Do you own your PSN downloads?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

I've often heard that you don't own your games and it can be taken away. So let's say I have Trine on my PS3 or Resogun on PS4. One day can those games go away if I turn on my console? My friend says it's for life, but I'm not sure.

#2 Edited by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

You can't even work the console and physical games correctly.

Don't start getting digital anything

#3 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

I already have some digital content. Gai Seed for PS1 u know how much that's worth? A lot, so I have it on PSN. Do we ever lose our downloads if Sony goes out of business?

#4 Edited by marcheegsr (3113 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

I've often heard that you don't own your games and it can be taken away. So let's say I have Trine on my PS3 or Resogun on PS4. One day can those games go away if I turn on my console? My friend says it's for life, but I'm not sure.

Is this a serious question?

#5 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

@mdk12345 said:

Yes

#6 Edited by thehig1 (7240 posts) -
@Jaysonguy said:

That would mean he'd create even more threads :O

#7 Posted by MarcRecon (8163 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

@mdk12345 said:

You know it is!!

Avatar image for jasonredemption
#8 Posted by jasonredemption (688 posts) -

Oh no stop killing the kittens!

#9 Posted by raugutcon (5484 posts) -

If you purchased it you own it, you can delete it and download it all the times you want ( well, as long as it's there ), the same does not apply to "free" games from PSN, you can play it as long as you are a PSN member, if you delete it you will still be able to download it without a cost and play it as long as your membership is up to date, the moment your membership expires you will no longer can play it, you pay your membeship you can play it again.

#10 Posted by TheTenth10 (3085 posts) -

except they can remove the game from the server anytime they want or the company can be shut down, so you won't be able to access it anymore, thus it's only a long rent

#11 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@TheTenth10 said:

except they can remove the game from the server anytime they want or the company can be shut down, so you won't be able to access it anymore, thus it's only a long rent

Not true at all, thank you for passing along a myth

#12 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

No you don't own it, you own the license to play the game but you don't physically own it at all, in theory they could take away the game from you, any digital purchase is not yours. there was a huge law suit with Bruce Willis, who wanted to leave his entire music collection to his daughter and they basically said he couldn't because it was all in his name and he couldn't give it to them, because it isn't his to give.

this is why i buy everything as a physical copy, no matter how annoying it is having to get up and changed disc's, at least i know i have the right to sell it on, or pass it on when i die.

#13 Posted by fredbalsdon (1670 posts) -

Do you hear that I hear a kitten softy crying.

#14 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

Well other people are saying something different. What if they remove it from the server or company shuts down?

#15 Posted by MondasM (1770 posts) -

then you can download the images from the internet... just look up amiga, sinclair, commodore, atari game images, all of them have closed down, i am sure by the time ps3 is discontinued we might have some emulators on various future platforms... :)

#16 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@MondasM said:

then you can download the images from the internet... just look up amiga, sinclair, commodore, atari game images, all of them have closed down, i am sure by the time ps3 is discontinued we might have some emulators on various future platforms... :)

So when PS3 is discontinued, we can't play our downloads?

#17 Edited by MondasM (1770 posts) -

you can always repurchase their 4k remasters... :D

#18 Posted by raugutcon (5484 posts) -

@mdk12345: of course you can play your downloads unless they are on-line only like Destiny, as long as you have them in your HDD, it's like owning a physical copy, and fyi, the PS3 IS DISCONTINUED, it's no longer being manufactured.

#19 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@raugutcon said:

@mdk12345: of course you can play your downloads unless they are on-line only like Destiny, as long as you have them in your HDD, it's like owning a physical copy, and fyi, the PS3 IS DISCONTINUED, it's no longer being manufactured.

So then you do own it

#20 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

Is it possible for Sony to take away a game you downloaded onto your hard drive. My friend says you have it for life and it's not impossible.

#21 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

Is it possible for Sony to take away a game you downloaded onto your hard drive. My friend says you have it for life and it's not impossible.

