to beat both A scenarios to unlock both of the B scenarios. The scenarios are different; slighly different story, encounters and items. It takes just under 6 hours on a nomral playthrough if you weren't a completionist or a doing a speedrun to beat each scenario. Also there was the 4th Survivor scenario in which you could play as HUNK (who had a lot of weapons, handgun shotgun and magnum) or with Tofu who just had a knife. Also you are right, there were three weapon unlocks which included the rocket launcher, the gatling gun and the sub-machine gun, not to mention the costumes you could also unlock. There was a lot more content in comparison to the original Resident Evil game. Also I said RE1 invented the surival horror genre, but I sort of used that out of context. The term "survival horror" was first used for the original Resident Evil Japanese release back in 1996 so in sense they sort of created that genre with that release. I am also aware of Alone in the Dark being coined as the grandfather of survival horror, it just depends on you look at it.

So its hard to say if we will ever get a remake or remaster of Resident Evil 2, but based on a lot of key factors I think it is highly possible. I do 100% believe that we will not get an action game like Resident Evil 5/6 any time soon if ever because Capcom seems to have moved on. I also believe that we will get more HD remasters/ remakes before we get Resident Evil 7.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Well Capcom is a bit... retarded... So I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@chaplainDMK:

touché!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Byshop  Moderator

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

"I don't know what you were trying to get with the GC supporting 480p because that is not HD resolution. It is true some Xbox games supported up to 1080i, but it was only a handful of games. It also didn't matter because the Xbox didn't support HDMI so in theory you couldn't get a picture above 480p."

You said that HD wasn't available when the Gamecube was out but that is factually incorrect. Hell, even the PS2 had a few games that supported 1080i. You also said that the Xbox "theoretically" can't support above 480p because it didn't have HDMI which is also factually incorrect. Component video (while analog) supports up to a 1080p signal, although the data bandwidth is such that it's a bit debatable as to whether or not you get the full 1080p but component absolutely handles 720p and 1080i. But again, when I said "HD update" I just meant remaking a game using current gen technology.

"The RE-Make was a complete overhaul, and even though the story and core gameplay was there, it was a completely brand-new experience. It was similar to the style of the original, but its hard to say that they are "still the same game" when everything changed."

Yes, but it's still the same type of game. Pre-rendered backdrops, fixed camera angles, same inventory system, same save system, same basic story, mostly the same mansion layout, etc.

"After Resident Evil 6, Capcom went back to the ol' drawing board and while the game was a commerical success, there was a huge backlash from fans and critics alike. Some fans have called it the worst Resident Evil ever made and for good reason."

Yes, this is true although my vote for worst RE games goes to RE5, ORC, the first Survivor game on US PS1 release that had the lightgun support stripped, and Gaiden for the GBA.

"As I am sure I mentioned somewhere in this post, from a business point of view, it appeared that Capcom was testing the market with the Resident Evil Remaster HD, to get a sense if a game of its style was still popular. Capcom got their answer and they annouced that they would be doing a lot more HD remasters. Capcom has also made many statements saying that the series will "return to its survival horror roots". Sure we got Resident Evil revelations 2 (which I still haven't played yet, but I am looking forward to) and I hear it is better than the first game which I really liked, but it is still missing that spark. They have also held various Q&A sessions with fans and all the fans say the same thing; give us a Resident Evil 2 remake. I think it is likely that we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake, but if we don't, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom made an HD remaster of RE 2, since it is one of their best selling games of all time. "

I'm sure they were, although the next HD remake we'd likely see is RE:0 because again, the heavy lifting is already done. Porting the Gamecube Re-make to PC/modern platforms is probably no more or less difficult than moving RE:0 which was built on the same engine on the same platform.

"However, I have obviously heard of HD remasters or remakes where they have turned PS2/Xbox games and brought them over to the next generation (or generation after in Resident Evil remake's case), but I have never heard of them remastering a game from the PSone area. I don't know if that would even be possible or cost effective and I would think that the game would be so uneven (gameplay looks better, but the cineamatics still look bad) that it could possibly just force them into a remake."

Maybe they'll do it, but from a gameplay mechanics perspective the later REs are easier to move. Veronica was a 3D game that didn't use fixed perspectives and Nemesis was more action heavy. For any of these games, it would be a complete re-write at this point. They already have an HD version of Veronica, but since that was already a 3D game it's literally just a resolution update and a few other tweaks.

