Do you think MGS4 lives up to it's previous titles.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

User Lists: 0

#1 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I don't think it matches up. Don't get me wrong. MGS4 is a totally asome game. One of the best on the PS3. But it feels like it's missing something that's in the other ones, or maybe too much of one thing and not enough of the other. In my opinion, MGS3 is the best because it balances story, ideology, politics, cinema, and everything else.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

No.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
On par with or better than MGS3 and better than MGS1 & 2.
LaughingManX23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 LaughingManX23
Member since 2006 • 451 Posts

Yeah it did. MGS4 was a amazing game. I loved sitting through every cut scene learning things that my friends and I had been debating for years over. The gameplay was great and the fact that you could play through it different every time every time was even better. My last run through I was went around shooting everyone with the laughing tranq...hilarious btw. Which suited me considering my online handle is The Laughing Man.
Everything about that game was amazing and the fact that they put Metal Gear Online back into it was even more great. I use to play the hell outta MGO 1 on Snake Eater:Substance untill they cancled the survers so being able to get back into with all my MGO buddys and saluting each other again was a great day.

touchyourtoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 touchyourtoes
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Lives up? Not even close. I've played through the game once, back in August 08 as I got the bundle, I tried to play it again last week to see if I could see what the hoopla is about. I turned it off before I was done the first stage.

CraigyM83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CraigyM83
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

Nowhere near as good as MGS and I prefer MGS2 certainly. It's about as cheesey as MGS3. I don't see why it gets so much praise, I thought it was boring, didn't get a feel for the game, I thought it lacked progress with it being separated into missions. I guess some of those who prefer it just like that style whereas others are a little too young to have enjoyed the delights of MGS at the time.

Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

Of course it does you fascist bastards.

VirtualAntics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 VirtualAntics
Member since 2008 • 556 Posts

I think that MGS4 was a good almagam of the best bits from 1, 2 and 3, while still managing to keep fresh. (I thought there were shades of high fantasy this time around, but it gave the story an epic feel.) The cast from each part were brought together in a unique way. Everyone had their moment. It was breathtaking on every scale, from cutscenes to variety of gameplay.

The option to play in FPS mode was a good addition, as well as shooting while on your back. I liked the fact that you could still sneak through whole sections, and not use a single bullet. Or, spam the tranq gun if you wanted. (Alternatively, using the MK.II to take down the enemy instead.) The variety was refreshing.

The octocamo produced a lot of slow, tense moments. The CQC system added to the realism. The Beauties were a creepy (if slightly fanboyish) addition to the boss fights. But, they were memorable adversaries. And, I loved the fact that guards could be tipped off to your location through smell, if you'd been hiding in the dumpster at some point. :D Little details like that, really added to the overall depth.

Yeah.. I think that Guns Of The Patriots definitely lived up to what had gone before, and elevated things to a higher level.

RJLateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 RJLateralus
Member since 2007 • 969 Posts

Of course it does you fascist bastards.

Erik729
HAHAHA
Renjinrezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Renjinrezo
Member since 2006 • 777 Posts

I think that MGS4 did live up to it's predecessors, having the best parts placed in it. Unlike MGS3 which was an experiment with the formula, adding new ideas like survival and substitutes for healing.
I did find parts in which MGS4 was lacking, that is of course key locations. They are great but do feel really linear when compared to Big Shell or Shadow Moses(I know that you re-visit it, but there are too many sealed of places due to it being abandoned).

ShadyPropGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadyPropGuy
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Thats a hard one to answer. The gameplay in mgs 4 was great but some story elements in it were a little messed up i thought.

SPOILER:

Like when Raiden supposedly died saving snake, it was stupid when in the next scene otacon is like oh yeah raidens alive btw

also, after beating the bosses in the beauty and the beast unit, i didnt feel like they were really connected to the story like the bosses in 1 2 & 3 were.

except for those 2 little things, i think mgs4 definately lives up to the previous games.

P.S. i can't wait to see what to see what the kojima timer thing will say :D

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
I have to admit, I've never played the others but MGS4, for me, was stunningly good.