Yes Sony could block you from using your content if they saw fit, but it would never happen but it is possible, take for example someone was hacked a few weeks ago and the hacker had purchased a game, Sony blocked the system which had purchased the game and thus they will not be able to play it.

when you purchase a digital copy your not buying it out right, your buying a license to play it, yes once it's on your harddrive you can play it when ever you want, but lets say your system reboots, you lose your PSN account details and cannot get back on, them games you purchased are gone with it

#22 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

Yes Sony could block you from using your content if they saw fit, but it would never happen but it is possible, take for example someone was hacked a few weeks ago and the hacker had purchased a game, Sony blocked the system which had purchased the game and thus they will not be able to play it.

when you purchase a digital copy your not buying it out right, your buying a license to play it, yes once it's on your harddrive you can play it when ever you want, but lets say your system reboots, you lose your PSN account details and cannot get back on, them games you purchased are gone with it

so if you buy it digitally, you have the right to play it forever? What if you always keep your PSN details? Can Sony change the game on your harddrive if they wanted?

#23 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

so if you buy it digitally, you have the right to play it forever? What if you always keep your PSN details? Can Sony change the game on your harddrive if they wanted?

In a sense, yes you can play it forever, I think, but considering what has happened the last few days and people having trouble with there digital copies, something seems linked to PSN, so in one way you can play forever as long as you have your PSN details, but then on another lets say 10 years down the line and PS4 is just a past memory, whos to say half the games you downloaded will not be playable again, I mean Destiny for example online game, your'll never go back and be able to play due to it's online model, once the PS4 has gone and PS5 is here, Destiny will be obsolete.

but to your question, in theory Sony can block you from playing any game on your system, which has been digitally purchased. same with any digital format, the people who actually own the rights to the game or music or film, can pull the plug on it and block it, if they choose to, thats not to saying they ever will but they can.

#24 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

In a sense, yes you can play it forever, I think, but considering what has happened the last few days and people having trouble with there digital copies, something seems linked to PSN, so in one way you can play forever as long as you have your PSN details, but then on another lets say 10 years down the line and PS4 is just a past memory, whos to say half the games you downloaded will not be playable again, I mean Destiny for example online game, your'll never go back and be able to play due to it's online model, once the PS4 has gone and PS5 is here, Destiny will be obsolete.

but to your question, in theory Sony can block you from playing any game on your system, which has been digitally purchased. same with any digital format, the people who actually own the rights to the game or music or film, can pull the plug on it and block it, if they choose to, thats not to saying they ever will but they can.

Does Sony have any reason to block us from playing all our games? Ever? Would the other companies ever pull the plug? Has it ever been done? I'm not talking about online games. But my friend says it would never happen.

#25 Posted by tempura13 (523 posts) -

It's possible for them to revoke a game's license if you violated something on the EULA and/or ToS. Still up to them to decide whether to take away your license or not.

#26 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

Does Sony have any reason to block us from playing all our games? Ever? Would the other companies ever pull the plug? Has it ever been done? I'm not talking about online games. But my friend says it would never happen.

It probably will never happen no, but in theory and in practice they could pull your games and block your system, Sony has no reason to no, but I'm saying that it is possible they have the resources to do it, if they needed to

#27 Edited by MonsieurX (38982 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

No you don't.

Read the ToU of PSN

#28 Edited by juboner (1183 posts) -

You dont own it your being allowed to use the data for a fee, kinda like renting I guess. I'm totally against digital bc once they turn it into a service like directv you wont be able to play the downloaded games unless u keep subscription.

They will probably have a mandatory update that wont allow your retail bought disc to play unless connected to the network with subscription.

#29 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@juboner said:

You dont own it your being allowed to use the data for a fee, kinda like renting I guess. I'm totally against digital bc once they turn it into a service like directv you wont be able to play the downloaded games unless u keep subscription.

They will probably have a mandatory update that wont allow your retail bought disc to play unless connected to the network with subscription.