"Anyways, RE2 had 4 campaigns: Leon A/B, and Claire A/B..."

Yes, I know. I described them to you in my last post. I beat every scenario in RE2 at least once and beat Hunk. I never beat Tofu because it was just Hunk with no weapons. I've also played and beaten RE1, RE-make, RE:0, Veronica, Nemesis, RE4 (many times), RE6 (all scenarios), Survivor, Survivor 2, Dead Aim and a few others. I got almost all the way through RE5 but I didn't enjoy it that much and I gave up on the last boss.

"So its hard to say if we will ever get a remake or remaster of Resident Evil 2, but based on a lot of key factors I think it is highly possible. I do 100% believe that we will not get an action game like Resident Evil 5/6 any time soon if ever because Capcom seems to have moved on. I also believe that we will get more HD remasters/ remakes before we get Resident Evil 7."

I'm sure RE:0 will show up soon. Any others will be complete re-writes so I'd say its no guarantee.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@Byshop said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

"I don't know what you were trying to get with the GC supporting 480p because that is not HD resolution. It is true some Xbox games supported up to 1080i, but it was only a handful of games. It also didn't matter because the Xbox didn't support HDMI so in theory you couldn't get a picture above 480p."

You said that HD wasn't available when the Gamecube was out but that is factually incorrect. Hell, even the PS2 had a few games that supported 1080i. You also said that the Xbox "theoretically" can't support above 480p because it didn't have HDMI which is also factually incorrect. Component video (while analog) supports up to a 1080p signal, although the data bandwidth is such that it's a bit debatable as to whether or not you get the full 1080p but component absolutely handles 720p and 1080i. But again, when I said "HD update" I just meant remaking a game using current gen technology.

"The RE-Make was a complete overhaul, and even though the story and core gameplay was there, it was a completely brand-new experience. It was similar to the style of the original, but its hard to say that they are "still the same game" when everything changed."

Yes, but it's still the same type of game. Pre-rendered backdrops, fixed camera angles, same inventory system, same save system, same basic story, mostly the same mansion layout, etc.

"After Resident Evil 6, Capcom went back to the ol' drawing board and while the game was a commerical success, there was a huge backlash from fans and critics alike. Some fans have called it the worst Resident Evil ever made and for good reason."

Yes, this is true although my vote for worst RE games goes to RE5, ORC, the first Survivor game on US PS1 release that had the lightgun support stripped, and Gaiden for the GBA.

"As I am sure I mentioned somewhere in this post, from a business point of view, it appeared that Capcom was testing the market with the Resident Evil Remaster HD, to get a sense if a game of its style was still popular. Capcom got their answer and they annouced that they would be doing a lot more HD remasters. Capcom has also made many statements saying that the series will "return to its survival horror roots". Sure we got Resident Evil revelations 2 (which I still haven't played yet, but I am looking forward to) and I hear it is better than the first game which I really liked, but it is still missing that spark. They have also held various Q&A sessions with fans and all the fans say the same thing; give us a Resident Evil 2 remake. I think it is likely that we will get a Resident Evil 2 remake, but if we don't, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom made an HD remaster of RE 2, since it is one of their best selling games of all time. "

I'm sure they were, although the next HD remake we'd likely see is RE:0 because again, the heavy lifting is already done. Porting the Gamecube Re-make to PC/modern platforms is probably no more or less difficult than moving RE:0 which was built on the same engine on the same platform.

"However, I have obviously heard of HD remasters or remakes where they have turned PS2/Xbox games and brought them over to the next generation (or generation after in Resident Evil remake's case), but I have never heard of them remastering a game from the PSone area. I don't know if that would even be possible or cost effective and I would think that the game would be so uneven (gameplay looks better, but the cineamatics still look bad) that it could possibly just force them into a remake."

Maybe they'll do it, but from a gameplay mechanics perspective the later REs are easier to move. Veronica was a 3D game that didn't use fixed perspectives and Nemesis was more action heavy. For any of these games, it would be a complete re-write at this point. They already have an HD version of Veronica, but since that was already a 3D game it's literally just a resolution update and a few other tweaks.

