Do you think PS3 will EVER have cross game chat?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bleacher6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bleacher6
Member since 2010 • 332 Posts

Like i just havent seen any reason why sony wouldnt do this..is there a reason why that i havent read on? its never been that huge of a deal to me but i like talking to people while playing single player games xD

jesseandnikki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 jesseandnikki
Member since 2004 • 4834 Posts
It's one reason I hardly play games on mine. I want to be able to talk to my friends while we're setting up a game, but aren't in one together yet. It's hard sending text messages back and forth trying to get each other in the same game.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
no i dont
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

[QUOTE="jesseandnikki"]It's one reason I hardly play games on mine. I want to be able to talk to my friends while we're setting up a game, but aren't in one together yet. It's hard sending text messages back and forth trying to get each other in the same game.bleacher6

exactly...it just doesnt make sense to me and while it takes me 3 seconds on my xbox to get a game started it takes a good bit longer and more frustrating on PS3...why do i have to like PS3 more :P

Same here. PS3 is a decidedly single player experience for me, dispite PSN being free online and all.
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

i could care less,most of my friends have wiis

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="jesseandnikki"]It's one reason I hardly play games on mine. I want to be able to talk to my friends while we're setting up a game, but aren't in one together yet. It's hard sending text messages back and forth trying to get each other in the same game.bleacher6

exactly...it just doesnt make sense to me and while it takes me 3 seconds on my xbox to get a game started it takes a good bit longer and more frustrating on PS3...why do i have to like PS3 more :P

Doesn't MS have some kind of legal lockdown on cross-game chat? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere... maybe just in these forums. I would think that if they didn't Sony would have given it to us a long time ago. It's probably the #1 thing that PS3 users want from Sony.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="bleacher6"]

[QUOTE="jesseandnikki"]It's one reason I hardly play games on mine. I want to be able to talk to my friends while we're setting up a game, but aren't in one together yet. It's hard sending text messages back and forth trying to get each other in the same game.jshaas

Doesn't MS have some kind of legal lockdown on cross-game chat? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere... maybe just in these forums. I would think that if they didn't Sony would have given it to us a long time ago. It's probably the #1 thing that PS3 users want from Sony.

Nope. Here's a somewhat interesting read about why PS3 doesn't have some features. http://forums.n4g.com/Cross-game-chat-and-why-it39s-currently-MIA-m700070.aspx
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

couldnt care less about this feature, i almost never use a mic anyway while playing

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

If I'm talkin to anyone, its on the phone. Tho I do question why Sony is slacking so much on the XMB... I find that PS+ is their excuse right now to have users forget about things that a lot of gamers want on the PS3.

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

I enjoyed cross game chat with a few select mates over XBL.

I would love to see one on the ps3, just because it's nice to play a game you've played for some time (maybe an rpg) and talk to friends.

LURCH87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 LURCH87
Member since 2008 • 1375 Posts

i wish regular chat on borderlands is awful to say the least

ktrotter11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ktrotter11
Member since 2006 • 1140 Posts
It's one reason I hardly play games on mine. I want to be able to talk to my friends while we're setting up a game, but aren't in one together yet. It's hard sending text messages back and forth trying to get each other in the same game.jesseandnikki
call them if u need to talk so badly..
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
The only way they could do it is by taking the firmware and spending a while really optimising it and polishing it as to free up some RAM and then add it as a feature. PS3 uses slightly more RAM for some tasks and means their aint much left for cross-game chat, its not a software issue, its a hardware issue so don't expect cross-game chat anytime soon, if ever.
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

i could care less,most of my friends have wiis

Vader993
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts
The only way they could do it is by taking the firmware and spending a while really optimising it and polishing it as to free up some RAM and then add it as a feature. PS3 uses slightly more RAM for some tasks and means their aint much left for cross-game chat, its not a software issue, its a hardware issue so don't expect cross-game chat anytime soon, if ever.JohnF111
Not to mention the fact that the PS3 only has 256mb ram while the 360 has 512.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
No, ram limitation's prevent it at least that's the way I see it.
Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts
For me , this feature wasnt as mandatory as in game xmb.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Only if they bundle PS3 with headsets.

RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts

cross game chat is a useless feature for me anyway if im playing a single player game i don't want somebody in my ear talking about something that doesn't have to do with the game im playing if i want to talk i'll just call them

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

Does it matter? I'm too busy playing good games to worry about x-chat, other people should think about doing the same thing.

jocaju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jocaju
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts

cross game chat is a useless feature for me anyway if im playing a single player game i don't want somebody in my ear talking about something that doesn't have to do with the game im playing if i want to talk i'll just call them

RadTad62

This right here.