That makes sense. I sent you a PM, hope you can help me with a question I have. It's explaining ports on HDTVs vs the originals.

#30 Posted by SerpentMage36 (43 posts) -

You own the game. Its not as if Sony can go onto your hard drive and delete it on you. Now, they can shut down the server for that game and take away the online aspect of it but they can do that when you own a physical copy of it too.

#31 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@serpentmage36 said:

You own the game. Its not as if Sony can go onto your hard drive and delete it on you. Now, they can shut down the server for that game and take away the online aspect of it but they can do that when you own a physical copy of it too.

Very true but you actually don't own it, if you read the small print, you basically are paying a licence to play the game, it's not like a physical copy you can always go back and play and use and sell, digital copies are encoded to you and only you and if say you lose your PSN account or what ever, that game is then lost forever.

and they will never do it, but in theory they can take the game away if they had to.

#32 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

@serpentmage36 said:

Very true but you actually don't own it, if you read the small print, you basically are paying a licence to play the game, it's not like a physical copy you can always go back and play and use and sell, digital copies are encoded to you and only you and if say you lose your PSN account or what ever, that game is then lost forever.

and they will never do it, but in theory they can take the game away if they had to.

Okay that's what I need to know. My friend says it's impossible. He says it's like deleting something from your PS2 memory card. He says they can't possibly delete a game on your hard drive. Can they and how?

#33 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@serpentmage36 said:

Okay that's what I need to know. My friend says it's impossible. He says it's like deleting something from your PS2 memory card. He says they can't possibly delete a game on your hard drive. Can they and how?

Ok so the digital copy of the game is owned by the publisher and the online distributor, you pay to download it and are paying a license to play the game. It is all linked to your PSN account, same with steam, same with Xbox, you don't own it, you just own the license to play it. So if they blocked or locked you out of your PSN account no matter if the games are still on your harddrive, you could not play those games, Sony has access to all PSN accounts, it's the same way they can track down people's PS4s who have stolen cash from another PSN account holder, they just lock the console, because as long as your online and everything is linked there is always a way to stop you from playing any digital game.

It's nothing like a PS2 memory card, for the sheer fact, it isn't online and you put the stuff on it.

everything is linked once you start downloading online games.

#34 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@serpentmage36 said:

Ok so the digital copy of the game is owned by the publisher and the online distributor, you pay to download it and are paying a license to play the game. It is all linked to your PSN account, same with steam, same with Xbox, you don't own it, you just own the license to play it. So if they blocked or locked you out of your PSN account no matter if the games are still on your harddrive, you could not play those games, Sony has access to all PSN accounts, it's the same way they can track down people's PS4s who have stolen cash from another PSN account holder, they just lock the console, because as long as your online and everything is linked there is always a way to stop you from playing any digital game.

It's nothing like a PS2 memory card, for the sheer fact, it isn't online and you put the stuff on it.

But what if you're playing a download that's not online? If I play Trine single player, I'm not playing online right? How is it linked if it's on the hard drive?

#35 Edited by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@serpentmage36 said:

But what if you're playing a download that's not online? If I play Trine single player, I'm not playing online right? How is it linked if it's on the hard drive?

Once it's downloaded you can play online or offline, even if your not connected to the internet, but it's still connected to your own account. so if your account some how locks out and lets say you forget your password to it, then your games are lost, it happened to me on my PS3, I had to change my PS3 over completely forgot my user name and password for PSN and so all my games I had downloaded and were on that PS3 were now lost and could not be retrieved.

Of course if you keep your PS4, Download what ever games you want and then take it off the internet, then your'll always have them games, but as long as your connected then Sony and the developer have all the rights to take the game back or at least your license to play that game, if they choose to.

#36 Posted by d_parker (2128 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

Try getting your old Tiger Woods 2013 courses if they're not in your download list. They've been removed from the game and the store.

When I got my PS3, I could have digital content on 5 devices. Now it's 4. Maybe it'll be less one day.