"Anyways, RE2 had 4 campaigns: Leon A/B, and Claire A/B..."

Yes, I know. I described them to you in my last post. I beat every scenario in RE2 at least once and beat Hunk. I never beat Tofu because it was just Hunk with no weapons. I've also played and beaten RE1, RE-make, RE:0, Veronica, Nemesis, RE4 (many times), RE6 (all scenarios), Survivor, Survivor 2, Dead Aim and a few others. I got almost all the way through RE5 but I didn't enjoy it that much and I gave up on the last boss.

"So its hard to say if we will ever get a remake or remaster of Resident Evil 2, but based on a lot of key factors I think it is highly possible. I do 100% believe that we will not get an action game like Resident Evil 5/6 any time soon if ever because Capcom seems to have moved on. I also believe that we will get more HD remasters/ remakes before we get Resident Evil 7."

I'm sure RE:0 will show up soon. Any others will be complete re-writes so I'd say its no guarantee.

-Byshop

You would vote RE5 worse than RE6? Interesting. Why is that?

For me the worst games are: ORC, Resident Evil Survivor, RE4, RE5 and RE6.

I think RE4 is a great game, it just is not a good RE game. I think RE5 is a good game (possibly great), but it is a terrible RE game. I just think that RE6 is a bad game and bad RE game altogether. For me, the series died when RE4 came out, and even though I really liked the game, to me it was more of a spin-off title. The RE evil franchise is really close to my heart because RE2 was the first PS game that I played and RE was the second PS game that I ever played.

Also, yeah I messed up on that whole component cable thing. I am mixing up component cables with composite cables. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, the Xbox and PS2 came with composite cables (no HDMI). For Xbox, you could buy component cables and some type of HDMI adapter, but like you said, the quality was questionable.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Byshop  Moderator

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

You would vote RE5 worse than RE6? Interesting. Why is that?

For me the worst games are: ORC, Resident Evil Survivor, RE4, RE5 and RE6.

I think RE4 is a great game, it just is not a good RE game. I think RE5 is a good game (possibly great), but it is a terrible RE game. I just think that RE6 is a bad game and bad RE game altogether. For me, the series died when RE4 came out, and even though I really liked the game, to me it was more of a spin-off title. The RE evil franchise is really close to my heart because RE2 was the first PS game that I played and RE was the second PS game that I ever played.

Also, yeah I messed up on that whole component cable thing. I am mixing up component cables with composite cables. It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, the Xbox and PS2 came with composite cables (no HDMI). For Xbox, you could buy component cables and some type of HDMI adapter, but like you said, the quality was questionable.

The braindead AI partner heavily ruined the experience, the setting wasn't in keeping with the RE, it was even more action heavy than RE4, the puzzles were non-existent, and the maps were almost completely linear. RE6 had a lot of problems, but Leon's campaign felt a bit more like a classic RE game than RE4 or RE5. RE5 was just an action shooter with no horror elements beyond zombie-esque bad guys.

I get what you're saying about RE4, but the tone of the game was more in keeping with previous RE games. It kind of reminded me of Veronica in some ways (crazy family lineage and weird, out of place castles, etc). I didn't completely mind the direction that RE4 went because I felt like it had good and bad elements as an RE game. The game was in desperate need of a changeup because the franchise was getting a bit stale, and the demo that went up through the village was absolutely thrilling.

The Xbox and PS2 came with composite at launch but had first party component cables that you could get as options. This was true for the PS2, GC and Xbox, and even the Dreamcast supported 480p through an optional VGA box. The DC and GC topped out at 480p but the Xbox and PS2 went up to 1080i, although most games didn't support these resolutions. HDMI came out after the HDTV spec and all the early HDTVs supported it through component cables as the main standard. A few other standards (5 BNC connectors, Firewire) existed but those standards didn't take off.

-Byshop

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidTy

I had Component cables for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube back then as I was an HDTV early adopter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@SolidTy said:

I had Component cables for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube back then as I was an HDTV early adopter.