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts
Cross game chat = stupid feature Why do I need to talk to other while in another game? No reason, therefore I hope the PS never gets this feature
Avatar image for SuprmanLuvHandl
SuprmanLuvHandl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SuprmanLuvHandl
Member since 2010 • 989 Posts

No. PS3 can hardly run XMB without it being slow and laggy as hell. The ps3 isn't very good at multi-tasking.

e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts

Actually, the PS3 has the same amount of Ram as the 360. The PS3 has 256MB for the CPU while the other 256MB is for operating with the cell processor. I thinks it's coming, but it'll take awhile because Sony has to find a solution to put cross game chat into the system via firmware by working around that 256MB of Ram to function the feature properly.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
One huge reason why I enjoy gaming on the 360 more. My friends game on it more and I like to chat with them when we're playing different games.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
I don't know. I'm not well versed in any of the details that pertain to CGC, especially those that answer why CGC is absent from the PS3. But what I do know is that I can't give a bigger damn about it :lol:.
lahdeedah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 lahdeedah
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts
Wish they would add it >.>. I hate to see all of my friends on one game, and I'm on the other. I'm missing out :(.
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

I'm not interested in cross game chat either. I want my custom in-game soundtracks for "every game" instead of a select few.

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts

I'm not interested in cross game chat either. I want my custom in-game soundtracks for "every game" instead of a select few.

KamuiFei
yeah cross game chat is useless, I hope PS3 doesn't implement it. That is one of the things that killed the 360 for me
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
[QUOTE="hkymike"][QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

yeah cross game chat is useless, I hope PS3 doesn't implement it. That is one of the things that killed the 360 for me

That makes absolutely no sense. How does an optional feature kill a system for you? It's not like you can't choose whether or not you're chatting. Turn it off, pretty easy, no? Anyway, PS3 should have it at this point. There are enough people asking for it. For those who think like hkymike, don't use it. It's your choice. But for the rest of us who actually want it we should have the option. Sending PM's back and forth is a total hassle while playing, and is poorly implemented to begin with.
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

[QUOTE="hkymike"][QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

i_noseworthy

That makes absolutely no sense. How does an optional feature kill a system for you? It's not like you can't choose whether or not you're chatting. Turn it off, pretty easy, no? Anyway, PS3 should have it at this point. There are enough people asking for it. For those who think like hkymike, don't use it. It's your choice. But for the rest of us who actually want it we should have the option. Sending PM's back and forth is a total hassle while playing, and is poorly implemented to begin with.

I don't think its completely useless. I just have very little use for it. I mostly play online with rl friends that tell me beforehand they're getting on. I have a few "online friends" that play MW2 or something and CGC would be useful in that regard. But its not very often I join their games, let alone form a group with them beforehand. But thats just me of course.

ak47bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 ak47bang
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts
I mute everyone anyways , can't stand whiner little kids and rap music.
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 i_noseworthy
@KamuiFei - Fair enough, if you have little use for it, no big deal. But that shouldn't be a reason for no-one to get it (as in hkymike's opinion). I agree with the custom soundtracks for every game, definitely something I'd like to see (but likely won't). @ak47bang - So are all your friends whiner little kids who listen to rap music? Or do you just not know what cross game chat is? The discussion is about being able to talk to friends on chat even if you're playing different games, so I'm not quite sure how your comment fits...
GunnersFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GunnersFury
Member since 2010 • 50 Posts

if you want to listen to music while playing your game buy a damn ipod or mp3 player... jeez, and for cross game chat i think its pritty terrible idea.... is it realy nessasary to have?

_N_R_G_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _N_R_G_
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

Some people want it and some people dont, if we do get it (which i hope we do) and you dont like it then just simply dont use it. People should stop been selfish by saying hope it never comes just because YOU dont want it.

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 i_noseworthy

if you want to listen to music while playing your game buy a damn ipod or mp3 player... jeez, and for cross game chat i think its pritty terrible idea.... is it realy nessasary to have?

GunnersFury
An ipod or mp3 player? Wow, what a great idea!!! /sarcasm The reason for having custom soundtracks is so they can be played while still having sound effects from the game playing over it. Yeah, you can do it with another stereo playing music, but it's easier when the option is available in game. And as for cross game chat being a "pritty" terrible idea, care to say why? I'm going to guess you don't understand the concept. It works on 360, very well, and could work the same on PS3 if Sony got off their asses and included it. It's great being able to talk to people when you're playing a different game. And much less intrusive then sending PM's, having to exit to the XMB just to check them, then popping back into the game. While it's not that bad for single player campaigns where you can pause the action, it's horrible for online play. As always, and has been stated before by myself and others, don't like it? Don't use it. But don't condemn the idea based on your personal view alone (especially when your opinion seems to be driven by nothing).