You own digital content at the mercy of the provider plain and simple.

#39 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

So the fact of the matter is that PS3's do get the death light. And when that happens and say Sony shuts down the server, you won't be able to get your stuff back that you purchased from them.

#40 Posted by MonsieurX (38982 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

So the fact of the matter is that PS3's do get the death light. And when that happens and say Sony shuts down the server, you won't be able to get your stuff back that you purchased from them.

No you won't

As I said,read the ToU

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
#41 Edited by deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6 (6176 posts) -
@mdk12345 said:

If Sony shut down the PSN servers permanently whilst your PS3 has broken down and you lost all your data. Then obviously you wouldn't be able to connect to the servers and redownload all your games again on a new PS3. So yes that would be the case. However... the chances of the PSN servers shutting down forever are ridiculously slim unless it some how stops making money for Sony(which isn't the case right now) or Sony go out of business and don't bother selling off the PlayStation brand to someone else.

#42 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@d_parker said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

Try getting your old Tiger Woods 2013 courses if they're not in your download list. They've been removed from the game and the store.

When I got my PS3, I could have digital content on 5 devices. Now it's 4. Maybe it'll be less one day.

Great, when you buy a physical disc how many devices can you use it in at once?

#43 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@d_parker said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

I just want to play it on one

#44 Edited by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@d_parker said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

You buy a license either way

You either own the license on a disc or you own a license with proof of digital ownership

They're the same thing

Also if that disc becomes scratched, broken, or stolen that's it, that license is now void.

Digital doesn't have any of those problems. The only thing people who are against digital have to say are "what happens if the company goes out of business" and that's insane. So people are more worried about Sony going out of business than their 30 year old consoles holding up over the years.

#45 Edited by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@mdk12345 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@d_parker said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

You either own the license on a disc or you own a license with proof of digital ownership

They're the same thing

Also if that disc becomes scratched, broken, or stolen that's it, that license is now void.

Digital doesn't have any of those problems. The only thing people who are against digital have to say are "what happens if the company goes out of business" and that's insane. So people are more worried about Sony going out of business than their 30 year old consoles holding up over the years.

Actually no I'm against Digital because I like to know I own a hard copy of that game and not just some gigabytes on a harddrive which could become faulty, I just like to know i actually have something i have bought, and I'm talking retro times for the PS4 as well, think about it most people sell on there systems at the end, and in 10 years most people would of been done with the PS4, if you went all digital, then all your games are lost at the end of the gen and when you sell it on, all you have to sell is a system with no games because all the games are register to you, unlike someone who bought all physical at the end of the gen and are ready to sell and move on, I'll have my PS4 and 50+ games to sell along with it, making alot more money than the person who decided to buy all digital.

of course that only matters if the person is selling the system and moving on, but with digital what have you got to show for it, all that money wasted on many games you may never play again and no chance of selling them on.

So Digital do have problems as much as what you state for the problems with disc.

#46 Edited by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@mdk12345 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@d_parker said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

They're the same thing

Actually no I'm against Digital because I like to know I own a hard copy of that game and not just some gigabytes on a harddrive which could become faulty, I just like know i actually have something i have bought, and I'm talking retro times for the PS4 as well, think about it most people sell on there systems at the end, and in 10 years most people would of been done with the PS4, if you went all digital, then all your games are lost at the end of the gen and when you sell it on, all you have to sell is a system with no games because all the games are register to you, unlike someone who bought all phyiscal at the end of the gen and are ready to sell and move on, I'll have my PS4 and 50+ games to sell along with it, making alot more money than the person who decided to buy all digital.

of course that only matters if the person is selling the system and moving on, but with digital what have you got to show for it, all that money wasted on many games you may never play again and no chance of selling them on

Used games are disgusting so I'm not going to be much help there

It hurts the industry and it's gross, I don't buy anything with hopes to resell it later. I hope I never get so desperate that I have to.