Just seems a little pointless since there were literally only a handful of games that supported 1080i back then. For the PS2 only Gran Turismo 4, Jackass: the Game, Tourist Trophy and Valkyrie Profle 2: Silmeria supported that resolution. For the Xbox only Atari Anthology, Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair, Enter the Matrix, MX Unleashed, and MX vs. ATV Unleashed supported 1080i resolution. The Nintendo GameCube did not support 1080i HD and, but it did support a 16:9 aspect ratio.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SolidTy

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:
@SolidTy said:

Just seems a little pointless since there were literally only a handful of games that supported 1080i back then. For the PS2 only Gran Turismo 4, Jackass: the Game, Tourist Trophy and Valkyrie Profle 2: Silmeria supported that resolution. For the Xbox only Atari Anthology, Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair, Enter the Matrix, MX Unleashed, and MX vs. ATV Unleashed supported 1080i resolution. The Nintendo GameCube did not support 1080i HD and, but it did support a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Yes, I'm aware of the games I played and I had a blast doing it.

Also, it wasn't pointless at all, there was a HUGE quality difference in even just 480p! 1080i and Widescreen were icing on the cake! I invested in the HDTV technology and I wasn't a child then. I was just as much a gamer then as I am today (imagine who you are today and traveling back in that time), paying $50 for each of those games and over the years I've amassed quite a collection. I've never had the joy of having my parents buy me a PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, or Dreamcast games. My parents paid for my NES stuff once upon a time, so I can relate to getting games from parents, but I was a full grown adult by the time the PS1, Saturn, and N64 came around.

It's peculiar though you decided to cut off at 1080i, especially considering you just found out about the support in this thread. Us HDTV and component video cable buyers didn't just look only for 1080 games, we also enjoyed Widescreen support and 480p as well.

Also, progressive scan 480p games bump that list up as did games that supported Widescreen on PS2, GC, etc. 480p support was another reason to have an HDTV with component video, even if the HDTV supported higher resolutions. It was the only way to get 480p, so those of us that could get 480P or more took the option.

I remember having friends over back then and they were quite impressed at the difference between 480p and standard AV blur. They all wanted to upgrade and get HDTVs back then.

The issue is that you were completely unaware of of the benefits when you posted:

"Also, yeah I messed up on that whole component cable thing. I am mixing up component cables with composite cables."

---

It seems to me you are becoming an expert by the second using the web whereas many of us already knew this information over 15+ years ago as we lived in those times as adults with buying power (thousands on HDTVs, AV equipment, games, internet, etc).

For instance, the PS2 was the first console to offer component video and us HDTV owners took advantage. A year later, the GC and Xbox offered it. In fact, I'm told my official GC component cables are worth quite some money ($277-$350! http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GURW00/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used). Sure, there was limited support in the form of Widescreen on same games, 1080i in other games, or even 480p in other games, but we took those offerings because it was better than nothing. I even took advantage of the Dreamcast VGA.

You shouldn't dismiss the power of 480p or just widescreen support back in 2000-2005. Sure, there was a handful of 1080i, but there was a lot more 480p to go around. The problem is you are using 2015 HDTV standards and looking back telling me something was pointless a decade ago when it was not. You are going to have to imagine what it was like to live in 2000 at the age you are now.

You can dismiss 480p easily in May 2015, but back then it was pretty awesome.

To this day, I have no idea what a PS2 looks like with regular AV cords. I've never seen it hooked up like that for any of my games. The minimum I've used is S-Video. Even S-Video had my adult gaming friends quite impressed once upon a time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@SolidTy said:
@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:
@SolidTy said:

Yes, I'm aware of the games I played. I invested in the HDTV technology and I wasn't a child then. I was just as much a gamer then as I am today, paying $50 for each of those games and over the years I've amassed quite a collection.

It's peculiar though you decided to cut off at 1080i, especially considering you just found out about the support in this thread. Us HDTV and component video cable buyers didn't just look only for 1080 games, we also enjoyed Widescreen support and 480p as well.

Also, progressive scan 480p games bump that list up as did games that supported Widescreen on PS2, GC, etc. 480p support was another reason to have an HDTV with component video, even if the HDTV supported higher resolutions. It was the only way to get 480p, so those of us that could get 480P or more took the option.

The issue is that you were completely unaware of of the benefits when you posted:

"Also, yeah I messed up on that whole component cable thing. I am mixing up component cables with composite cables."

