Do you think Sony is only hurting themselves by not allowing cross-play?

bronzeheart92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 bronzeheart92
Member since 2017 • 129 Posts

Just something I wanted to ask you all...

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

A little though ps4 is in the lead in hardware sales there's just something about the platstation brand that feels brittle. They're struggling to keep their ips going. So much so rather than a bew Ratchet and Clank we got a movie tie in version of the original. Other ips haven't too many or any sequels since ps4 launched. Playstation jas some growing to do and they need to stay strong . They give too easily of late atleast thats what vita's poor perfomance indicates. Crossplay could have been a way for ps to grow

scootersgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scootersgaming
Member since 2017 • 38 Posts

No. The beauty of console gaming is nobody gets an advantage because of hardware. If you open up PVP across diverse hardware, then some players will have an advantage.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

No, it's not a necessary feature or one that is frequently asked for. However, crossplatform play is enabled on some titles with the PC community. (The most well known example is probably DCUO)

@Celsius765 said:

A little though ps4 is in the lead in hardware sales there's just something about the platstation brand that feels brittle. They're struggling to keep their ips going. So much so rather than a bew Ratchet and Clank we got a movie tie in version of the original. Other ips haven't too many or any sequels since ps4 launched. Playstation jas some growing to do and they need to stay strong . They give too easily of late atleast thats what vita's poor perfomance indicates. Crossplay could have been a way for ps to grow

They need a continued focus on games to maintain the lead. Aside from critically acclaimed first party exclusives they have also managed to secure third party exclusives which have been averaging 8/10 scores. In addition to games they have secured partnerships with multiplatform games for exclusive content. The better the depth of your library the more consumers you're going to attract.

Cross-play is the new buzz topic that is replacing backwards compatibility. The difference being that people actually asked for BC without realizing how much they frequently use it. Titles today require more and more of your time (and as consumers we asked for that) so the number of times you will actually revisit an older title drastically declines.

@scootersgaming said:

No. The beauty of console gaming is nobody gets an advantage because of hardware. If you open up PVP across diverse hardware, then some players will have an advantage.

Whole-heartedly agree on this. Streamlining is one of the benefits of console gaming (which is why I'm still not cool with these mid-gen consoles).

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Depends on the game I say, for PvP games, nope, some people think the other control schemes have an advantage compared to the DS4.

But if its something like PvE or a co-op only game, I don't see a problem. Eg: Minecraft, Overcooked, Tropico series and maybe some special event modes in games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I think all the companies are losing out by not having one specific console. There are rarely any real exclusives and the consoles are losing out on potential customers because of this.

Zan1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Zan1987
Member since 2006 • 132 Posts

I've bought every Playstation console aside from the Pro and always been on Sony's side but recently some of their restrictions have been putting me off to the point I'm considering getting a XBox One. Mostly due to the modding limitations they have applied as Bethesda games are among my favourites. Not allowing cross play with consoles is irritating also.

Yes, I would say they are harming themselves. At least in my eyes.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

No it's not a necessity. I think Sony should keep doing what they're doing; making great games and continuing to lead this gen. 2017 was a great year for Playstation owners. I'm pretty sure there was a 9/10 AAA title in every genre. If 2018 was anywhere near as good as this year was I'll be a happy camper.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Don't care. I guess people who care about it play only online and want more people to scream in their ears stupid stuff only a 10yo will find funny.

TuMekeNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TuMekeNZ
Member since 2016 • 149 Posts

They are losing on the PR front as it does really make them look bad.

Whether it is bad is up to the individuals but we haven’t really had a good reason as to why not from them which is not a good look.

If it’s simply a matter of the developer sorting the back end like shown by Fortnite, what’s the issue?

I get why Xbox may be pushing it since they are way behind but Nintendo is on the rise so would almost be in the same boat as Sony, yet they are open to do it...

Maybe we’ll never know the reason.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@GTR12: K/M vs ds4, yeah the Sony players are at a disadvantage. Otherwise it would be all fair.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@vfighter said:

@GTR12: K/M vs ds4, yeah the Sony players are at a disadvantage. Otherwise it would be all fair.

What?

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

Well, they let cross play happen with PC i.e. Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn which allows cross play between PC, PS3 and PS4. I don't know if cross play between XBox users is hurting them, but not doing it is definitely not benefiting anyone. Sony and Microsoft have dedicated fan bases and if cross play was enabled it would allow these players to compete against each other.

The only thing really hurting Sony is their weird and strict policy on modding games.