I have all the consoles I've ever owned with the games, that's part of the reason I like digital. You can only have so many thousand games when you need to start planing out actual space in your house for it.

#47 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@bezza2011 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@mdk12345 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@d_parker said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

They're the same thing

Actually no I'm against Digital because I like to know I own a hard copy of that game and not just some gigabytes on a harddrive which could become faulty, I just like know i actually have something i have bought, and I'm talking retro times for the PS4 as well, think about it most people sell on there systems at the end, and in 10 years most people would of been done with the PS4, if you went all digital, then all your games are lost at the end of the gen and when you sell it on, all you have to sell is a system with no games because all the games are register to you, unlike someone who bought all phyiscal at the end of the gen and are ready to sell and move on, I'll have my PS4 and 50+ games to sell along with it, making alot more money than the person who decided to buy all digital.

of course that only matters if the person is selling the system and moving on, but with digital what have you got to show for it, all that money wasted on many games you may never play again and no chance of selling them on

It hurts the industry and it's gross, I don't buy anything with hopes to resell it later. I hope I never get so desperate that I have to.

I have all the consoles I've ever owned with the games, that's part of the reason I like digital. You can only have so many thousand games when you need to start planing out actual space in your house for it.

It doesn't hurt the industry, used games have been around for years, back in the days of the amiga, it was as simple to copy a game onto a blank floppy disc as it is to breath. That's fine for you, keep all your games, but what I'm talking about is what a lot of people do, they sell there old consoles and buy into the new ones, so if we end up going all digital, all that person has to show at the end of the gen, are games which are fixed to his/her account and there system, and if they wanted to sell it on, not for desperation but just for moving on, all they have to sell is the system. I'm not desperate to sell, I probably will never sell, I just love to collect I like having everything on show, I guess it's personaly choice, plus I live in England, and our Digital games are double what you buy them from a store, so I guess my mind may change once them come down to steam levels of pricing, just like to point out my collection of PC games are all digital.

#48 Posted by TheDarkWolf86 (584 posts) -
@mdk12345 said:

Did you buy the game via the servers? Yes. Are the downloaded games on your hard drive? Yes. Can the company responsible for the game randomly just remove the game from the specific server because they are no longer receiving revenue from that particular game? Yes...unfortunately they can. It sucks! I remember with the PS3...after the download/installation was complete, the games information would state that in the event that the game is no longer available, you will no longer be able to play said game. Obviously...I did not directly quote them. But the premise is still the same. Think back when you would download a BETA. At first you could click onto that particular game every evening and then once they closed the servers/game...you were no longer able to play that game and eventually would delete the game out of spite. It happens. This is why I personally like to buy/rent the physical games. I can resell the physical copy or I can return the rental. If you buy a digital copy of the game you are forced to keep it and TRY to enjoy the game or just delete it. There are no take backs or refunds for downloaded games.

#49 Edited by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@bezza2011 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@mdk12345 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@d_parker said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TheTenth10 said:

They're the same thing

You are a very funny dude. Much too complex for my puny brain to understand. Let's back up a little for one minute. You still have every console you have ever owned. You seem to not sell anything you have. That resembles a collector.

On the other hand, you want all digital, which doesn't resemble a collector.

Why would you not sell any of the systems you've ever owned?

For someone not really a collector but doesn't sell his stuff, you come across as a Sony Pony. You just want to do what's best for the company. Well I am a consumer. It's not about the company, it's about the consumer. They just want our money, no point in being loyal to consoles and companies. They don't do us right.

It's okay to do you first. For someone like you that doesn't even care about physical collections, I suggest you sell all your consoles and games you don't play anymore. You can get a lot of money back and not have to worry about the ''space.''

#50 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (2186 posts) -

Well you own a license to the software, but if PSN for ps3 gets taken down and you don't have it installed good luck trying to get a copy of it. The shitty thing about digital on consoles is when the console life span ends so does your ability to re download or use your uninstalled games that needed the servers to download/authenticate.