Do You Get Tax Twice For Buying PSN Cards?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18825 Posts
I was listening to a podcast and one of the topics were PSN cards. It was pointed out that PSN cards bought at retail are $20 plus tax and when u buy items on PSN store u get tax again. IS this true than its a shame
Cwest423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Cwest423
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts
I don't have a PSN card but for buying regular gift cards there is no tax. And when I use my credit card on the PSN when it says it is 19.99 then they charge 19.99 no tax.
Avatar image for cloud_strife007
cloud_strife007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cloud_strife007
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
Unless you are in a state where sony has a physical store (do they even have these), then you don't pay sales tax. Even then, since its a digital product I'm not sure. Although TECHNICALLY you are supposed to turn around and pay that sales tax to your own state...but no one does this. So no, you shoudl not be taxed twice, unless you want to be a good citizen and mail your 5% to your state.
budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
The cost of a PSN card is 20 or 50 including tax. There is never tax charged for gift cards/certificates.
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
you never pay tax on gift cards. which is what psn cards are classified as.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I've never paid tax on PSN content.
Avatar image for cloud_strife007
cloud_strife007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cloud_strife007
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
so it looks like you won't get taxed once, let alone twice.
ChiefMahwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiefMahwoo
Member since 2007 • 355 Posts
you do not pay tax on cards? When I got my $20 card at blockbuster I had to pay a tax on the card. Then I went and bought stardust hd and got taxed on that too. Taxed on game i can see but why on the card? It is a gift card.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSP107

you do not pay tax on cards? When I got my $20 card at blockbuster I had to pay a tax on the card. Then I went and bought stardust hd and got taxed on that too. Taxed on game i can see but why on the card? It is a gift card.ChiefMahwoo

see thats crazy. See if ppl want to buy Wipeout HD which is $20, does that mean Sony is forcing ppl to buy the $50 card? PSN cards are rip offs

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

see thats crazy. See if ppl want to buy Wipeout HD which is $20, does that mean Sony is forcing ppl to buy the $50 card? PSN cards are rip offsPSP107

There are $20 PSN cards. :|

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PSP107

[QUOTE="PSP107"]see thats crazy. See if ppl want to buy Wipeout HD which is $20, does that mean Sony is forcing ppl to buy the $50 card? PSN cards are rip offsemitsu97

yeah but u have to pay tax.

ChiefMahwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiefMahwoo
Member since 2007 • 355 Posts
[QUOTE="emitsu97"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"]see thats crazy. See if ppl want to buy Wipeout HD which is $20, does that mean Sony is forcing ppl to buy the $50 card? PSN cards are rip offsPSP107

i got taxed on the card and on the game which sucks.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="emitsu97"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"]see thats crazy. See if ppl want to buy Wipeout HD which is $20, does that mean Sony is forcing ppl to buy the $50 card? PSN cards are rip offsChiefMahwoo

i got taxed on the card and on the game which sucks.

thats crazy

Sentarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Sentarx
Member since 2004 • 93 Posts

yeah i got taxed on my 20$ card... i was like thats BS! wtf sony this really puts some ppl off and really makes MS look much better

and i got taxed on all the content i bought on psn with it which further angered me and i laughed at how sony made comments about using psn over live marketplace and how you'll get more out of it, i was like bs i get much more out of live and i dont get taxed so F U sony

GarysLaptop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 GarysLaptop
Member since 2006 • 400 Posts

Big deal, atleast it's free to hook up to the PSN. I've NEVER been taxed for those stupid cards. You dont have to pay activation fee's for them, and there is NO TAX.

Just use your Credit Card on the PSN, it's sooooo much faster and easier.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

yeah i got taxed on my 20$ card... i was like thats BS! wtf sony this really puts some ppl off and really makes MS look much better

and i got taxed on all the content i bought on psn with it which further angered me and i laughed at how sony made comments about using psn over live marketplace and how you'll get more out of it, i was like bs i get much more out of live and i dont get taxed so F U sony

Sentarx
Yes but you have to regulary pay to use Live where as the PSN is free, its your CHOICE to but stuff from the Playstation Store. I haven't, and dont plan to. I dont believe in paying for DLC.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiefMahwoo"]you do not pay tax on cards? When I got my $20 card at blockbuster I had to pay a tax on the card. Then I went and bought stardust hd and got taxed on that too. Taxed on game i can see but why on the card? It is a gift card.PSP107

see thats crazy. See if ppl want to buy Wipeout HD which is $20, does that mean Sony is forcing ppl to buy the $50 card? PSN cards are rip offs

The guy you quoted is either lying or lives in a state that rapes you for taxes. Some states were talking about charging taxes on digital downloads, and if that was the case there would be nothing Sony could do about it and MS would be doing it, too. I assure you. I taken a $20 bill to Walmart and walked out with a $20 PSN card. I got it home and bought $19.99 Watchmen game and guess what...... I had 1 cent left in my PSN wallet. There's no ripoff in that.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#18 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
you never pay tax on gift cards. which is what psn cards are classified as.navstar29
Yeah I never paid Tax on any cards if you do you would be paying more than they are worth on the card you know?
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nephilim83

Sentarx
Dude, where do you live? You must live in a crazy state for that. And if you do its not Sony's fault. If you get taxed for a Sony card then you get taxed for an MS card, too. The only reason MS points aren't taxed is because they're not an actual currency. Sony does not tax within the PSN store. Go check again.
Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts

I live in Chicago and I get taxed on the PSN store :(

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
[QUOTE="Sentarx"]

Nephilim83
Dude, where do you live? You must live in a crazy state for that. And if you do its not Sony's fault. If you get taxed for a Sony card then you get taxed for an MS card, too. The only reason MS points aren't taxed is because they're not an actual currency. Sony does not tax within the PSN store. Go check again.

I get taxed on PSN and I live in Texas. Damn!
justified615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 justified615
Member since 2007 • 704 Posts

I live in Tennesse, and I have bought two $20 PSN cards in the past and I wasn't taxed for either one of them at Walmart. They both costed 20 dollars flat.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nephilim83
[QUOTE="Nephilim83"][QUOTE="Sentarx"]

chathuranga

I get taxed on PSN and I live in Texas. Damn!

See, that's where that "No income tax" comes back to bite you the ***. :P Seriously, though, that sucks. I live in Alabama and don't pay taxes on PSN cards. Like I said you can't blame SONY for state taxes.
budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
A retailer is not supposed to tax anyone on a PSN card, if they do speak to a manager or go somewhere else. When you buy any sort of gift card you are merely exchanging currency, not purchasing anything. However, depending on your area, the store does charge tax on sales themselves.
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

I live in Chicago and I get taxed on the PSN store :(

Thetaguru
I never used to get taxed but now I do. I also live in Chicago. When I first used to buy stuff I wes never taxed the last few years but now they do. No wayaround it, if you change billing address from whats listed on the CC it won't work either.
ASLplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ASLplease
Member since 2009 • 177 Posts

I never get taxed when I buy PSN Cards from 7-11.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

There is never tax on gift cards or PSN purchases.

Either you don't pay attention or you are finding things to be outraged about.