---

It seems to me you are becoming an expert by the second using the web whereas many of us already knew this information over 15+ years ago as we lived in those times as adults with buying power. For instance, the PS2 was the first console to offer component video and us HDTV owners took advantage. Sure, there was limited support in the form of Widescreen on same games, 1080i in other games, or even 480p in other games, but we took those offerings because it was better than nothing. I even took advantage of the Dreamcast VGA.

To this day, I have no idea what a PS2 looks like with regular AV cords. The minimum I've used is S-Video.

I was refering to games that are an HD format. 1080i though inferior to 1080p, is an HD resolutation, but 480p is not an HD resolution. Also 15 years ago I was wasn't an adult I was about 13 years old. I never experienced HD PS2 gaming because in reality there really much to experience. True with component cables you could get it up 480p (and even 1080i) which was better than composite's 480i, but it wasn't drastically better. I do not know if PS2 had 720p support, but I do know that the original Xbox had several games that supported 720p, but again this is not HD. Also, what can I say, I am a fast learner and it would be a little arrogant to hold that against me.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SolidTy

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:
@SolidTy said:
@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:
@SolidTy said:

Yes, I'm aware of the games I played. I invested in the HDTV technology and I wasn't a child then. I was just as much a gamer then as I am today, paying $50 for each of those games and over the years I've amassed quite a collection.

---

It seems to me you are becoming an expert by the second using the web whereas many of us already knew this information over 15+ years ago as we lived in those times as adults with buying power. For instance, the PS2 was the first console to offer component video and us HDTV owners took advantage. Sure, there was limited support in the form of Widescreen on same games, 1080i in other games, or even 480p in other games, but we took those offerings because it was better than nothing. I even took advantage of the Dreamcast VGA.

To this day, I have no idea what a PS2 looks like with regular AV cords. The minimum I've used is S-Video.

I was refering to games that are an HD format. 1080i though inferior to 1080p, is an HD resolutation, but 480p is not an HD resolution. Also 15 years ago I was wasn't an adult I was about 13 years old. I never experienced HD PS2 gaming because in reality there really much to experience. True with component cables you could get it up 480p (and even 1080i) which was better than composite's 480i, but it wasn't drastically better. I do not know if PS2 had 720p support, but I do know that the original Xbox had several games that supported 720p, but again this is not HD. Also, what can I say, I am a fast learner and it would be a little arrogant to hold that against me.

There was a big difference back then, even with 480p. It's interesting that your opinions aren't backed by the experience but you are telling me there wasn't much to experience, except my actual experience contrasts your statement. In your shoes, I would defer to those that lived through those times and did the experiments. You also may not know, SDTV's render in two primary modes: 240p and 480i. Which means it displays two sets of signals alternating on odd/even lines of the TV. Most Playstation 2 games will run in 480i on SDTV's (though quite a few will render in 240p).

I'm sorry you haven't experienced component or S-video PS2 gaming, especially back then when it was new. I already told you of all the compliments I got back then from many a gamer using just S-video and of course component video. These component and Svideo cords sold millions and millions of cables to those that had the right screens.

I found it to be amazing, especially back then. Everything was sharper, clearer...it was great.

You are making distinctions on what you feel HD is...that's irrelevant. All I ever said was: "I had Component cables for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube back then as I was an HDTV early adopter. " I had these new HDTVs back in the PS2/GC/Xbox generation and I was very pleased to get some form of support for my amazing new HDTVs.

I got my monies worth buying those cables and even today those machines are hooked up with component video cables.

You should go read up on the internet and read testimonials of people that used the cables, you will find the majority of buyers enjoyed the cables as I did.

I pretty much covered that all in my post above though.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Byshop  Moderator

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

Called it. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-announces-resident-evil-0-hd-remaster-for-p/1100-6427573/

-Byshop

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SolidTy

@Byshop said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

Called it. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-announces-resident-evil-0-hd-remaster-for-p/1100-6427573/

-Byshop

I called it in post 14 and explained why.

I was going to post this link, but you beat me to it. :)

I think most RE fans saw it coming though, since it's easy money.

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

Wow you are pretty smart solidty...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@SolidTy: I think everyone called it- heck I said Resident Evil 0 was a given when I started this topic and even people without much RE knowledge could see that Capcom was going to give us an HD version of RE 0.